If more carriers start passing BIS fees onto the customer, it's going to hurt RIM. If a customer is on the edge between Blackberry and another device, an extra $5 a month could be a definite tipping point.
    11-24-12 08:06 AM
    If more carriers start passing BIS fees onto the customer, it's going to hurt RIM. If a customer is on the edge between Blackberry and another device, an extra $5 a month could be a definite tipping point.
    Or you could pay extra money for the extra data needed (I know, it's a tired argument but valid none the less).....
    11-24-12 10:35 AM
    But BB10 does not stand a chance of saving RIM if it still uses BIS.
    Why BB10 will not save Blackberry-7549650190_b0d2efdb73.jpg

11-24-12 10:41 AM
    It is that simple. Lack of Active Sync makes a BB a non starter for consumers. That's why market share is 5% and is plummeting.

This Thorsten guy is not coming across as any type of genius.
    I am not sure where you get some of your numbers there E92Vancouver, 5% market share? With 80+ million active users? That would mean well over a billion people currently use smartphones? That is not true, smartphones are still a rapidly growing industry which is exactly why I think all 4 major platforms (OS's) can coexist. If BB10 fails it will not be over email capabilities which RIM pioneered in smartphones, it will be over lack sales and interest.

I think BB10 will succeed, I am not sure if RIM will ever be the market leader again, but in a growing industry, it is not impossible. In a growing industry there is no written rule that only one or two platforms can exist, there is plenty of room for iOS, Android, WP, and BB10. Think about it, RIM has over 80+ million users despite not releasing any notable devices in well over a year? People are looking forward to BB10, with the right marketing and positive word of mouth, it can be wildly successful...
    bigbadben10 and alan510 like this.
    11-24-12 12:32 PM
    Market share numbers Nov 1, 2012

Why BB10 will not save Blackberry-idc.jpg
    kbz1960 and Bobcat665 like this.
    11-24-12 01:32 PM
    Market share numbers Nov 1, 2012

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IDC.JPG 
Views:	185 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	126339
    -34% ouch
    11-24-12 01:34 PM
    In light of this thread I think I might make my own about how not releasing a BB10 phone with a keyboard will destroy RIM.
    11-24-12 02:23 PM
    In light of this thread I think I might make my own about how not releasing a BB10 phone with a keyboard will destroy RIM.
    Lots of things will come together and will destroy Rim, it wont be any specific one.
    E92Vancouver likes this.
    11-24-12 02:27 PM
    Is that just American market share or market share for the 3rd quarter only bc under that percentage of 4.3% market share, that means with the 80+ million BB users then about 1.5 billion other people are using other mobile platforms? There are not 1.5 billion people in the world using smartphones, sorry, there just isn't. This stat chart being used is extremely misleading...
    11-24-12 03:05 PM
    What if you don't? What if you have a simple pop3 or imap email account? I have a hosted email with 1and1.co.uk and I didn't want to pay extra for exchange, will I get instant email? With a BlackBerry I do, always have, and I don't need to know any settings when I set it up, BIS pulls them automatically.
    POP email with BIS on a Blackberry is not instant. The BB server polls the POP server on 15 minute intervals. If it finds an email, it polls every 5 minutes. If after 15 minutes there isn't another email, it goes back to polling every 15 minutes. BIS can't turn a POP account into push email.
    11-24-12 03:14 PM
    Seems the OP is more worried about carriers paying RIM for BIS as that keeps being brought up.
    My issue is I use webmail (i.e. Gmail, Hotmail, Live & Yahoo) that works on the ActiveSync Protocol. My mail is push but that is not my main concern. My main concern is having my mobile inbox looking exactly the same as my webmail inbox on my PC. I don't get that with my Berry.
    11-24-12 03:17 PM
    The flawed premise that email limitations will kill the BB10 platform is absurd and I cannot believe in page 3 of this thread it is being repeated? If you stated BB10 will fail due to lack of interest, marketing, carrier subsidies, corporate use, sales, etc. then that is a much more fair point even if it is far too early to back that up with any facts or early indicators.
    11-24-12 03:18 PM
    ok, at first i thought this thread was crap and i still think it is, but after reading the posts on page 1 i now have a question

on my bb9700 my emails arrive almost immediately, and i always heard you have to wait for like 5-15 minutes on iOS and Android devices (appearantly not anymore with ActiveSync..blabla)
    just a quick simple question, because i honestly have no clue whatsoever:

bb10 will use BIS (just like all the BB's right now, right?), will we still get our emails almost immediately or will we actually have to wait 5-15 mins now?
    i always loved how my bb9700 handled emails : )
    Email on an Android or iphone is PUSH if you are using Gmail, Hotmail, Live, Yahoo or any other email service that can support ActiveSync. But ActiveSync gives you 2 way synchronization of your email, contacts and calendar. BIS can't do this but BES can.

What email provider do you use.
    11-24-12 03:20 PM
    POP email with BIS on a Blackberry is not instant. The BB server polls the POP server on 15 minute intervals. If it finds an email, it polls every 5 minutes. If after 15 minutes there isn't another email, it goes back to polling every 15 minutes. BIS can't turn a POP account into push email.
    my pop rogers account is pretty instant on my 9900 i don't know what you're talking about i can send myself an e mail and get it a second after, my playbook has abotu a 2-5 minute delay if i don't check on my phone then i get a blinking red light
    11-24-12 03:20 PM
    lol true but its just so eritating when soemone spreads rumors like this, this is exactly what bloggers do and it spreads a bad word and leaves believes feeling unsettled even if its just a little. like with the resent rise in RIMM stocks and all the buzy about BB10 and now the hat from CNETs stupid article, as soon as i read it i was like wow this guy is tryign to harsh my grove
    You are mistaken. BB10 on the Blackberry handsets will not use ActiveSync. BB10 uses ActiveSync on BES and the Playbook. Do some research.
    11-24-12 03:22 PM
    my pop rogers account is pretty instant on my 9900 i don't know what you're talking about i can send myself an e mail and get it a second after, my playbook has abotu a 2-5 minute delay if i don't check on my phone then i get a blinking red light
    You sure it's using the POP protocol? He's right about how it works on BB, it's a polling system rather than push.
    11-24-12 03:22 PM
    you can say whatever you'd like to, truth is you know nothing and now you're just trying to covince us that you have a slight clue when we all know you really don't. BB10 devices will support active sync, its already been stated in other threads on crackberry that if a company wants to go BYOD that an employee can bring a BB10 and still have it work mobile fusion will not be needed and liek i stated the current dev alphas and playbook support it so its already built into the current architecture
    Simply not true. I challenge you to show me one press release from RIM showing that BIS will use ActiveSync.

RIM realizes that ActiveSync is tne better protocol and are forced to use it for BES. They are forced to use it for the Playbook and it took them 7 months to admit that.

BIS will not use ActiveSync which ignores the consumer market. And here we are today watching RIM go out of business.
    11-24-12 03:25 PM
    While we are on this Activesync love fest, can someone tell me why my Lumia 900 gets my Gmail half an hour after my "Ancient " BB on BIS?
    The surprising thing is that my PB always gets the mail a few seconds before the BB. Now PB is on ActiveSync as well, so why is there this issue with Windows Phone?
    Also I don't know how RIM does it, but if I read the mail on my BB the mail is immediately shown as read on the PB, but it doesn't work the other way round.
    You need to set up Gmail on your Lumina as an exchange account. Your Lumina is popping the Gmail account.

The Gmail Exchange ActiveSync server settings for accessing incoming messages and online folders in an Exchange-enabled email program, cell phone or mobile device are:

Gmail Exchange ActiveSync server address: m.google.com
    Gmail Exchange ActiveSync domain: google
    Gmail Exchange ActiveSync user name: Your full Gmail address ([email protected], e.g.)
    Gmail Exchange ActiveSync password: Your Gmail password
    Gmail Exchange ActiveSync TLS/SSL required: yes
    11-24-12 03:27 PM
    I'm using a bb9900, and I have two hotmail accounts and a gmail account on my phone, and whenever I read or delete an email on my phone. It will do that on the pc as well...I've able to do this for a long time. Sorry don't know all this techy stuff "active sync" but I know what I do on my bb will show on the pc
    How about vice versa?
    11-24-12 03:29 PM
    Right now carriers are absorbing the cost but they should make the BB user pay. This would hurt RIM.
    11-24-12 03:31 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7549650190_b0d2efdb73.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	126327

People do care. The consumer market has ignored RIM. They have lost 90% of their market share and 90% of their market capitalization because they sell a vastly inferior product compared to an iphone or Android.
    Last edited by E92Vancouver; 11-24-12 at 03:45 PM.
    11-24-12 03:33 PM
    I agree! Keyboards are for the dinosaurs that comprise 5% of the market and never upgrade their phones. A keyboard phone is a waste of time. Nobody wants them. The market has spoken.
    Last edited by E92Vancouver; 11-24-12 at 03:46 PM.
    11-24-12 03:36 PM
    The flawed premise that email limitations will kill the BB10 platform is absurd and I cannot believe in page 3 of this thread it is being repeated? If you stated BB10 will fail due to lack of interest, marketing, carrier subsidies, corporate use, sales, etc. then that is a much more fair point even if it is far too early to back that up with any facts or early indicators.
    It is ironic how RIM pioneered mobile email, and now the email experience on a Berry is such a poor user experience compared to an Android or Iphone.
    11-24-12 03:37 PM
    Michael Clewley says that BlackBerry10 "Will follow the PlayBook model for mail."
    11-24-12 03:38 PM
    You should really check facts before pontificating and spreading misinformation. RIM has published lots of information on how BIS works with POP email. It polls every 15 minutes. Read this please. You may learn something interesting.

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp...001-4.2-US.pdf
    11-24-12 03:41 PM
273 12345 ...