I am currently on my 3rd blackberry, all of which i keep holstered to mask them from cosmetic damage; why though, does the blackberry have to stick out of the top of it? the cameras are left exposed on some models and if that gets scratched then any pictures are ruined.

Any ideas why they aren't bigger? (other than the obvious - so you can pull the phone out)
    02-13-10 06:03 AM
    Size matters you know!
    02-13-10 06:22 AM
    On most models there is also the Mute button on top. Having the holster expose the upper part of the BlackBerry allows for quick silencing it in case one gets a call during an important meeting et cetera not to disturb others. The other reason is, like you mentioned, that it allows one to pull out the BlackBerry in a quick manner (and without looking at the holster). To me this is a very good design, but I see your point of having the camera exposed could be a bad thing.
    02-13-10 06:24 AM
    Also easy access to the volume buttons and the headphone jack. If the camera is in the center on the back, it should not be exposed.
    02-13-10 08:05 AM
    Good that you mentioned the headphone jack as I completely forgot about it. However, with my Storm2 holstered there is barely any room to access the volume keys.

So here you have at least three reasons why it was designed like that:
    1) Easy to pull out the BlackBerry
    2) Access the Mute button on top
    3) Allow for a headset to be plugged in
    02-13-10 08:09 AM
    what holster are you using?
    I use a seidio case with their holster and it clips over the top....secure.
    the newer versions even have a lock on them.
    Older berries had low holsters.
    02-13-10 08:12 AM
    with my 8900 and now my 9700, I use either a Seidio or Incipio hard case. With the added thickness, I have found that the OEM 9000 holster works well for me. Easy to get in and out, easy access to the mute button.
    02-13-10 11:36 AM
    In my experience, if you get your holster from the service provider where you purchased the device (ie...VZW), the holster/case/clip is usually an aftermarket brand that they provide cheap and not guaranteed to fit your device well (and usually doesn't).

I personally pass on accessories in the store and order mine online. For holsters I make it a point to order a Case/Protector and Clip from Seido.
    02-13-10 11:56 AM
    My original Tour case is perfect everything is covered except for the two top buttons, volume and headphone jack. The only pisser is the charger port is covered and I usually put the phone in upsidedown when charging at home as I have a little one who likes to snatch my phone.. So holstered at all times..
    02-13-10 01:29 PM
    some very good points raised in this thread, thanks!

Reason i brought it up was that i have a blackberry storm (9500) and the holster is too narrow for the (somewhat protruding) headphones, and too short to cover the camera.

Just a bit confused with some of the comments as they dont apply for my holster, and its an official blackberry one so that confused me more!
    02-13-10 03:20 PM
    Yep, I agree...that's exactly what it is, plus enabling easier access to pull the phone out and, it leaves the LED exposed so you can easily see if there's a missed message/call or if your bluetooth is running, without having to pull the phone out of the holster.

That being said though, I'm confused about how the camera lens might be damaged. All I can think of is, the OP's putting his/her phone in backwards. If the camera lens is pointed towards your body when you insert the phone in the holster, the lens is very well protected.

My holster, which I originally purchased for my Storm 1, is the OEM Blackberry leather holster with the magnetic clasp.

On most models there is also the Mute button on top. Having the holster expose the upper part of the BlackBerry allows for quick silencing it in case one gets a call during an important meeting et cetera not to disturb others. The other reason is, like you mentioned, that it allows one to pull out the BlackBerry in a quick manner (and without looking at the holster). To me this is a very good design, but I see your point of having the camera exposed could be a bad thing.
    02-13-10 03:25 PM
    If you have an appropriate "flap top" holster, this won't happen. The lame sleeve that comes with a Storm or other consumer based BBs, are the suck. Replace them with an appropriate OEM flap top holster and you won't have this issue. Another option is to also stick the phone in upside down into the holster. Sure, you lose the ability to hit the top buttons, but the camera lens is proper protected... plus for S1 owners, if you do it this way, you greatly diminish the chance of the holster grabbing the lame bottom buttons below the screen and snagging the edges/pulling them off.
    02-13-10 03:50 PM
    I just bought a Outter box for mine.
    The holster doesn't come all the way up the side, but there is no way the blackberry can get scratched in that case.
    02-13-10 04:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD