And no, I don't own anything Android because based on all the experience I've had and delienated above, for me, the platform sucks.
    So does all your posts.
    01-17-11 02:54 PM
    Had I misrepresented at any point and stated that I had ever owned an Android device I would tend to agree. However, I have always said that I do not own an Android powered device. Those individuals whose expertise I do trust and whom I have hired, i.e., my technical leads, conducted a study. My team in fact did side by side comparisons as part of that research - note, research - for a formal presentation.

My observations of the research my team conducted as a possibility of integrating Android devices to a very controlled environment outside the firewall assisted me in making an *informed empirical decision.*

And....plenty of friends and family members whose devices are much too much of a relationship for my taste.
    The difference here and the point JD was making and me also is that unless you have direct personal experience with a device and not 1st,2nd and 3rd party advice from others no matter who they are, Don't make a direct comment about the negative way you feel. That is the only thing I was saying.
    01-17-11 02:54 PM
    A country is not an item that you can touch, see, manipulate, and form decisions based on empirical evidence.

Had I never touched an Android device, had I not had access to a presentation, had I not had friends and family whose experiences I could draw upon to base my decision as to whether I find that the platform sucks, then yah....it would have been ignorant.

By the way, Argentina and Iceland are lovely.

And no, I don't own anything Android because based on all the experience I've had and delienated above, for me, the platform sucks.
    I wouldn't say your opinions on Android are not useful. I think they are because you've seen more of it than I have. I just think that those that have used Androids (the longer the better and the more I'd heed their advice and value their input) are *more qualified. I don't mind reading everyone's opinions though, so I'm not dissing you at all. I like your input.

Can whoever posted that stupid image delete it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by chrisy520; 01-17-11 at 03:00 PM.
    01-17-11 02:56 PM
    "But simply, based on the observation of what others have to do...."

This statement screams ignorance.

Let's say you observe someone shooting a firearm....do you then know whether it's good or not? Do you then know how to operate it efficiently?

Lets be more practical....let's say you observe a doctor treating a patient....do you know whether the doctor is doing a good job or not? Do you then know how to treat a patient?

Let's be even more practical.....lets say you observe someone driving a car with a manual gear box...do you know whether or not the car is good? Do you then know how to operate it efficiently?

The point is...

Doing something > observing something

Experiencing something for yourself > reading about someone elses experience.

You also said "to communicate at half the efficiency of a BB"

How exactly are you measuring efficiency? Comparing their messaging abilities to that of your own? You know kid that won some award for being the fastest texter in the world? Compared to him your efficiency blows....and if memory serves he was using a feature phone...

If a BB does what "you want" how "you want it done" then that's fantastic and I'm actually happy for you...and I'm being sincere. But does that in anyway make BB a better phone than any other phone. Of course not.

You do realise that research extrapolates conclusions based on specific observations of empirical evidence? If I see someone having to go to extremes to do something that I do easily, why would I try to do things the way he does them?

Why does it follow that the way in which you manage your day is the way I would manage it?

I *used an Android device briefly* on two different instances and I did not like it. Must I like it? People whom I have hired and whose opinions I obviously respect conducted research as have I and the conclusions do not make me want to run and get an Android.

Why.....why in the name of whatever deity you decide to follow, must I fall in love with a platform that does not behave the way I wish for it to behave? Must I be compelled to love Android? No....I hated it in all the exposures I've had to it. I don't like GMail, I don't like the size of the devices, I don't like the choppiness of the system....it really made me want to get an iPhone. Truly, after using those devices I wished I'd had my 3GS instead because it was so much more fluid in comparison.

I'm not concerned about you labeling me ignorant. Your don't know me.
    01-17-11 03:01 PM
    At this point I DO think this thread is getting way too out of hand with all of the verbage to try and explain away points for Androis vs BB vs iphone 4 or 5.

It is what it is and what people like are purely personal and their own preference and are entitled to make the own purchases of a device they have researched enough to make THEIR informed decision. Until someone offers to pay for my upgrade device having decided to leave BB I will then buy whatever they want me to but I don't think that is going to happen....
    01-17-11 03:03 PM
    I want to see a civil debate, or I'll send you home with a note for your parents.
    01-17-11 03:03 PM
    Back OT. when BlackBerry phones come with 1ghz processors, BlackBerry users will be happy with that too. The thread seems like it was created to make people fight. Lol. It's kind of like me bragging that I only use 400MB of data a month because my BlackBerry browser cannot load full web pages and therefore I use less data. That's not a win for me.

howarmat likes this.
    01-17-11 03:05 PM
    I wouldn't say your opinions on Android are not useful. I think they are because you've seen more of it than I have. I just think that those that have used Androids (the longer the better and the more I'd heed their advice and value their input) are *more qualified. I don't mind reading everyone's opinions though, so I'm not dissing you at all. I like your input.

Can whoever posted that stupid image delete it?

And that's the beauty of personal decisions. What is appropriate for one is not necessarily appropriate for another. I speak of my *short use* of the device, observations from people around me, and research that people whom I respect have conducted.
    You may find the platform useful and therefore will be happy with it. That would be awesome.
    01-17-11 03:06 PM
    I agree there. I used my parents iPhone a few times I I knew pretty quickly that's it's *not the platform for me. I came up with a list of things I didn't like about it in 10 minutes. It's good to be able to filter out what works for you and what doesn't. If you know what you want in a phone, it's easier to filter.

01-17-11 03:08 PM
    So let's say I want to try an Android to see what the platform is like, which one should I try? Do I have to choose a high end one? Or can I just try a budget one? Which one out of the many many android phones do you have to try to be allowed to have an opinion?

To be honest I feel like smashing one right now lol

01-17-11 03:16 PM
    I was going to answer that. But I think it's sarcastic. Right?

01-17-11 03:18 PM
    Believe me, I am looking forward to moving on. But the phone I'm getting isn't released until April or so. Until then I like reading the news and debates here. I'm still helping BlackBerry users and now I'm into reading the Android forums here.

But it's obvious many BlackBerry users here are too defensive about RIM and just like to call anyone who wants to try any phone other than a BlackBerry a troll. I think I've been called a troll three times so far. Go figure. I've never attacked any user personally on here. I'm quietly leaving CrackBerry because of this, slowly. When I get my Bionic I won't be back (unless I hate it and return for the Storm 3).

I just wish folks wouldn't resort to name calling, whether personally or in general. It's depressing.

Sorry you've been called a Troll

What is unfortunate is that you are moving to the platform that those that ARE trolls on this forum are using, so bringing up android to some of the users on this site automatically makes them think trolling is about to happen, because unfortunately I can think of 4 people off the top of my head that when I see their name I can be sure that the post will be directly insulting either blackberry or blackberry users as a group, every time.

it is those individuals who have made the forum more hostile, and then it is compounded because we have a lot of heavy posters who have also made the switch and are quick to point out what their phone can do that the Blackberry one can't.

the direct comparison for experience between the 2 requires users that have used both, but in reality, if your last phone was a Tour, Storm 1, or 8330, your contribution to the general world of Blackberry comparison is invalid, it would be like me comparing ALL android devices to Cupcake,
    01-17-11 03:20 PM
    I was going to answer that. But I think it's sarcastic. Right?

Lol, yes

Whatever happend to first instincts? I always trust it.

Whenever there's a doubt, there is no doubt

01-17-11 03:21 PM
    For some reason I'm not good at detecting sarcasm. I usually think people are being sincere. I have too much faith in people! Ha.

CrackBerry is honing my skills though. See, I caught on.

01-17-11 03:22 PM
    My sister in law's Droid and my nephew's Captivate were the ones I tried here. Back on holiday I used my nephew's and cousin's device but I don't remember what they had.
    One of my team members has an Aria, he also has an iPhone 4. Can't remember the others.
    01-17-11 03:22 PM
    For some reason I'm not good at detecting sarcasm. I usually think people are being sincere. I have too much faith in people! Ha.

CrackBerry is honing my skills though. See, I caught on.

Lol, you wouldn't last 5 minutes in Northern Ireland, I had to learn and fast

01-17-11 03:35 PM
    Run a search for "Android SMS bug"...that was reason enough for me to ditch my android device.

