Why do Apple fans brag about cash? For the same reason that Blackberry fans brag about security. Smoke and mirrors; that's all it is.
    10-21-13 07:36 PM
    Well, if Apple were truly as generous as you think possible then they are doing an appalling job of marketing, because for many this is a clear marketing advantage. And I never ask for donations. I get paid to do sophisticate research and I use the profits to fund our own research. So I really don't care if you think I'm bombastic... I earn my keep and owe nothing to anyone.

Posted via CB10
    For someone who earns his keep, you sure are hostile to those who don't give handouts you think you deserve. As far as Apple is concerned, I could care less if they arew generous. It is their money- not mine.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-13 07:39 PM
    People are welcome to do as they wish with their money. But if they want me and a great many others to buy their products they need to demonstrate that their profits do more than line their pockets.

And, btw, what was idiotic in your post was the implication that my complaint about science funding was somehow sour grapes. It is all of humankind's concern and we as consumers should demand that profitable corporations do their part. And if they refuse, then we should take our business elsewhere.

Posted via CB10
    Weird, because I didn't read your post before posting a general comment. I think most CBers know I do not avoid quoting people I'm engaging with.
    10-21-13 07:42 PM
    Ha, it just goes to show you how many people come to these forums and don't have foggiest idea of reality and just plain talking out of their a** LOL - Kind of makes them look like a complete fool don't you think?
    apple has 200 billion dollars in the bank and they issued bonds to pay for it?
    10-22-13 01:39 AM
    Yep, to avoid repatriating profits and getting raped on taxes, cheaper to pay the interest.
    10-22-13 05:46 AM
    Yep, to avoid repatriating profits and getting raped on taxes, cheaper to pay the interest.
    WRONG!

Sent from my BlackBerry - remember me!
    10-22-13 06:02 AM
    Okay......... Beer? Nah, just ******* wit ya......

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworst...issuing-bonds/

WRONG!

10-22-13 06:14 AM
    Okay......... Beer? Nah, just ******* wit ya......

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworst...issuing-bonds/
    Hahaha

10-22-13 06:45 AM
    Cash on hand matters to investors, not to consumers. Apple stockpiling cash like they do does not reflect on their operations or products at all. It just means it's probably time for a stock buy back.
    In terms of Apple users "bragging" about Apple's cash vs. Blackberry users talking about cash on hand- not the same. Just about every time I have heard Blackberry's cash being mentioned it was to rebuke the assertion that the company is insolvent. Not exactly the same as bragging about $ on hand.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 07:12 AM
    Maybe that's why people like google too, soon they will catch up to apple since they are "the next big thing".

Unless apple can actually innovate for once.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 07:19 AM
    What would you like to see that "innovative"? People throw that word around like they know what it means.

Maybe that's why people like google too, soon they will catch up to apple since they are "the next big thing".

Posted via CB10
    rohetaku likes this.
    10-22-13 07:22 AM
    Exactly. The interest paid on the bonds (far less than 10%) will be far less than the amount of taxes the company would've paid (35%) to repatriate the same funds.
    10-22-13 07:49 AM

Posted via CB10
    Good point. I mean, what has Apple ever done that's innovative?

/s
    10-22-13 07:50 AM
    Exactly. The interest paid on the bonds (far less than 10%) will be far less than the amount of taxes the company would've paid (35%) to repatriate the same funds.
    I also believe that the pricing of the bonds was also very advantageous to Apple. They have a very good financial team.
    10-22-13 08:54 AM
    Once again, it's not $200 billion. Feel free to stick to the actual facts.
    10-22-13 08:59 AM
    Dumbest thread I've seen on here in ages. Can't believe it's run 5 pages based on an unsubstantiated claim.

Most "Apple fans" I know (those who use Apple products and like them) have no idea what a Reality Distortion Field is, and doesn't care about Apple's cash pile or whether or not Steve Jobs was Mother Theresa.
    bbq10l and tack like this.
    10-22-13 09:52 AM
    I could care less...
    * couldn't.

I'm all like.
    10-22-13 04:52 PM
    Dumbest thread I've seen on here in ages. Can't believe it's run 5 pages based on an unsubstantiated claim.

Most "Apple fans" I know (those who use Apple products and like them) have no idea what a Reality Distortion Field is, and doesn't care about Apple's cash pile or whether or not Steve Jobs was Mother Theresa.
    I agree on all counts.

I used Microsoft products from my first computer in 2000 up to exacly a year ago.

The things you state that Apple users don't care about, I also do not care about. What I do know, even though I maintain many computers in my house, Microsoft and two Blackberrys, and a MacBook Pro as my business machine and an iPad Mini for field work, is that Apple products work. Everytime and flawlessly. Everytime. I wouldn't run my business exclusively from a laptop if it were not dependable. I couldn't do it with an HP, Samsung or Toshiba machine. I tried. Didn't cut it. Being obssessed with cash, etc. is really a lack of focus. I couldn't care less what is cool or whether I'm "on board," my devices all work, including two Kindles. I need no other info than that about the company. As long as they work, I'll never call them. I'm very Ok with that.

I don't own an iPhone. BlackBerry is all I use.
    I'm all like.
    Last edited by kellyjdrummer; 10-23-13 at 01:47 AM.
    10-22-13 05:28 PM
    Yes - apple has a lot of cash, and yes, it's iPhoners cash in a way. It only proves that they paid too much for their phones and that the Chinese who are building the thing are underpaid (and they riot - but their good boss installed suicide gates/nets, so we're good).
    And well, even the Americans don't get the benefit from the tax on that cash as apple, like many others, harvest the fruit of tax heaven. All is good with the world and there's an app for that.
    10-22-13 05:40 PM
    There is a saying in business: "Cash is King"

Cash keeps you healthy in hard times. Cash funds R&D, marketing, and yes, charity, things that need funding before they create cash or revenue. Cash is why GM failed in 2009 and Ford did not.

In terms of charitable donations, I like to test people who say others should give more to charity by asking want percentage of your earnings you gave to charity the last few years! Most don't give yet complain about others. My guess is most of you fit that.

It is business, not a non profit. They don't have to give anything. It is their money and their shareholders cash. It is good community support to give, but how much is enough? (Especially to satisfy the Apple ha ters)

Get over it and guy products from others if you are upset. Lastly, the gates foundation is not Microsoft, it is Bill Gates.
    10-22-13 07:08 PM
    Yes - apple has a lot of cash, and yes, it's iPhoners cash in a way. It only proves that they paid too much for their phones and that the Chinese who are building the thing are underpaid (and they riot - but their good boss installed suicide gates/nets, so we're good).
    And well, even the Americans don't get the benefit from the tax on that cash as apple, like many others, harvest the fruit of tax heaven. All is good with the world and there's an app for that.
    It shows they have a successful business. People paid market price. Price is what the market will bear. The works runs in market prices, not cost plus. Capitalism!
    10-22-13 07:10 PM
121 ... 345