It doesn't take more than kbytes to upload position, passwords, login, wi-fi network lists, contacts, phone call lists, and text.
    What app is sending those kytes, I think we all agree that it's an Android app that does that and not the ART directly. So if you are worried about your personal information, then scrutinize the apps that you download and/or use. At the end of the day, a secure house can still be robbed if you let the robbers in through the front door.
    01-23-16 05:02 AM
    What app is sending those kytes, I think we all agree that it's an Android app that does that and not the ART directly. So if you are worried about your personal information, then scrutinize the apps that you download and/or use. At the end of the day, a secure house can still be robbed if you let the robbers in through the front door.
    Yes. I know. That's the reason I check periodically what the phone does. That's why I don't have any android apps. Those (7digital and Kobo) were bbworld android ports that came pre-installed.
    Where the rest of the data is coming from is still a mystery, unless it's android runtime.
    01-23-16 05:53 AM
    http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/128943

Check that app out.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-16 07:27 AM
    If you're that paranoid, delete the apps and go on with your life.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-16 08:22 AM

Posted via CB10
    this is what they were saying before too and this is what is happening...
    The EFF claims that Google spies on school kids
    01-23-16 09:02 AM
    That article has nothing to do with the OP's instance. The article is talking of Google Play Services, which the OP hasn't installed and which the Android runtime on BB10 has no access to. Unless Google has magically found a way on to the OP's phone, Google is not getting any data from him through ported apps from BlackBerry World.

I'm certainly no fan of Google's data collection, but in this case it's not even a factor.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-16 09:25 AM
    It doesn't take more than kbytes to upload position, passwords, login, wi-fi network lists, contacts, phone call lists, and text.
    In some instances it does.
    For those that are so concerned over a few KB of info wireshark your network and do packet analysis. Or check the app out that I posted. It will tell you what servers and ip's your phone is hitting.

The paranoia is getting ridiculous now over a few KB of data.

Posted via CB10
    rthonpm likes this.
    01-23-16 12:06 PM
    That article has nothing to do with the OP's instance. The article is talking of Google Play Services, which the OP hasn't installed and which the Android runtime on BB10 has no access to. Unless Google has magically found a way on to the OP's phone, Google is not getting any data from him through ported apps from BlackBerry World.

I'm certainly no fan of Google's data collection, but in this case it's not even a factor.

Posted via CB10
    to me it has everything to do with it! it's about a corporation ways of doing things regardless of the marketing name of the product, be it google services or any of their other software.
    "Google is not getting any data from him through ported apps from BlackBerry World. " how do you know? I believed this was the object of this thread, to find if it is doing it or not. If it is doing it with others, the way the article was pointing it, it may be doing it with Android runtime as well?
    01-23-16 12:23 PM
    to me it has everything to do with it! it's about a corporation ways of doing things regardless of the marketing name of the product, be it google services or any of their other software.
    "Google is not getting any data from him through ported apps from BlackBerry World. " how do you know? I believed this was the object of this thread, to find if it is doing it or not. If it is doing it with others, the way the article was pointing it, it may be doing it with Android runtime as well?
    There are no Google server connections in any of the ported apps since that would be in violation of the OHA. Neither BlackBerry or the developers of the applications would be willing to risk a lawsuit over something like this, especially with the resources of Google.

As was previously, and sensibly, suggested the OP needs to just Wireshark the packets and alleviate themselves of the FUD.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-16 01:41 PM
    There are no Google server connections in any of the ported apps since that would be in violation of the OHA. Neither BlackBerry or the developers of the applications would be willing to risk a lawsuit over something like this, especially with the resources of Google. This is also why BlackBerry uses the open source fork of Android, just as Amazon and Cyanogen do: the Android core has no Google hooks in it. GPS are an overlay on the OS as a value add for OHA members.

As was previously, and sensibly, suggested the OP needs to just Wireshark the packets and alleviate themselves of the FUD.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    01-23-16 01:43 PM
    That's a little bit of a loaded term... Let's keep some semblance of intellectual honesty.

Posted via CB10
    LOL. Judgemental much?

Posted via CB10
    01-23-16 03:03 PM
    No: just not making my point as clear online as I could in my head. (:

Posted via CB10
    01-23-16 04:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    I cannot delete the android runtime.
    Last edited by sorinv; 01-23-16 at 05:38 PM.
    01-23-16 05:27 PM
    Byex:

Risking of being accused of prejudice, the author of that app has a name that does not inspire enough confidence to give the app access to all of my phone's connections.
    That is one of the major flaws of the app system, even on BB10. There is no way a user can do a thorough security check on the millions of app shops whose apps we are increasingly forced to use.
    01-23-16 05:32 PM

Posted via CB10
    How do you know that?

There is obviously an agreement between Google and BlackBerry, at least since John Chen joined. Now we know that as fact.

It is after he joined that the android runtime showed up on BB10 phones.
    I know some here claim that it was present since the release of z10 in February 2013, but I have not seen it showing up in the app manager at that time.

Arguing that the PlayBook had an android runtime does not prove much about BB10.

As I have shown in my screen shots, it is the android runtime that uploads more data than the sum of the data uploaded by Kobo and 7digital.

That was the gist of my question. It was about the android runtime, which I would like to remove but cannot, not about 7digital or Kobo...
    01-23-16 05:54 PM
    At this point I think your only hope is to abandon all technology.

Posted via CB10
    byex likes this.
    01-24-16 12:16 PM
    It is after he joined that the android runtime showed up on BB10 phones.
    I know some here claim that it was present since the release of z10 in February 2013, but I have not seen it showing up in the app manager at that time.
    It was absolutely, positively on BB10 at launch. It supported Gingerbread (2.3). Many apps in BBW were Android ports at launch. You may recall that Skype was available in April 2013, and it is an Android port as we all know.

With 10.2, it was updated to Jellybean 4.2.2.

With 10.3, it was updated to Jellybean 4.3.
    rthonpm likes this.
    01-24-16 12:20 PM
    I believe you.
    01-24-16 06:33 PM
    At this point I think your only hope is to abandon all technology.

Posted via CB10
    It's not that bad yet and there is time to fix it.
    The situation is not hopeless from the technical point of view if the political will exists to fix it.

After all, when governments have a vested interest, they start to go after those (like Apple and Google) who avoid paying taxes in the countries where they sell ads or products. Data mining can be stopped in a similar manner.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/business-35381130

For example, now we know how much money Google makes from selling ads to websurfers in each country. That revenue should be shared with the user on the back of whose data the money is made.
    Once users (especially the ones who can't afford to pay for an app) realize how much their data is worth, they'll wake up to see how much they have been robbed and duped.

Everybody understands money.
    01-24-16 06:45 PM
    Once users (especially the ones who can't afford to pay for an app) realize how much their data is worth, they'll wake up to see how much they have been robbed and duped.

Everybody understands money.
    But all these same people own Google stock (directly or as part of a mutual fund) and demand a great return on their investment in order to retire comfortably.
    01-24-16 07:01 PM
    But all these same people own Google stock (directly or as part of a mutual fund) and demand a great return on their investment in order to retire comfortably.
    Paying taxes and a fraction of revenue made from users' data to the users themselves, will not run Google bankrupt, just like paying royalties to authors of books and music hasn't bankrupt Apple or the music industry.

The two are not exclusive.

There is already talk in Australia and France of reviewing Google's (unpaid) taxes in those countries following Britain's example.
    Even the 130M pounds that Google agreed to pay for 10 years of unpaid taxes in UK is less (when divided per employee and per capita) than the taxes their UK employees pay annually. A drop in the bucket of what they should actually pay. They made sales of 4.9B pounds last year in the UK alone.
    If you consider UK's population of less than 70M, they made more than 100 pounds per user per year and people here complain about 1 dollar monthly or yearly fees...

This is the reason why Google does not want user fees. It is much more profitable for them to take your data in exchange of free services.
    Very few people will pay them 100 dollars per year for their services.

But I guess we now digress from the original post...
    Last edited by sorinv; 01-24-16 at 08:00 PM.
    01-24-16 07:46 PM
    Paying taxes and a fraction of revenue made from users' data to the users themselves, will not run Google bankrupt, just like paying royalty fees to authors of books and music hasn't bankrupt Apple or the music industry...
    The two are not exclusive.
    But we already have quid pro quo, don't we?

Google collects aggregate data from its users (and earns revenues from that), and users get use of a slew of apps and services that make their lives better. I love Gmail, Google Now, Chrome, GMaps, Google Drive, etc, etc.

I can CHOOSE to participate in the exchange, or choose not to.

It's like accepting commercials on television so I can watch The Walking Dead.
    01-24-16 07:58 PM

Google collects aggregate data from its users (and earns revenues from that), and users get use of a slew of apps and services that make their lives better. I love Gmail, Google Now, Chrome, GMaps, Google Drive, etc, etc.

Well, you already paid for your TV cable subscription. Besides, TV used to (notice past tense) not data collect your watching habbits.

For movies (not TV series), you have the choice to go to the theatre and not have that recorded or see adds during the movie as long as you pay cash.

The problem is that you cannot choose not to use the Internet if you want to live in the western world today. Most services have moved almost entirely on line and will do so exclusively in the future.
    You can't escape Google and data mining.
    That is the part that is not acceptable and legislation should prevent it.
    The internet is now basic infrastructure like healthcare, energy and water.
    Using that service should not automatically come at the price of privacy and data collection.
    danifulger likes this.
    01-24-16 08:11 PM

This. You are getting free services in return.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-16 08:13 PM
    This. You are getting free services in return.

Posted via CB10
    Obviously, according to Google, at your loss and google's gain and you as a user have no option of negotiating the price of your data or to pay in cash for the service rather than with your data.
    Besides, everyone's data has a different price. Some produce more useful data content than others...
    danifulger likes this.
    01-25-16 05:50 AM
50 12