You do realize that BBOS is slowly being phased out.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    That's a very confidence inspiring comment.... Maybe I should not get any BB10 at all... because if BB11 comes next year, BB10 will become obsolete and completely out of fashion and the company would not care about it any more.... That's pretty terrible in my opinion....

My sister's 9900 is 5 months old and is already phased out.... great....

I'm not asking to develop new crazy cool apps, just update the features of the NATIVE apps to get them up to date if they still are selling phones.

BBos should be for Balckberry what symbian is for Nokia, the entry level phones, wich means for people that aren't rich, and that probably can't afford to buy a internet data plan and rely purely on wifi
    Last edited by Joao Oliveira; 12-10-13 at 08:38 PM.
    12-10-13 08:26 PM
    That's a very confidence inspiring comment.... Maybe I should not get any BB10 at all... because if BB11 comes next year, BB10 will become obsolete and completely out of fashion and the company would not care about it any more.... That's pretty terrible in my opinion....

I'm not asking to develop new crazy cool apps, just update the features of the NATIVE apps to get them up to date if they still are selling phones.
    Dude 9900 came out in 2011... of course they should continue updating their set of native apps. But it's not the priority. BB10 is.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    12-10-13 08:32 PM
    There will not be a BB11.... the OS isn't going to be rebuilt again... and I don't know what you want me to say... I'm telling you what's going to happen.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    12-10-13 08:36 PM
    Dude 9900 came out in 2011... of course they should continue updating their set of native apps. But it's not the priority. BB10 is.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    It came out in 2011, but you can still buy it in 2013, and i'm pretty sure in 1 year time, the 9900 would still be in some stores...
    I agree is not a priority, but since they want to expand their BBM user base, it would have made a lot of sense. Like I said before, today, I have only 1 friend on BBM that's using a Iphone 4, and I have 2 friends on whatsapp that are using a blackberry and don't have data plan... Blackberry knows their BBos quite well, updating it shouldn't be nowere near as difficult as making BBM for android and IOS, just saying...

BBos should be for Balckberry what symbian is for Nokia, the entry level phones, wich means for people that aren't rich, and that probably can't afford to buy a internet data plan and rely purely on wifi
    12-10-13 08:44 PM
    There will not be a BB11.... the OS isn't going to be rebuilt again... and I don't know what you want me to say... I'm telling you what's going to happen.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    Jonh Chen isn't saying much about BB10... I wouldn't say they would reengeneer the OS, but I still believe that Jonh Chen would want to Start from zero, and kind of Re-brand BB10 in a "new" os with a new name. But this is just my opinion, that to be honest, I'm not that confident in it, but still...
    12-10-13 08:46 PM
    Jonh Chen isn't saying much about BB10... I wouldn't say they would reengeneer the OS, but I still believe that Jonh Chen would want to Start from zero, and kind of Re-brand BB10 in a "new" os with a new name. But this is just my opinion, that to be honest, I'm not that confident in it, but still...
    Starting from zero.... is wasting more money. They need to improve what they have and pull in more developers while releasing proper ads.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    12-10-13 08:50 PM

A theoretical BB11 would share more in common with BB10 (both being QNX based) than BB10 does with BBOS (Java based). The QNX based OS is what BlackBerry is using going forward. BBOS is at this point, dead man walking. Why would BlackBerry spend development time and money on changing the workings of the old OS and the whole BES/BIS infrastructure built around it? BBM on BBOS never had the ability to run without having a BIS or BES plan, I don't see why they would start now, especially considering they are trying to encourage upgrading to BB10 devices. iOS and Android get BBM "for free" because BlackBerry recognizes that their future is going to at least partially involve multi-platform software solutions. They key here, is that it's a strategic move for the future.
    12-10-13 09:38 PM
    I think there should be BBM for old phones (bbos) that get their data from wi-fi.

There are people who use wi-fi in many places, instead of purchasing wireless cellular data.
    12-10-13 10:25 PM
    A theoretical BB11 would share more in common with BB10 (both being QNX based) than BB10 does with BBOS (Java based). The QNX based OS is what BlackBerry is using going forward. BBOS is at this point, dead man walking. Why would BlackBerry spend development time and money on changing the workings of the old OS and the whole BES/BIS infrastructure built around it? BBM on BBOS never had the ability to run without having a BIS or BES plan, I don't see why they would start now, especially considering they are trying to encourage upgrading to BB10 devices. iOS and Android get BBM "for free" because BlackBerry recognizes that their future is going to at least partially involve multi-platform software solutions. They key here, is that it's a strategic move for the future.
    I understand, but the Q5 isn't exactly entry level, is more of a mid end device. To do that, they should make a real alternative for the ex curves
    12-10-13 11:04 PM
    What about "What'sApp"...?
    I am a big BB-Fan, but my friends are not... so we use What'sApp... I think it is free of charge the first year, then it costs 0,89? yearly here in Germany... It is telephone number related, not device related, so if some friends of yours have prepaid cards, they can change number and have one year free again...
    This is suggested as a solution for you...
    It would be better if BlackBerryMessenger supports WiFi, too, without BIS... indeed!
    Cheers.

Posted via my BlackBerry*Q10, Germany
    12-10-13 11:16 PM
    What about "What'sApp"...?
    I am a big BB-Fan, but my friends are not... so we use What'sApp... I think it is free of charge the first year, then it costs 0,89? yearly here in Germany... It is telephone number related, not device related, so if some friends of yours have prepaid cards, they can change number and have one year free again...
    This is suggested as a solution for you...
    It would be better if BlackBerryMessenger supports WiFi, too, without BIS... indeed!
    Cheers.

Posted via my BlackBerry*Q10, Germany
    That's what I use mate if you have a read in previous posts I'm perfectly fine using whatsapp, my friends don't mind either.

But the reason I made this post, is that Blackberry want's to expand it's BBM user base, but they are holding back a bit with older devices, they could grab a bunch of old OS users less wealthy if they made BBM to work without data plan, I'm just saying is that Blackberry strategy to be the number on Instant messaging service has a dark hole here. After all, seems that there's still a big number of people that didn't made their move to BB10, and still are rocking the older BBOS devices
    12-10-13 11:24 PM
    I understand, but the Q5 isn't exactly entry level, is more of a mid end device. To do that, they should make a real alternative for the ex curves
    I hear ya...in an ideal situation, extending the life of the BB7 devices with a few tweaks in order to fill out the bottom end would probably appeal to existing BBOS users. And I agree, as much as the Q5 as meant to be an entry level model, it certainly isn't priced that way. I think BlackBerry had to make the decision to push hard for BB10 adoption and sales, which means it will come at the cost of no longer updating BB7.

Personally, I don't think they should or need to modify BBM for legacy devices to run on wifi without BIS or BES. It's never been able to, why start now. But at the same time, if BBM is really that important to some, I can see this potentially opening up the door for cheaper Android devices that can run BBM on wifi to gain more of a foothold in those markets where BBOS is still popular.
    12-11-13 12:09 AM
    BBM control is part of the deal with carriers.

They won't change it. They can't now. Carriers were promised that they can control BBM usage, that's one of the few reasons they get to pay BlackBerry royalties.

Yes, I get your point, no they still won't do it.

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.0.1791
    stlabrat likes this.
    12-11-13 12:29 AM
    Your comment is absolutely ignorant, why people make comments like this?
    Blackberry is still selling BBOS devices, Blackberry ISN'T only selling BB10 devices.... FORD isn't selling the ford T. But dont embarrass yourself and go that way, because car sellers sell parts for cars that went out of production... but what's the problem in selling parts for a ford T? the problem is when they make parts for chevrolet and not for the model T (read android \ IOS)

This printscreen was taken 30 seconds ago.... This is official blackberry website, and as you can see there is (BUY IT NOW) option... All the carreirs still have BBOS phones. And this is exactly the reason i'm complaining, they are still selling their phones officialy, so they should update their apps aswell...

Attachment 228871
    You're being ignorant.
    The BlackBerry OS is at the end of its life.

Ok let me use another analogy. Do Sony still make new accessories for the psp?

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 10:35 AM
    Personally, I don't think they should or need to modify BBM for legacy devices to run on wifi without BIS or BES. It's never been able to, why start now. But at the same time, if BBM is really that important to some, I can see this potentially opening up the door for cheaper Android devices that can run BBM on wifi to gain more of a foothold in those markets where BBOS is still popular.
    It makes sense because BBOS os the "cheap" blackberry. If you're cheaping out on the phone, means that you're not rich, and if you're not rich, you probably don't want to spend extra money on a data plan, in a phone with BBOS, that even is that good to surf the web... so most people just use wifi, and those people will have to use whatsapp.
    12-11-13 10:38 AM
    You're being ignorant.
    The BlackBerry OS is at the end of its life.

Ok let me use another analogy. Do Sony still make new accessories for the psp?

Posted via CB10
    They made acessories for PSP while it was being sold, and firmware updates were being ssold still. Look, when PS3 was out, there was still stuf being made for PS2, and now that ps4 is out, PS3 is still getting updates and improvments. Blackberry is still selling BBOS devices, and if so, they should support them at least until they completely phase them out. Nokia didn't stop developing Symbian, and they are in a much more complicated process, because they were bought by microsoft, and star adopting a completely new operating system.

Get his in your minds, I'M NOT ASKING TO BRING CRAZY UPDATES to BBOS, i'm just asking to let BBM use wi-fi on BBOS devices (that still are selling, and will be selling still in 1 year for sure), so that BBM can keep growing.

I don't realy care much, I can use whatsapp, is the same thing, but Blackberry should care, because is about they getting money, and is about giving some respect to older Blackberry users that helped the company grow.

Not everybody, or every country has consumerism habits that change phone every year, some people keep their devices until they don't work.... Looks like some people here live in their own cocoon and think that everybody can upgrade their phones every year, and that someone that is using a 2 or 3 year old device is already old fashioned....
    Davidro1 likes this.
    12-11-13 10:50 AM
    Is even funnier that people are against me for thinking that is stupid a 5 year old iphone or android have more BBM previleges than someone that bought a Blackberry 1 year ago (Yes because 1 year ago there wasn't any BB10 phone, you could only get a BBOS)
    Davidro1 likes this.
    12-11-13 10:54 AM
    They made acessories for PSP while it was being sold, and firmware updates were being ssold still. Look, when PS3 was out, there was still stuf being made for PS2, and now that ps4 is out, PS3 is still getting updates and improvments. Blackberry is still selling BBOS devices, and if so, they should support them at least until they completely phase them out. Nokia didn't stop developing Symbian, and they are in a much more complicated process, because they were bought by microsoft, and star adopting a completely new operating system.

Get his in your minds, I'M NOT ASKING TO BRING CRAZY UPDATES to BBOS, i'm just asking to let BBM use wi-fi on BBOS devices (that still are selling, and will be selling still in 1 year for sure), so that BBM can keep growing.

I don't realy care much, I can use whatsapp, is the same thing, but Blackberry should care, because is about they getting money, and is about giving some respect to older Blackberry users that helped the company grow.

Not everybody, or every country has consumerism habits that change phone every year, some people keep their devices until they don't work.... Looks like some people here live in their own cocoon and think that everybody can upgrade their phones every year, and that someone that is using a 2 or 3 year old device is already old fashioned....
    The psp is still being sold. The vita has replaced it and accessories are no longer being made for it.
    Such is the way of everything. The old has to make way for the new.
    Will you argue next that because BlackBerry 10 is gesture based, all previous BlackBerry phones should be made to be gesture based as well?

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 10:59 AM
    The psp is still being sold. The vita has replaced it and accessories are no longer being made for it.
    Such is the way of everything. The old has to make way for the new.
    Will you argue next that because BlackBerry 10 is gesture based, all previous BlackBerry phones should be made to be gesture based as well?

Posted via CB10
    Why the hell you're talking about accessories? did I ask any Accessories for old Blackberrys?

But just to shut you up (yet again), do you want me to post more print screens of acessories being sold in playstation store for PSP? I'll do it for you... your posts are such garbage full of misinformation....
    Lot's of acessories selling for you in official playstation store...Hey... they even have PS2 there aswell... so what's your next piece of useless information?
    Why BBM isn't "free" in Blackberry phones?-p7ta.jpg

WTF* are you talking about gestures? what does making a app wi-fi compatible has to do with wanting gestures? Am i asking for imessenger, facetime, and playstore in old BBOS? Stop troling...
    Davidro1 likes this.
    12-11-13 11:21 AM
    Is even funnier that people are against me for thinking that is stupid a 5 year old iphone or android have more BBM previleges than someone that bought a Blackberry 1 year ago (Yes because 1 year ago there wasn't any BB10 phone, you could only get a BBOS)
    Well, to be accurate, I believe only iOS 6+ and Android 4.0+ are able to use BBMx. That would rule out most 5 year old models.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    12-11-13 11:24 AM
    Well, to be accurate, I believe only iOS 6+ and Android 4.0+ are able to use BBMx. That would rule out most 5 year old models.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    I guess you're right, thanks for the info mate
    Still, you can get IOS6 in the iphone 3GS wich is a 2009 phone, not sure about androids to be honest.

Me and my friends can have whatsapp, kik, viber even on BBOS5, since they don't have data plan, we use whatsapp to comunicate, and whatsapp every so often releases updates on old BBOS phones, so I guess is still has a userbase worth of upgrading the app... For me its the same using BBM or other IM app, I have nothing to lose or win, blackberry is the one loosing phone costomers and especialy BBM users by not upgrading their older BBM app... I think they should adress that for THEIR own good, not for mine, doesn't make a difference for me.
    Davidro1 likes this.
    12-11-13 11:51 AM
    Bottom line is. BB10 is the future for BlackBerry. You either buy into it or you don't.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    12-11-13 12:10 PM
    What on Earth are you talking about. Evolving BB10 and renaming it to BB11 will be no more a "rebuilding" undertaking than when BlackBerry went from OS 4 to OS 5, or 5 to 6, or 6 to 7. The underpinning base remains and new functionality is added. Simple.
    12-11-13 12:23 PM
    What on Earth are you talking about. Evolving BB10 and renaming it to BB11 will be no more a "rebuilding" undertaking than when BlackBerry went from OS 4 to OS 5, or 5 to 6, or 6 to 7. The underpinning base remains and new functionality is added. Simple.
    He was referring that BB11 would leave BB10 devices unable to upgrade.... thats what I'm talking about.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    12-11-13 12:25 PM
    He was referring that BB11 would leave BB10 devices unable to upgrade.... thats what I'm talking about.
    This is what I got and that does not seem to be what you are saying. Was there somewhere else?

Joao Oliveira likes this.
    12-11-13 12:32 PM
109 12345