Wow... that sure was a venting. Now I don't have Cingular so I'll give you the best advice I can.

You need to make sure you have a Blackberry data plan on your account. The standard for Cingular with qualifying voice plan is $29.99 a month for unlimited data. Now they may have it bundled in some other way, but I'm just not that familiar with what Cingular has to offer.

Secondly, if I read your post right, you got the 7290 with the intent of tethering it to your laptop? If so, you may want to send it back and get the 8100, 8700, or 8800. The 7290 only uses GPRS with you will find to be much slower than the EDGE you could get on the other devices (of course you have to be in an EDGE service area to get that in the first place). Another thought just occurred as well... Cingular does not let you tether for free. Their tethering plan is $79.99 a month for unlimited data. OUCH!!!

See if any of that helps you, if not let me know what else you need.
    Please disregard
    09-30-15 01:56 PM
    Interesting option, if Intel's ARM processors are on par it would be a good potential.
    Intel would easily wreck everyone in the ARM chips department if they really wanted to put the time and RND into it. When it comes to processors they are just in a different class. Honestly AMD could probably do the same if they weren't in worse shape than BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-15 05:55 PM
    The newest one, the OMAP5432, is from 2013...

Posted via CB10
    STL100-1...?

That was an OMAP, wasn't it?

�   Forget the name, ... Priv it on! :-)   �
    09-30-15 09:15 PM
    Intel would easily wreck everyone in the ARM chips department if they really wanted to put the time and RND into it. When it comes to processors they are just in a different class. Honestly AMD could probably do the same if they weren't in worse shape than BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    AMD needs to survive so Intel doesn't have a monopoly and the DOJ a case... ;-P

09-30-15 09:16 PM
    STL100-1...?

That was an OMAP, wasn't it?

•   Forget the name, ... Priv it on! :-)   •
    OMAP4, so even older.
    09-30-15 09:34 PM

(edit: http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1327833 - new chips. Looks like it's apps that fuel phones sales, if we allow the analogy! )

�   Ahoy, Privateers...! :-)   �
    09-30-15 09:36 PM
    OMAP4, so even older.
    Thought so... :-|

�   Ahoy, Privateers...! :-)   �
    09-30-15 09:37 PM
    Thank God they don't use TI although that seems like a very BlackBerry thing to do.

For evidence that you don't want to use TI just pick up the z10 STL 100-1 and compare that to an STL 100-3 or a moto 360 2014 and compare it to a moto 360 2015. There is only one possible conclusion: **** ti

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition
    09-30-15 10:04 PM

Haha don't worry. I've worked in the PC world so long I've realized that AMD will never go under as a GPU or CPU manufacture . Monopoly laws will save them if Zen and Arctic Islands does not :P

Posted via CB10
    09-30-15 10:39 PM
    Thank God they don't use TI although that seems like a very BlackBerry thing to do.

For evidence that you don't want to use TI just pick up the z10 STL 100-1 and compare that to an STL 100-3 or a moto 360 2014 and compare it to a moto 360 2015. There is only one possible conclusion: **** ti

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition
    IIRC, the TI used in the 100-1 was a downclocked from original specs but were pretty comparaitive when ran on Android devices. I never understood the huge disconnect with the Z10 and that processor.

Also, comparing the Moto 360 is like comparing the moon (2014 - single core OMAP 3) to the sun (2015 - quad core SD400). Can't really say that it is in indictment on TI.
    09-30-15 10:50 PM

Posted via CB10
    AMD bought an ARM company a long while ago. I think both AMD and Intel are looking at server side architecture vs mobile device. Like others have pointed out, it seems to be a race to the bottom within the mobile space.
    10-01-15 07:29 AM
    There are 5 main SoCs used in mobile devices:

• Qualcomm (the clear leader)
    • Apple's A-series (exclusive to Apple)
    • Samsung's Exynos (do they sell these to anyone else?)
    • NVidia - still trying to get mobile right and get the heat down
    • MediaTek - the low-cost Chinese competition to Qualcomm, and what's in most cheap Chinese offerings

For BB, that really only leaves three choices, and of those three, there's a clear winner: Qualcomm.
    I thought ASUS was using Intel's Atom in their latest Android phones. I know they are using the Intel Atom in their new Android tablets.
    10-01-15 08:03 AM
    IIRC, the TI used in the 100-1 was a downclocked from original specs but were pretty comparaitive when ran on Android devices. I never understood the huge disconnect with the Z10 and that processor.

Also, comparing the Moto 360 is like comparing the moon (2014 - single core OMAP 3) to the sun (2015 - quad core SD400). Can't really say that it is in indictment on TI.
    STL 100-1 has TI OMAP 4470 which GPU is actually slightly faster than the GPU on other Z10 variants. The issue with Z10 is the fact that the STL 100-1 was designed for third world countries, thus the lack of LTE connectivity and a few other features, such as white balance.

In fact, I read here in CB that STL 100-1's WiFi chip is actually more capable of WiFi Direct than the other variants', but they didn't implement WiFi Direct so as to not fracture the system even further. IMO they fukt up by splitting Z10's hardware. It only confuses people.

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.2576
    10-01-15 08:26 AM

Posted via CB10
    AMD has K12 ARM design, but slated for 2017.

The last ARM based chip AMD made was 64bit server grade Opteron A1100 in 2014

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.2576
    10-01-15 08:32 AM
    AMD bought an ARM company a long while ago. I think both AMD and Intel are looking at server side architecture vs mobile device. Like others have pointed out, it seems to be a race to the bottom within the mobile space.
    Yeah but unfortunately they can't really afford to try anything big with it. Even SkyBridge got axed.
    10-01-15 10:20 AM
    Incidentally, BlackBerry were testing BlackBerry 10 on alternative hardware at some point in the past. One Marvell platform, and oddly enough, Exynos.

Posted via CB10
    That the thing that makes these cost of the driver rumors kinda questionable. How many beta devices with different processors were there?

I still think it had more to do with meeting original purchase agreements... I can easily see someone at BlackBerry agreeing to buy 10 million of those Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 processor. I bet between the Z10 and Q10 they figured over a 12 - 18 month period that 10 million would not be an issue.
    10-01-15 10:46 AM
    That the thing that makes these cost of the driver rumors kinda questionable. How many beta devices with different processors were there?

I still think it had more to do with meeting original purchase agreements... I can easily see someone at BlackBerry agreeing to buy 10 million of those Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 processor. I bet between the Z10 and Q10 they figured over a 12 - 18 month period that 10 million would not be an issue.
    Don't think we can compare how things were back then to now. The device side had huge budgets as the Z10 was going to take over the world and costs were to be spread out over millions phones. It would make sense in that environment to develop the ability to use several SOC as pitting several companies against each other for the chip costs could contribute alot to the bottom line.
    10-01-15 12:09 PM
    Don't think we can compare how things were back then to now. The device side had huge budgets as the Z10 was going to take over the world and costs were to be spread out over millions phones. It would make sense in that environment to develop the ability to use several SOC as pitting several companies against each other for the chip costs could contribute alot to the bottom line.
    I agree no reason to compare today to back then.... now we can just use whatever chip any other Android OEM is using. And hope that the "partners" are using their buying power to get us a discount on the chips.
    10-01-15 01:10 PM
    I agree no reason to compare today to back then.... now we can just use whatever chip any other Android OEM is using. And hope that the "partners" are using their buying power to get us a discount on the chips.
    I'm sure Foxconn had something to do with the decision for the Privs internals...

Posted via CB10
    10-01-15 07:00 PM
    I thought ASUS was using Intel's Atom in their latest Android phones. I know they are using the Intel Atom in their new Android tablets.
    Yeah nvidia is pretty much dead in mobile and Intel is on the verge of blowing up .I thought Tony's list was odd leaving Intel off and including nvidia. The Nexus 9 was a flop and the Tegra X1 requires fans in the Shield TV. Meanwhile the zenfone 2 has sold well and received great reviews.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-15 07:43 PM
45 12