"- RIM�s 2-for-1 BES 10 plans gets detailed in company blog post, confirms BGR report
    By: Brad Reed | Aug 31st, 2012 at 11:59AM Comments Filed Under: Mobile

As BGR exclusively reported last week, companies will need to run two BlackBerry Enterprise Servers simultaneously if they want to support both BlackBerry 10 devices and older devices that run on BlackBerry 7 and earlier.Jeff Holleran, RIM�s senior director for enterprise product management, provided some key details about the upcoming BES 10 on a company blog post Friday and admitted that companies will need to run both BES 5 and BES 10 to support both old and new devices.

�With the initial launch of BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10, BES 5+ will require its own server, while BlackBerry Device Service and Universal Device Service can reside on separate servers orbe combined on the same physical or virtual server,� he wrote. �Should you opt to work with virtual servers, we fully support this type of deployment. Today, BlackBerry Mobile Fusion operates in a similar fashion, with BES 5+ requiring one server, and both BDS and UDS able to be deployed on a single server or on separate servers.�

As BGR noted last week, the requirement to run two servers simultaneously could impose some significant cost requirements on businesses with hundreds or thousands of BlackBerry users, in addition to complications from a deployment and management perspective -"

RIM's BES 10 plans gets detailed in company blog post

They link the blog post that *clearly* states BES10 will support prior devices, then say that BES5 will be needed as well as BES10 to support all blackberry devices. REALLY?!

Ashamed to say I read their stuff, but I will say it's solely for comedic purposes. Considering that Geller went on an apple love-fest the other day, I think they're trying to muscle in on The Onion's territory now.
    08-31-12 12:33 PM
    They are accurate. The initial rollout of BES10 will be just like Mobile Fusion.
    08-31-12 12:33 PM
    ah, my bad! I was sure I understood it this time around, but apparently not. So would RIM likely be charging for both services in parallel?
    08-31-12 12:58 PM
    BGR is accurate in saying that you will need to have a BES 10 server as well as a BES 5 server running to run both legacy and BB10 devices. However, they are wrong about the added complexity as BES 10 will manage the legacy devices through the BES 5. They are trying to make it sound like you will have different policies on each server when in fact you will only need the policy from the BES 10.
    08-31-12 01:29 PM
    It was clarified that not only will BDS/UDS be merged, everything can be installed on ONE server (BES 10 and BES 5 co-existing). Most companies will probably choose to create a new server for BES 10 to run alongside the old BES though, simply to then be able to easily remove the older BES once it isn't needed. With most companies using virtual machines, there's no added hardware cost either.
    08-31-12 01:37 PM
    It was clarified that not only will BDS/UDS be merged, everything can be installed on ONE server (BES 10 and BES 5 co-existing). Most companies will probably choose to create a new server for BES 10 to run alongside the old BES though, simply to then be able to easily remove the older BES once it isn't needed. With most companies using virtual machines, there's no added hardware cost either.
    I am curious if you will run into port conflicts running BDS/BES on the same server. They are using the same ports for just about everything. UDS and BDS can easily be installed on the same server, and with MF on top of that.

Going forward they will all be one server, initially BES 5.0.3+ will be required to be installed along with BES 10.

Edit: BDS cannot be installed on the same server as BES per RIM documentation. It can be installed on the same server as Mobile Fusion.
    Last edited by Sith_Apprentice; 08-31-12 at 01:47 PM.
    08-31-12 01:40 PM
    BGR wasn't wrong. You'll still need a separate server for BES 5, but all the BES 10 stuff can be on the same machine. DaedalusIcarusHelios is right that most companies will use virtual machines so this shouldn't add to additional hardware costs -- but of course it will depend on each setup.

The promise is that BES 10 will offer one management panel for all components -- which if they can pull off, will be good for IT departments still supporting legacy devices.
    08-31-12 04:36 PM
    LOL at this thread.
    08-31-12 05:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD