Ok, so there is probably a reason, but why can's a third party developer make a browser that renders well and has pinch to zoom? I have used Opera which isn't too bad... but why were they unable to incorporate pinch to zoom? Is there some sort of a patent on the technology?
    07-15-10 10:13 AM
    We will have to see what 6.0 and the webkit browser brings, perhaps it WILL have these features.
    07-15-10 10:15 AM
    Yes yes! I know that. I am just curious as to why nobody has ever developed it before now... given that many people have wanted that I just thought it strange that there was never one developed for the storm or storm 2.
    07-15-10 10:20 AM
    I think it comes down to cost of development. It wouldn't make economic sense to develop pinch zoom on such a limited line of devices. (Only. two so far) There probably aren't any related API's either.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-10 10:54 AM
    PIN zooming is alot faster and easier to use than pinch zooming......

basically you double tap the screen and then slide you finger left and right to zoom in and out...

make things alot easier you can hold the phone and zoom with one hand.

07-15-10 11:10 AM
    It's hardware related and how the screen works physically.

I don't know how the Storm 2 works (don't have one), but to do pinch-to-zoom, it has to know that it's being touched at two points and how those points move in relation to each other. The hardware has to know how to do that to pass it on to any software. If it's not built into the hardware, then there is nothing that any software (like a browser) can do about it.

And, there is a patent on the technology. Apple claims to have one (for their iPhone), but they certainly aren't the first. Microsoft has used the technology for years in their big touch screen monitors (you see one used on CNN all the time) and that concept table computer thing they pushed about 5 or 6 years ago.
    07-15-10 02:04 PM
    We will have to see what 6.0 and the webkit browser brings, perhaps it WILL have these features.
    I thought the new webkit browser did have pinch to zoom capabilities? Didn't the most current video show pinch to zoom in use?
    07-15-10 02:14 PM
    Well I know when selecting text, the Storm 2 is able to move 2 different end points at the same time, so I would imagine it CAN handle the mechanics of doing pinch zooming. I have never heard of the pin zooming you are talking about... but that would be nice to have as well.

The webkit browser is going to have pinch to zoom. My post is mostly related to wanting to be able to get that technology on my storm 2 in case the webkit browser/OS 6 is not made available for it.
    07-15-10 02:22 PM
    Well I know when selecting text, the Storm 2 is able to move 2 different end points at the same time, so I would imagine it CAN handle the mechanics of doing pinch zooming. I have never heard of the pin zooming you are talking about... but that would be nice to have as well.

The webkit browser is going to have pinch to zoom. My post is mostly related to wanting to be able to get that technology on my storm 2 in case the webkit browser/OS 6 is not made available for it.
    PIN zooming is on a limited base i guess. i'll shoot a amateur video of it and post it to you tube and show you.

07-15-10 02:28 PM
    It may also be an API that is available in BB6 and not something easily accessible in OS 5.
    07-15-10 03:33 PM
    The API supports multiple touches in OS 4.7 and 5.0. It would be up to the developer to write all the supporting to code though.
    07-15-10 03:39 PM
    Not trying to troll here but I'd really like some input on this.

What's the big deal with pinch to zoom?

It's so awkward to use being it requires you to remove your hand from the phone and do it. I mostly use my Storm in landscape mode, and to hold the phone with one hand and pinch and zoom with the other is difficult. I do sometimes use portrait mode, but the only time I use that mode is when I'm using the phone with one hand, which makes pinch to zoom really awkward.

I've tried it with the iPhone many times and I absolutely hate it.

I just find it really easy to zoom on my Storm. Double tap where you want it to zoom and it zooms in on that spot. Then press the "back" button to zoom back out. All that only requires one hand to use, well one finger...

If I'm missing something here let me know because this is a feature of OS 6 that I have no want or need for.
    07-15-10 04:23 PM
    It must be a preference thing... I, for one, think the only thing that makes the iphone/android experience better than the storm 2 is this feature. I just have a hard time understanding how it could be that hard to code... given the fact that we already have many devices that do it. Maybe I am just in the minority here.
    07-16-10 06:41 PM
    If we get pinch and zoom then they will have to change how copy and paste works because right now if you put two fingers down at the same time it activates copy/paste.

And I don't think pinch zoom is that big of a deal either. Double tapping is quicker, easier, and can be done with one hand. Honestly, I think people just think it looks neato or something. I'm all for having options though..

07-16-10 08:54 PM
    It must be a preference thing... I, for one, think the only thing that makes the iphone/android experience better than the storm 2 is this feature. I just have a hard time understanding how it could be that hard to code... given the fact that we already have many devices that do it. Maybe I am just in the minority here.
    Would you mind explaining why? Is it just easier for you? Maybe you like how you can zoom in really far with ease? (this would be nice when viewing maps) or is it just fun to use?

I'm just wondering what people like about it. Because for the life of me I can't think of one I instance where I would use pinch to zoom over the way the Storm zooms now.

Like I said above, I'm not trying to troll here, I would just really like to know what people like about pinch to zoom other than; it's cool, or the (insert phone here) has it.

07-18-10 10:55 AM
    PIN zooming is alot faster and easier to use than pinch zooming......

basically you double tap the screen and then slide you finger left and right to zoom in and out...

make things alot easier you can hold the phone and zoom with one hand.

Meh, I find pinch zooming much faster. By the time you double tap and slide left/right, I can pinch with one flick and have the screen to the size I want or bigger.

Also, pinch to zoom can be done one handed. Every touchscreen I have had I have never had problems doing it.
    07-18-10 11:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD