Blackberries aren't totally dependent on RIM?

News to me... ...
    About as much as iPhones are totally dependent on Apple. So?

And I don't care to have my information sold to companies in the manner that Google does. Really, the feds would consider iOS, but run away the instant you mention Android. Google's lapses in privacy are legendary.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 01-17-11 at 07:41 AM.
    01-17-11 07:38 AM

News to me... ...
    Actually they're not, for some bizarre reason, maybe cost, a lot of people are using their blackberrys without bis or bes, wap and hotspot browsers still work, plenty other apps work with wap connection and logic mail takes care of email.
    I'll always think a blackberry is crippled without bis or bes but a lot of people seem to disagree.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-17-11 07:44 AM
    so you basically admit to starting a thread just to troll?
    What's the matter? Dish it but can't take it? considering the number of idiotic robots posting smack around here I think it's appropriate to post some anti-robot threads once in a while.
    What's wrong? Goes against the programming?
    I must say, the software is really good to have little robots who can practice this level of hypocrisy.
    01-17-11 07:46 AM
    You're at the mercy of BIS/BES pat yourself on the back
    Neither BIS nor BES sell my information.
    01-17-11 07:48 AM
    Why is this mercy? I know that since I'm on att and not using a bes that I'm on a bis, but I don't feel any in slavement. I have a yahoo mail addr. My mail comes and go flawlessly. I have complete control over my phone as to how I interface it etc. I have no problems with any kind of messages sms, mms, email etc. If this is mercy. I love it.

Don't bother.....their little robotic programming tells them to spout forth this kind of drivel...

GZ....RAM....blah....blah....screen resolution.....blah....blah....analytical thought? does not compute.....blah....blah.....
    dhyde79 and Ferretling like this.
    01-17-11 07:51 AM
    I have two words for you:

BIS Outage

Hardly....happens.....

Google selling information about my browsing habits.....

CONSTANT

01-17-11 07:53 AM

News to me... ...
    RIM does not Store my emails on site,
    Google does
    RIM does not log my information to deliver me advertisements
    Google does

That is the total dependence, beyond just providing the service to my mobile phone RIM has not part of my personal information
    Google controls everything, if Google were to become NURV, it already has years of emails, people documents stores in their GoogleDocs, and has access to their phones.

now with all this paranoia, I still do use some google products.

but they are in no way like RIM
    01-17-11 07:54 AM
    Neither BIS nor BES sell my information.
    Actually, as proved in some countries around the world, you'd have to go trough A LOT of trouble to get any info from Rim

01-17-11 07:55 AM
    For all of you talking about outages....don't confuse carrier outages with NOC outages. RIM can't control carrier outages.

And while it is true that anyone can get hacked, I'd like for those who say that to provide a comparison of iPhone hacks, Android hacks and Blackberry hacks. And don't give the same old tired crap about hackers not being interested in RIM....that's a cop out. There is no way to prove causality in that argument.
    01-17-11 07:58 AM
    RIM does not Store my emails on site,
    Google does
    RIM does not log my information to deliver me advertisements
    Google does

That is the total dependence, beyond just providing the service to my mobile phone RIM has not part of my personal information
    Google controls everything, if Google were to become NURV, it already has years of emails, people documents stores in their GoogleDocs, and has access to their phones.

now with all this paranoia, I still do use some google products.

but they are in no way like RIM
    Oh yes, remember a while back when your google docks were gonna show in google search overnight unless you changed the privacy settings? I stopped using google docks there and then. My work spreadsheets in google search, no thanks google.

01-17-11 07:58 AM
    What's the matter? Dish it but can't take it? considering the number of idiotic robots posting smack around here I think it's appropriate to post some anti-robot threads once in a while.
    What's wrong? Goes against the programming?
    I must say, the software is really good to have little robots who can practice this level of hypocrisy.
    What do the average Android users here say that's not accurate? BB's have slower processors, older hardware, an older boring (to some) OS, long boot times, truncated email, low file attachment size for email, no PDF reader (free) that can read PDF files from the media card, etc.

Saying Android OS requires faster hardware is silly, unless you can prove a Java OS is somehow more efficient than a Linux based one.

I have no problem if folks want to point out the deficiencies of Androids, iPhones, etc, but how about basing it on facts and reality.
    01-17-11 08:00 AM
    If there is a segment of mobile users who are ridiculous are these little robotic trolls. Unfortunately they are allowed to post whatever they want here. So.....you take the robotic idiocy, discount it for what it is, and move on to something useful.

Actually, I find it strangely entertaining. Like watching a Goliath bullfrog hunt...grotesque but entertaining.
    01-17-11 08:04 AM
    What do the average Android users here say that's not accurate? BB's have slower processors, older hardware, an older boring (to some) OS, long boot times, truncated email, low file attachment size for email, no PDF reader (free) that can read PDF files from the media card, etc.

Saying Android OS requires faster hardware is silly, unless you can prove a Java OS is somehow more efficient than a Linux based one.

I have no problem if folks want to point out the deficiencies of Androids, iPhones, etc, but how about basing it on facts and reality.

Reality - over powering to the point to where battery life is a joke, fragmentations that makes upgrades a nightmare, choppiness that does not even come close to an iPhone, privacy concerns to the point that the feds won't even consider it....reminds me of a bunch of teenagers over powering their muscle cars on Saturday mornings to do something as mundane as drive to school.

And communications are ridiculous. I've looked at the mail management in Android and it's sad in comparison to BB or iOS.

If RIM goes under as the haters are so happily predicting I will go iOS. But if you gave me a free Android device I'd sell it to get myself either a BB or an iPhone.

I personally detest Android.
    01-17-11 08:15 AM
    If there is a segment of mobile users who are ridiculous are these little robotic trolls. Unfortunately they are allowed to post whatever they want here. So.....you take the robotic idiocy, discount it for what it is, and move on to something useful.

Actually, I find it strangely entertaining. Like watching a Goliath bullfrog hunt...grotesque but entertaining.
    So now people are just supposed to turn a blind eye when they see something that can be improved on and are vocal about it? Perhaps we should all just be meek little sheep and take what we are given without discontent. Those that voice discontent are now robotic idiots? I think you've worked for the government too long. Heaven forbid anybody voice displeasure.

It's a consumer's world. As consumers..we have the choice to like or dislike ANY product..and be vocal about it. Deal with it. Perhaps if RIM stepped up and addressed their shortcomings..there wouldnt be so many "idiotic robots" voicing displeasure.
    01-17-11 08:15 AM

May of the Android users with all these claims have not use OS6

Yes the OS looks a lot like OS5, but it has many advancements and features, boot times are greatly improved, often sub 60 seconds, in some cases sub 30 seconds,

there is as much miss information being spread about RIM products as there is about Google products.

I don't agree with the thread. but I also don't agree with the way Android users have basically taken this site and decided that the motto is now
    #1 for Blackberry Users, and user Abusers.

Look how fast Android Entered the thread about not dumping blackberry for an iPhone
    01-17-11 08:16 AM
    It's a consumer's world. As consumers..we have the choice to like or dislike ANY product..and be vocal about it. Deal with it. Perhaps if RIM stepped up and addressed their shortcomings..there wouldnt be so many "idiotic robots" voicing displeasure.
    Deal with it on a RIM run board!

Deal with it by not purchasing RIM products

Deal with it by telling your Carrier you want a Blackberry that does XYZ

don't deal with it by belittling people because they like their blackberry (not directed at you,)

I am happy Crackberry isn't a heavily moderated forum, but it is becoming a battle ground on a daily basis
    buwee, Witmen and Chronos88 like this.
    01-17-11 08:20 AM
    Yes the OS looks a lot like OS5, but it has many advancements and features, boot times are greatly improved, often sub 60 seconds, in some cases sub 30 seconds,
    Ummm..no. 2mins and 40 seconds with my Torch (yes..i timed it..ALOT). Sub 3mins..which was great coming from the 5mins boot times with my Storm. But sub 30seconds is ridiculous. Sure..you might get sub 30 seconds if you just power off and power back on..but that's not a reboot.
    01-17-11 08:20 AM
    Ummm..no. 2mins and 40 seconds with my Torch (yes..i timed it..ALOT). Sub 3mins..which was great coming from the 5mins boot times with my Storm. But sub 30seconds is ridiculous. Sure..you might get sub 30 seconds if you just power off and power back on..but that's not a reboot.
    what do you have running on your torch?
    I am waiting about 60 seconds after a battery pull to when I can send my first email
    01-17-11 08:23 AM
    Deal with it on a RIM run board!
    Actually..this is the biggest BB site running as far as i've heard..and from what "insiders" say...RIM does actually have people on this forum "taking notes" so to speak. So what better place to voice displeasure (including BB's actually site of course).
    01-17-11 08:24 AM
    what do you have running on your torch?
    I am waiting about 60 seconds after a battery pull to when I can send my first email
    Even right from day one running .246 it was around 3mins. It got a little quicker running .337 and a bit more with my hybrid on it. But 60 seconds? I'm going to need to see a Youtube link of that. I'm not saying your lying..but if that's the case then there are severe discrepencies between phones.
    01-17-11 08:26 AM
    I am happy Crackberry isn't a heavily moderated forum, but it is becoming a battle ground on a daily basis
    A battleground yes, but the question is "Why is it becoming a battleground?". It isn't like this on Android or iPhone forums (Nowhere near to this extent anyway.). The level of dissatisfaction of RIM is skyrocketing, that's why.
    Rickroller and howarmat like this.
    01-17-11 08:27 AM
    So now people are just supposed to turn a blind eye when they see something that can be improved on and are vocal about it? Perhaps we should all just be meek little sheep and take what we are given without discontent. Those that voice discontent are now robotic idiots? I think you've worked for the government too long. Heaven forbid anybody voice displeasure.

By all means, voice your discontent. And I will voice my discontent at the ridiculous notion that all consumers want the same thing.

The market is varied and not everyone desires an overpowered Android device. For those of us who use it as the tool to maintain us in touch, get us through our day, and perform whatever financial or business functions we want the overpowered phone is not a requirement nor is it inherently desired.

If what you want are the biggest specs possible on a spec sheet then go at it. But to paint a broad brush and decide that all devices must be have the same specs is short sighted. *My* dissatisfaction is not in the Android users wanting what they want, it's in their attempt to decide for everyone what a device should have. I don't *want* the latest over muscled device, I want what works for me and gets me through my day. You care about specs, I care about communication. You care about resolution, I care about battery life. You care about gaming, I care about privacy.

The market is diverse. Not everyone wants the same things.
    01-17-11 08:28 AM
    Even right from day one running .246 it was around 3mins. It got a little quicker running .337 and a bit more with my hybrid on it. But 60 seconds? I'm going to need to see a Youtube link of that. I'm not saying your lying..but if that's the case then there are severe discrepencies between phones.
    You must have memory cleaning enabled, that doubles if not triples the reboot time.

Rickroller likes this.
    01-17-11 08:31 AM
    Reality - over powering to the point to where battery life is a joke, fragmentations that makes upgrades a nightmare, choppiness that does not even come close to an iPhone, privacy concerns to the point that the feds won't even consider it....reminds me of a bunch of teenagers over powering their muscle cars on Saturday mornings to do something as mundane as drive to school.
    It is surely the best OS/platform for anyone who wants total control over their device. My battery life is just fine thanks. I got 9 hours out of it yesterday for example with a ton of web browsing (full HTML), and the screen on at least 75% of the time. That's a little better than I could get from my Tour doing the same activities except the Tour had to be used on WAP due to its' sub par browser, and it has a much smaller screen and processor. That is with both devices using their respective standard battery. Oh yes, it is true, Tour never got me a full day, so I was already used to charging in the middle of the day, so that's a non issue...

BB devices aren't fragmented? Some still run OS 4.x, some run OS 5, some OS6, and some devices that are capable haven't even received OS6 yet. The Tour was a case of a device that shouldn't have even happened. OS 5 is a case of an OS that shouldn't have even happened.

Does iOS allow for real multitasking these days or are you still limited to one app at a time other than music? That used to be their strategy for avoiding choppiness, it seems. Just curious if they still do that or if they allow things to run in the background now.

And communications are ridiculous. I've looked at the mail management in Android and it's sad in comparison to BB or iOS.
    That's the fun part about Android. If you don't like the stock client, switch to a different one, there are plenty out there. At least with the Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo accounts you can browse your folders without having to login to the web based form. Try that with BIS, another thing in terrible need of an upgrade besides the devices themselves.

If RIM goes under as the haters are so happily predicting I will go iOS. But if you gave me a free Android device I'd sell it to get myself either a BB or an iPhone.

I personally detest Android.
    I don't think anybody wants to see RIM go under. I just want them to take big enough losses that it acts as a slap in the face and they realize "hey if we're going to pretend we're in the consumer market, let's put out some real consumer devices."

Competition is a good thing, it drives innovation. When there are multiple competitors in a given market, we, the consumers, win.
    01-17-11 08:31 AM
    By all means, voice your discontent. And I will voice my discontent at the ridiculous notion that all consumers want the same thing.

The market is varied and not everyone desires an overpowered Android device. For those of us who use it as the tool to maintain us in touch, get us through our day, and perform whatever financial or business functions we want the overpowered phone is not a requirement nor is it inherently desired.

If what you want are the biggest specs possible on a spec sheet then go at it. But to paint a broad brush and decide that all devices must be have the same specs is short sighted. *My* dissatisfaction is not in the Android users wanting what they want, it's in their attempt to decide for everyone what a device should have. I don't *want* the latest over muscled device, I want what works for me and gets me through my day. You care about specs, I care about communication. You care about resolution, I care about battery life. You care about gaming, I care about privacy.

The market is diverse. Not everyone wants the same things.
    +1. I agree with most of your statement..other than painting Android users with the same brush. Just because people use Android doesnt make them only care about gaming and resolution. The reason why I even put down my Torch to try out Android was because the browser was still slow on alot of the full web pages I was using on a regular basis, and scrolling thru my photos was a "laggy" adventure..especially when zooming in on photos. Other than that..I was totally happy with my Torch. But I knew these issues were processor related..and so I went to see what another platform was like. I'm open to new experiences..and I like to tinker with my phones. Yes..security isn't a huge issue..because I have nothing to hide. The only time i've used Google was to sync my contacts on my new phone. I never use Gmail..and still use my regular POP3 accounts which still deliver emails in a timely fashion.

It's a crazy transition in the smartphone world right now..where tech is advancing faster than users can keep up with. Until that settle down..sites like this are going to be filled with "mine is better than yours" mentality unfortunately (from some people).
    01-17-11 08:38 AM
284 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD