If BlackBerry are no longer supporting BlackBerry 10, how can I trust they won't just stop supporting the new Android line if I buy one.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-17 07:26 PM
    Can you really trust any Android OEM to not do that? lol. Even when they say they will, they often don't or make it a painful process with minimal support. You just have to use your judgment based on the info available to you and go from there.
    08-16-17 08:42 PM
    I gave up when they (BlackBerry) gave up.
    08-16-17 08:51 PM
    If BlackBerry are no longer supporting BlackBerry 10, how can I trust they won't just stop supporting the new Android line if I buy one.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry lost billions on BB10. Should they have hung in there for you and a handful of others?
    08-16-17 10:02 PM
    Your best bet for continued support is either an iPhone or a Pixel.
    nuff_said likes this.
    08-16-17 10:29 PM
    BlackBerry lost billions on BB10. Should they have hung in there for you and a handful of others?
    Do I care about it?Is that my problem?There were people payed to sail for that ship.we've lost money and trust invested in BB,do they care?

Via classic
    08-16-17 11:15 PM
    Do I care about it?Is that my problem?There were people payed to sail for that ship.we've lost money and trust invested in BB,do they care?

Via classic
    See post right above.

BlackBerry has nothing to do with the current licencees apart from supplying software updates under contract.

BTW, what does your two year old BlackBerry Classic still owe you? Have you not got your money's worth from a nice device? Did it not perform exactly as advertised when you bought it?
    08-16-17 11:19 PM
    Current BlackBerry devices are manufactured under license by others with the Android OS having BlackBerry software applications as add on features. Simple as that. While I believe the BlackBerry 10 OS is superior to Android or IOS, it's a moot point. Time to move on...

Posted via BlackBerry® Classic SQC-100-3 / 10.3.3.1463
    08-16-17 11:47 PM
    because you read betwwen the lines and that makes you subjective

Via classic
    08-16-17 11:47 PM
    because you read betwwen the lines and that makes you subjective

Via classic
    Read between what lines?
    08-16-17 11:50 PM
    Ask DTEK60 or Priv users how the support is!
    And when they expect Android 7 to come! LOL!

I mean those were advertised as +600$ high-end class devices not that long ago!

Posted via CB10
    08-17-17 01:31 AM

Posted via CB10
    They already did. So if you don't save secret files that need military grade security in your phone, you already knew where the door is.
    08-17-17 04:31 AM
    Your best bet for continued support is either an iPhone or a Pixel.
    This is why apple and google are so successful. They also hold values much longer.
    08-17-17 06:40 AM

Posted via CB10
    Aren't these devices still getting security updates? It seems like some carriers are slow to push the updates out OTA but BlackBerry is still making them thus far.

In addition, all of these devices are on Android. Most app developers are still releasing versions of their app that support back to Android 4. You aren't going to have a defunct device that's running Android M for several years. Most average consumers don't even care about the security updates so, for them, even if BlackBerry disappeared, the Priv and DTEK devices would still keep working and getting 'support' for years to come.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-17 06:55 AM

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry no longer makes devices.

If you insist on applying your baggage to TCL, PT BB Merah Putih, and Optiemus Infracom, then so be it. It just doesn't make much sense.
    08-17-17 07:11 AM
    Apple has the best support, bar none. If that is what truly concerns you, get an iPhone. It's a no brainer.
    08-17-17 07:15 AM

If you insist on applying your baggage to TCL, PT BB Merah Putih, and Optiemus Infracom, then so be it. It just doesn't make much sense.
    So there you have it...BlackBerry is responsible for nothing when it comes to devices, and accountable to no one. Nothing sells like honesty. Lol.
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    08-17-17 07:28 AM
    So there you have it...BlackBerry is responsible for nothing when it comes to devices, and accountable to no one. Nothing sells like honesty. Lol.
    They are very much responsible for the devices they have sold - just not for the KEYᵒⁿᵉ, Aurora, or any future devices.
    08-17-17 07:40 AM
    They are very much responsible for the devices they have sold - just not for the KEYᵒⁿᵉ, Aurora, or any future devices.
    Irrelevant to this thread. OP was asking about buying a BlackBerry today, not two or three years ago. And support for BlackBerry legacy devices is all over the map. You know this better than anyone.
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    08-17-17 07:55 AM
    Irrelevant to this thread. OP was asking about buying a BlackBerry today, not two or three years ago. And support for BlackBerry legacy devices is all over the map. You know this better than anyone.
    It's actually the point of this thread. The OP is equating what BlackBerry chose to do with its own devices, and what the three licencees will choose to do with their devices.
    08-17-17 07:57 AM

There is still a BlackBerry logo on it.
    They can't say: "We don't have anything to do with it!"
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    08-17-17 08:01 AM
    There is still a BlackBerry logo on it.
    They can't say: "We don't have anything to do with it!"
    But you and I can see through that because we both know they don't. I can see how the uninformed could be confused though.
    08-17-17 08:03 AM

How much sense does it make to just give these companies the benefit of the doubt?

Merah Putih and Optiemus are simply distributors and it's already clear how little Merah Putih will be "updating" their phone - or Nubia the manufacture of the phone (not sure if they will be a 2nd phone for them).

Optiemus has yet to announce their "own" device (was some talk a few months ago.. has died down), other than saying at some point they'll manufacture the KEYone themselves (or have someone local make them). For now they'll distribute TCL's KEYone in a limited edition version... I expect that distribution includes TCL taking care of the updates too - we will soon see.

TCL... they do have a very clear "history" for updates under the TCL and Alcatel brands..... Will that change for the BlackBerry division... Maybe or maybe not.

In the end TCL choose to use the Brand, they had to know it came with a lot of "baggage", what have they done in eight month but make it worse?
    08-17-17 08:51 AM
    How much sense does it make to just give these companies the benefit of the doubt?

Merah Putih and Optiemus are simply distributors and it's already clear how little Merah Putih will be "updating" their phone - or Nubia the manufacture of the phone (not sure if they will be a 2nd phone for them).

Optiemus has yet to announce their "own" device (was some talk a few months ago.. has died down), other than saying at some point they'll manufacture the KEYone themselves (or have someone local make them). For now they'll distribute TCL's KEYone in a limited edition version... I expect that distribution includes TCL taking care of the updates too - we will soon see.

TCL... they do have a very clear "history" for updates under the TCL and Alcatel brands..... Will that change for the BlackBerry division... Maybe or maybe not.

In the end TCL choose to use the Brand, they had to know it came with a lot of "baggage", what have they done in eight month but make it worse?
    Optiemus has announced the KEYᵒⁿᵉ and will be building it themselves.

All three licenses will decide if and when and for how long they will choose to update their devices.
    08-17-17 09:34 AM

Posted via CB10
    No certainties in life. Like Samsung building exploding / melting phones.

My Dad once bought a GM truck that lunched the entire rear differential with about 10 000 km on it.

No guarantees on anything.
    08-17-17 09:58 AM
171 123 ...