I corrected myself, I said Atrix/laptop combination was going to fail, not Aytrix on its own.
    And yes, I recognise Android is better at many things but to claim it's "infinitely more capable" it's deluding yourself.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    For my needs, Android is infinitely better. But in general, that statement does not hold true . There are certain things the BB specializes at that makes it what it is.
    01-18-11 09:34 AM
    For my needs, Android is infinitely better. But in general, that statement does not hold true . There are certain things the BB specializes at that makes it what it is.
    Exactly. Just because a smatphone will have a dual core processor it doesn't give it some outstanding/exclusive capability, it just does existing ones better/faster.

01-18-11 09:42 AM
    I truly believe in to each their own. Whatever works for you, more power to you. What gets my goat is when people can't man up and see reality and the facts as they are. Blackberry is past their heyday. RIM has failed to adapt to the consumer market demands and is slowly loosing the business market with employers allowing "bring your own device to work" policies. With the market moving at its accelerated pace, it's not looking good for a company that is focusing its efforts on emerging markets were buyers are willing to accept less due to accessibility restraints.

Facts are facts, Windows Phone, iOS, and Android are more fully functional than Blackberry.
    howarmat and pantlesspenguin like this.
    01-18-11 09:46 AM
    I truly believe in to each their own. Whatever works for you, more power to you. What gets my goat is when people can't man up and see reality and the facts as they are. Blackberry is past their heyday. RIM has failed to adapt to the consumer market demands and is slowly loosing the business market with employers allowing "bring your own device to work" policies. With the market moving at its accelerated pace, it's not looking good for a company that is focusing its efforts on emerging markets were buyers are willing to accept less due to accessibility restraints.

Facts are facts, Windows Phone, iOS, and Android are more fully functional than Blackberry.
    Here we go again with the doom and gloom of Rim, the fact is Rim is GROWING as a company, how is that "not looking good"? And define more functional.

01-18-11 09:59 AM
    Close thread.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    01-18-11 10:12 AM
    Close thread.
    Not yet, there's still much debate to be had. FOR THE MOST PART this has remained pretty civil, I've seen much worse.

I'm with avt in that I HATE seeing misinformation spread about any platform. In my day I've done plenty of championing for Android, Blackberry, & even Sidekicks & its Danger OS when people were saying things that just weren't true. What I think happens, is that it becomes a game of "telephone" on the forums. Someone reads something about Android (or iOS, etc) that may or may not have been 100% true (could have been user error, could have been an issue on just that type of device or OS iteration,e tc) & spreads it around & other people repeat it & tweak the original message a bit, etc. This type of message flow doesn't do justice to ANYONE who wants a fair understanding of any OS.

I'm also w/ deRusett in what he said about the comparison among devices, not just comparing against similar models between BB & Android, but among devices within the same platform in general. This is especially relevent to Android based on the sheer number of devices out there, all with varying hardware, OS versions, etc. A Motorola Cliq running 1.6 is vastly different than a HTC MyTouch 4G running 2.2, for example. Heck, before my MyTouch I had a Samsung Vibrant running 2.1 & it was a lot different than the MyTouch! I never realized how much the different skins (HTC Sense, Samsung TouchWiz, MotoBlur, etc) have to do w/ the user experience. That's just an example of how many things there are to consider when playing around w/ Android.

I can understand a BB user's point of view when that's concerned. There are so many factors to consider & it could be disconcerting taking all that in, instead of going to a safe & sound BB that's familiar & works the way one is used to.

Do I miss BB? Sometimes...but I think it's just for sentimental reasons. After seeing what Android can do I don't think I could do w/o some of those features, & I'm not just talking about multimedia, etc. I find I can be a lot more productive on my MyTouch than I was on BB & I think that just has to do w/ full customization of home screens, widgets, etc.

That being said, I'm very much looking forward to seeing what the new generation of BBs will be capable of. I really hope they're great successes. I doubt I'll jump on any of the new ones that were just announced, but I'm definitely interested in trying out a QNX device down the line. However, it will be interesting to see what the Android OS is doing at that time, as well, & if QNX will be a worthy competitor.
    Last edited by pantlesspenguin; 01-18-11 at 11:16 AM.
    CASH likes this.
    01-18-11 11:01 AM
    Suck it haters
    Simple & great- Im going to make this my quote for 2011

Thanks!!
    01-18-11 02:34 PM
    This thread is like comparing women who have melons to those who have cantalopes.