6 months they've known..
    01-17-11 03:42 PM

What is unfortunate is that you are moving to the platform that those that ARE trolls on this forum are using, so bringing up android to some of the users on this site automatically makes them think trolling is about to happen, because unfortunately I can think of 4 people off the top of my head that when I see their name I can be sure that the post will be directly insulting either blackberry or blackberry users as a group, every time.
    4 people out of 2.7 Million registered members on an open forum? That's it? How many times do I have to tell you, this is the internet and anything goes. Deal with it...
    01-17-11 03:45 PM
    Search for "BBM Wrong Contact". Same bug happened to BlackBerry Messenger. All phones are buggy.

01-17-11 03:47 PM
    Search for "BBM Wrong Contact". Same bug happened to BlackBerry Messenger. All phones are buggy.

Sorry, I just googled that and only one mention comes up in a forum. I never heard of that before.

01-17-11 03:55 PM
    I've been saying all along that BB fans tend to be much more ignorant in regards to other platforms and this more than proves it.

The BB fans here = most haven't used the platforms (Android) they're bashing
    Android fans here = were former BB users (most of the time for a long time) and actually use facts to back up their arguments

Hence, BB fans like the one above = extremely ignorant

If there was such thing as a factcheck.org equivalent that would objectively survey the arguments from BB fans and Android fans on this forum, it would have to correct almost every BB fan's arguments and very little of the Android fans.

But people can choose to be ignorant. Freedom rocks.
    I guess I spoke too soon when I said this thread had remained relatively civil.

I've seen as many - if not more - equally ignorant statements coming from the Fandroids, usually using their own opinion of a specific device as a factual argument to write off an entire brand. They then attempt to give themselves some credibility on the basis of having previously owned said brand. Every platform has a sub-set of uber-faithful that is pretty ignorant of any benefits of every other platform; BB users are far from having a monopoly on that claim, or even being a majority.
    01-17-11 04:03 PM
    BTW, you can pretty much customize it to the point where it is almost exactly like your BB.
    That's the point. I don't know about the newest droids but the droids and iphones use have trouble with docs. Exel. Emails. The iphone, iphone2g, and iphone3g use to have to go to a website to retrive their mms messages and just couldn't send them. You didn't use to beable to use custom ringtones to the contact list. Most of the things that us BB abusers use our devices for you have to custom the other platforms to do it. With BB rigjt out the box it works.
    Why is that it hurt yalls feelings so much when we say we don't like, want, agree, or trust those other platforms. Iv only been to another platform forum for in search of knowledge. I've never post a disagreement about them. Why? Glad you asked. I have the device I want. I assume everybody else does. Even though I know this isn't true. I'm not going to come to your house and argue w/ you that your coffee table is ugle and useless. Rim has been doing this for awhile now. They know how to do what they do. They've been found to be rock solid. The droid might prove to get there. I doubt the ios will ever get tbere. There is nothing wrong with BB devices and they are better for us. I'm sorry this chaps your booty. You can't convert everyone. Some of us will stay "lost"

01-17-11 04:09 PM
    Hence, BB fans like the one above = extremely ignorant

What you don't know about me or the work I do or the research I see or the decisions I make could fill as many pages as a Tolstoy novel.

Before you call someone ignorant you should take a look in a mirror. You'll see one example there.
    01-17-11 04:13 PM
    Run a search for "Android SMS bug"...that was reason enough for me to ditch my android device.

6 months they've known..
    Yeah, and it's not like BB ever had that problem. OS 5.0.0.419 for example.

Easy fix on an Android, just use any number of the free SMS clients available. I never experienced the issue btw.
    01-17-11 04:24 PM
    OK, Figure,....for me, the lack of keyboard sucks.
    It's always nice when people show how useless their post is in the first sentence.

There are Android phones in various form-factors with various keyboard types.

Droid 2, Epic, Droid Pro, etc.

I know having so many choices CAN be overwhelming to some, but these blanket statements about form factor are silly...

Android and iOS and even WP7 do PIM as well as Blackberry these days. It's not 2004 anymore.
    Last edited by N8ter; 01-17-11 at 04:29 PM.
    01-17-11 04:26 PM
284 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD