It can't seem to refresh. I try to save everything to the local phone, but still get this kind of stuff. Update BlackBerry!!!!!

April 8, 2015 115547 AM EDT.png
    04-08-15 10:57 AM
    The attachment is screwed up pal. Can you upload again?
    04-08-15 11:11 AM
    Judging from his Profile Pic he may not be able to upload photos very well..just sayin'.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-15 11:31 AM
    I do agree the contact app needs a huge update!

Posted via CB10
    04-08-15 11:32 AM
    Judging from his Profile Pic he may not be able to upload photos very well..just sayin'.

Posted via CB10
    LOL
    04-08-15 12:59 PM
    It was explained in another topic by someone else that there's this (I'm looking for a word... insipid? Let's use "insipid") insipid distinction between "local contacts" and contacts that are from Facebook or your email / online synce'd contacts or Skype or whatever: and yet, there is no way to easily view ONLY "local contacts" (it is a negative option "turn off all your other contact sources and what remains is "local contacts) and no clear relationship between the data fields in each of them, and there is no clear notion of what "editing a contact" is supposed to do when the contact is linked across multiple sources.

Maybe all of this stuff is hidden because it's supposed to just work perfectly and elegantly and error-free, but that's not the case.

First, we have to be able to just "disable" Local Contacts altogether: my contacts come from my sync'd source, which syncs with my desktop PC and my various other devices... BB10 is just one more of the devices that can download and give me access to those local contacts, it isn't my 'master copy'.

Alternatively, BlackBerry should offer a super "contacts cloud" service (at no extra charge to BB10 device owners, natch) that is a superset of all the Hub-enabled contacts lists with proper field name and datatype translations (with warnings when you are trying to store data of a type that won't be compatible with one of those sources) so when I make changes they are synced to all the various contacts lists sourced from other services.

In short, go all in (Local contacts) or butte out (edits sync to a specific single online contacts and there are no "local contacts"). The way it works now is a constant source of frustration for me.
    04-08-15 01:08 PM
    Yeah, I find the contacts app pretty frustrating as well.

The best way I have found to deal with it is, when creating a new contact on my BB, I have to make sure I uncheck "Save to: Local Contacts" in order to only save to my synced contacts. For some reason it always wants to create it in both when I'm adding a contact. And if I forget, it for some reason will link that new contact to an existing, random other contact and screw everything up.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    04-08-15 01:25 PM
    It can be a mess if you have all this merging and BBM, SIM, facebook etc. enabled. I don't use any of those other than BBM. Even though I use BBM I don't need those people in my contacts unless I want them there and in that case I will add them. I only use outlook.com to sync with but before I did that I setup my contacts on the web in outlook.com. I've had no issues since. Only use one source. I'm not sure what local contacts are as I see nothing that says local in contacts.

I understand some may want all of those places merging and listed and not sure how to fix that mess.

Edit: The only time I see local contacts anywhere is when adding a new contact.
    04-08-15 01:30 PM
    Totally agree! The contacts app sucks from the day zero!

Posted via CB10
    04-08-15 02:57 PM
    and yet, there is no way to easily view ONLY "local contacts" (it is a negative option "turn off all your other contact sources and what remains is "local contacts)
    Turn off all synced accounts. See what happens.

I'll give you a hint: ONLY LOCAL CONTACTS!!!

Not very intuitive, but sure there is a way.

First, we have to be able to just "disable" Local Contacts altogether: my contacts come from my sync'd source, which syncs with my desktop PC and my various other devices... BB10 is just one more of the devices that can download and give me access to those local contacts, it isn't my 'master copy'.
    While I like the idea at first... Any change that's made to a contact that can't be synced is saved to a local version, removing local contacts would break a great many deal of things withing the Contacts app.

I do remember though, that we could pick where the contact should by default save contacts. That means we have the option not to use local contacts.

EDIT: Maybe I am remembering wrong?... Cant find that... What I am sure of though, when you add a contact, you have a drop down menu where you can un-check local.

Alternatively, BlackBerry should offer a super "contacts cloud" service.
    Now this I truly like.
    04-08-15 05:09 PM
    I'm sooo confused by the contacts app. When I'm in bbm and want to add someone for some weird reason not all of my contacts show up. I can't figure it out!!! Why. Please help

Posted via CB10
    04-08-15 05:23 PM
    I'm sooo confused by the contacts app. When I'm in bbm and want to add someone for some weird reason not all of my contacts show up. I can't figure it out!!! Why. Please help
    Obviously you should have noticed not all your contacts show. Those are suggestions, not your entire contact list.
    04-08-15 07:53 PM
    This is why the contacts app sucks!-img_20150409_010724.png

You much for the "mo easy to see local contacts lol.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-15 11:08 PM
    The contacts app is terrible and hasn't worked right since day one in OS10. I always set my device up from scratch and make sure the only contacts I sync are my gmail ones.

In the contacts settings menu, I turn all of the Facebook, Twitter and local contacts sync off. I will still get duplicates when I first set up my device and it's strange, but after a day or so, they straighten themselves out.

Bottom line is this is suppose to be their bread and butter for the enterprise sector and this would be the last thing I would want my business customers to be complaining about. Fix it once and for all please.
    RyanGermann likes this.
    04-09-15 04:25 AM
    The contacts app is terrible and hasn't worked right since day one in OS10. I always set my device up from scratch and make sure the only contacts I sync are my gmail ones.

In the contacts settings menu, I turn all of the Facebook, Twitter and local contacts sync off. I will still get duplicates when I first set up my device and it's strange, but after a day or so, they straighten themselves out.

Bottom line is this is suppose to be their bread and butter for the enterprise sector and this would be the last thing I would want my business customers to be complaining about. Fix it once and for all please.
    Well said! The two main things about BB10 that make me yearn for my old os7 Bold are the contact and calander apps. Both of these apps on my old BlackBerry phones were great but when BB10 was released I had to say "did someone who never used a BlackBerry design this OS?". That aside I won't put down my BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    04-09-15 07:51 AM
    Am I the only one that can actually get the contacts app to behave? Or is there some user error going? GRANTED, it has a lot of improvement potential, but at least 60% of the issues I see here have either been solved or are not really the app's fault...
    kbz1960 and LuvULongTime like this.
    04-09-15 08:25 AM
    Lol I sync all my contacts from Outlook.
    Do not get any of my 1000+friends because wtf why...?
    Twitter well I have synced a couple.
    No LinkedIn nah I don't need them right there...
    Kept my sim clean.
    Never had an issue on 10.3.1.

Supporting the people's struggle worldwide via my STA 100-5, Z30.
    04-09-15 01:53 PM
    Try adding a new contact on your BB....that's when it gets messy! If you mistakenly forget to uncheck "Save to: Local Contacts" it creates a whole lotta havoc. Try it, then try searching for the contact you just added - it will have somehow merged the new contact with a random other contact.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-15 02:05 PM
    Try adding a new contact on your BB....that's when it gets messy! If you mistakenly forget to uncheck "Save to: Local Contacts" it creates a whole lotta havoc. Try it, then try searching for the contact you just added - it will have somehow merged the new contact with a random other contact.

Posted via CB10
    I have save to local and outlook checked by default. Didn't even realize it and have had no issues. Maybe because I have merge turned off and always have?
    04-09-15 02:22 PM
    I have save to local and outlook checked by default. Didn't even realize it and have had no issues. Maybe because I have merge turned off and always have?
    That is the reason! Just tried it with merge turned off. Phew. Now I don't have any issue with the app.
    It would be nice however if there was an option to only save to your synced contact list, and never to local contacts.

Posted via CB10
    Soapm likes this.
    04-09-15 04:56 PM

Posted via CB10
    I constantly forget to, that's my point.

No issues on my side...
    04-09-15 05:33 PM
    I have tweeted threads like this to Michael Clewely. But I think if more people did that, they might focus more on fixing (or maybe re-making from scratch) the contacts app!

Lots of BlackBerry created apps need improvement (eg: maps need public transit directions) but CONTACTS app in particular needs most love! It is just too raw right now. It doesn't look like it was developed by a large engineering company that is focused on enterprise clients!

Posted via CB10
    04-09-15 07:43 PM
    Hmm, I actually love BlackBerry contact app. I do find it more efficient then Android. Aesthetically it could use a better looking GUI though.

The real problem here and I find it to be the same with Android and iOS too is that us users are connected to too many social websites and apps that is data mining our private info. You may not even be aware that you're giving consent for these website to store your contact in their cloud servers but it's there. In other words, you will have copies of a single contact backed up on multiple accounts. Then when you log into all the apps like FaceBook, LinkIn and emails these contact shows up repeatedly in your contact app. It gets really confusing and you don't even know which account is your primary account when you store your contacts. Then us users will easily blame the App because some contacts didn't show up or is missing and or is showing up multiple occurrences.

People are building large lists of contacts that are like 15 years old numbers that may not even be in use anymore. It's time to tidy up the contacts and removed them all from different accounts that you don't want them on and centralize one cloud service to store them.

For me, I wiped out all my contacts list from my gmail, outlook, FaceBook, LinkIn and twitter accounts. Keeping my only contact backed up in Yahoo mail cloud service. It is my only place I store and retrieve my contacts from now on. Keep it simple and you will enjoy the contact apps just like me.

If you think going back to Android or iOS will solve your problem then things just got more real for you. Good lucky fixing your contact syncing.
    Soapm and Vorkosigan like this.
    04-09-15 09:09 PM
    Totally agree! The contacts app sucks from the day zero!

Posted via CB10
    Yeah. Unfortunately, I find "contacts" suck on everything I have ... iPhone, iPad, Mac, Google Contacts.

I'm convinced that they all have crazy bugs on their own, and when you connect them to one source, even worse things happen as contacts pass through each app.

Then throw in all of them deal with social networks a bit differently and it gets worse.

With the CARDDAV standard would be updated. And then everyone would fix their own contacts apps.
    04-09-15 09:13 PM
    Thymaster hit a good point, like calendars, everyone creates their contact book like it's the primary which creates a mess for those of us who sync them. I also noticed ever calendar wants to add US Holidays by default, then you have 10 Easter's in your calendar until you can get all but one turned off.

Developers need to know most of our address books are now virtual and they can slave to it but don't try to be the main squeeze...

BB needs an option to forget local, and just tap into your virtual circle of stored contacts...
    04-09-15 10:20 PM
49 12