Oh OK. When you said "just another forum poster with a BAD idea", combined with your sarcastic insults in the first line, it sounded very much like you were belittling the idea. If you actually meant that it was an alternative that merited serious consideration, then your sarcasm becomes rather nonsensical. In any case, one certainly must be careful with sarcasm on the internet, even when well expressed! If you were really trying to commend the OP, or suggest that his suggestion had merit, there's probably better ways to express it!
    Yes there is a better way and yes RIM Thor said they looked at android. The OP says use android OK they were there and did that and said no.
    11-09-12 05:31 AM
    Can't speak for Masahiro, as far as I'm concerned a FEW negative members isn't so bad. Negativity in the right balance keeps heads from swelling and adds some balanced discussion. When they're getting close to being half the posting majority, it's not a good place to be.
    Please put 'negative' in quotes, thank you.

More often than not, anything other than an outright prediction of glad tidings for RIM is branded as 'negativity'.

your last line actually paints that kind of picture...i've found the extreme cases like "OMG RIM IS DOOMED TO FAIL YOU ALL ARE TEH SUX" to be a minor percentage.

For example, someone who says "I don't really see how RIM can overturn the Android/iOS advantage given the strengths of their ecosystems and the staggering variety of choices available for Android" is often labelled 'negative' here.
    richardat likes this.
    11-09-12 05:51 AM
    Seeing as someone quoted BD.

NO ONE CARES ABOUT SECURITY!

The market numbers have proven that security is not a selling point for the majority of buyers. They just don't care. Security will not help RIM gain market share. Sorry, it is what it is. It just doesn't matter except to a handful of people. Apps and Eco-system matter, if RIM can nail that they're in with a chance. Without that they'll be a minor player.

Sent from my 4s using TapaTalk
    Simply not true. Security is becoming much more important than ever before. Why?

Banking by phone. Depositing checks by taking pictures of them. Automatic payments set up by smart phones.
    11-09-12 05:51 AM
    Simply not true. Security is becoming much more important than ever before. Why?

Banking by phone. Depositing checks by taking pictures of them. Automatic payments set up by smart phones.
    There are a number of 3rd parties in that equation that will have to be secured. That will apply to any handset. As I said, security goes beyond merely the phone itself. Do you really believe that security will be the deciding factor in the majority of sales? Current numbers would suggest it's a low priority.

Alex_Hong likes this.
    11-09-12 06:00 AM

You are mixing up a number of different concepts and groups

1) security is important to banking - agreed

2) security is important to organisations involved in financial transactions - agreed

3) that consumers perceive that security is important in financial transactions - largely agree

4) that consumers actually *do* anything about security - debatable.

If security was so important to consumers - where is the premium that blackberry devices should attract as being the most secure? it doesn't exist. There is no evidence that beyond saying that security is important to them that it influences decision making as much as factors such as the availability of cool games and interesting marketing.
    11-09-12 06:11 AM
    There are a number of 3rd parties in that equation that will have to be secured. That will apply to any handset. As I said, security goes beyond merely the phone itself. Do you really believe that security will be the deciding factor in the majority of sales? Current numbers would suggest it's a low priority.
    Yes, it is a low priority now because people don't do banking with their phones. When that starts to happen and your bank account info is on your phone and you start transmitting information from your phone to some NFC enabled device to pay for your purchase, then security will become more of an issue.
    Does anyone know how much of an issue security is in those Asian countries where electronic wallets are popular?
    11-09-12 06:13 AM
    Yes, it is a low priority now because people don't do banking with their phones. When that starts to happen and your bank account info is on your phone and you start transmitting information from your phone to some NFC enabled device to pay for your purchase, then security will become more of an issue.
    Does anyone know how much of an issue security is in those Asian countries where electronic wallets are popular?
    People bank on their phones everyday, hence why some bank apps let you deposit checks from your device.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    11-09-12 06:16 AM
    People bank on their phones everyday, hence why some bank apps let you deposit checks from your device.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    How can you deposit a cheque from your phone?
    11-09-12 06:24 AM
    Please put 'negative' in quotes, thank you.

More often than not, anything other than an outright prediction of glad tidings for RIM is branded as 'negativity'.

your last line actually paints that kind of picture...i've found the extreme cases like "OMG RIM IS DOOMED TO FAIL YOU ALL ARE TEH SUX" to be a minor percentage.

For example, someone who says "I don't really see how RIM can overturn the Android/iOS advantage given the strengths of their ecosystems and the staggering variety of choices available for Android" is often labelled 'negative' here.
    No the negativity is about the thought of RIM using Android as myself and I'm sure many others feel if we want to be using Android we already would be. We choose RIM because it isn't android or iOS.

I think there a lot of other threads here saying the same thing......RIM should use android. No
    11-09-12 06:26 AM
    With the acquisitions that RIM has made over the last few years, they are quite diversified. A lot of what they own helps with the new platform and components, but the great thing is, it is far more than that. They have an opportunity to expand into so much more.
    I wouldn't disagree. I think RIM is way more diversified now than in 07, but still needs (in my layman estimation) its phones to sell well to survive.

Not that I see Apple sitting nearly as pretty either if its phones stopped selling. They just have a lot more cushion.
    11-09-12 06:55 AM
    How can you deposit a cheque from your phone?
    All the cheque (haven't spelled it like that in years; yay Commonwealth! ) is is a set of numbers, really. A lot of banks allow you take a picture of check, transmit it and it is credited to your account. Some banks ask for the physical paper to be mailed in within a set number of days; most don't.

A lot of banks have apps that simplify the whole process.
    11-09-12 07:01 AM
    All the cheque (haven't spelled it like that in years; yay Commonwealth! ) is is a set of numbers, really. A lot of banks allow you take a picture of check, transmit it and it is credited to your account. Some banks ask for the physical paper to be mailed in within a set number of days; most don't.

A lot of banks have apps that simplify the whole process.
    Agreed and it works well. Use it every couple of weeks. Couldn't do this on my Bold 9900.
    11-09-12 07:16 AM
    No the negativity is about the thought of RIM using Android as myself and I'm sure many others feel if we want to be using Android we already would be. We choose RIM because it isn't android or iOS.

I think there a lot of other threads here saying the same thing......RIM should use android. No
    I disagree with Kevin who thinks that RIM licensing BBM out is a plus. I KNOW that RIM licensing out BBM would be an extremely poor decision.

So...am i supposed to accuse Kevin of negativity?
    11-09-12 07:58 AM
    I disagree with Kevin who thinks that RIM licensing BBM out is a plus. I KNOW that RIM licensing out BBM would be an extremely poor decision.

Good for it if you feel that way. I didn't say it was a negative idea I said why some of us react negatively to the suggestions. If people only want positive out of everything you need to find fantasy land.
    11-09-12 08:06 AM
    There is only one phone more secure then a BlackBerry, the Sectera, and it does not run Android.
    Why BB10 Will likely fail, and what RIM can do.-sectera_edge_parts.jpg
    But Berries have more style.

And on the topic of what it runs... The security on the device comes from the many layers of software the Gov added to the thing. It's not really the OS, but what was done to it.
    11-09-12 10:10 AM
    I really don't think this should need to be explained.
    Yet even after that long explanation, you still fail to answer my question that is, how those comments you quoted are considered "trolling" on a BlackBerry enthusiast website. This isn't Engadget or Gizmodo or any of the other (supposedly) objective tech sites, where open dialogue like what you describe is encouraged (and I'm all for that in the right place). This website, from its inception, has always been pro-BB. Your claims that those comments are trolling may be valid if this were an anti-BB website. I suggest you read up on Kevin's stickied thread for his explanation on what "trolling" is, or have we reached such a low point that any pro-BB comments are frowned upon on CB?

PS, I've not made any claims that anyone is trolling in this thread.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-09-12 10:22 AM
    Sectera Edge, running Windows CE.
    And your point is? I never said the Sectera ran Android. Neither have any of the other posters who have mentioned it.
    11-09-12 10:36 AM
    Yes. But can this super secure version of Android run all Android apps? I doubt it. So much for compatibility.

Plus Android is free and a very very good free OS. What else would one use.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    The people who get the phone and the situations they'd be in, I doubt they'd be spending a lot of time playing Angry Birds, anyway. It should be able to run anything the hardware will handle. But, if the Army wants to allow your own apps, the choices are likely to be limited to keep the phone running well and from the Army's app store for the phone, not an unsecure Google Play Store. The phones are for use in the field, where lives matter.
    11-09-12 10:46 AM
    There is something so disingenuous about accusing people of trolling and claiming "clairvoyance" because they predict BB10 won't do well, and then PREDICTING it will do well! LOL

I assume you would have the same criticism for statements like these:

BB10s gonna take a big chunk out of the top two in NA and will cotinue to dominate in other markets

Apples going to fail cause they stopped innovating keep pumping out the same product in different size

I did not even read ur entire thread because the post is completely wrong...BlackBerry Will be in the TOP Spot once again

apple is boring, its going to be RIM vs SAMSUNG

But actually, I think the vast majority of posters in this thread have been thoughtful, and undramatic. Few posters have said anything like what you claim, and those that did, provided elaboration as to why. There have been a few posts, like yours, which have consisted solely of bashing those posters, but their has also been a lot of discussion about various topics. I think most of the people in this thread should be proud of it.
    This is a BB fan site. If a similar thread about iOS were posted on an Apple forum it would not be received very well. Don't kid yourself.
    11-09-12 11:23 AM
    Does being a 'blackberry enthusiast' mean you have to be a RIM cheerleader or eternal optimist...even to the detriment of realism?

I don't care how much you love RIM....claiming BB10 will be on top by next year is just plain crazily unrealistic. Inject realism in everything you do and you will NOT be disappointed.

...or you could end up like Karl Rove, still trying to call Ohio for Romney
    Why do you even post on this forum? What makes you think BB users care about the doses of "realism" you like to throw at us. I'm sure WP users would love these types of posts on their forum.
    11-09-12 11:27 AM
    I really don't think this should need to be explained. IF the purpose of the forum it to allow only one viewpoint, then it would be justified to call only the opposite comments "trolling". If that is the Op's objection (ie. that is trolling because the opinion stated does not match mine) then the statements I quoted are not trolling. As long as we match his opinion in all things, there will be no trolling, if however, we present a different opinion to him (or you), we will be trolling. We can only hope that your opinion and his will always match, or calamity will ensue.

IF however this is a forum for discussion, then the fact that the opposite opinion is voiced SHOULD NOT NOT NOT NOT be considered trolling. You can't actually have a meaningful dialogue on any issue of controversy without allowing both sides to opine.

Given that, and assuming this forum is the latter, then the OP must only objected to the strength of the statement, and he should, if wishing to be consistent and fair, come down just as hard on the statements I quoted.
    This whole thread is inflammatory and a complete waste. Predicting that an OS he has never seen or used in person will be a failure out of the gate. Ugh. Most of the BB users on this forum are keeping an open mind and are willing to give BB10 a chance. We're not dismissing it before it is even released.

Like I said before, imagine a similar thread on an iOS, Android, or WP forum, and ask yourself how it would be received? Why are BB users supposed to just take this abuse from outside smartphone users. If you like WP, go to your WP forum. Same goes for iOS and Android.
    Bobcat665 likes this.
    11-09-12 11:33 AM
    Why do you even post on this forum? What makes you think BB users care about the doses of "realism" you like to throw at us. I'm sure WP users would love these types of posts on their forum.
    Among your devices: a 9900 and a Playbook, two of the three devices that make you a BB user. Among his devices: a 9900 and a Playbook, the devices that make him a BB user, just like you. Are we now censoring ideas on this forum, even for BB users?
    11-09-12 11:36 AM

It's your tone and attitude that rubs some people the wrong way. Telling me that I am clueless because *I think* BB10 will sell well. Who do you think you are??? Speak for yourself and try not to hurl underhanded insults at those of us that don't share your opinion.

CrackedBarry (Geepers, what a nice screen name for a BB forum) has never had anything decent to say. Every post is along the same lines as his OP. Give it up already.

And you wonder why I used the word trolling.
    kbz1960 and Bobcat665 like this.
    11-09-12 11:41 AM
    Among your devices: a 9900 and a Playbook, two of the three devices that make you a BB user. Among his devices: a 9900 and a Playbook, the devices that make him a BB user, just like you. Are we now censoring ideas on this forum, even for BB users?
    They seem to love their alternate devices so much more. This is the internet after all. We pretend to own anything we want and be whoever we want to be.
    kbz1960 and Bobcat665 like this.
    11-09-12 11:43 AM
    Anyway, I'm out of this thread. Enjoy folks. I don't believe in censorship. I love discussion and sharing ideas, but this is too much for me.
    11-09-12 11:45 AM
197 ... 34567 ...