For me I've found that for my needs I want something that just does it's job. I could've gotten an iPhone or an Android, but to me they almost seem to be too narrow in focus. For example Apple pushes this Retina Display stuff and Android pushes this 1.9GHz processor stuff as killer features. Oh, and the apps.

I really couldn't care less about any of that ****. All I use my BlackBerry for is to check my email, FaceBook, SMS, Twitter, and some RSS feeds. Mostly what has been the real killer features are the little things such as the magnetic holster and the one-anded design.

Admittedly the browser and display does make reading webcomics more difficult, but that's really unnecessary. In the end the only things I'd wish to be improved in BlackBerry OS is in BB6.

After that, it comes to the country. RIM is a Canadian company, so there is no reason to deny that nationality plays a role. Some of you may have heard of Apple's death shops, where their Chinese manufacturing plant has a high rate of suicides. I took out my battery, and my device says "made in Canada", so I can rest easily knowing that it wouldn't take a lifetime for a worker to be able to purchase on of the millions of devices s/he helps build.

So, yeah. My reasons are not based on cold hard facts such as specs or price or features.

Deal.
    11-07-10 10:15 PM
    I always looked at some of my friends typing away on their BBs in the past years, while I had some junky flip phone, that I used for nothing else but as an emergency thing, no texting, no sms-ing, none of the internet stuff. Call me old school, and although many people think I'm older than I am (35), I had no interest in texting and social networking, beside checking my facebook on my computer.

On the other hand, I'm very much a tech-inclined person, always had a computer since age 10, and that includes Commodore 64, various Macs from the 90s and all the way up to today, with a trio-boot computer (linux/win7/winxp), custom built by me.

So, what drawn me to the BB is technology, and especially the sheer amount of configuration. Simple people just say "this guy likes things that are complicated and has many buttons".

Why not Iphone? It's just too much dumb-proof , and comparing BBs and Iphones for me is like comparing a professional camera to an expensive point-and-shoot run-of-the-mill camera. Mentioning the Iphone, I messed with an Iphone, before I messed with a BB, although it wasn't mine, I just configured it to my tech-limited friend, and usually when it comes to *****-poof things, but requiring some intelligence, I set his phone up from the first go with wifi and email and all the other stuff, even though I have never touched an Iphone in my life before. (yeah I'm bragging)

While some people want easy and worry free things, I am drawn to the more complicated and sophisticated stuff, and yet more scalability and customization options.

Actually, if the BB would be even more complicated and even more customizable, I would even like it more.

Once, BB would go for the dumb-proof sort of way, I would start to dislike it.

The other thing is women. I have to admit, I got to know someone who only chats on BB messenger, although she also said, she has Gtalk, but uses that less frequently.

I have to say, if you put a gun to my head to choose between phones, I still would go with BB as 1st, then Android based, and lasts the Iphone.
    Last edited by Shodan775; 11-07-10 at 11:09 PM.
    11-07-10 11:04 PM
    Functionality and the style of it my friend. Its beautiful and puts in some serious hours for me in the way I need it to.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-08-10 12:38 AM
    Kind of a combination of things really. Mainly though, it came down to the fact that I like the feel of the BB's, the UI (I know, I'm in the minority I think) of the OS, familiarity, reception quality, and voice quality.

I also got the S2 specifically because I had the S1 before and my spare batteries, chargers, and such transferred. I didn't want to have to spend an extra $200-$300 in accessories and apps by changing to another platform.

Also, at the time (February), there weren't really any options that I would have considered better. The best Android device at that time on VZW was the dreadful MotoDroid.
    11-08-10 01:00 AM
    For practical usage, I love my Blackberry because it does everything I like it to do. I like the fact that it's reliable considering all my BB have outlasted all my beatings. I also like the functionality of the OS how it seamlessly work with other core apps to perform like a computer.
    11-08-10 04:01 AM
    I chose blackberry simply because I wanted to get away from windows mobile so I could test out and try another interface and operating system and the device in general. It has since been adored by me. I had a 8130, now a 9700.

My former PPC 6700 is bricked, very strange how that happened, it never powers on and the battery isn't even fried, reset button makes the LED flicker red, yeah, a sign it's an HTC timebomb that killed it. Many of those PPC/XV 6700's died because of this too.

11-08-10 04:26 AM
    Because it does what I need it to do and does it well, in a nutshell
    11-08-10 04:48 AM
    Because with my berry, I am the boss. I get to decide which OS she will run on or what look she will sport on different days and she still is dang beautiful.
    11-08-10 04:57 AM
    I got into BBs ,in part, as an act of frustration. It was sort of silly, but that's how it happened. I used to have a Windows smartphone on AT&T. I was always having problems with the device. AT&T refused to help me resolve these issues. I became so frustrated that I told them to cancel my contract. I went to Sprint the next day and the only two phones they had I thought were quality device were the Palm Treo and the BB Curve. The Curve had a better camera so I went with that. I had gotten used to having a smartphone at that point. Using the phone to send and receive emails, PIM functions, searching the web, GPS, and social networking had become a part of my everyday routine. I had just happened to get a smartphone that did all of those things really well. I have had tried many different smartphones and dumbphones looking for a perfect fit. Nothing has come close to my BB in meeting my smartphone needs. Of course, I continue to look at the new devices and evaluate what they have to offer, but I have yet come across anything that is as great as my BB.

11-08-10 05:03 AM
    (Circa 2002) I was carrying around a [paper] dayplanner, which was bursting at the seams and losing paper, so I moved to a Palm Pilot, which I adored, but carrying around a Palm Pilot, cell phone (Nokia), and an iPod was annoying the crap out of me...and then along came the Blackberry, which rolled everything into one! (Sort of. It was a 7xxx, so I was still carrying around the iPod! Back in those days, BB's didn't have media players!)

Having all the organizational aspects of the BlackBerry plus phone capabilities was great, and then I became very attracted to the "businessperson" connotations of owning a BlackBerry (yes, I caved to media/marketing!) As soon as the 8700 came out, with it's full keyboard and large screen....well, I was done for :-)

It's funny. Back then, I was the only person I knew who had a BlackBerry (until my boyfriend came along. He had the same model, so I knew he was good people...I even remember coming home from our first date, gushing about "he has a Blackberry...SO HE KNOWS!" ) Now, all but two of my friends are on BBM- I only get text messages from my Mom!
    11-08-10 05:28 AM
    they showed that damned torch commercial one time too many during the playoffs.
    11-08-10 08:02 AM
    Why did i pick my current smart-phone.
    1) Browser
    2) speed
    3) sync with my google account
    4) application

11-08-10 08:25 AM
    I wanted a touchscreen smartphone and at the time this is all that was available.
    11-08-10 08:57 AM
    I decided to go with BlackBerry in 2006 when I went to Nextel because only business mean had BlackBerrys and I wanted to be the youngest person I knew of with one. However, the guy that worked there told me that it could not send text messages, only emails. Being only 18, I would not have survived without texting.

I switched to AT&T in 2007 for the curve 8300 and I've never looked back. I loved being able to email, web browse, organize all of my tasks, and using the full keyboard. The Iphone nor any android device interests enough to leave my BlackBerry....
    11-08-10 09:01 AM
    I bought a used 8330 since I had to sell my storm 2 and droid for a little bit of extra cash awhile ago. The 8330 does everything I need perfectly like emails, BBM, FB, and everything else. My verizon contract is up in January so hopefully Sprint will have a torch style BB by then.
    11-08-10 10:23 AM
    luv the practicality of the sets ...
    11-08-10 10:47 AM
    BB Curve 8330. I have it because it was buy one, get one free.

11-08-10 04:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD