Sooo, what happens if somebody steals your memory card?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Decent Android phones come with 4-16GB Storage in the device. I don't use my memory card. If they steal it, all they'll have is a DRM'd Avatar movie they can't play on anything else.

And I have that backed up on my computer...

The SD Card is more of an issue for Windows Mobile and Blackberry users than people with high end Nokia, WP7, iOS, or Andoir handsets.
    01-17-11 04:33 PM
    Decent Android phones come with 4-16GB Storage in the device. I don't use my memory card. If they steal it, all they'll have is a DRM'd Avatar movie they can't play on anything else.

And I have that backed up on my computer...

The SD Card is more of an issue for Windows Mobile and Blackberry users than people with high end Nokia, WP7, iOS, or Andoir handsets.
    My point was: if you back up your android to the memory card and somebody steals your memory card, can they restore your phone into another one?

01-17-11 04:44 PM
    "But simply, based on the observation of what others have to do...."

This statement screams ignorance.

Let's say you observe someone shooting a firearm....do you then know whether it's good or not? Do you then know how to operate it efficiently?

Lets be more practical....let's say you observe a doctor treating a patient....do you know whether the doctor is doing a good job or not? Do you then know how to treat a patient?

Let's be even more practical.....lets say you observe someone driving a car with a manual gear box...do you know whether or not the car is good? Do you then know how to operate it efficiently?

The point is...

Doing something > observing something

Experiencing something for yourself > reading about someone elses experience.

You also said "to communicate at half the efficiency of a BB"

How exactly are you measuring efficiency? Comparing their messaging abilities to that of your own? You know kid that won some award for being the fastest texter in the world? Compared to him your efficiency blows....and if memory serves he was using a feature phone...

If a BB does what "you want" how "you want it done" then that's fantastic and I'm actually happy for you...and I'm being sincere. But does that in anyway make BB a better phone than any other phone. Of course not.

Nope, Swype was used to break the record.

That's either an Android or a Bada smartphone. I'm leaning towards Bada.

Then later:

Watch those thumbs fly: College kid breaks the world texting record – Cell Phones & Mobile Device Technology News & Updates | Geek.com

This chick did it without Swype, just two thumbing the whole damn thing... Wow!
    01-17-11 04:46 PM
    It's always nice when people show how useless their post is in the first sentence.

There are Android phones in various form-factors with various keyboard types.

Droid 2, Epic, Droid Pro, etc.

I know having so many choices CAN be overwhelming to some, but these blanket statements about form factor are silly...

Android and iOS and even WP7 do PIM as well as Blackberry these days. It's not 2004 anymore.
    Of course they do. I was answering the poster above me, who was the one who first mentioned the lack of keyboard. Might want to get the whole picture before going off half cocked.....
    01-17-11 04:47 PM
    My point was: if you back up your android to the memory card and somebody steals your memory card, can they restore your phone into another one?

Anyone who is savvy enough to root and use Titanium Backup should be Savvy enough to know they should not be keeping full system backups on their phone.

And no, it does not backup login credentials, if that's what you were worried about :P
    01-17-11 04:51 PM
    Search for "BBM Wrong Contact". Same bug happened to BlackBerry Messenger. All phones are buggy.

I think there is a distinct difference from an app and a core function of any cell phone.

Yeah, and it's not like BB ever had that problem. OS 5.0.0.419 for example.

Easy fix on an Android, just use any number of the free SMS clients available. I never experienced the issue btw.
    There are plenty of reports that the 3rd party doesn't fix the issue. I personally had this issue using Handcent..

Don't get me wrong guys, I'm no Blackberry fanboy. I've had this Tour approx a week. I was a long time WinMo user and switched to Android some time ago. Love the platform, but an issue like that is a deal breaker. Google only recently made the error widely known, even though they've known about it for sometime. Since March if I recall correctly. Not to mention the fact that there is no definitive timeline for the fix they claim to have..finally, chances are if your device is older than 4 months, you'll never see the fix anyway. Just my $.02
    01-17-11 04:51 PM
    Of course they do. I was answering the poster above me, who was the one who first mentioned the lack of keyboard. Might want to get the whole picture before going off half cocked.....
    I respond to posts as I read through the thread (as you can see).

And nah, I've read the surrounding posts. Don't try to save face now. That doesn't seem possible for you at this point.

Anyone who's moaning about the lack of a keyboard is being ignorant, and anyone agreeing with them on this point is being twice as ignorant because I'd assume the person who read it would at least try to spend 15 seconds on verification before they agree.
    01-17-11 04:53 PM
    I'd like to thank everyone who made this post a brilliant success, it is currently the hottest thread on CrackBerry
    For those wishing to replicate this thread's success, please read this instruction which I just prepared: How to have the Hottest Thread on CrackBerry
    FMB8900 likes this.
    01-17-11 04:54 PM
    It's because Android OS sucks. If it was as good as BBOS, they wouldn't need such powerful processors. BBOS just is, and will continue to be, better. Suck it haters.
    (puts on flame suit and unsubscribes from thread)
    You. Are. Awesome.
    01-17-11 04:54 PM
    I'd like to thank everyone who made this post a brilliant success, it is currently the hottest thread on CrackBerry
    For those wishing to replicate this thread's success, please read this instruction which I just prepared: How to have the Hottest Thread on CrackBerry
    Double. Awesome.
    01-17-11 04:57 PM
    That's the point. I don't know about the newest droids but the droids and iphones use have trouble with docs. Exel. Emails. The iphone, iphone2g, and iphone3g use to have to go to a website to retrive their mms messages and just couldn't send them. You didn't use to beable to use custom ringtones to the contact list. Most of the things that us BB abusers use our devices for you have to custom the other platforms to do it. With BB rigjt out the box it works.
    Why is that it hurt yalls feelings so much when we say we don't like, want, agree, or trust those other platforms. Iv only been to another platform forum for in search of knowledge. I've never post a disagreement about them. Why? Glad you asked. I have the device I want. I assume everybody else does. Even though I know this isn't true. I'm not going to come to your house and argue w/ you that your coffee table is ugle and useless. Rim has been doing this for awhile now. They know how to do what they do. They've been found to be rock solid. The droid might prove to get there. I doubt the ios will ever get tbere. There is nothing wrong with BB devices and they are better for us. I'm sorry this chaps your booty. You can't convert everyone. Some of us will stay "lost"

Doesn't Android have a Docs To Go app exactly like BlackBerry. I hope so because I use that a lot right now for Word and PDF Reader.

01-17-11 05:06 PM
    That's the point. I don't know about the newest droids but the droids and iphones use have trouble with docs. Exel. Emails. The iphone, iphone2g, and iphone3g use to have to go to a website to retrive their mms messages and just couldn't send them. You didn't use to beable to use custom ringtones to the contact list. Most of the things that us BB abusers use our devices for you have to custom the other platforms to do it. With BB rigjt out the box it works.
    Android works out of the box as well (and you get more for your money, better hardware and more features, but people will always debate this). ALL I was saying is that if someone likes the BB setup so much, you can basically make Android mimic it if someone decided to move to a platform and wanted the other features it offered while keeping the same type of setup as a BB.

Why is that it hurt yalls feelings so much when we say we don't like, want, agree, or trust those other platforms.
    You aren't hurting anyones feelings. I do not care what device you use. Use whatever makes you happy. I just do not like when people post misinformation on a site that is suppose to help people.

Iv only been to another platform forum for in search of knowledge. I've never post a disagreement about them. Why? Glad you asked. I have the device I want. I assume everybody else does. Even though I know this isn't true. I'm not going to come to your house and argue w/ you that your coffee table is ugle and useless. Rim has been doing this for awhile now. They know how to do what they do. They've been found to be rock solid. The droid might prove to get there. I doubt the ios will ever get tbere. There is nothing wrong with BB devices and they are better for us. I'm sorry this chaps your booty. You can't convert everyone. Some of us will stay "lost"

This house you speak of (this one), is as much as my house as it is yours. I have been here for almost 3 years. I have owned over 3 BBs and deal with them everyday. Some of us choose to remain a part of this community. It is too bad that some have turned into trolls bashing BB whenever they get the chance.

I'm not trying to convert anyone. I just spread information.
    01-17-11 05:08 PM
    I respond to posts as I read through the thread (as you can see).

And nah, I've read the surrounding posts. Don't try to save face now. That doesn't seem possible for you at this point.

Anyone who's moaning about the lack of a keyboard is being ignorant, and anyone agreeing with them on this point is being twice as ignorant because I'd assume the person who read it would at least try to spend 15 seconds on verification before they agree.
    Save face? to you? what idiocy!!! as if I'd been the one who hadn't bothered to put things in context!!! I've read enough of your posts to know their substance, and they're irrelevant to me.
    01-17-11 05:08 PM
    Doesn't Android have a Docs To Go app exactly like BlackBerry. I hope so because I use that a lot right now for Word and PDF Reader.

Yes it does, and Quick Office.
    01-17-11 05:12 PM
    So does all your posts.
    JD come on now... DOn't get sucked in with that comment. I have never known you to make a comment to anybody on here like that and i am not backing up the person, Just a comment on my part.
    01-17-11 05:14 PM
    Android works out of the box as well (and you get more for your money, better hardware and more features, but people will always debate this). ALL I was saying is that if someone likes the BB setup so much, you can basically make Android mimic it if someone decided to move to a platform and wanted the other features it offered while keeping the same type of setup as a BB.

You aren't hurting anyones feelings. I do not care what device you use. Use whatever makes you happy. I just do not like when people post misinformation on a site that is suppose to help people.

This house you speak of (this one), is as much as my house as it is yours. I have been here for almost 3 years. I have owned over 3 BBs and deal with them everyday. Some of us choose to remain a part of this community. It is too bad that some have turned into trolls bashing BB whenever they get the chance.

I'm not trying to convert anyone. I just spread information.
    +1 Agreed.
    01-17-11 05:21 PM
    What you don't know about me or the work I do or the research I see or the decisions I make could fill as many pages as a Tolstoy novel.

Before you call someone ignorant you should take a look in a mirror. You'll see one example there.
    So you're that swim teacher who's never swam before then. You're the armchair football expert who's never stepped on a field of grass. I get it.
    FigureThisOut likes this.
    01-17-11 05:24 PM
    Sorry you've been called a Troll

What is unfortunate is that you are moving to the platform that those that ARE trolls on this forum are using, so bringing up android to some of the users on this site automatically makes them think trolling is about to happen, because unfortunately I can think of 4 people off the top of my head that when I see their name I can be sure that the post will be directly insulting either blackberry or blackberry users as a group, every time.

it is those individuals who have made the forum more hostile, and then it is compounded because we have a lot of heavy posters who have also made the switch and are quick to point out what their phone can do that the Blackberry one can't.

the direct comparison for experience between the 2 requires users that have used both, but in reality, if your last phone was a Tour, Storm 1, or 8330, your contribution to the general world of Blackberry comparison is invalid, it would be like me comparing ALL android devices to Cupcake,
    Now I suppose this is truly the one time that anyone on here at least in a long time have actually P***** me off with a comment.

You say that people that own a Tour such as myself and Chrissy who just commented to are not qualified to respond or contribute to the general world of BB comparrison?? WHat is that all about.

You may have more posts the me and have a title of BB genius which is just a title but it does not mean I am not qualified to make an informed and acurate comment to a post on here. If anything you really made a bad choice of words there and I am offended at it and would not act the same towards you.
    01-17-11 05:25 PM
    The OS hasn't changed that much from 5 to 6. I still am trying to help BlackBerry users on here just as I've always done. Though it's true I haven't used the browser on OS6. I've only seen it being used when I watched someone use their Bold not too long ago. It's still not what I want in a browser.

I'm not offended though, he didn't mean any derogatory I'm sure. I see his point. Not that I agree because as I've said, the BlackBerry OS/Menu is very similar from 8330 to Torch.

01-17-11 05:28 PM
    howarmat likes this.
    01-17-11 05:58 PM

I can't speak for Word..but it definately does PDF great (as that's what I mostly use for work). Siphoning thru 20+ pages of pdf is also MUCH faster with a 1ghz processor..as BB owners will soon come to realize in Q3.
    01-17-11 06:02 PM
    Thanks for the info!!!

01-17-11 06:04 PM
    Well, Google discloses what they're doing with your information, etc. At least they're open about it, and to me, that is better than someone doing it secretly or behind the scenes anyway. At least I know and can make a choice this way.

How can you make a choice when you think everyone (could) be doing it?:
    01-17-11 06:06 PM
    I can't speak for Word..but it definately does PDF great (as that's what I mostly use for work). Siphoning thru 20+ pages of pdf is also MUCH faster with a 1ghz processor..as BB owners will soon come to realize in Q3.
    Thanks for the info!!!

i find Officesuite much better than docs to go, cant remember the cost though. I um didnt pay for it lol
    01-17-11 06:09 PM
    I um have Docs To Go Premium that way too. As long as it does Word and PDF, I'd probably pay for it though. Maybe.

01-17-11 06:10 PM
284 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD