Tests cannot be taken seriously unless someone else can get the same results. Until that happens, it's supposition and hyperbole.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    11-26-12 01:27 PM
    So bb10 will save both rim and blackberry because the end product has been seen by head honchos...??

I would hope the head honchos have seen it.. it's their product.
    You have gone from expressing your opinion to defending it rabidly. If it was just an opinion, then the entire CrackBerry nation knows where you stand by now. However now it seems you are beating a dead horse for some personal agenda. Your opinion is well known. Now take a step back and let other's express your own without running the risk of you descending on them like a certified mental.
    I'm not saying you are wrong. Just take a deep breath and wait for BB10 launch. A year from that either you would be proven right or wrong. But your constant aggression to everyone else smacks of trolling. If you really believe in what you say, let time prove your right. You are diminishing your own point of view by your troll comments.
    You have said what you wanted to say. Now be the bigger man and let time prove you right. I just hope that just in the smallest of probabilities time proves you wrong, you will revisit this thread and admit you were wrong.
    11-26-12 01:28 PM
    I've been talking a lot with a childhood friend of mine who's coding for RIM.

From what I've heard, I'm very excited.
    11-26-12 01:30 PM
    I remember belfastdispatcher's claim about the mp3 data compression. It made me raise my eyebrows and I called him out on it. When pressed he gave the same change-the-subject answer that he just gave earlier, and I also remember he said something along the lines of "who cares, it's magic".
    Oh yes.
    I remember having to take a dozen pictures to back up my statement that the 9900 camera is subpar when compared to the Skyrocket and the iPhone 4S.
    Clear results, posted side by side, unaltered.
    He should do exactly the same test, video it, and post it, in exactly the same manner I had to go out and take a dozen photos or more.
    Prove the assertion and everyone will see it.

11-26-12 01:31 PM
    Oh yes.
    I remember having to take a dozen pictures to back up my statement that the 9900 camera is subpar when compared to the Skyrocket and the iPhone 4S.
    Clear results, posted side by side, unaltered.
    He should do exactly the same test, video it, and post it, in exactly the same manner I had to go out and take a dozen photos or more.
    Prove the assertion and everyone will see it.

I found one of the old threads, I used the same app to measure the mp3 download test but it must've been in a different thread. I took my data tests serious at the time but as I said, I did satisfy my curiosity at the time.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=620287
    11-26-12 01:48 PM
    Here's another one but I'm not willing to dig any deeper, I have other things to do.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=623075
    11-26-12 01:54 PM
    Just wait for January 30th to see what the device actually comes with and does. We know that Playbook works just fine with ActiveSync and still uses the NOC/BIS:

Further Explanation of the Role of the NOC and how Native Email Works on BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2 | CrackBerry.com

BBM, AppWorld, BBTraffic, BBProtect, e-mail setup, etc., etc. all talk to and use Blackberry's NOC/BIS for functionality. They also have a patent for what is basically selectively kicking in BIS/NOC Compression for low bandwidth/roaming situations (i.e. when it is most valuable) and not using it when high bandwidth available.

I personally want to have the NOC as an option because when I travel internationally it works best and is cheap without having to switch SIM's and people can get a hold of me via call or BBM in an emergency. I only watch movies that I preload on devices when on a train/plane and have WiFi in the hotel if I want to watch something there. My case is different than some here, but one's person's use doesn't negate or justify the value of how something works for everyone.
    11-26-12 01:55 PM
    I found one of the old threads, I used the same app to measure the mp3 download test but it must've been in a different thread. I took my data tests serious at the time but as I said, I did satisfy my curiosity at the time.

BBM data usage, it's official - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
    Here's another one but I'm not willing to dig any deeper, I have other things to do.

More interesting data usage stats- mobile vs full browsing - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
    LOL, what is this? MP3 or podcast or Audio isn't even mentioned in those threads. It would have been so much easier if you just admitted to a mistake about the MP3 claim. Much more honorable than this approach of misdirection and obfuscation that you've chosen.
    11-26-12 02:43 PM
    LOL, what is this? MP3 or podcast or Audio isn't even mentioned in those threads. It would have been so much easier if you just admitted to a mistake about the MP3 claim. Much more honorable than this approach of misdirection and obfuscation that you've chosen.
    There was no mistake, it was at around the same time when I was a little obsessed with measuring data usage. Start digging if you wish.
    11-26-12 02:50 PM
    Yup, I find it easier to just ignore foolish claims and stick to the facts. RIM offers some compression statistics somewhere. Anything else without proof is useless.
    11-26-12 02:54 PM
    There was no mistake, it was at around the same time when I was a little obsessed with measuring data usage. Start digging if you wish.
    Here's a classic case of how sticking to one's story, one gets painted into a corner with no way out. It would have been easy to just admit a mistake early on, but now that option is gone. The thing is, the compression you are claiming for MP3s is mathematically impossible per information theory. It could have been an honest mistake. But it also could have been intentional overselling, i.e. lying for RIM.

Actually this issue does not have to be decided an Easter egg hunt for old threads. It's a easy test to do. Download a podcast again and do the data measurements. Simple.
    11-26-12 03:07 PM
    We don't know what bb10 will bring. not everyone will go out and buy an iphone. if you go into any carrier store you will see less options to pick from. I think bb10 will have its strong hold on the business crowd. the thing I do hope they'll improve is the virtual keyboard. I have recently gotten a playbook and typing on it is very bad. it has glitches and I hope rim will fix this problem come around bb10. right now I feel as if apple has the best virtual keyboard. so I hope rim can hope to make itself more worthy interms of virtual typing. but I am waiting for bb10 and the best of luck.
    11-26-12 03:11 PM
    Here's a classic case of how sticking to one's story, one gets painted into a corner with no way out. It would have been easy to just admit a mistake early on, but now that option is gone. The thing is, the compression you are claiming for MP3s is mathematically impossible per information theory. It could have been an honest mistake. But it also could have been intentional overselling, i.e. lying for RIM.

Actually this issue does not have to be decided an Easter egg hunt for old threads. It's a easy test to do. Download a podcast again and do the data measurements. Simple.
    Well said
    11-26-12 05:07 PM

Happy? You probably still don't believe me.
    Attached Thumbnails Why BB10 will not save Blackberry-edshot-20-mon-20nov-2026-202012-2011.57.48-20pm-.jpg   Why BB10 will not save Blackberry-edshot-20-mon-20nov-2026-202012-2011.59.03-20pm-.jpg  
    11-26-12 06:03 PM
    I love the way my blackberry handles my e-mail accounts with BIS and to be honest for the past months I haven't sent that many mails anymore since I've relied more on social media and whatsapp since I can attach any kind of files to onto them.
    11-26-12 06:09 PM
    Happy? You probably still don't believe me.
    Huh? It's not clear to me what you just posted. First of all, that doesn't come close the degree of compression you had been claiming. Why is it showing "Wifi Rim"? Is this a wifi test or on 3G? Can you explain your testing methodology here?
    11-26-12 06:16 PM
    Huh? It's not clear to me what you just posted. First of all, that doesn't come close the degree of compression you had been claiming. Why is it showing "Wifi Rim"? Is this a wifi test or on 3G? Can you explain your testing methodology here?
    I'm on wifi but everything still goes trough the NOC, and it's more or less the same what I was claiming, 25mb podcast with 19mb of data or so but that was on a diferent phone, bold 9700. I now have the 9900.

I reset the counter before I clicked save and took a screen shot when the podcast was downloaded.

Now, don't ask me how it work, perhaps it is magic but I don't care to know. I just know it works.
    11-26-12 06:32 PM
    I'm on wifi but everything still goes trough the NOC, and it's more or less the same what I was claiming, 25mb podcast with 19mb of data or so but that was on a diferent phone, bold 9700. I now have the 9900.

I reset the counter before I clicked save and took a screen shot when the podcast was downloaded.

Now, don't ask me how it work, perhaps it is magic but I don't care to know. I just know it works.
    Sorry I don't believe in magic. If someone claims to have built a perpetual motion machine, physicists can dismiss the claim without even bothering to look at the machine. In the same vein, your test must be wrong.

Thank you though, for delivering on the test. I was afraid that this would be one of those discussions with nothing but handwaving. For attempting to bring some evidence, I am grateful.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    11-26-12 06:57 PM

For interest's sake, I tried downloading a podcast from the same site over Wifi. I downloaded it twice...once with SIM in and once with SIM out. The data transferred was within a few thousand bytes between the two transfers.

You should really hold onto that magic 9900, it could be worth a lot of money someday when someone decides to reverse-engineer it and discover the source of its supernatural abilities.
    Rickroller likes this.
    11-26-12 07:10 PM
    PEOPLE. Stop wasting your time commenting in this thread.

Seriously - Go outside, live life, enjoy it. It's clear that there will be no answers in this thread and whether the OP intended it or not, it's turned into a trollfest.

So do yourself a favour - stop!

You're welcome
    sacrdandprofne and cjcampbell like this.
    11-26-12 09:10 PM
    Not sure how we transgressed from ActiveSync to compression through BIS, but I've no doubt someone here could summarize the fantastic voyage.

What I'd prefer is either setting a course for OnTopic (the location is fabled near here somewhere), or ya'll do as suggested above, and simply jump ship. There are other ports of call around here you can venture to.
    pkcable likes this.
    11-26-12 10:22 PM
    11-26-12 10:33 PM
    11-29-12 02:20 AM
273 ... 91011