Reading the various reviews on the MS Surface Duo, you come across the reason the Windows OS failed: they didn't have enough of the Apps that people wanted. That's why they went with Android on theur latest offering, the Duo.

And that's the main reason that the BB OS failed. Not enough mainstream apps.

And I get it.

Imagine how much extra app work is required to create and then update apps for 4 OSs. I hate the duopoly, but I understand how much easier it is to keep the two OSs up to date.

Do you?

Because I still see posts about bringing back BB10.
    app_Developer likes this.
    10-14-19 06:16 AM
    All they need to do was more marketing.....
    givechanceachance likes this.
    10-14-19 07:16 AM
    all they need to do was more marketing.....
    shocking! ! !
    10-14-19 07:21 AM
    What? BlackBerry is still in business?
    10-14-19 10:44 AM
    yes, this is a big factor, unless somebody comes out with something that allows developers to make apps they couldn't already make.

So when BB10 came along the pitch to developers was basically "you can make [almost] the same app as you make now, but for our users". The catch was that the SDK was rough and incomplete and there weren't very many users to reach (especially if you were already a mainstream app on iOS or Android and already had millions of users). So a lot of people said ok if BB10 is successful, then we'll port our app over.

OTOH, when the iPhone SDK came out, they also had very few users. But what captivated developers was that we could make apps that were very much more interesting than what we could do on the other platforms in 2008. And there was a single app store that worked everywhere regardless of carrier. And there was an easy way to charge for apps if you were doing a game or something like that.

So if someone makes an OS which offers new benefits to developers or new capabilities then you can get developers onboard even while you build the userbase. Apple proved that with their phone that was available in only one country on one single carrier.
    10-14-19 10:54 AM
    Reading the various reviews on the MS Surface Duo, you come across the reason the Windows OS failed: they didn't have enough of the Apps that people wanted. That's why they went with Android on theur latest offering, the Duo.

And that's the main reason that the BB OS failed. Not enough mainstream apps.

And I get it.

Imagine how much extra app work is required to create and then update apps for 4 OSs. I hate the duopoly, but I understand how much easier it is to keep the two OSs up to date.

Do you?

Because I still see posts about bringing back BB10.
    Yes in the end the lack of apps was the final straw I believe...

Windows OS downward trend began w/Microsoft's indecisiveness and continual "change of directions".

BB's started for similar reasons, plus they broke too many promises.

Dev's aren't going to stick around if at every turn they have to do a redesign on their apps, don't get paid enough imo to do that.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    10-14-19 12:02 PM
    As another dev mentioned a few years ago, when BB had a developer conference in 2012 (keep in mind that the phones were supposed to be released in early 2012 originally), the developers showed up to be wowed by this amazing new platform, development environment, and APIs, and instead, BB was asking them what features they wanted to see - a question they needed to have been asking LONG before that point. It was immediately clear that the developer tools were very immature and limited, plus there were 4 or 5 different options, which just seemed like chaos. Lots of developers went home from that conference and never thought about BB again. I suspect that some of the major app developers that were advertised but never actually released also walked away for the same reason.

Mike never wanted outside developers making apps for HIS platform and BB was never friendly towards 3rd party development. Clearly some people worked very hard to try to change that, but by the time they got any traction, it was far too late.
    Laura Knotek and mrsimon like this.
    10-14-19 01:27 PM
    I know right! You should have seen all those customers returning their Z10's for iPhones because BlackBerry didn't spend enough on marketing! 😂

6 years later and I still laugh at that fallacy when I hear it from fanboys. If your product doesn't meet your customers' needs then your customers go elsewhere.
    10-14-19 03:19 PM
    Once they ironed out the software maturity issue with upgrades to the OS, the iphone was a joke compared to the z10 ...okay it was an ipod with a cellular radio attached. Apple had a number of years before the z10 (many years with ipod) to iron out its own issues.
    10-14-19 04:08 PM
    It ain't a failure if there are millions still using bb10.
    10-14-19 04:27 PM
    It ain't a failure if there are millions still using bb10.
    There aren't. I'd be shocked if it was 100,000.
    10-14-19 05:24 PM
    Once they ironed out the software maturity issue with upgrades to the OS, the iphone was a joke compared to the z10 ...okay it was an ipod with a cellular radio attached. Apple had a number of years before the z10 (many years with ipod) to iron out its own issues.
    You can’t be serious.
    10-14-19 05:47 PM
    There aren't. I'd be shocked if it was 100,000.
    I'll get the paddles!
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    10-14-19 05:57 PM
    the point is, for those that ask why can't BB10 be resuscitated, think about who and how and how much to develop thousands of apps for an OS that only us die-hards want to see ever again.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    10-14-19 11:29 PM
    My favourite - remember when someone tried to start a campaign to send food parcels to BB software engineers.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    10-15-19 02:07 AM
    the point is, for those that ask why can't BB10 be resuscitated, think about who and how and how much to develop thousands of apps for an OS that only us die-hards want to see ever again.
    And that they'd have to be native apps if that were to ever pass. No Android ports.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-15-19 08:38 AM
    And that they'd have to be native apps if that were to ever pass. No Android ports.
    ^^^THIS!

Unless a new platform has at least one, and preferably several "killer apps" that will motivate people to CHANGE platforms, it will never establish a foothold. The iPhone had iTunes, video and the World Wide Web. Android offered a much greater variety of hardware choices and apps.

At launch, BB10 had the Hub, Peek and Flow, MS Exchange syncing with tasks and notes, and USB file and media sync with BlackBerry Link. That wasn't nearly enough to draw in consumers, even if it was exactly what I valued most.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    skinnymike1 and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-15-19 10:04 AM
    With windows came problems: x86-64 applications couldn't run on windows certified embedded (CE), now called windows embedded (WE). Still can't run the same thing on standard x86-64 comparable versions consumers use.

That's why microsoft went with android. Why re-write everything for a corporate embedded (arm-based) platform again? Makes zero sense.

From my BlackBerry Q5 on Freedom Mobile 3G HSPA+
    10-15-19 04:43 PM
    ....ah the old thousands of apps re-write anxiety.....all you need is a port or alternative for candy-crush, clash of titans, faceplant, insta-porridge, and net-flax and maybe a couple of others. The rest will follow or not. But an upgraded AOSP would do wonders too, cause you could sandbox those snoopy apps away from bb10 protected spaces. But hey since people need two boots to go out in inclement weather....a two-boot BlackBerry would be awesome!
    10-15-19 08:30 PM
    BB hardware features were also crap.

While iPhones and Androids not only had apps, but they focused on Lifestyle features and hardware that goes with them such as:

- Better Cameras
    - Better Audio
    - Better Displays (higher resolutions,better calibration etc...)
    - Faster Internal Storage
    - Better SoCs with incredibly powerful GPUs in them
    - Gaming services
    - Better Social Media integration
    - Financial and Health services integration
    - and an overall Ecosystem
    mrsimon likes this.
    10-19-19 01:16 AM
    BB hardware features were also crap.

While iPhones and Androids not only had apps, but they focused on Lifestyle features and hardware that goes with them such as:

- Better Cameras
    - Better Audio
    - Better Displays (higher resolutions,better calibration etc...)
    - Faster Internal Storage
    - Better SoCs with incredibly powerful GPUs in them
    - Gaming services
    - Better Social Media integration
    - Financial and Health services integration
    - and an overall Ecosystem
    Yeah, OK, but apart from all that, what did Android or iOS ever really do for us?
    app_Developer, Tsepz_GP and JeepBB like this.
    10-19-19 02:09 AM
    Yeah, OK, but apart from all that, what did Android or iOS ever really do for us?
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    10-19-19 02:49 AM
    Where have you been these past 10 years? LOL
    TgeekB likes this.
    10-19-19 07:17 AM
    Contrary, I do think iphone OS2 was the “first maturity” of smartphone back then, that lies a foundation of what smartphone today. Other than being able to put full internet and email on a phone, iphone also built a bridge for developers to reach their users easily. Though most of the apps was just html based, this magic came once apple released their sdk resulting on the release of very useful apps that had ever been in a smartphone.

When the world tried to develop more and more integrated things connected and accessible from smartphone, there blackberry still developing on how to compose an email 2 steps faster than any competitors. We know where the rest of the world taking a side now.
    Tsepz_GP and TgeekB like this.
    10-19-19 07:26 AM
    Where have you been these past 10 years? LOL
    I think he may have been joking. I hope he was joking and not serious.
    Tsepz_GP and chain13 like this.
    10-19-19 07:34 AM
47 12