BBM Music is yet another in a long list of examples of RIM failing to understand the market. I've never tried it, but most everyone I know who used/uses it says that it is way too complicated, extremely limited and not overly exciting. If BBM Music is an example of the quality of the features and functions that we can expect on BBX devices, then they're screwed.

I would half agree, when it first launched they were missing a lot of music, but it has gotten much better, AND it is a great ground work, and frame for what could be a great service.
    Once they get carrier billing sorted out, which I think they are on the way too seeing as AT&T offered a promotion with it, a music subscription service CAN be great.

I rarely want to pay to hear the song people are telling to to hear, BBMM allows me to hear other peoples music,
    12-14-11 02:44 PM
    RIM made the mistake of thinking Westerners wanted good solid reliable phones. What people want are 100,000 fart apps (most of which are redundant) they don't give a **** if their phone craps out, drops calls they want a big *** fancy touch screen.
    RIM made the mistake of not taking the competition seriously (some posters here have the same problem) until it was too late.
    12-14-11 02:46 PM
    I agree with most others have said. A few things from my own experiences are these.

I recently goy my wife a new HTC Radar 4G. I originally bought her 9810 to replace her old 9780, but the Torch 2 fails to impress her! Why...the touch screen touch functionality, feel and how it works are no where near iPhone and even HTC Radar 4G beats it. It isn't as fluid and is more prone to freeze than the other two mentioned phones.

My wife only needs on her smart phone are to stay in touch via txts and webmail, to make a call and to keep track of her important agenda with her calendar. Security is no biggy for her what so ever. I believe that these are the primary needs for most consumers as well. BB does these jobs, IMHO, very well, but it lacks of fun, edgy and cool factors said my wife!

My wife have been using BB since 8900 to 9700 and 9780, but now after about a month of use of WP7.5, she wants to switch completely. She said the only thing she will miss is BBM. But there are many other txt programs these days to do that job, not the same, but it fits her need. BB is somewhat aging and boring to keep her to continue to use it said my wife.

Well, for me, since I am only the source of incomes for my family so BB it is so long as RIM is still in business I would have gotten the new 9900, but I am glad to take 9810 off my wife hands to replace my old, trusting 9700. I am very anxious for RIM new BB10 flagship device toward 2012.
    12-14-11 04:34 PM
    I agree with most others have said. A few things from my own experiences are these.

I recently goy my wife a new HTC Radar 4G. I originally bought her 9810 to replace her old 9780, but the Torch 2 fails to impress her! Why...the touch screen touch functionality, feel and how it works are no where near iPhone and even HTC Radar 4G beats it. It isn't as fluid and is more prone to freeze than the other two mentioned phones.

My wife only needs on her smart phone are to stay in touch via txts and webmail, to make a call and to keep track of her important agenda with her calendar. Security is no biggy for her what so ever. I believe that these are the primary needs for most consumers as well. BB does these jobs, IMHO, very well, but it lacks of fun, edgy and cool factors said my wife!

My wife have been using BB since 8900 to 9700 and 9780, but now after about a month of use of WP7.5, she wants to switch completely. She said the only thing she will miss is BBM. But there are many other txt programs these days to do that job, not the same, but it fits her need. BB is somewhat aging and boring to keep her to continue to use it said my wife.

Well, for me, since I am only the source of incomes for my family so BB it is so long as RIM is still in business I would have gotten the new 9900, but I am glad to take 9810 off my wife hands to replace my old, trusting 9700. I am very anxious for RIM new BB10 flagship device toward 2012.
    And as awesome as BBM is, with the decline in users, it is becoming less relevant. When I got my 9650 about a year or so ago, I had approximately 25-30 BBM contacts. Today I'm down to 9 because many of friends/coworkers have switched to an iPhone or Android device.
    12-14-11 04:40 PM
    Probably because most NorAm users of BBM stick to English/US/UK users for contacts. If you wanted to expand your BBM list there are literally thousands of people who have posted their PINs in various BBM exchanges and PINbanks.

Sure a few of my contacts have gone iOS or Android, but for everyone I lose, I gain about ten from Europe/Africa/Asia/Russia and the Middle East.
    So while it may seem as though our BBM pool of prospective contacts has diminished, in reality it has not.
    12-14-11 04:52 PM
    Probably because most NorAm users of BBM stick to English/US/UK users for contacts. If you wanted to expand your BBM list there are literally thousands of people who have posted their PINs in various BBM exchanges and PINbanks.

Sure a few of my contacts have gone iOS or Android, but for everyone I lose, I gain about ten from Europe/Africa/Asia/Russia and the Middle East.
    So while it may seem as though our BBM pool of prospective contacts has diminished, in reality it has not.
    I'm not talking about people all over the world, though. I'm talking specifically about my friends/coworkers here in the US. BBM is still a great service, no doubt. But in North America, as less people use BB and more use iPhone and Android, it becomes less relevant. It's hard to use it as a selling point here because of RIMs declining market share.
    12-14-11 04:55 PM

yeah man this is so true, unless you're just not a social person and cant hold a conversation then adding people you don't know wont help.
    I will never leave BBM don't care how many of my friends leave. Through BBM I have met and scored so many times.
    Add new pins from the millions>talk>pics>if local>lets meet>score lol
    12-14-11 06:53 PM
    One key feature still missing from BB is front facing camera. I don't know why RIM is still catching up in camera department! I remember when my 8900 beats the very first iPhone photo quality. But that is a thing of the past now!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    ALToronto likes this.
    12-14-11 10:30 PM
    BBM is useless without people to BBM. Sorry, Facebook randoms are not friends. Apple had iMessage now, so RIM waited a bit too long to get it together there.

The reason why BB is going downhill here is cause people like multipurpose devices and being great at just business is a showstopper for them. They want to switch gears after work or at beak time and have fun. Other platforms are mor flexible with that than Blackberry.

They can care less about a physical keyboard or BBM. They want a larger screen with a good camera (with Auto Focus) productivity app games and better interoperability with other devices.

That means things like iTunes remote, Xbox companion, dlna/airplay, and services like Zune pass and google music are important to them.

RIM is exceedingly weak in those areas, and it hurts them here.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express
    12-15-11 12:56 AM
    RIM made the mistake of thinking Westerners wanted good solid reliable phones. What people want are 100,000 fart apps (most of which are redundant) they don't give a **** if their phone craps out, drops calls they want a big *** fancy touch screen.
    Agreed, but this is more specific towards the USA. In the rest of the world, even if iPhone is definitely popular, BlackBerry and other phones like Nokia still hold a good market. only in the USA its all about fart apps.
    12-15-11 01:08 AM
    My 2 cents

Blackberry has once dominated US market, now people wants to try new things - iphone and android. Wait till people get tired of iphone and android and perhaps windows mobile and blackberry or who know what will reemerge.

Blackberry fails to get media support. Look at tech reviews..how many are pro blackberry. A lot of people buy things based on Expert review

Lack of app is not the biggest issue..but lack of mega apps - skype..netflix...angry bird..get these in blackberry platform, the picture will change.

I always find rim makes good blackberry. They dont have the best specs but they are well design and extremely ergonomical.
    12-15-11 01:15 AM
    People in the US aren't so fickle. When your whole house is wired with Apple devices you are less likely to switch smartphone platforms. Same for Microsoft and the way they're tying the devices into their ecosystem. Even Google is trying the same thing with Google tv, chrome os, music etc. RIM simply doesn't have the device/services reach its competitors have. It's simply too easy to drop a blackberry, which is both good and bad.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
    12-15-11 01:48 AM
    BBM is useless without people to BBM. Sorry, Facebook randoms are not friends. Apple had iMessage now, so RIM waited a bit too long to get it together there.

The reason why BB is going downhill here is cause people like multipurpose devices and being great at just business is a showstopper for them. They want to switch gears after work or at beak time and have fun. Other platforms are mor flexible with that than Blackberry.

They can care less about a physical keyboard or BBM. They want a larger screen with a good camera (with Auto Focus) productivity app games and better interoperability with other devices.

That means things like iTunes remote, Xbox companion, dlna/airplay, and services like Zune pass and google music are important to them.

RIM is exceedingly weak in those areas, and it hurts them here.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express
    If all this was true WP7 would be flying off the shelves but they aren't, they don't even close to Rim's numbers.
    12-15-11 02:22 AM
    Agreed, but this is more specific towards the USA. In the rest of the world, even if iPhone is definitely popular, BlackBerry and other phones like Nokia still hold a good market. only in the USA its all about fart apps.
    Wow. You cleared up that mystery with this truthful and well thought out response. You got me! All 147 apps I've downloaded are fart apps! It's the first thing I looked for in android market and app store! Thanks for setting me straight!

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    12-15-11 06:13 AM
    Wow. You cleared up that mystery with this truthful and well thought out response. You got me! All 147 apps I've downloaded are fart apps! It's the first thing I looked for in android market and app store! Thanks for setting me straight!

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    We already knew that about you

Fart apps, fart apps, fart apps, oohh scratch and sniff, damn it doesn't work! stupid phone.
    12-15-11 06:25 AM
    You are so anti-American it's not even funny. I don't own a single fart app in the 30+ apps I have. In fact, everyone I know who has an iPhone has NO fart apps.

The only people who seem concerned with fart apps are some of the BlackBerry users around here.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk
    vrs626, mokeikoberry and Maliberti like this.
    12-15-11 06:32 AM
    Seriously. You can tell who has never used another deive besides a BlackBerry.

Every major business has an app. They are useful. It'd too bad BlackBerry doesn't have more apps that are useful.
    12-15-11 06:37 AM
    I am curious. Wasn't it one of the RIM CEO's that originated the "nothing but Fart apps" claim against Apple's whole app concept when he said Apps were just a Fad?

I'll have to look that up. It was a popular catch phrase when it first came out but now it frankly makes people look very naive when they use it. What makes it even worse is to here it used by us Blackberry users. After all, take a look at the plethora of useful professional Business apps that are overflowing in the Playbook app selection.

Judging by some of our apps, the fart apps would be an upgrade.
    Maliberti likes this.
    12-15-11 07:17 AM
    It makes me think the people who said that maybe had an iPhone and that's all THEY downloaded. Ha. That's one explanation.

You can't have used an iPhone or Android and NOT know how many awesome apps there are.

I can't even find a good period tracker app on BlackBerry. This was important to me on Android. I miss that app.
    12-15-11 07:51 AM
    For some point I agree, that depends on the people. BB should increase their marketing strategy for it.
    You'd need something worth marketing first. If BB10 is as good as they say it will be and it can compete with Android and iOS, then that is something to market. The current devices are good in their own league, but they can't compete with iOS and Android. The specs aren't there. "Come get a BB7 device! We don't have apps and our OS isn't nearly as good as iOS but we have BBMM!"

You are so anti-American it's not even funny. I don't own a single fart app in the 30+ apps I have. In fact, everyone I know who has an iPhone has NO fart apps.

The only people who seem concerned with fart apps are some of the BlackBerry users around here.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk
    The fart app comments are almost as good as the iToy comments.
    12-15-11 08:12 AM
    I thought BB numbers were still up, as in still selling more devices. Droid and Apple just got popular and are selling more?

For all the ******** about fads, everybody here is victim of the "poor RIM" fad.

I am watching an ATT 9810 comercial now.
    12-15-11 08:13 AM
    in my opinion blackberry can already compete, why should all OS's have to look and feel like the iphone? (They all seem to be going in that direction).

What blackberry need to do is rethink their marketing stratergy and advertising, BB10 cannot work without fresh advertising ideas

P.S. Please RIM.. Change the name of the playbook... It sounds like a toy
    12-15-11 08:43 AM
    It makes me think the people who said that maybe had an iPhone and that's all THEY downloaded. Ha. That's one explanation.

You can't have used an iPhone or Android and NOT know how many awesome apps there are.

I can't even find a good period tracker app on BlackBerry. This was important to me on Android. I miss that app.
    Are you looking for a postal tracker app or gps tracking app?
    12-15-11 09:06 AM
    in my opinion blackberry can already compete, why should all OS's have to look and feel like the iphone? (They all seem to be going in that direction).
    That's why the iPhone4s has been the top selling device with all 3 major carriers. It's what people want. Whether it's the form factor, the fluidness of the device or just the name, I don't know but it's selling like mad.
    12-15-11 09:21 AM
    People nowadays only want apps. Today the battle is based on how many apps you have or available for download on your device..
    12-15-11 09:51 AM
145 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD