How come smartphone screens are not 9H hardness? We put temper glass 9H screen protectors on anyway. Why not make a "tough" phone with this already installed on phone $600 and higher?
    09-24-18 09:57 AM
    Because not everyone buys into the gimmick of '9H' being a relevant measurement?
    09-24-18 10:22 AM
    Because that's one type of measurement....

What's good for scratch resistant isn't good for drop resistant... so they balance the features to best suite real life.

I've seen many reviewers very impressed with the new iPhone's glass. No one is sure what it is, some think maybe is Corning Gorilla Glass 6. Going forward new flagships that use this might be much tougher than in years past. But I'd still rather use a $15 screen protector and replace it once a year than have something happen...
    09-24-18 10:26 AM
    Yeah, I'm waiting on my screen protector now. Should be here tomorrow.
    09-24-18 10:39 AM
    I just got my iPhone Xs MAX and I'm still going to use a screen protector...LOL
    09-24-18 10:40 AM
    As others have mentioned, the glass for a phone screen has to be balanced between scratch resistant (very hard but very brittle) and shatter resistant (softer and more flexible). A screen protector is designed to be sacrificial, and they break all the time because they're harder, but that's their job.

For the last 10 years, the trend has been an ever-larger screen with ever-smaller bezels, which is great because that gives you more screen without significantly increasing the overall size of the device - BUT, smaller bezels means it's more likely for a drop to result in a glass impact, and larger overall glass means more leverage compared to a smaller screen, so a lighter impact can do more damage. Tens or hundreds of millions in research and testing is done annually to optimize this glass as much as possible for all likely situations, and it's still a difficult balance without a simple solution.

The bigger problem is that people don't treat their phones as if they were $800+ devices made out of very thin glass - and they really should.
    09-24-18 01:45 PM
    oh you should. Anyone spending that kind of money on a smartphone should obviously invest the extra $20 on a screen protector and case.

Because, y’know, Apple is charging ONLY $599 for a broken rear glass panel on the Xs MAX.

eXSsive indeed !
    09-26-18 03:29 PM
    Just an FYI... Apple has a full range of screen protectors that they will apply professionally in-store. My family has 5 iPhones -- all have various versions, all applied perfectly and hold up well.
    09-26-18 03:36 PM
    Just an FYI... Apple has a full range of screen protectors that they will apply professionally in-store. My family has 5 iPhones -- all have various versions, all applied perfectly and hold up well.
    Most carries will do it too... does cost more for a carrier screen protector, but the anxiety of getting it right with out bubbles is worth it.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-26-18 03:47 PM