01-18-11 02:37 PM
    Not yet, there's still much debate to be had. FOR THE MOST PART this has remained pretty civil, I've seen much worse.

I'm with avt in that I HATE seeing misinformation spread about any platform. In my day I've done plenty of championing for Android, Blackberry, & even Sidekicks & its Danger OS when people were saying things that just weren't true. What I think happens, is that it becomes a game of "telephone" on the forums. Someone reads something about Android (or iOS, etc) that may or may not have been 100% true (could have been user error, could have been an issue on just that type of device or OS iteration,e tc) & spreads it around & other people repeat it & tweak the original message a bit, etc. This type of message flow doesn't do justice to ANYONE who wants a fair understanding of any OS.

I'm also w/ deRusett in what he said about the comparison among devices, not just comparing against similar models between BB & Android, but among devices within the same platform in general. This is especially relevent to Android based on the sheer number of devices out there, all with varying hardware, OS versions, etc. A Motorola Cliq running 1.6 is vastly different than a HTC MyTouch 4G running 2.2, for example. Heck, before my MyTouch I had a Samsung Vibrant running 2.1 & it was a lot different than the MyTouch! I never realized how much the different skins (HTC Sense, Samsung TouchWiz, MotoBlur, etc) have to do w/ the user experience. That's just an example of how many things there are to consider when playing around w/ Android.

I can understand a BB user's point of view when that's concerned. There are so many factors to consider & it could be disconcerting taking all that in, instead of going to a safe & sound BB that's familiar & works the way one is used to.

Do I miss BB? Sometimes...but I think it's just for sentimental reasons. After seeing what Android can do I don't think I could do w/o some of those features, & I'm not just talking about multimedia, etc. I find I can be a lot more productive on my MyTouch than I was on BB & I think that just has to do w/ full customization of home screens, widgets, etc.

That being said, I'm very much looking forward to seeing what the new generation of BBs will be capable of. I really hope they're great successes. I doubt I'll jump on any of the new ones that were just announced, but I'm definitely interested in trying out a QNX device down the line. However, it will be interesting to see what the Android OS is doing at that time, as well, & if QNX will be a worthy competitor.
    I agree with this post entirely, I finally jumped ship from my S2 to a Droid2Global, and I love it, sure the messaging isn't quite as intuitive, sure the email for my blog was a bit of a pain to set up (the same thing I had to do with in windows so nothing big) but overall the amount of personal customization available has made up for it... I have my messages on my home screen as well as all the other desktops so it's not that big a deal, beside I can play NES SNES GB GBA PSX etc etc on my droid and I couldn't do that on my BB, not to mention full flash and being able to actually do my internet marketing on my phone unlike my storm.

I am excited to see what rim has in store, I think it's going to be a year or two before I even think of coming back to them, but I'm fine with that, **** I still visit CB more than any of the android forums.
    01-18-11 04:36 PM
    This thread is like comparing women who have melons to those who have cantalopes.

And those who can't elope because they're stuck in a long term contract.
    01-18-11 04:37 PM
    And by the time the S3 comes out, Androids will probably have 4.5GHz quad-core processors. HTC are really innovating and eating RIM's lunch. Heck, I want a HTC, but until they bring support for BlackBerry Presenter, it's a no-go for me. In my family, to sell a Christmas present you've had for less than 3 years, is a major major insult to every single member of the family, not just the people who got you that gift. I got it less than a month ago. The only devices supporting the Presenter are the BlackBerry smartphones.

I'm locked into BB, but I can tell you, Android seems to run 100x faster than my BB does (heck, I've seen Wildfires and Smarts that run faster when 100 apps are open simultaneously compared to 4 apps open on my BB, and with lesser battery drain on OEM batteries). And the lack of OS6 on my 8520. I daresay there's 10x the fragmentation on the BlackBerry platform as there is on Android. At least all the devices there (minus one or 2 of the OLDEST devices) are running FroYo (minus Samsung who are just trying to make it so the only way to get the newest OS is to shell out in excess of �700 on a new device, good job I'll never touch their devices as I cannot work them to save my life). I stated in another thread that my stepbro's desire does everything the BlackBerry is claimed to be the king of... except much better... The only thing that BB has going for it over Android (but against iOS it's toast), is security.
    Last edited by Paladinleeds; 01-18-11 at 07:51 PM.
    01-18-11 07:26 PM
    Paladin, I'm not going to argue your Android points, it's not worth the trouble (and has been done a million times lol, which is kinda the inspiration for this thread).
    But as far as iOS being more secure, I disagree. I think you're confusing security with restrictiveness. iOS is certainly far more restrictive, which in some cases creates security, but in this case it does not. There's a reason governments and security sensitive agencies don't use iPhones.

01-18-11 07:34 PM
    The only thing that BB has going for it over Android (but against iOS it's toast), is security.

Uh...your head toasted or something??
    01-18-11 07:35 PM
    Uh...your head toasted or something??
    Yeah, I left it in the toaster for 24 hours solid, with the toaster switched on on max heat

Paladin, I'm not going to argue your Android points, it's not worth the trouble (and has been done a million times lol, which is kinda the inspiration for this thread).
    But as far as iOS being more secure, I disagree. I think you're confusing security with restrictiveness. iOS is certainly far more restrictive, which in some cases creates security, but in this case it does not. There's a reason governments and security sensitive agencies don't use iPhones.
    Ah, I was not aware of this. I just know that a lot of companies in the UK are starting to defect to iPhone for work phones. Either way, it looks like RIM could be going down.

Btw, no point arguing, I've seen the Android devices in action in comparison to my BlackBerry. That doesn't make me completely versed in the Android department, but minus security, I've seen it all on Android, including see it destroy my BB and then some. Rather jealous of my Android friends, but, I must live on. The BlackBerry calls. Yes, I will give credit to the person who said BB just gets it done. Someone else used the motto of the BB smartphone being the "get sh*t done fast" phone.
    01-18-11 07:42 PM
    And by the time the S3 comes out, Androids will probably have 4.5GHz quad-core processors. HTC are really innovating and eating RIM's lunch. Heck, I want a HTC, but until they bring support for BlackBerry Presenter, it's a no-go for me. In my family, to sell a Christmas present you've had for less than 3 years, is a major major insult to every single member of the family, not just the people who got you that gift. I got it less than a month ago. The only devices supporting the Presenter are the BlackBerry smartphones.

I'm locked into BB, but I can tell you, Android seems to run 100x faster than my BB does (heck, I've seen Wildfires and Smarts that run faster when 100 apps are open simultaneously compared to 4 apps open on my BB, and with lesser battery drain on OEM batteries). And the lack of OS6 on my 8520. I daresay there's 10x the fragmentation on the BlackBerry platform as there is on Android. At least all the devices there (minus one or 2 of the OLDEST devices) are running FroYo. I stated in another thread that my stepbro's desire does everything the BlackBerry is claimed to be the king of... except much better... The only thing that BB has going for it over Android (but against iOS it's toast), is security.
    Galaxy S devices in the States don't have Froyo (2.2). I posted a thread about the reason a few hours ago.
    01-18-11 07:48 PM
    Galaxy S devices in the States don't have Froyo (2.2). I posted a thread about the reason a few hours ago.
    Aye, need to edit to correct my post. I spotted that after posting.
    01-18-11 07:50 PM
    It's because Android OS sucks. If it was as good as BBOS, they wouldn't need such powerful processors. BBOS just is, and will continue to be, better. Suck it haters.
    (puts on flame suit and unsubscribes from thread)

Update: I'd like to thank everyone who made this post a brilliant success, it is currently the hottest thread on CrackBerry
    For those wishing to replicate this thread's success, please read this instruction which I just prepared: How To Have the Hottest Thread on CrackBerry

dude, evo 4g's the best . does things blackberries cant do. its way faster....
    01-18-11 07:52 PM
    Why do people honestly care so much who uses what platform, carrier, OS...list goes on and on.

I respect people for using such things, doing my own research and of course reading responses and going to a store to mess with each one and ultimately I am the one to make the decision.

Some of ya would take this banter to your grave.

As always "to each their own." Best quote phrase out there for situations like this.

With all that said, I will say this at times don't seem like CB, but more Android related forum...and I wouldn't mind it so much, but IMO the Android owners. Are very cynical, arrogant and as ignorant as iPhone owners and that there is saying something.

One thing to love your phone, but to start name calling, and pushing a platform down people's throats is at times old hat anymore.

Really wish CB was CB again and unfortunately it may never be that way again.

Like for instance...I had an Android, 2 of them and I was on Android central a short while. I never bashed BB's or said this phone is so much more superior than any other phone...RAWRRR!

Wish you people could move on....yeah some are helpful, majority just like to belittle people....shame really.

grover5 likes this.
    01-18-11 07:53 PM
    Some of ya would take this banter to your grave.
    I have Autism, and it's a given that autistic people struggle with banter. I am getting better at recognising it though.

With all that said, I will say this at times don't seem like CB, but more Android related forum...and I wouldn't mind it so much, but IMO the Android owners. Are very cynical, arrogant and as ignorant as iPhone owners and that there is saying something.
    If you're referring to me there as one of the people in this, I'm NOT an Android owner. Nor an iPhone owner (wouldn't touch the OS with a 10 mile barge pole, however, I am kinda being hypocritical by using a MacBook)

One thing to love your phone, but to start name calling, and pushing a platform down people's throats is at times old hat anymore.
    I'm happy to let people use whatever platform they want. I'm just stating that I've seen Androids outperform my BB in areas that BB is supposed to be king of. I'm still using BB though. Give me HTC Sense and I'll definitely stay for the long-run.

Really wish CB was CB again and unfortunately it may never be that way again.
    I know my Join date may say otherwise (cannot remember what it actually says), but when I really started using CrackBerry, it was already like this.

Like for instance...I had an Android, 2 of them and I was on Android central a short while. I never bashed BB's or said this phone is so much more superior than any other phone...RAWRRR!
    Ok, you got me with this one. Just wish I had HTC Sense on my BlackBerry, then I would be really happy.

Wish you people could move on....yeah some are helpful, majority just like to belittle people....shame really.
    Not sure how to move on really when I'm using a BlackBerry and this is a BlackBerry forum... If I can help someone though, I will.
    01-18-11 07:59 PM
    For those of you which have found offense in this thread, please consider the update which I have made to the original post.
    It is reproduced here for your reading pleasure:

UPDATE: Apparently the degree of idiocracy which forms the foundation of this thread has not been recognized by some as sarcasm and/or satire, so at the risk of ruining the not-so-subtle joke let me make clear that I recognize the faults made by RIM and that in some ways Android is superior. However, I personally like BlackBerry and feel I am entitled to do so without being repeatedly informed that "Android is better".
    01-18-11 08:05 PM
    this thread is awesome, it just gets funnier and funnier.
    01-18-11 08:06 PM
    I have Autism, and it's a given that autistic people struggle with banter. I am getting better at recognising it though.

If you're referring to me there as one of the people in this, I'm NOT an Android owner. Nor an iPhone owner (wouldn't touch the OS with a 10 mile barge pole, however, I am kinda being hypocritical by using a MacBook)

I'm happy to let people use whatever platform they want. I'm just stating that I've seen Androids outperform my BB in areas that BB is supposed to be king of. I'm still using BB though. Give me HTC Sense and I'll definitely stay for the long-run.

I know my Join date may say otherwise (cannot remember what it actually says), but when I really started using CrackBerry, it was already like this.

Ok, you got me with this one. Just wish I had HTC Sense on my BlackBerry, then I would be really happy.

Not sure how to move on really when I'm using a BlackBerry and this is a BlackBerry forum... If I can help someone though, I will.
    My fingers are getting tired replying to you....

Honestly wasn't directed to you...more a wide variety of people...funny you thought I focused on you though...

01-18-11 09:06 PM
    Honestly wasn't directed to you...more a wide variety of people...funny you thought I focused on you though...
    Well, you have branded me a troll before, even though there was, in the eyes of a mod, nothing even remotely trollish about my posts in the whole thread. But, I'm sorry for misunderstanding it and taking it as being spoken against me.
    01-18-11 09:17 PM

But aren't cantalopes melons?
    01-18-11 09:30 PM
    Trolls don't get banned, unfortunately.
    01-18-11 09:37 PM
284 ... 9101112
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD