I am in no way against Blackberry. I love Blackberry. I am buying a new phone but I just do not see the advantage of buying a Blackberry now. None of the phones seem to stack up against other high end phones. I like Blackberry a lot and am looking to get the Torch. I just do not see a reason to buy it over the Samsung Captivate or Focus. I know this is a BBerry forum so I am wondering why you guys chose a BBerry over the other phones.
    12-17-10 03:49 AM
    I am in no way against Blackberry. I love Blackberry. I am buying a new phone but I just do not see the advantage of buying a Blackberry now. None of the phones seem to stack up against other high end phones. I like Blackberry a lot and am looking to get the Torch. I just do not see a reason to buy it over the Samsung Captivate or Focus. I know this is a BBerry forum so I am wondering why you guys chose a BBerry over the other phones.
    Well, BB's do have a slight edge in security.

Also, if you need push email from providers other than gmail, hotmail, and yahoo, they're the only ones to offer it (other platforms can pull from the other addresses but isn't necessarily as instantaneous).

It really comes down to your priorities, and what features/capabilities you want/need vs tradeoffs you're willing to make. Every device is a compromise regardless who made it. The trick is finding the one that's the best compromise for your particular priorities.
    romanista and reverepats like this.
    12-17-10 03:54 AM
    Its hip and not evrybody has (like a iPhone)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-10 05:20 AM
    Its hip and not evrybody has (like a iPhone)

this is a bad joke right?
    12-17-10 05:32 AM
    There are many reasons:

1) You prefer not having the latest technology
    2) You only want the bare minimum that meets your needs and you despise having a device that exceeds your expectations
    3) Browsing the web on a mobile device angers you because that should only be done from a desktop computer and/or laptop
    4) You must have a battery that lasts four days even though you charge your phone every night.
    5) You feel that applications are the devils work and are leading society down a path that no one in thier right mind should follow
    6) Higher resolution screens cause your eyes to hurt

I could go on and on..............
    Last edited by garment69; 12-17-10 at 07:39 AM.
    12-17-10 07:28 AM
    The spec sheet never tells the whole story. My personal reasons for staying with Blackberry:
    1 - The platform is solid and well-integrated. The OS may be getting long in the tooth, but unlike Android, it's extremely stable.
    2 - The UI, while maybe not the latest and slickest, is proven and efficient.
    3 - The hardware is not the fastest, but nor is it old. The CPU in the Torch is 'only' 624 mhz, but the chip itself is a new architecture that's faster and more efficient than the one it replaces, and it works. I don't want to hear that you HAVE to have a 1-ghz processor to stay in the game, because I've heard complaints of those high-end Androids having lag issues, too.
    4 - I do understand the desire by some users for a huge selection of apps. I don't happen to share that desire.
    5 - I've witnessed first-hand bad experiences with iPhone software upgrades. Never had such a problem with BB.
    6 - If you think OS versioning and maintenance is inconsistent among BB carriers, it's far worse with Android devices.

Overall my BB just does the stuff I need it to do, and it does it very well right out of the box with a minimum of fussing. Not always the case with Android and iPhones. I researched both and messed with both before upgrading. For form-factor, reliability, durability, and overall usability, I stayed with BB.

These are MY opinions. Of course yours may vary. I don't care, that does not change mine.
    12-17-10 08:00 AM
    Because they still make the best qwerty smart phone, and don't even bother mentioning the droid pro.
    The choice will always be qwerty vs touch when you're debating blackberry vs android.

12-17-10 08:13 AM
    Because they still make the best qwerty smart phone, and don't even bother mentioning the droid pro.
    The choice will always be qwerty vs touch when you're debating blackberry vs android.

Not necessarily. The keyboard on my Droid 2 is not bad.

I would be interested in seeing a BB with this form factor (touch screen with horizontal slide-out keyboard) if they got the hardware up to par with other devices.
    12-17-10 08:17 AM
    Not necessarily. The keyboard on my Droid 2 is not bad.

I would be interested in seeing a BB with this form factor (touch screen with horizontal slide-out keyboard) if they got the hardware up to par with other devices.
    Ah, but for the die hard blackberry user sliding the keyboard open then shut is a second lost every time you need to use your phone. That would mean a few minutes a day for me lol.

Android should do what they do best, big touch screen smartphones.

12-17-10 08:43 AM
    If you. Have big fingers like I do,virtual keyboard is a no-go for me.and it makes me feel like a businessman lol.

12-17-10 09:17 AM
    I choose BB over the wp7 and androids because I have no interest in those devices. Why would I buy one of those if I don't like the OS they run? I like the BB OS. Why would I use android/wp7 if they don't have as good of a keyboard as BBs? Most are touchscreen and I refuse to not have a keyboard. Why would I buy android/wp7 when they aren't as good of communication devices as a BlackBerry?...I could go on and on with this. Basically the android/wp7(even iphone) devices are not what I want or need and that is why I would choose a BlackBerry over them ANY day.
    12-17-10 09:44 AM
    if you want to experience that very special feeling of buyer's remorse that you can only get when you can't resist and buy something that you know isn't "quite right"...then by the BB....you will succeed.
    12-17-10 09:47 AM
    The BB vs. Android vs. iPhone vs. WP7 debate will never end. This type of post pops up at least once a week. They really are starting to get old.
    12-17-10 11:00 AM
    I'll stay with bb for my grandfathered data plan. If I need to surf etc. I'll just tether to my laptop.
    12-17-10 11:11 AM
    The spec sheet never tells the whole story. My personal reasons for staying with Blackberry:
    1 - The platform is solid and well-integrated. The OS may be getting long in the tooth, but unlike Android, it's extremely stable.
    You're joking right? How many times has one had to battery pull, or been stuck on the clock of death? Why is one app everyone says is a must have quick pull? What about memory leaks?

3 - The hardware is not the fastest, but nor is it old. The CPU in the Torch is 'only' 624 mhz, but the chip itself is a new architecture that's faster and more efficient than the one it replaces, and it works. I don't want to hear that you HAVE to have a 1-ghz processor to stay in the game, because I've heard complaints of those high-end Androids having lag issues, too.
    All computing devices can lag when taxed. I will say 1ghz proc will be less noticeable than 624mhz and even still a quick boot of an Android phone (30 secs or less vs 3-5 minutes on a BB) and your back up and running again.

6 - If you think OS versioning and maintenance is inconsistent among BB carriers, it's far worse with Android devices.
    Not even close, I've had a BB brick from an update, I've also seen more problems then fixes come about from updates pushed from RIM. Not that any upgrade can't brick a phone. Also if OS updates were more consistent, leaks wouldn't be so prevalent and desired by users. The only problem with Android updates are you have to rely on the handset manufacture to actually support it (some do so better than others), and due to the open source nature of it, usually older phones can get pieces of a feature update (such as tethering) leaked to their phone if it wasn't supported.
    Cleveland likes this.
    12-17-10 11:40 AM
    I'm so sick of these debates. I bought the BB because I like BB. Hated my iPhone, upgraded to the 9800. Really love having the big screen plus the full physical keyboard. I hate touch screens and the 9800 is the best of both worlds. I have NO lag or problems with my BB, the browser is very fast, even on 2G. I just love it.

Besides, BB's look sexy. I find the Android's and HTC's to look very cheap, IMO.
    Last edited by hmutt; 12-17-10 at 01:23 PM.
    12-17-10 12:53 PM
    Blackberries just allow me to do what I need to. Push email, decent browsing capabilities, superb texting cappabilities due to its amazing keyboards (I personally don't like touch screen keyboards). And on top of all these things, I also don't find much use with all the apps that installable on the ios and android devices, I have a feeling that sooner or later, those apps will become obsolete to me. Blackberry just has all the things I actually use rather than a lot of stuff that ill probably use on occasion.

12-17-10 01:20 PM
    There are many reasons:

1) You prefer not having the latest technology
    2) You only want the bare minimum that meets your needs and you despise having a device that exceeds your expectations
    3) Browsing the web on a mobile device angers you because that should only be done from a desktop computer and/or laptop
    4) You must have a battery that lasts four days even though you charge your phone every night.
    5) You feel that applications are the devils work and are leading society down a path that no one in thier right mind should follow
    6) Higher resolution screens cause your eyes to hurt

I could go on and on..............
    This had me laughing! Well done.
    12-17-10 04:42 PM
    Hated my iPhone, upgraded to the 9800. Really love having the big screen plus the full physical keyboard. I hate touch screens and the 9800 is the best of both worlds. IMO.
    So..you upgraded to the 9800 from the iphone because of the bigger screen the Torch has, and because you hate touch screen, although Torch is also offers the touchscreen beside the physical keyboard?
    12-17-10 05:57 PM
    I love blackberry. The messaging features are great, as is the security but with phones like the Droid Pro coming out. I am just weary of buying a blackberry that I have to have for 2 years that is already behind the times in technology. If I bought a bberry it would be the torch. Does anyone have any idea when one of the QNX phones is coming?
    12-17-10 06:30 PM
    And when the droid pro comes out.it will be obsolete out of the box,so what is your whining about?lg is bringing a dual core phone to the table,if the pro is a single core it will be behind lg right?be content with what you have.This keepin up with mr and mrs.jones is what got our us economy in the gutter in the first place.

12-17-10 07:06 PM
    And when the droid pro comes out.it will be obsolete out of the box,so what is your whining about?lg is bringing a dual core phone to the table,if the pro is a single core it will be behind lg right?be content with what you have.This keepin up with mr and mrs.jones is what got our us economy in the gutter in the first place.

Except the Droid Pro is still this year's technology. 9650 Bold is the same hardware (minor updates like a bit of memory) as the Tour is which came out in what, June 09, and was already a year behind when it came out. So you can pay for at least 2 year old technology, or you can pay that for technology that at least came out this year.

Devices even 1 generation old from RIM won't be getting OS6. In fact, a current device, Storm 2 will not be getting it. The original Droid which is now a generation old has been upgraded to the current Android OS and may some day even get the new Android OS.

That's one potential reason to go with other devices, simply because they've got sufficient hardware to keep up with future improvements.
    12-17-10 07:15 PM
    I bet the old droid won't be getting the gingerbread man os.

12-17-10 07:19 PM
    I bet the old droid won't be getting the gingerbread man os.

We'll have to wait and see I guess. Chances are even if they don't make it official, someone will come up with a hacked ROM that will work... That having been said, even if it doesn't get Gingerbread, Froyo keeps it relevant well into the future anyway, released around the time of the Tour and still going to be relevant after the Bold goes the way of the Do-Do is pretty impressive for a device these days...
    12-17-10 07:24 PM
    So..you upgraded to the 9800 from the iphone because of the bigger screen the Torch has, and because you hate touch screen, although Torch is also offers the touchscreen beside the physical keyboard?
    I don't use the touchsreen on the Torch, I exclusively use the physical keyboard and track pad, but I enjoy having the big screen on the Torch. Like I said, best of both worlds.

12-17-10 07:49 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD