I agree that it's unclear, unless of course you read the description of the app you're downloading in the app store. It's nothing new but could be better explained.

http://www.imore.com/2012/02/28/psa-...d-camera-roll/

The iMessage bug is a bit more of an issue at the moment and one corporations should be seriously looking at.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    Any company issuing corporate phones or allowing people to bring their own iOS device on a network where security is an issue will have an Exchance Policy to disable the iOS camera active. Exchange has this policy, and iOS supports it as well as having its Browser Disabled by the Exchange Server.

So, in the context of this discussion, this post is almost useless.
    02-29-12 01:09 AM
    Any company issuing corporate phones or allowing people to bring their own iOS device on a network where security is an issue will have an Exchance Policy to disable the iOS camera active. Exchange has this policy, and iOS supports it as well as having its Browser Disabled by the Exchange Server.

Lol, what you said has nothing to do with what he said. Do you even know about the imessage bug?
    02-29-12 01:37 AM
    The government having access is not the same as any dbag off the street. I really don't think I need to say more.. It's common sense
    You're asking for something that is impossible for the usual suspects to muster up. Sense.

Seriously? Comparing government agencies to random app developers?

No, the government isn't devoid of wrong doing. But to attempt to deflect yet *another* exposed vulnerability by saying the government can do it is just too obvious a deflection of blame. True, the government can access anything it damn well feels like accessing whenever it damn well feels like accessing it. Sometimes they do it lawfully and sometimes they get their hands caught in the cookie jar and all h3ll breaks loose if there is an invasion of privacy. It's the government. If you don't like that so live in an island in pure isolationist anarchy.

If having a million apps costs my and my family's privacy, I will take my core apps I use every day and give up trying to follow DC Food Truck Fiesta, thank you very much.

And no, I don't want Aunt Maybel's pics available anywhere, Rick!!!
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 02-29-12 at 05:32 AM.
    jivegirl14 likes this.
    02-29-12 05:28 AM
    You guys are funny...don't you think the NSA or any government agency like the FBI can't hack into Blackberries?
    If RIM lost to the Arab countries and India, don't you think here in Canada and States don't have access?

LOL
    Of course they have access. And if they access my information without a lawful reason to do so I will get the ACLU involved.
    Which is a completely different story from having some yahoo access my family's pictures.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 02-29-12 at 05:54 AM.
    02-29-12 05:35 AM
    I laughed when I read that news story about the guy from America that was on vacation in Prague or someplace and saw a large poster of his neighbor's family in a store window. He called his neighbor and said, "Hey, I didn't know you've gone into advertising." His neighbor was like, "I haven't." The proprietor had found the picture on facebook and decided to use it!
    02-29-12 06:06 AM
    Oh, and before someone says what's that got to do with app developers having access to ones private files, the answer is a lot. The point is that end users are allowing access to all this stuff and have no idea what it might be used for by someone else.
    02-29-12 06:21 AM
    You guys are funny...don't you think the NSA or any government agency like the FBI can't hack into Blackberries?
    If RIM lost to the Arab countries and India, don't you think here in Canada and States don't have access?

LOL
    Actually, I don't think they (govt) can hack easily. Otherwise those govt would just hack and not ask for access from rim and threaten cutting blackberry connection. But of they ask directly by-law to access directly rim's server. Obviously they cam do that. But its not hacking. Not some hostile govt hacking or peeping tom.(op's original thoughts I guess)
    02-29-12 08:06 AM
    Eh, government do not need to hack. They simply have to ask. Either the company gives it to 'em or they're done for. It's an obvious choice really. They only have to hack if your hardware is not connected to any kind of public network

I've read that iPhones and iPads create a snapshot of whatever it is you're doing when you push the only button visible the LCD side of the thing. God help you if you were looking at some kind of brand new fetish video and somebody stole your device

But really, the government is not so dumb to simply switch away because Steve Jobs was the Jesus of computing (he's not, the creator of computer was). They must have their own reasons. Somebody posted a link stating that "cost and ease of use" were the reasons. This is the government we're talking about here. The agents of Cracked on the field may be dumb sometimes (being a human tend to cause you to brain fart) but the government itself is not. They would've put other security layers to offset the loss of BlackBerry. Whether the security is as good as BlackBerry's is another story
    02-29-12 08:47 AM
    There is a flip side to this security argument. It makes it EASIER for the agency/company to track their individual employees haha.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-29-12 08:51 AM
    I get the vibe that many people here probably pay hundreds of dollars a year for antivirus software.... If you feel as if you are incompetent enough as a user to allow yourself to be a target, then I suppose you have valid claims. But here's the bottom line though: no one gives a rats about your damn photos. And trust me, most of you aren't important enough to even track. So lets stop flattering ourselves. Now unless you keep can't tell a bad app from one that's not, or have sensitive info stored locally (ssn, ccn, ect.) --all of which brings us back to end user incompetence-- then why worry? In many ways security works as a placebo. Its there to make things better, psychologically. But at the end it will always no matter what be the end users error.

Sent from the best mobile device ever --Samsung Galaxy Note
    Skier1960 likes this.
    02-29-12 09:08 AM
    I get the vibe that many people here probably pay hundreds of dollars a year for antivirus software.... If you feel as if you are incompetent enough as a user to allow yourself to be a target, then I suppose you have valid claims. But here's the bottom line though: no one gives a rats about your damn photos. And trust me, most of you aren't important enough to even track. So lets stop flattering ourselves. Now unless you keep can't tell a bad app from one that's not, or have sensitive info stored locally (ssn, ccn, ect.) --all of which brings us back to end user incompetence-- then why worry? In many ways security works as a placebo. Its there to make things better, psychologically. But at the end it will always no matter what be the end users error.

From a personal perspective you are absolutely correct. From a company one you are dead wrong. Information that SHOULDNT be sent over e-mail is sent via e-mail all the time. Sensitive documents, government official's schedules etc. This data should and needs to be secured. There are people out there that possess a great deal of knowledge for companies and governments that should not have that information sent. The reason the security exists is to protect against THAT. End users will ALWAYS screw up.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-29-12 09:12 AM

The camera issue isn't an issues to me as i actually read the app description and I know that location services allows access to the camera roll. It's known and can be locked down.

The iMessage bug is known and cannot be fixed unless you have physical access to the device, which is tough if it's been stolen. This should be a concern to corporations and individuals alike. The most robust Exchange server on the planet can't fix the iMessage bug.
    Skier1960 likes this.
    02-29-12 09:14 AM
    I guess some of us have never been hacked or had lost data and whole system from worms and viruses..
    02-29-12 09:15 AM
    I guess some of us have never been hacked or had lost data and whole system from worms and viruses..
    A good hack you will never know about....
    02-29-12 09:17 AM
    From a personal perspective you are absolutely correct. From a company one you are dead wrong. Information that SHOULDNT be sent over e-mail is sent via e-mail all the time. Sensitive documents, government official's schedules etc. This data should and needs to be secured. There are people out there that possess a great deal of knowledge for companies and governments that should not have that information sent. The reason the security exists is to protect against THAT. End users will ALWAYS screw up.
    Absolutely. But why would be installing apps on our work phone anyway? The point is, regardless of operating system, there a loophole. A loophole that only a end user will fall through. Its not fair to say that because a firm uses a particular OS, that it cannot have adequate "security", such as this thread promotes.

02-29-12 09:19 AM
    Absolutely. But why would be installing apps on our work phone anyway? The point is, regardless of operating system, there a loophole. A loophole that only a end user will fall through. Its not fair to say that because a firm uses a particular OS, that it cannot have adequate "security", such as this thread promotes.

Adequate security = good enough security. And I agree with you, companies do a risk analysis on any new product. Sometimes they are right, sometimes they aren't. Obviously on a BB fan site its going to lead to the latter, while on an iOS fan site (for instance) itll trump the former. Its a matter of perspective. As long as people realize there is that invisible line, and make decisions for themselves, more power to them.
    02-29-12 09:21 AM
    The problem being your company's executives and officers count as "end users". Only the IT Guy (and technologically adept) should not be counted as "purely end users"
    02-29-12 09:23 AM
    Only the IT Guy (and technologically adept) should not be counted as "purely end users"
    And it the IT guys that you should worry about as well.
    02-29-12 09:48 AM
    One thing is for sure. Android except maybe ICS.. Maybe.. is an open source OS which means open treasure trove for hackers to find loopholes.. google made 2-step authentication AND sub-key passwords available for individual devices which can be made unusable when compromised. I personally believe google made those because of this fact(which is a good addition). iOS seems better in security because of apple's scrutiny in apps and a good OS overall. Of course BB is good with security issues because if its corporate legacy. Just my 2 cents on security of each OS.
    02-29-12 09:52 AM
    I still think the get rid of RIM campaign is from our government. Yes they can still get what they want but it takes more work to get it. The others they can just get the info. I wonder if these users will like using a locked down iphone any better than using a locked down bb.
    Skier1960 likes this.
    02-29-12 10:02 AM
    I still think the get rid of RIM campaign is from our government. Yes they can still get what they want but it takes more work to get it. The others they can just get the info. I wonder if these users will like using a locked down iphone any better than using a locked down bb.
    Most ee's use whatever the bosses tell them to use. I don't think the average user even knows what "locked down" implies.
    02-29-12 10:37 AM
    And it the IT guys that you should worry about as well.
    Well, technically speaking you need to worry about everybody that is still human, but at least the IT Guy has a much higher chance of knowing what he's doing. After all, it's his job to manage all those IT policy and stuff
    02-29-12 06:59 PM
    Unless I'm going to get involved in criminal activity I'm not going to lose sleep over this subject... The Govt already has all your info,as does your bank and credit card company,etc etc. If they want pics of my ugly old a$$,go at er!!!!
    Last edited by skier1960; 02-29-12 at 07:46 PM.
    02-29-12 07:44 PM
    Unless I'm going to get involved in criminal activity I'm not going to lose sleep over this subject... The Govt already has all your info,as does your bank and credit card company,etc etc. If they want pics of my ugly old a$$,go at er!!!!
    They DON'T want pics and info about you. Your NEIGHBOR does. Your teacher at school. That guy who has beef with you. A guy/girl who is psychotic and is willing to die to have you like in the movies. LOL.

You are clearly missing the point. Everyone is! Don't brush off the security flaws of the 'beloved, dropped from heaven' mobile platform
    02-29-12 09:28 PM
    Corporate Monkeys are a dime a dozen. Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkeys get fired for stuff like this all the time. All they have to do is rub their dirty little butts on the wrong gorilla. The new Monkeys can switch back just as easy as they left.
    02-29-12 09:36 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD