Why are blackberry applications so expensive?

For example, (using playbook app world prices) monopoly 5 pounds
    Angry birds 2-5 quid, and a tonne of games that are about 1.50-2.00

Why is this?
    03-28-13 06:50 PM
    Because developers know blackberry users are more willing to pay for apps. No other reason

Posted via CB10
    aarty likes this.
    03-28-13 07:00 PM
    Because its not expensive 1.50-2.00. Wow I loose that in the couch each day.
    03-28-13 07:13 PM
    When you compare them to other platforms it is expensive.. It adds up quickly, I'm not willing to pay the stupid prices :P

I read somewhere the apps are priced in dollars and not converted into pounds? Doubt it just happened to stumble across the info
    jordandrews90, IqWaN and ihys like this.
    03-28-13 07:26 PM
    When you compare them to other platforms it is expensive.. It adds up quickly, I'm not willing to pay the stupid prices :P

I read somewhere the apps are priced in dollars and not converted into pounds? Doubt it just happened to stumble across the info
    That problem isn't on BlackBerry 10.
    I don't know if it was fixed on the legacy os unfortunately

Posted via CB10
    03-28-13 07:44 PM
    Because its not expensive 1.50-2.00. Wow I loose that in the couch each day.
    Where do you live? I want to come raid your couch.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-13 07:47 PM
    Developers make money on ads in other platforms. There are more users on Iphones and Androids so the ad revenue adds up. BlackBerry has a smaller user base, hence they need to charge to make some money. At least that's one reason.
    ErinnM and trynacu2 like this.
    03-28-13 08:01 PM
    Developers make money on ads in other platforms. There are more users on Iphones and Androids so the ad revenue adds up. BlackBerry has a smaller user base, hence they need to charge to make some money. At least that's one reason.
    I understand this but you can look at it in other ways.. If the app is cheaper they will sell more and in theory than end up with larger profit
    ihys likes this.
    03-28-13 08:22 PM
    I understand this but you can look at it in other ways.. If the app is cheaper they will sell more and in theory than end up with larger profit
    Again if BlackBerry user base is small, regardless if you drop the price, there is only so many would purchase the apps. As popular as Angry Bird or Monopoly games are, not all 76 million BlackBerry users will purchase the games. On the other hand, these are big developers of course they are looking for making a sizeable profit. For an independent developer, he/she will be lucky to sell the apps in the hundreds let alone thousands. The money making opportunity per game or per apps is short. Unless site like this give a good review, most weren't notice by average users. Most of us are games and apps fatigue. How many of those we downloaded and actually use? A specific game or app will not sell more if it's cheap. It will sell more if it's good and got the attention of the users. We are not talking about 99cents versus $19.99. Most are $5 or less. Within the tolerable price range for average users.
    ddlax22 and Zirak like this.
    03-28-13 08:58 PM
    Yeah there really isn't two ways about it. I has always been like this and may change in the future but for now that's just the way it is

Posted via CB10 - FINALLY
    03-28-13 09:10 PM
    Hi OP. Here is my perspective. I can not code. I am very happy to pay a couple of bucks for a quality app. I can't build a smartphone. I am happy to pay hundreds of bucks for one from someone who does. See how that works?
    peter9477, trynacu2 and Zirak like this.
    03-28-13 10:20 PM
    Hi OP. Here is my perspective. I can not code. I am very happy to pay a couple of bucks for a quality app. I can't build a smartphone. I am happy to pay hundreds of bucks for one from someone who does. See how that works?
    That's a real good way to look at it actually. I never thought of it like that. Awesome

Posted via CB10 - FINALLY
    03-28-13 10:30 PM

Why is this?
    What versions are you comparing with on other platforms though?

I seem to remember in the past that people complained about the price of angry birds on the playbook while conveniently overlooking the fact that the price of the ipad version was pretty much the same.
    03-29-13 06:20 AM
    I can remember seeing many apps that were much higher priced on BlackBerry years ago, but not recently. What I do see is developers having two versions of apps on other platforms - a free ad-supported version, and a paid version. Most of the time, the paid version costs the same across all platforms.

I thought it interesting that when I released RuneCryption, people asked me if I was going to charge a higher price on BlackBerry. I never understood that logic, especially when it is released on BlackBerry first. It made more sense to charge the same across the board.

The only thing that seems a little different is how the different stores handle price conversion. Last year, it seemed like it was based on a minimum of $.99, and didn't convert well to other countries. A few months ago, they made adjustments to the system to make pricing more fair. Before then, you couldn't set the value below 0.99, no matter the currency.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-13 06:38 AM
    I actually think the big win for the Dev Relations team/BBRY is achieving a greater degree of parity with regards to pricing and initial availability. It seems t have improved GREATLY with BB10.
    03-29-13 06:59 AM
    I switched from and ipad, still have the pad I bought angry birds star wars for 69 pence :P
    03-29-13 07:27 AM

Posted via CB10
    playbook os2.1 is not a legacy os its QNX and it is still current and relevent
    03-29-13 07:33 AM
    It's annoying. I was looking forward to downloading the mlb at bat app, that was until I saw the 20 dollar price tag.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-13 07:47 AM
    prices on tablets are high because they are customized for bigger screen
    03-29-13 07:48 AM
    playbook os2.1 is not a legacy os its QNX and it is still current and relevent
    I forgot about PlayBook os but I was talking about os 7.1 and below

Posted via CB10
    03-29-13 07:55 AM

Posted via CB10
    That what we call previous OS now? Legacy

Posted via CB10
    03-29-13 08:02 AM
    Expensive? I waste same money for a cup of coffee.
    $0.99 - $2.99 range is okay. Good apps don't grow from ground. Is not easy develop a really top quality app, my friend.
    03-29-13 08:19 AM

Why is this?
    Surely you've never played anything by Gameloft Inc on PB.

Download anything from Gameloft and then tell me the price wasn't worth it
    03-29-13 08:32 AM
    I forgot about PlayBook os but I was talking about os 7.1 and below

Posted via CB10
    fair enough, and why would devs lower prices then bb app world was ome of the most profitable app stores
    03-29-13 08:54 AM
    It's annoying. I was looking forward to downloading the mlb at bat app, that was until I saw the 20 dollar price tag.

Posted via CB10
    It was 15 bucks last yr, and with prices going up for everything (inflation) it makes sense, I bought it! For a ball fan and a native app its awesome

Posted via CB10
    03-29-13 09:30 AM
101 123 ...