Some of us were hoping to get a peak at the new BBX phones. We did not get that. What we did get at the Developers Conference was a roadmap for RIM to support app developers succeed in our platform.
    TAT did not just start cranking away at apps (though I suspect they will be deeply involved in apps with the new BBX phones) but instead showed awesome tools that are NOW available for ALL developers to build awesome BlackBerry apps. These app will be easily ported to OS7, Playbook an BBX devices. The users (us) win big time.

There seems to be a torrent of apps building up on the android player already and this is a good thing.

I hope that RIM looked at how their own sales went down for the previous quarter as all of us that follow BlackBerry held out for the new OS7 devices. Also, apple had a miss on the iPhone sales for this quarter because everyone was holding out for the new iPhone that was three months behind schedule.
    I take it as RIM finally starting to figure out how to use excitement around a new product launch. I don't think they did a good job launching the Playbook to be honest. Talking about it six months to a year before release? I think this is better. Hold your new secrets until the device is ready and then Wow the competition and users.

I love my Bold 9930 and Playbook. Sure, I welcome the new apps but I'm pretty happy right now. I'm also glad that RIM is being better about product launches. RIM makes nice stuff as we all know but the have not been as good at marketing as we also know. Maybe they are finally getting the memo on this as well.

Bottom line, DevCon showed that there are tons of apps coming our way pretty soon. I'm ready and I don't let troll confuse me about that. I hope RIM proves them wrong and I'm sticking with them. Go RIM!!
    10-21-11 05:30 PM
    I agree with you a 100%. This is exactly what I was thinking.
    10-22-11 05:23 AM
    I was thinking we won't see the benefits of DevCon for another year! So people patiently awaiting the next big move by RIM should be sorely disappointed. But on the upside, my contract with my BB is for close to another year so hopefully by then we will not only see Android Player on QNX for Playbook, but also on QNX or BBX Blackberries!!!

Imagine this, Blackberry running BBX OS w/ Android Player with the great QWERTY keyboards BB's are known for, touchscreen, trackpad, and hopefully still has a strong enough battery! I will take mine in Bold form please! Maybe that is a pipe dream, but by the time I renew my contract, I am hoping its a reality.

For now, I still like my Blackberry, but I can understand how people who are coming to the end of their contracts are switching platforms since there has been no big catalyst for BB's in quite some time. Yes, BB OS7 and the new phones look awesome, but they still suffer from lack of flash support and app support.

I think Android phones continue to push the envelope on handhelds and even Apple has fallen well behind the best Android phones when it comes to tech. I luv the way Blackberries work and feel, but nothing but negative press in everything from Playbooks not selling, missed deadlines, public apologies, the servers being down, a plummeting stock price, laughably bad or non-existent marketing, doom and gloom, etc. just give RIM and their products a negative vibe everywhere...

I still luv my Playbook but have to wait for OS2.0 since that beta is more for developers than users. I still luv my Torch 9800 even though its over a year old and painfully slow next to what I am seeing out all smartphones now.
    10-22-11 07:56 AM
    DevCon was more of the same.

More promises, more disappointments... Smoke and mirrors. With RIM, i'll believe it when I see it.
    K Bear likes this.
    10-22-11 08:49 AM
    DevCon was more of the same.

More promises, more disappointments... Smoke and mirrors. With RIM, i'll believe it when I see it.
    Aren't there enough other threads to go pi$$ on RIM in? Did you really need to come into this one to do it again? Really????? See the title of the thread, and let's please keep this one on topic and just a little positive, if that's at all possible.

I completely agree with the OP. And to further that thought, I think the hints of new features we did see in OS 2 were simply examples of what will be possible with the new developer tools, particularly the bridge functionality through the browser. I'm thinking they're shooting towards focusing on an html5-based app environment, which I believe could leapfrog them past everybody else as far as app development capabilities go. I do see signs that they've recognized their sins of the past and have taken the necessary corrective action that should solidly position them to regain a competitive position and keep it for a good long time.
    Last edited by 18to7fiddy; 10-22-11 at 10:24 AM.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    10-22-11 10:20 AM
    I do see signs that they've recognized their sins of the past and have taken the necessary corrective action that should solidly position them to regain a competitive position and keep it for a good long time.
    I hope you are right.
    10-22-11 10:26 AM
    I'm not sure if this is DevCon specific but I think the ability to port the android apps into their playbook is going to up sales for them quite a bit.

Everyone is looking for a good quality tablet that isn't super expensive. With the drop in Playbook prices and the ability to run Android apps, you're going to see a lot of Android fans picking up the Playbook.
    10-22-11 10:48 AM
    Agree. I'm just excited to see what BBX will offer and hopefully by Q 3 of 2012 we'll have a slate of new devices to get excited about
    10-22-11 12:04 PM
    I'm not sure if this is DevCon specific but I think the ability to port the android apps into their playbook is going to up sales for them quite a bit.

Everyone is looking for a good quality tablet that isn't super expensive. With the drop in Playbook prices and the ability to run Android apps, you're going to see a lot of Android fans picking up the Playbook.
    Unfortunatelly, most retailers have raised their prices again. I have to agree though, that the promotional price was a brilliant idea. They really should consider bringing it back because I've already had a handful of friends tell me they wish they caught the lower pricing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-11 01:29 PM
    Better than that....... Let the QNX/BBX device toggle between android and QNX/BBX. Best of the both worlds. Something like bootcamp

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-11 01:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD