I noticed recently that if you're email provider supports imap when you set your email up on your blackberry it will pull or the necessary details automatically, you don't have to enter them manually anymore.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Many of the newest phones be it Android or iphone including BB have had that feature for some time. It is for sure pop3 that you mainly have to manually enter the server info.

Even the other day I was reading the PDF file on the iphone user guide and they were even specific about if you are a gmail user which is best on setting up email as the choices were Microsoft exchange which was also the consensus in the iphone forum I was in or IMAP or other.

Email is very easy now, I just log into my BIS and do it all from there, DOne is less then 5 mins.
    01-17-11 01:13 PM
    @Qbnkelt I think you're more scared of the Android platform than anything. Scared that if you try it you'll give up your beloved Blackberry that you seem to cherish so much. I'll be honest with you, that's exactly what will happen...
    SD I have to say that I do beleive you are right on your falling in love with the Android once having enough time to use it since I hear so many good things here from people like you and sandman and many others. Also I have heard countless mixed emotions on Android Central and if I went that way i have one in mind that is not yet out but will be, Actually 2 of them.

The one thing I wanted to ask because the more I read the more I want to stir away from "ROOTING" the Android should I choose this as my next phone because of alot of negatives i get from reading about it. Why did you "ROOT" your Android and can you provide very specific reasons?

Thank you
    01-17-11 01:19 PM
    Many of the newest phones be it Android or iphone including BB have had that feature for some time. It is for sure pop3 that you mainly have to manually enter the server info.

Even the other day I was reading the PDF file on the iphone user guide and they were even specific about if you are a gmail user which is best on setting up email as the choices were Microsoft exchange which was also the consensus in the iphone forum I was in or IMAP or other.

Email is very easy now, I just log into my BIS and do it all from there, DOne is less then 5 mins.
    Sorry, I was referring to more specific situations, if you own a domain and have an email address for it for example your email address might be [email protected] but the imap and smtp details are totaly different, I'm my case imap.1and1.co.uk.
    Before I had to enter the email address and password and after a while it would ask you for more details, now it gets the details automatically.

01-17-11 01:25 PM
    @Qbnkelt I think you're more scared of the Android platform than anything. Scared that if you try it you'll give up your beloved Blackberry that you seem to cherish so much. I'll be honest with you, that's exactly what will happen...
    Thank you, SD. I am terrified of frogs, lizards, Chemistry, and Trigonometry. Smartphone platforms....not so much.

Yup, I love Blackberries now as I used to love my collection of Motorola flips back in the day. Or as much as loved WinMo. I may fall in love with iOS next June.
    From what I see of Android....not so much.

But interesting suggestion!
    01-17-11 01:33 PM
    I snipped everything because we'll go in circles for years. However, let me simply address this one....

I don't own an Android and I won't go near one with a ten foot pole. But simply, based on observations of what others have to do to communicate at half the efficiency of BB, the messaging on Android sucks. I supervise the division which manages the contract for our wireless fleet. I don't base any decisions on anything I read in this forum except for actual assistance from a very, very, very select group of people. For my own purposes, I can gather information on any Android device I would be interested in. And I have members of my own family and people who work for me who own these devices.

I have wireless programs technical leads who have given me information as to Android's strenghts and vulnerabilities, of which, contrary to what people here would have me believe, there are many. While the federal government would entertain the possibility of a very defined sandbox in which iOS could possibly play and where iPads may be introduced as long as they don't touch the networks, Android is absolutely not even being considered. The vulnerabilities are enormous.

So, no. Don't attempt to give me the "oh, you're so misinformed and you don't know Android because you don't have one and Android isn't for everyone" bit. We had one manager who asked about Android devices - after my technical lead gave him a presentation comparing BB and Android, and after discussing the vulnerabilities of Android, he opted out of the whole idea. The feds won't entertain it. Their reasoning is one with which I concur.
    I've been saying all along that BB fans tend to be much more ignorant in regards to other platforms and this more than proves it.

The BB fans here = most haven't used the platforms (Android) they're bashing
    Android fans here = were former BB users (most of the time for a long time) and actually use facts to back up their arguments

Hence, BB fans like the one above = extremely ignorant

If there was such thing as a factcheck.org equivalent that would objectively survey the arguments from BB fans and Android fans on this forum, it would have to correct almost every BB fan's arguments and very little of the Android fans.

But people can choose to be ignorant. Freedom rocks.
    01-17-11 01:33 PM
    I snipped everything because we'll go in circles for years. However, let me simply address this one....

I don't own an Android and I won't go near one with a ten foot pole. But simply, based on observations of what others have to do to communicate at half the efficiency of BB, the messaging on Android sucks. I supervise the division which manages the contract for our wireless fleet. I don't base any decisions on anything I read in this forum except for actual assistance from a very, very, very select group of people. For my own purposes, I can gather information on any Android device I would be interested in. And I have members of my own family and people who work for me who own these devices.

I have wireless programs technical leads who have given me information as to Android's strenghts and vulnerabilities, of which, contrary to what people here would have me believe, there are many. While the federal government would entertain the possibility of a very defined sandbox in which iOS could possibly play and where iPads may be introduced as long as they don't touch the networks, Android is absolutely not even being considered. The vulnerabilities are enormous.

So, no. Don't attempt to give me the "oh, you're so misinformed and you don't know Android because you don't have one and Android isn't for everyone" bit. We had one manager who asked about Android devices - after my technical lead gave him a presentation comparing BB and Android, and after discussing the vulnerabilities of Android, he opted out of the whole idea. The feds won't entertain it. Their reasoning is one with which I concur.
    Messaging on pretty much every phone is the same, isn't it? IM, SMS, E-mail,
    etc.

A sends message to B
    B receives message from A
    B replies to A
    A receives reply from B

and so forth....

I've done this on all phones I've owned no matter the platform. iOS, Android,
    BB OS. What's the difference? Because there's a physical keyboard? If that's
    what makes it easier and the other's "suck" then just say that.
    01-17-11 01:34 PM
    SD I have to say that I do beleive you are right on your falling in love with the Android once having enough time to use it since I hear so many good things here from people like you and sandman and many others. Also I have heard countless mixed emotions on Android Central and if I went that way i have one in mind that is not yet out but will be, Actually 2 of them.

The one thing I wanted to ask because the more I read the more I want to stir away from "ROOTING" the Android should I choose this as my next phone because of alot of negatives i get from reading about it. Why did you "ROOT" your Android and can you provide very specific reasons?

Thank you
    I'm not SD but here are my reasons for rooting:

• I fully believe in AOSP ROMs now that I've had experience with Cyanogenmod and love what the Android Community can come up with (totally in love with the gestures feature Cyanogenmod & Teamdouche have added to 6.1) as well as getting OS updates before carriers can get them out (currently using Gingerbread)
    • The ability to backup and restore apps with Titanium Backup (like that BB program I used to use on PC, can't recall it off hand)
    • Ability to do a nandroid backup (full phone backup) to my SD Card that i'm able to restore it if I were to do something stupid
    • Custom Kernels that allow for overclocking/undervolting as well as adding features and LED options
    01-17-11 01:41 PM
    OK, Figure,....for me, the lack of keyboard sucks.

And....email management on Android does not compare to BB. I don't want to have to deal with my messaging, I want to just do it. I don't want to have to sync this to that or open a thread instead of a folder or stand on my head while drinking a glass of water....I want to just do it, have the last message be on the screen when I take the phone out of my holster, have my calendar synced seamlessly, have my contacts integrated seamlessly. I've got enough going on in my life that I don't want to spend it tinkering with something that is supposed to make things easier, not hinder them.

And I would disagree with anyone who attempts to say that any other platform manages communications and taskings better than BB. Browser, multimedia, games.....sure, Android and iOS win. For what *I want* and how *I want it done* nothing beats Blackberry.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 01-17-11 at 01:44 PM.
    01-17-11 01:42 PM

I don't own an Android and I won't go near one with a ten foot pole. But simply, based on observations of what others have to do to communicate at half the efficiency of BB, the messaging on Android sucks.
    How does it suck? I have shortcuts. I have custom tones, custom vibrate. I communicate just as fast on Android as I did on my BB. Once again, USE the device before you come up with these statement. Maybe you just don't know how to use Android?

I supervise the division which manages the contract for our wireless fleet. I don't base any decisions on anything I read in this forum except for actual assistance from a very, very, very select group of people. For my own purposes, I can gather information on any Android device I would be interested in. And I have members of my own family and people who work for me who own these devices.
    Congrats. That still does not mean messaging on Android sucks. Thanks for letting me know you credentials for your assumptions though.

Once again you are talking about the the federal government, and I am talking about consumers. I do not care about the Federal Government. My needs are not based on their requirements. I am talking about a CONSUMER DEVICE. Not a government device.

Android has Exchange support and works fine for over 40 people I know in the business world. Your job and the Federal Government do not have more people than the entire consumer population.

Again, the security your JOB needs, is not what the majority of the world needs. Android isn't targeted at your job, it is targeted at consumers in general.

So yes, I will give you the "oh, you are misinformed and you don't know Android because you don't have one and Android isn't for everyone" bit. I don't give a **** what your family, friends and coworkers say. Until YOU own the device, use it and make these opinions based off of your experience, all you are doing is ranting and assuming things based off of other peoples opinions.

And not all Android users are "robots". Just like not all BB users are tools.
    Last edited by avt123; 01-17-11 at 01:50 PM.
    01-17-11 01:43 PM
    For what *I want* and how *I want it done* nothing beats Blackberry.
    And there you go. Messaging on Android does not suck, it just sucks for you. So why the general statement?

Oh and BTW, you can pretty much customize it to the point where it is almost exactly like your BB.
    01-17-11 01:45 PM
    OK, Figure,....for me, the lack of keyboard sucks.

And....email management on Android does not compare to BB. I don't want to have to deal with my messaging, I want to just do it. I don't want to have to sync this to that or open a thread instead of a folder or stand on my head while drinking a glass of water....I want to just do it, have the last message be on the screen when I take the phone out of my holster, have my calendar synced seamlessly, have my contacts integrated seamlessly.

And I would disagree with anyone who attempts to say that any other platform manages communications and taskings better than BB. Browser, multimedia, games.....sure, Android and iOS win. For what *I want* and how *I want it done* nothing beats Blackberry.
    I'm not arguing nor agreeing/disagreeing your other points. Everything should be how you see fit. My only quirk in your opinions is the messaging aspect which is why I decided to post and ask the question. The email handling, sycning, calendar, etc. I couldn't care less. Not even the point about taskings. Simply messaging. Which is the same to me.
    01-17-11 01:46 PM

Thank you
    The biggest reason I rooted my Android device is to have full control of the OS. With Android you're granting yourself SU, which is Superuser Permissions. This is no different than having Administrators access on your PC. The other reason is to take screenshots, in order to take screenshots of the device, you need root access. Not all devices need root access to take screenshots, but most do.
    01-17-11 01:47 PM
    The biggest reason I rooted my Android device is to have full control of the OS. With Android you're granting yourself SU, which is Superuser Permissions. This is no different than having Administrators access on your PC. The other reason is to take screenshots, in order to take screenshots of the device, you need root access. Not all devices need root access to take screenshots, but most do.
    Another big thing on rooting is the ability to make backups/restores right on the device itself. A backup backs up EVERYTHING right on the memory card. Settings, apps, everything. Basically takes a snapshot of your device.
    01-17-11 01:49 PM
    Another big thing on rooting is the ability to make backups/restores right on the device itself. A backup backs up EVERYTHING right on the memory card. Settings, apps, everything. Basically takes a snapshot of your device.
    I agree, I use Titanium Backup PRO for this...
    01-17-11 01:51 PM
    I agree, I use Titanium Backup PRO for this...
    Oh and using your phone as a hotspot for free
    01-17-11 01:52 PM
    And there you go. Messaging on Android does not suck, it just sucks for you. So why the general statement?

Oh and BTW, you can pretty much customize it to the point where it is almost exactly like your BB.
    Exactly. I even have all the same Alert and Notification sounds from my BB on my HTC. The only thing I don't have is the BerryBuzz LED colors for my LED light.
    01-17-11 01:56 PM

Sooo, what happens if somebody steals your memory card?

01-17-11 01:58 PM
    Oh and using your phone as a hotspot for free
    Which if you've got a device running Froyo right out of the box doesn't require to be rooted to enjoy this feature.

Just the other day..my buddy who's a real estate agent and just recently switched from Storm to HTC had their internet go down in the whole office..which left pretty much all the other agents without access on their laptops and work computers. He was able to use the Hotspot for wireless internet..and his co-worker in the next office over was able to boost off his signal as well to get some work done.
    01-17-11 02:01 PM
    @avt - I don't own an Android, I'm basing my comments on what I see others around me having to do. *I* don't own one.
    I made the statements about where I work because privacy is an issue with Google. It simply is. And the research conducted by the my tech people confirmed the fact that it is a vulnerable OS. It simply is.

Why so certain that the platform is perfect for everyone? As you are fond of saying, Android is not for everyone. It's not for me. I want the device to be an afterthought to my day, not a significant component of it. It's a tool, not a relationship.

And no, I will not buy a device to try it out unless it interests me. Why would I put myself through that nuisance? I observe others, hear from others and if it interests me, I buy it for myself.

And by the way, read what what you quoted from me. I clearly said that the platform is not for me. You choose what you want and use it in good health. I don't need to buy it also. By that reasoning, only after I buy a car or a house I can decide whether I like it or not? No - you do prelim work. My prelim is to use others' experiences and make my own observation.
    01-17-11 02:02 PM
    Which if you've got a device running Froyo right out of the box doesn't require to be rooted to enjoy this feature.

Just the other day..my buddy who's a real estate agent and just recently switched from Storm to HTC had their internet go down in the whole office..which left pretty much all the other agents without access on their laptops and work computers. He was able to use the Hotspot for wireless internet..and his co-worker in the next office over was able to boost off his signal as well to get some work done.
    To use it for free? Yes you do need to be rooted.
    01-17-11 02:04 PM
    Sooo, what happens if somebody steals your memory card?

Luckily since I'm smart, I have my backup files in other places. I used to do the same thing when I backed up my BB on my computer. I still put the files on my memory card and usb flash drives. I don't necessarily always have to have it on my memory card.

If some moron doesn't do that, then he's screwed.
    01-17-11 02:06 PM
    To use it for free? Yes you do need to be rooted.
    Hmm..perhaps. I'm not sure if Canadian carriers charge extra for the wireless tethering or not tbh. If they aren't i'm sure at some point they will be.
    01-17-11 02:08 PM
    Hmm..perhaps. I'm not sure if Canadian carriers charge extra for the wireless tethering or not tbh. If they aren't i'm sure at some point they will be.
    Yeah. Hotspot even works on 2.1 on some devices. Maybe the Canadian carriers don't charge extra for using hotspot. They certainly do here though.
    01-17-11 02:10 PM
    . I don't give a **** what your family, friends and coworkers say. Until YOU own the device, use it and make these opinions based off of your experience, all you are doing is ranting and assuming things based off of other peoples opinions.

And not all Android users are "robots". Just like not all BB users are tools.
    Really....we're not sitting around having coffee discussing these devices while I'm at work. Maybe you didn't read....I was basing it on a presentation to management about Android, iOS and BB, to see if any of the tablets could be used in a sandbox. So....using what I learned at work to reaffirm my personal observations. We all do that. We all learnn in different places. D@mn, one person assumes I only listen to people on the forum, and when I explain there was actual analysis another complains because I use work experiences....sheesh...

as far as ranting....a dissenting opinion to all the trolling is ranting? what about the ranting that all the trolls post every single day? C'mon, avt....
    01-17-11 02:10 PM
    "But simply, based on the observation of what others have to do...."

This statement screams ignorance.

Let's say you observe someone shooting a firearm....do you then know whether it's good or not? Do you then know how to operate it efficiently?

Lets be more practical....let's say you observe a doctor treating a patient....do you know whether the doctor is doing a good job or not? Do you then know how to treat a patient?

Let's be even more practical.....lets say you observe someone driving a car with a manual gear box...do you know whether or not the car is good? Do you then know how to operate it efficiently?

The point is...

Doing something > observing something

Experiencing something for yourself > reading about someone elses experience.

You also said "to communicate at half the efficiency of a BB"

How exactly are you measuring efficiency? Comparing their messaging abilities to that of your own? You know kid that won some award for being the fastest texter in the world? Compared to him your efficiency blows....and if memory serves he was using a feature phone...

If a BB does what "you want" how "you want it done" then that's fantastic and I'm actually happy for you...and I'm being sincere. But does that in anyway make BB a better phone than any other phone. Of course not.

howarmat and JoelTruckerDude like this.
    01-17-11 02:17 PM
284 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD