And by the time the S3 comes out, Androids will probably have 4.5GHz quad-core processors. HTC are really innovating and eating RIM's lunch. Heck, I want a HTC, but until they bring support for BlackBerry Presenter, it's a no-go for me. In my family, to sell a Christmas present you've had for less than 3 years, is a major major insult to every single member of the family, not just the people who got you that gift. I got it less than a month ago. The only devices supporting the Presenter are the BlackBerry smartphones.

I'm locked into BB, but I can tell you, Android seems to run 100x faster than my BB does (heck, I've seen Wildfires and Smarts that run faster when 100 apps are open simultaneously compared to 4 apps open on my BB, and with lesser battery drain on OEM batteries). And the lack of OS6 on my 8520. I daresay there's 10x the fragmentation on the BlackBerry platform as there is on Android. At least all the devices there (minus one or 2 of the OLDEST devices) are running FroYo (minus Samsung who are just trying to make it so the only way to get the newest OS is to shell out in excess of �700 on a new device, good job I'll never touch their devices as I cannot work them to save my life). I stated in another thread that my stepbro's desire does everything the BlackBerry is claimed to be the king of... except much better... The only thing that BB has going for it over Android (but against iOS it's toast), is security.
    I hope you do realise the 8520 is a 2G only budget blackberry, �130 or less on payg

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-11 01:29 AM
    You do not have to use Google with Android. So privacy should not be an issue then.
    you WHAT?!? have you set up an android device lately? you have to have a gmail account on the device to access the marketplace, you accept multiple agreements allowing google access to your device to monitor it. I'm not sure which versions you're dealing with, but every single android based phone I've sold and had to set up REQUIRES you to have a gmail/google account set up in order to access their app catalog. so, unless you intend to use the device with no carrier supported way to get third party apps, you DO have to use google to use android devices.

Buying a car is TOTALLY different than buying a smartphone. There is no learning curve with a car (assuming you know how to drive multiple types of transmission). You look at the features, see if it has what you want, test drive it and then make your decision. With a smartphone, you can do your research, see if it has the features you want, and then you HAVE to buy it to test drive it. But you have 30 days to return it and get your money back.
    no, no not really, a smartphone you can do your research to see if it has the features you like, and if security is one of those features you like, you can stop researching and you don't need to buy the device to test drive it, you can see many reports of security issues and stop looking at it. In addition, I'm not sure if you're in an area where there aren't many corporate stores, but, I know for sure all of the stores in my area that're corporate owned are required to have functional demos on display so that prospective buyers can come in, get hands on time with the device, and decide if it's right for them. No it isn't the same as having it be your all day every day device, however, you can get basic familiarity that way.

As far as the 30 days to return it and get your money back....assuming this was before vz dropped down to 14 days, you're right, but, why should I pay a $35 restocking fee just to realize that my initial perception of the device was right and that I don't like it? Verizon pushes VERY hard to have reps make sure they sell the right device for the person the first time, it's one of the reasons that restock fees are there and the exchange period is dropped down to what it is now, they expect that if your sales rep is doing their job right, they'll have qualified you for the correct device and set you up with that instead of selling you what you walked in the door saying you wanted. They learned that lesson from the Storm 1, just because it's cool and marketing says you want it doesn't mean it's the right phone for you, THINK! USE YOUR BRAIN! know what you actually need from a phone and go for a device that fills that need instead of buying what your best friend said you should get just because you trust them and they know cool tricks with their phone.

So let's say you research warfare tactics for 5 years. 5 years of your life you devote to learning types of warfare, tactics, strategy, protocol...and so on....

At the end of that five years are you now qualified to lead military operations in the middle east theatre?
    depends at what level you're talking about, I'm sure 5 solid years of learning warfare, tactics, strategies, protocols and so on is more than what most low level officers in the military have spent on that, and they are qualified to lead military operations in the middle east theatre or anywhere else they're instructed to go. My last LT while I was in the army was a 4 year college graduate and then he went to OCS, so, he had a college degree in (insert non-military field, I think his was english) and then went to Officer Candidate School, which is a 12 week school at the end of which you're given the rank of 2nd Lieutenant, which, is certifying you to lead military operations. I'd say 5 years of studying warfare sure beats 12 weeks of learning to give orders.

as far as everything else in this thread, I've read it first post to newest and frankly, I laughed, a lot.

android/bbos/iOS/WinMo/etc are purely a matter of what fits every individual user best. What I would love to see is the smartphone round robin become a more often thing, as well as a full review from every writer on every device thing, as I'm sure it was at one time. BUT in addition to the long standing "experts" running a review on it, do a drawing for a random user on each site to also be included so instead of just getting reviews from the guys that know the devices like the back of their hands, get reviews from the average person, who may not know every trick in the book on their current device, but get someone that is comfortable in their phone to review other OS's after playing with them for 2 weeks or so....

there's a lot to be said for researching a device, do some digging, find out what looks like it will work for YOU, don't worry about what the rest of the crowd is doing, worry about YOU, it won't hurt you to not jump on the band wagon. As it stands, I'm the only die hard blackberry user at my store, everyone else jumped on the droid/incredible/droidx/fascinate/continuum bandwagon as soon as they could, because of all the cool games and fun stuff....I stayed off....I have no desire to have someone look at me and say "oh dude you need to download (insert game name) it's awesome you've got to play it!" and then me get it, like everyone else in my store, and then be tied up in playing games or fighting with whatever.

In my PERSONAL EXPERIENCE (please note, I'm not suggesting anything otherwise) I see more android based phones come in for similar problems time and time again (same phone multiple times for same problem) whereas usually with a blackberry, it truly is an education issue, you fix the problem, educate the user on what they did to cause the issue, and then it is resolved. That matter alone is enough to keep me from going to android, couple that with google's data mining practices and I'll sooner get rid of my smartphone altogether than carry an android based phone. I will agree that the experience varies too much due to hardware range, but, I'll also say I genuinely like the approach I've heard WP7 is supposedly taking of no third party GUI's or interfaces unless the end user chooses to install them. I also have serious issues with not being able to uninstall preloaded apps without rooting my device and thus voiding the warranty.

The smartphone OS debates/arguments will go on until the world ends, just like the computer OS debates/arguments, religion debates/arguments, political debates/arguments, and other such heated topics will continue without end. Unfortunately people aren't usually good at accepting differing opinions from their own, it's why people love to hate on each other's preferences, it allows you to feel superior because you're telling someone that your way is better and the way it should be done and you use your beliefs to press the issue home...but remember, that's exactly how the person on the other end feels, and you'll likely never win the argument/debate, you'll end up agreeing to disagree.

that's all I have to say on that....
    Ferretling likes this.
    01-19-11 02:57 AM
    you WHAT?!? have you set up an android device lately? you have to have a gmail account on the device to access the marketplace, you accept multiple agreements allowing google access to your device to monitor it. I'm not sure which versions you're dealing with, but every single android based phone I've sold and had to set up REQUIRES you to have a gmail/google account set up in order to access their app catalog. so, unless you intend to use the device with no carrier supported way to get third party apps, you DO have to use google to use android devices.
    Because you don't need an AppWorld account to access the market on a Blackberry, right?

Also, a lot of the security features of BES are absent in BIS. I don't know why consumers are raving about security on their BIS Berries when it is lacking many of the security features that corporate users get them for (and enjoy through the use of BES).
    Last edited by N8ter; 01-19-11 at 09:00 AM.
    01-19-11 08:55 AM
    Because you don't need an AppWorld account to access the market on a Blackberry, right?

Also, a lot of the security features of BES are absent in BIS. I don't know why consumers are raving about security on their BIS Berries when it is lacking many of the security features that corporate users get them for (and enjoy through the use of BES).

Not that I want to defend the person you are quoting, BUT the Big thing with Android users is "All the Apps" that is rarely a reason for a Blackberry User to want a Blackberry so they don't need to access app world, in addition there are other ways to get apps, though I assume Android also allows desktop installation of apps, I've never looked into that.
    01-19-11 09:28 AM

That's added security. BIS is still secure. Just ask India + UAE.
    01-19-11 09:34 AM
    I hope you do realise the 8520 is a 2G only budget blackberry, �130 or less on payg

Hence why I chose budget Androids in my comparison. Ones that have at least semi-similar specs. Because of course a HTC Desire HD is gonna smash open a BlackBerry 7520 in terms of performance. I know they're 2 extremes, but I'm sure you catch my drift, and in 8 months the BlackBerry 8520 depreciated from �230 to �150 in stores.

I got in in April, it is probably now worth �10 on eBay. But then again, it's not in brilliant nick... few teeth marks in it... Ah well, it'll serve me well as a backup phone when I finally upgrade.
    01-19-11 09:41 AM
    Hence why I chose budget Androids in my comparison. Ones that have at least semi-similar specs. Because of course a HTC Desire HD is gonna smash open a BlackBerry 7520 in terms of performance. I know they're 2 extremes, but I'm sure you catch my drift, and in 8 months the BlackBerry 8520 depreciated from �230 to �150 in stores.

I got in in April, it is probably now worth �10 on eBay. But then again, it's not in brilliant nick... few teeth marks in it... Ah well, it'll serve me well as a backup phone when I finally upgrade.
    The 8520 has a very special place in the market, to compare it to a touch screen android is wrong. The 8520 is primarily for teenagers that text, IM and bbm a lot and also for listening to music as it has the extra buttons on top. If that's not what you needed out of a mobile device then you bought the wrong phone. It's not for fast browsing or running 100 apps on it. Teenagers blow trough 2-3k texts a month, bbm will save them a fortune now that they discovered bbm, unlimited sms and mms for �5 a month on payg. My 14 year old niece know about bbm when I tried to tell her about it.

01-19-11 10:22 AM
    The 8520 has a very special place in the market, to compare it to a touch screen android is wrong. The 8520 is primarily for teenagers that text, IM and bbm a lot and also for listening to music as it has the extra buttons on top. If that's not what you needed out of a mobile device then you bought the wrong phone. It's not for fast browsing or running 100 apps on it. Teenagers blow trough 2-3k texts a month, bbm will save them a fortune now that they discovered bbm, unlimited sms and mms for �5 a month on payg. My 14 year old niece know about bbm when I tried to tell her about it.
    Point 1: But price-wise, you're gonna compare it to the HTC Smart and HTC Tattoo (I think that's the one). Although I didn't realise the 8520 was a very special phone, despite owning one myself.
    Point 2: Many of my teen friends are adopting the BlackBerry 8520. They also tend to like their basslines *shudders*
    Point 3: I can run a few apps on it. Thankfully, I don't like having every app and its revised version running at once on my phone. However I would like a better browser now I'm locked into BB. The Torch 2 does loop appealing, as does the Storm 3, and the vanilla Torch if I want a budget phone again.
    Point 4: Amen to that mate. I have friends who could, if it weren't for BBM, easily go through 10k texts a week.
    01-19-11 10:34 AM
    Point 1: But price-wise, you're gonna compare it to the HTC Smart and HTC Tattoo (I think that's the one). Although I didn't realise the 8520 was a very special phone, despite owning one myself.
    Point 2: Many of my teen friends are adopting the BlackBerry 8520. They also tend to like their basslines *shudders*
    Point 3: I can run a few apps on it. Thankfully, I don't like having every app and its revised version running at once on my phone. However I would like a better browser now I'm locked into BB. The Torch 2 does loop appealing, as does the Storm 3, and the vanilla Torch if I want a budget phone again.
    Point 4: Amen to that mate. I have friends who could, if it weren't for BBM, easily go through 10k texts a week.
    What's the point comparing them prise wise if they're made for two different things?

While I'm at it, bbms are free internationally as well, texts aren't, sending photo's trough bbm is also free internationally. Just in case you didn't know

01-19-11 10:43 AM
284 ... 101112
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD