Hi all,

Both the Blackberry Torch 9800 and the Bold 9780 have 5 megapixel cameras... however, they only have the ability to record in 480P.

On the other hand the iPhone 4 also has a 5 megapixel camera but it can record in full HD.

Now my question is why can't our devices also record with such a high quality. I would guess it's probably a software limitation but is it also a hardware limitation that I don't know about?

*Something to consider is that HD videos require a lot of room so a class 2 memory card which many Blackberry users own may not suffice. However, there are higher classes such as class ten available in the market.. So its probably not a memory card limitation.

Thoughts & responses are appreciated!
    02-25-11 05:02 PM
    because its one of many things BB are behind in. The next round of devices should be able to record in HD, but you still wont be able to mail the video anyway.
    02-25-11 05:06 PM
    because its one of many things BB are behind in. The next round of devices should be able to record in HD, but you still wont be able to mail the video anyway.
    Right. And I did not see any HDMI out in any of the leaked photos. Bummer. That was one of the cool things about my old DX - just hook it up to the TV and show the videos.
    02-25-11 05:11 PM
    You maybe right about the microSD card. The specs of these cards seems to require at least a Class 4 card for HD recording.

Class 2 : >=2MB/s TV recording / DVD/ standard DC
    Class 4 : >=4MB/s Mpeg2 (HDTV)/ DC with continuous shooting option
    Class 6 : >=6MB/s Reflex DC and professional DC - on continuous shooting

The iPhone, of course, does not have a microSD card.
    02-25-11 05:13 PM
    Interesting Pete. I recently loaded a HD video onto my 16gb class 2 memory card and on playback, the video & audio is extremely choppy. Do you know if purchasing a higher class card will help with this issue? Or is it just that the Blackberry & its processor that can't handle it?
    02-25-11 07:18 PM
    So let me get this straight..the new phones coming out like the Bold Touch etc, will be able to record in HD but you WON'T be able to send it via email? Why not??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-11 09:42 PM
    because BIS limits the size of your emails to a ridiculous low 2.9 MBs. this is where the truncation comes into play and why the king of email really is lacking
    Rickroller likes this.
    02-25-11 09:49 PM
    why does anyone care about HD recording on a phone? I mean its a phone you hold in your hand, how good is the quality going to be? I love my gadgets & some of the new things they do but some things like record in HD are pointless
    02-25-11 10:00 PM
    No matter how good the quality is, without optical zoom it's almost useless.

02-26-11 01:30 AM
    Because it doesn't have HD cameras.

02-26-11 11:29 AM
    Interesting Pete. I recently loaded a HD video onto my 16gb class 2 memory card and on playback, the video & audio is extremely choppy. Do you know if purchasing a higher class card will help with this issue? Or is it just that the Blackberry & its processor that can't handle it?
    I have not actually tried this since I always convert my vids to 480 x 360 for size and lowering of CPU load.

This came up again today and the video questions are addressed here http://forums.crackberry.com/f219/ca...videos-589103/

As to the microSD card, I know that a Class 2 card will play back audio - duh, and "normal" video. A Class 4 card should be good for HD replay and Class 6 should work for HD recording. I wrote all this up about 15 months ago in this thread
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/micr...c-cards-46673/

Trying to playback a full1080 HD vid will surely give the phone's CPU a lot to do so between your Class 2 card and all the work that the CPU has to do to throw away all thoose extra pixels, it is maybe not so surprising that playback is choppy.

Asking a Class 2 card to stream full HD, AND having the CPU do all that work must surely have consequences.
    02-26-11 11:59 AM
    why does anyone care about HD recording on a phone? I mean its a phone you hold in your hand, how good is the quality going to be? I love my gadgets & some of the new things they do but some things like record in HD are pointless
    It comes in pretty handy for filming North African social unrest. The TV companies much prefer HD content .
    02-26-11 12:00 PM
    I have to agree. I have absolutely no need for HD recording. Just like truncated emails, I almost always have my laptop by my side while I have my phone by my side, so it's just not an issue. I don't need my phone to function as a swiss army knife sort of product.
    02-26-11 12:08 PM
    *Insert comment about cell phone cameras not being professional quality cameras here.*
    02-26-11 01:23 PM
    i agree that they are not professional cameras but my Inc recording in HD looks tons better than my storms at 480
    02-26-11 01:37 PM
    I wish my Torch had HD recording, would be a nice feature but yeah, like others mentioned I bought the phone more for other reasons than the camera...the camera/video recording is just a "plus" for me.
    02-28-11 05:39 AM
    Regardless of all the techichncal reason I've laid out in previous posts, HD recording and playback surely has to come to BlackBerrys soon(-ish??).

Whilst the current RIM management/marketing may not see the neccessity of providing this function, I am pretty sure that the loonies at The Astonishing Tribe (TAT) will be pushing hard for this.

What would be really nice would be to have a video out socket that would allow up to 1080p to be played back via a larger monitor. Am I just dreaming here?
    02-28-11 06:11 AM
    For what we pay for these phones, THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO RECORD IN HD! PERIOD!

02-28-11 08:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD