1. Rajesh Kumar Junge's Avatar
    Is there any any issue in regarding building up BlackBerry OS as a great secure leader
    06-10-19 01:02 AM
  2. BigBadWulf's Avatar
    Nope! If you had unlimited capital and a willingness to sign a licensing agreement, you too could lose the budget of a small nation and all your will.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-10-19 01:20 AM
  3. John Albert's Avatar
    No issue. Just its building up requires spending billions of dollars with low probability of success and high probability of company bankruptcy.
    app_Developer likes this.
    06-10-19 01:21 AM
  4. bakron1's Avatar
    It’s called supply and demand, the demand (consumer) went elsewhere, so the supply was no longer needed.
    06-10-19 08:09 AM
  5. Dunt Dunt Dunt's Avatar
    Is there any any issue in regarding building up BlackBerry OS as a great secure leader
    Company was too late (5 years) and too small (even huge Microsoft couldn't do it) to deliver a competitive product that App Developers could get behind.

    Secure Leader.... security is a tough thing to sell to consumers.
    06-10-19 08:16 AM
  6. thurask's Avatar
    Inability to compete.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    06-10-19 11:21 AM
  7. mrsimon's Avatar
    if Microsoft couldn't do it, it doesn't bode well for other pretenders, does it?
    I'm surprised there are only 2 in the world though.
    06-10-19 11:41 AM
  8. Troy Tiscareno's Avatar
    It shouldn't. There are two desktop OSs for the same reason. Developers want enough diversity to reach the two major groups of consumers (the Apple "closed standards" and the Windows/Android "open standards"), without needlessly slowing development or running up costs.

    Even in 2012, Android + Apple = 90% market share, with the remaining 10% split between several others. If you are a developer, and you have to spend $500,000 to develop your app for iOS, and another $500,000 for Android, and you now cover 90% or more of the market, does it make sense to spend another $500,000 to try to get the 4% on WinPhone or the 2.5% on BB10? In most cases, no. It's pretty simple math.

    And even if you have a financial giant like Microsoft willing to foot the bill for your initial development, you still have the ongoing costs of maintenance and support, without a large enough user base to pay for it.

    And you also realize that some of those WinPhone and BB10 users are going to use your service anyway, either via the mobile web (with its inherent limitations), by using the Android app on a runtime, or by dual-carrying a supported device. So now your missing coverage is even smaller.

    And going even further, you know that people who REALLY need your app will switch to a supported device (whether primary or dual carry), so the problem solves itself.

    That's exactly how it played out.
    06-10-19 03:29 PM
  9. Chuck Finley69's Avatar
    It shouldn't. There are two desktop OSs for the same reason. Developers want enough diversity to reach the two major groups of consumers (the Apple "closed standards" and the Windows/Android "open standards"), without needlessly slowing development or running up costs.

    Even in 2012, Android + Apple = 90% market share, with the remaining 10% split between several others. If you are a developer, and you have to spend $500,000 to develop your app for iOS, and another $500,000 for Android, and you now cover 90% or more of the market, does it make sense to spend another $500,000 to try to get the 4% on WinPhone or the 2.5% on BB10? In most cases, no. It's pretty simple math.

    And even if you have a financial giant like Microsoft willing to foot the bill for your initial development, you still have the ongoing costs of maintenance and support, without a large enough user base to pay for it.

    And you also realize that some of those WinPhone and BB10 users are going to use your service anyway, either via the mobile web (with its inherent limitations), by using the Android app on a runtime, or by dual-carrying a supported device. So now your missing coverage is even smaller.

    And going even further, you know that people who REALLY need your app will switch to a supported device (whether primary or dual carry), so the problem solves itself.

    That's exactly how it played out.
    But if BB had just spent more cash on advertising the petition to start a BB10 go fund me or Kickstarter page
    app_Developer likes this.
    06-10-19 06:59 PM
  10. Emaderton3's Avatar
    But if BB had just spent more cash on advertising the petition to start a BB10 go fund me or Kickstarter page
    Yes but if only. It would be top dog.
    06-10-19 07:39 PM
  11. BigBadWulf's Avatar
    Yes but if only. It would be top dog.
    I think you're on to something! Imagine all the OS named after a cute dog.

    Why did Blackberry OS come to end ?-underdog_cartoon.jpg

    Why did Blackberry OS come to end ?-old-yeller.jpg

    Why did Blackberry OS come to end ?-82163_full.jpg

    Why did Blackberry OS come to end ?-mpss-character-peabody.jpg

    Why did Blackberry OS come to end ?-lassie.jpg

    Why did Blackberry OS come to end ?-scooby-doo-cartoon.jpg

    Why did Blackberry OS come to end ?-101-dalmatians-05.jpg

    Why did Blackberry OS come to end ?-airbuddunk.jpg

    Why did Blackberry OS come to end ?-02-astro-jetsons-famous-pets-tv-movies-1.jpg

    Advertising...pfffft!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-10-19 11:37 PM
  12. Golfdriver97's Avatar
    I think you're on to something! Imagine all the OS named after a cute dog.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Underdog_cartoon.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	444790

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old-yeller.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	444791

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	82163_full.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	444792

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MPSS-character-peabody.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	444793

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lassie.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	182.8 KB 
ID:	444794

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scooby-doo-cartoon.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	444795

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101-Dalmatians-05.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	267.1 KB 
ID:	444796

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	airbuddunk.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	516.0 KB 
ID:	444797

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02-Astro-The-Jetsons-famous-pets-from-TV-and-movies-1.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	444798

    Advertising...pfffft!
    Well, I did find this: https://astro-os.github.io/
    BigBadWulf and Laura Knotek like this.
    06-10-19 11:58 PM
  13. BigBadWulf's Avatar
    Well, I did find this: https://astro-os.github.io/
    Gnome environment... yeah baby!
    Golfdriver97 and Laura Knotek like this.
    06-11-19 12:04 AM
  14. Bla1ze's Avatar
    But if BB had just spent more cash on advertising the petition to start a BB10 go fund me or Kickstarter page
    They only needed several billion. Surely they could have just added a $2.99 monthly fee and made it up.
    app_Developer likes this.
    06-11-19 02:27 PM
  15. Chuck Finley69's Avatar
    They only needed several billion. Surely they could have just added a $2.99 monthly fee and made it up.
    LOL

    So you’re saying there’s a chance.....
    06-11-19 03:52 PM
  16. LuxuryTouringZone's Avatar
    Very poor sales and very poor application support. As much as I like the OS, that's exactly why it has come to face the year of its official death.
    06-11-19 09:40 PM

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-25-19, 09:08 AM
  2. BlackBerry Mobile (TCL) Ambiguous Strategy
    By John Albert in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-13-19, 09:01 PM
  3. is there a way to disable the blackberry launcher?
    By hakk99 in forum BlackBerry Leap
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-12-19, 10:41 PM
  4. Spike Lee prefers his BlackBerry for Typing!
    By Tsepz_GP in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-12-19, 04:12 PM
  5. From Bold 9930 to KEYone
    By voyhavana in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-09-19, 02:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD