Hot thread is RED HOT!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-18-11 06:26 AM
    Let's not kid ourselves, a phone will never ever be able to replace a laptop, a tablet maybe but a phone, I don't think so.
    And that, my friend, is the typical BB mentality. "I have this device to perform this task and I have that device to perform that task, so why do I need my phone to do everything?".
    You're probably right though, a phone will probably never completely replace a laptop in terms of full functionality but I'm afraid that you're looking at it the wrong way. Smartphones today can easily perform the tasks of the laptops of just a few years ago, and they are expanding those abilities all the time (At least most of them are). If every manufacturer used your line of thinking (the Blackberry way), we would all have to carry around laptops if we wanted to access the web, iPods if we wanted to listen to music or play an occasional game, GPS if we needed directions, etc. All of which was only possible on a laptop just a few (relatively speaking) years ago.
    01-18-11 06:36 AM
    And that, my friend, is the typical BB mentality. "I have this device to perform this task and I have that device to perform that task, so why do I need my phone to do everything?".
    You're probably right though, a phone will probably never completely replace a laptop in terms of full functionality but I'm afraid that you're looking at it the wrong way. Smartphones today can easily perform the tasks of the laptops of just a few years ago, and they are expanding those abilities all the time (At least most of them are). If every manufacturer used your line of thinking (the Blackberry way), we would all have to carry around laptops if we wanted to access the web, iPods if we wanted to listen to music or play an occasional game, GPS if we needed directions, etc. All of which was only possible on a laptop just a few (relatively speaking) years ago.
    In theory one device to do it all sounds good but you quickly hit the limitations. That's why people still buy ipods, stand alone gps units, notebooks, laptops, tablets, TVs, desktop computers, radios

The question is not "can you do this on your phone?" It's "why do it on your phone?"

I can see tablets replacing laptops for some people but not mobile phones. It's one thing to have the ability but another to actually use it.

Like people buying 4X4s even though they never ever drive off road

01-18-11 06:58 AM
    But that's exactly my point, my laptop can do so much more then an adroid phone ever will be able to do and that on a single core, why does a phone need dual core.
    Let's not kid ourselves, a phone will never ever be able to replace a laptop, a tablet maybe but a phone, I don't think so.

I think they only do it so they have what to sell to the current android owners.

That can be said about any phone. An Android phone is infinitely more capable than a Blackberry though.

I think my biggest pet peeve about Blackberries is the inability to install applications to the SD card.

I mean, in 2011 RIM is still shipping phones with as much free App Storage as a feature phone, when there are apps in the App Store that take up 5+MB storage...
    01-18-11 06:59 AM
    Well the S3 is going to have a 1.2 mghz processor...how do you respond to that?
    Storm 3 is gonna have 1.2GHz in ~September.

Android phones are going to have Dual Core in Spring at the latest.

The MyTouch4G on T-Mobile already has 1GHz with 768 MB RAM and Gigs on on-board storage (4GB?) with about 2GB for App Storage.

If the Storm 2 had WVGA MultiTouch Capacity with 512 RAM and 1GB App Storage and an 800 MHz [more current-gen] processor I don't think people would have complained about it much.

I wonder if the S3 will be upgradeable to QNX, though. They said they need dual core processors, and I dont' see the point in buying a phone with a sunsetting OS platform on it if they will be coming out with QNX OS phones relatively soon after.

I also am dubious about buying any device that needs an OS update, because RIM seems like they're even slower than most Android manufacturers. The Curve 3G is still waiting for an Official OS6 update on 3/4 carriers.
    01-18-11 07:06 AM
    In theory one device to do it all sounds good but you quickly hit the limitations. That's why people still buy ipods, stand alone gps units, notebooks, laptops, tablets, TVs, desktop computers, radios
    It all depends what some people use Laptops for. I used to carry a laptop around simply for portable internet. Now..there is no need to do that. I'm able to browse the web quicker on my phone than I am on a laptop. Obviously most people who use laptops do so for school or work purposes..but in my household..we had 2 laptops and a desktop. Now..both laptops basically sit collecting dust since my wife got her iPad for Xmas.

I think you're going to see more of a shift here with things like the Atrix hitting the streets..able to power it's own laptop. Simply dock it in a "shell" (which basically consists of keyboard components and the monitor..no other guts needed)..which will be uber-lightweight..and BOOM..full laptop capabilities. And these features will only get better and better as phone processors get better and better.

You ask "why do we need so big of processors?"...when you should be asking "What kind of great things are these innovations going to create?".
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-18-11 07:08 AM

The question is not "can you do this on your phone?" It's "why do it on your phone?"

I can see tablets replacing laptops for some people but not mobile phones. It's one thing to have the ability but another to actually use it.

The iPhone IS an iPod Touch. WP7 devices ARE ZuneHDs.

Tablets won't replace laptops, at least not Playbooks and Android Tablets, because people who use Laptops use them because they need systems with real applications and capabilities beyond what tablets can provide.

There is too much that you can't really do on a tablet. They're only good for consumption and basic content creation. Anything more and you run into several show-stoppers.
    01-18-11 07:09 AM

I can save $500-600 by not having to buy those items, thats why i want it on my phone. hey if you have 500-600 to blow on those items and then pay for the updates to the GPS thats great! but i can think of much better ways to spend that money and not have to take 3 devices with me also. ooh and i would to do it all at the same time too which requires good processing power. Something that my POS 624 mhz processor in the current blackberries struggle with.
    01-18-11 07:11 AM
    That can be said about any phone. An Android phone is infinitely more capable than a Blackberry though.

I think my biggest pet peeve about Blackberries is the inability to install applications to the SD card.

I mean, in 2011 RIM is still shipping phones with as much free App Storage as a feature phone, when there are apps in the App Store that take up 5+MB storage...
    That is a huge overstatement, in what way is Android infinitely more capable?

They all do the same things, Android just does some of them better and some not as good as blackberry.
    I've yet to see a blackberry app that has 5+ mb, most are still under 1mb.

01-18-11 07:30 AM
    It all depends what some people use Laptops for. I used to carry a laptop around simply for portable internet. Now..there is no need to do that. I'm able to browse the web quicker on my phone than I am on a laptop. Obviously most people who use laptops do so for school or work purposes..but in my household..we had 2 laptops and a desktop. Now..both laptops basically sit collecting dust since my wife got her iPad for Xmas.

I think you're going to see more of a shift here with things like the Atrix hitting the streets..able to power it's own laptop. Simply dock it in a "shell" (which basically consists of keyboard components and the monitor..no other guts needed)..which will be uber-lightweight..and BOOM..full laptop capabilities. And these features will only get better and better as phone processors get better and better.

You ask "why do we need so big of processors?"...when you should be asking "What kind of great things are these innovations going to create?".
    You do realise the Atrix set up has been available
    for years? Palm had it, and winmo and blackberry has firefly laptop. How popular is it? Exactly. Atrix will be a big fail.

01-18-11 07:33 AM
    for years? Palm had it, and winmo and blackberry has firefly laptop. How popular is it? Exactly. Atrix will be a big fail.

somehow i doubt the top of the line android phone on the market is going to fail....
    01-18-11 07:39 AM

I remember carrying around a dumb phone, and a Palm III organizer. Well I tried to carry around the Palm III (still have it in the basement), but almost everyone carries a phone, but you only take other things around when you have to.

The more functionality that is in a phone, then the more functionality that you have with you almost all of the time. Women may be able to carry a Tablet all the time in their purses, but is a guy going to go out to the bar, or mall, or wherever that isn't work time and have a tablet with them?
    01-18-11 07:40 AM

Don't be too sure because timing is everything. Those other products were produced in an entirely different climate. As the race for faster and more powerful smartphones is heating up, the Atrix just may be what today's consumer is looking for.
    01-18-11 07:41 AM
    somehow i doubt the best android phone on the market is going to fail....
    Sorry, I meant Atrix as phone/laptop combination.
    First of all the Atrix alone will cost more then a decent spec laptop, ad the dock laptop to the cost and it will go well over $1000

And sure it is gonna be best Android phone on the market but for how long? 3 months?

Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 01-18-11 at 07:45 AM.
    01-18-11 07:43 AM
    Sorry, I meant Atrix as phone/laptop combination.
    First of all the Atrix alone will cost more then a decent spec laptop, ad the dock laptop to the cost and it will go well over $1000

And sure it is gonna be best Android phone on the market but for how long? 3 months?

how much you think the atrix is gonna cost on ATT contract? cause last i looked get a "decent spec laptop" is going to cost 350-400
    01-18-11 07:47 AM

You're going to have to provide me with a link because a quick Google search brought up nothing with regards to it. And to say something that Palm had years ago when their hardware was about as good as a modern day calculator is irrelevant.
    01-18-11 07:47 AM
    Don't be too sure because timing is everything. Those other products were produced in an entirely different climate. As the race for faster and more powerful smartphones is heating up, the Atrix just may be what today's consumer is looking for.
    Will Atrix be a powerful smartphone? Yes.
    Will Atrix be a powerful laptop? Not in the slightest. It's basically just has firefox browser and basic capabilities.

01-18-11 07:48 AM
    Will Atrix be a powerful smartphone? Yes.
    Will Atrix be a powerful laptop? Not in the slightest. It's basically just has firefox browser and basic capabilities.

I don't think that it is intended to be a powerful laptop, but more like using the phone to it's fullest potential using a full screen. It's funny that you're somehow viewing this negatively, but when someone mentioned using the playbook to view your Blackberry screen it was seen as the re-invention of the wheel.
    01-18-11 08:01 AM
    You're going to have to provide me with a link because a quick Google search brought up nothing with regards to it. And to say something that Palm had years ago when their hardware was about as good as a modern day calculator is irrelevant.
    Maybe it wasn't called firefly, I can't remember exactly but it was reviewed here on crackberry.

01-18-11 08:04 AM
    I don't think that it is intended to be a powerful laptop, but more like using the phone to it's fullest potential using a full screen. It's funny that you're somehow viewing this negatively, but when someone mentioned using the playbook to view your Blackberry screen it was seen as the re-invention of the wheel.
    Actually that's been possible for years too, one of the applications is the Impatica connector.

01-18-11 08:06 AM
    Lol, it's Redfly not firefly

http://www.celiocorp.com

Rickroller likes this.
    01-18-11 08:29 AM
    Great...maybe they'll bother to update the next samsung...once.
    lol yea. Samsung has a horrible track record with updates. Good thing some people get it done for the community though.
    01-18-11 09:11 AM
    My question to you is, why not? The less I have to carry to get things done, the better. If I can do everything I can do on my device and get 23-25 hours of heavy use, I am perfectly happy with that.
    K Bear likes this.
    01-18-11 09:15 AM
    That is a huge overstatement, in what way is Android infinitely more capable?
    Do you really need another list? Software out, BBs are completely lacking the hardware features that some Android devices have (let's not even mention that the flagship BB doesn't even have a GPU).

This is the most foolish post ever. You are just assuming the Atrix will do bad and people aren't going to buy it because they have no need for the Webtop access. You do realize that the majority of people that are going to buy this device (and I'm sure there will be a lot of people) aren't even going to buy the Webtop accessories right?

You are calling fail on a feature of the device you don't even have to use. IMO your logic failed.
    01-18-11 09:21 AM
    Do you really need another list? Software out, BBs are completely lacking the hardware features that some Android devices have (let's not even mention that the flagship BB doesn't even have a GPU).

This is the most foolish post ever. You are just assuming the Atrix will do bad and people aren't going to buy it because they have no need for the Webtop access. You do realize that the majority of people that are going to buy this device (and I'm sure there will be a lot of people) aren't even going to buy the Webtop accessories right?

You are calling fail on a feature of the device you don't even have to use. IMO your logic failed.
    I corrected myself, I said Atrix/laptop combination was going to fail, not Aytrix on its own.
    And yes, I recognise Android is better at many things but to claim it's "infinitely more capable" it's deluding yourself.

01-18-11 09:27 AM
284 ... 89101112
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD