I was browsing a mobile phone forum here in the UK and came across one of those usual posts where someone, quite rightly, is asking for help in which phone they should choose as they are due for upgrade. Many people helpfully pitched in, across all platforms, but this comment really made me think:

'I've got a stock Nexus 4 with the latest updates but it does need to be re-booted every now and then and still has some stability issues but I can live with them.'

Why? Why should this person have to live with needing to reboot his Nexus 4? They've paid hundreds of pounds (even more dollars) buying into the promises of (in this case) the Nexus 4.

I have a Z10 on 10.1. It is bloody great and does what it is supposed to. No reboots required, no crashes. But, only 6 months ago I was on BB07 which couldn't handle updating more than 1 app at a time without crashing so this is no rose tinted BB specs. I was waiting for BB10 to fall over too and for me to have to work around it as per the comment above, it just hasn't, which is great and a first, to be honest!

Reading through more phone forums it would seem that this requirement for users of whatever platform to have to bend over backwards to accommodate the inadequacy of their suppliers is more than widespread. Why should anyone put up with a phone that doesn't actually work and needs rebooting when all the user has done is believe the supplier as to the capabilities of the phone AND PAID THEM MONEY to do so?

We're all guilty of workarounds (especially those of us who stayed loyal to BB07 - thank God for BB10!) but I ask again, why do we all (BB/Android/Windows/iPhone) put up with this? Are we all just frustrated techies who want to do these peoples jobs for them?

Or are we all suckers for the over promise and under deliver?
    Qaxl likes this.
    07-12-13 05:39 PM
    If I may, I attribute alot of this to peer pressure and the need to be accepted. No, I'm not kidding. It is human nature and for some dealing with inconvenience is a small price to pay to be "one of the guys," so to speak.
    00stryder and bigglybobblyboo like this.
    07-12-13 05:48 PM
    My Z10 works awesome.Get one.

BB Z10 rocks.
    07-12-13 05:51 PM
    If I may, I attribute alot of this to peer pressure and the need to be accepted. No, I'm not kidding. It is human nature and for some dealing with inconvenience is a small price to pay to be "one of the guys," so to speak.
    Wow, well, in that case I'm glad to be part of the Z10 revolution as, from what I'm reading, BB are rapidly putting together an extremely stable platform which has already only got better with time whereas the others don't seem to be doing much.

From what I'm reading I'm very glad I didn't ditch my old Torch in the second half of last year and go to Android/iPhone and waited for BB10..
    07-12-13 06:07 PM
    My Z10 works awesome.Get one.

BB Z10 rocks.
    I've got one baby!
    07-12-13 06:08 PM
    I was browsing a mobile phone forum here in the UK and came across one of those usual posts where someone, quite rightly, is asking for help in which phone they should choose as they are due for upgrade. Many people helpfully pitched in, across all platforms, but this comment really made me think:

'I've got a stock Nexus 4 with the latest updates but it does need to be re-booted every now and then and still has some stability issues but I can live with them.'

Why? Why should this person have to live with needing to reboot his Nexus 4? They've paid hundreds of pounds (even more dollars) buying into the promises of (in this case) the Nexus 4.

I have a Z10 on 10.1. It is bloody great and does what it is supposed to. No reboots required, no crashes. But, only 6 months ago I was on BB07 which couldn't handle updating more than 1 app at a time without crashing so this is no rose tinted BB specs. I was waiting for BB10 to fall over too and for me to have to work around it as per the comment above, it just hasn't, which is great and a first, to be honest!

Reading through more phone forums it would seem that this requirement for users of whatever platform to have to bend over backwards to accommodate the inadequacy of their suppliers is more than widespread. Why should anyone put up with a phone that doesn't actually work and needs rebooting when all the user has done is believe the supplier as to the capabilities of the phone AND PAID THEM MONEY to do so?

We're all guilty of workarounds (especially those of us who stayed loyal to BB07 - thank God for BB10!) but I ask again, why do we all (BB/Android/Windows/iPhone) put up with this? Are we all just frustrated techies who want to do these peoples jobs for them?

Or are we all suckers for the over promise and under deliver?
    I am assuming its got something to do with Android and its open nature, i am also assuming that iphones dont have to be rebooted as often as androids.
    if i were to make a sort of list of my perception of reboots it would go as follows

BB Legacy OS > Android > iPhones > BB10 > Windows Phone 8 > Non Smartphones

I think technology has come a long way in smartphones, in a very short time, even though it feels likes we have always had great smartphones, it has really been only a few years.

To put it into perspective look at Computers and Microsoft Operating Systems

I started off with MS-DOS never experienced any crashes
    Then came Mouse and Keyboard Windows 3.1 still no crashes
    Then MS Windows 95 and i hardly remember any crashes
    then Windows 98 an it started to show some cracks
    Windows ME dont remember much, quickly shifted over to XP
    Windows XP a cacophony of errors, crashes, malicious viruses Yet also a whole lot better than anything before it
    Windows Vista, might not have been a hit, but they fixed alot of issues in terms of stability.
    Windows 7 rock solid experience, almost perfect.
    Windows 8, some might not like the Metro, but i enjoy it, and its pretty much perfect on the desktop side, never crashes, no errors silky smooth.

So i think that smartphones have crossed the teary XP just now, and heading towards software nirvana slowly but surely.
    It will take time, but we will get there soon enough, who gets there first is till to be seen
    bigglybobblyboo likes this.
    07-12-13 06:22 PM
    But, and here's the thing, could it be that BB10.1 (at least) is the new XP/Win 7?

BTW, can't stand Win 8, too many UI changes! But that's another story...
    07-12-13 06:28 PM
    Don't cry for Android users. They at least have a vibrant ecosystem that can alleviate the pain of reboots.
    TgeekB likes this.
    07-12-13 06:45 PM
    if they have to reboot their nexus 4 often they have some crappy app loaded on it. I very rarely reboot mine except when loading a rom or kernel. Maybe once a week. My Z is probably about the same.
    Saiga likes this.
    07-12-13 07:44 PM
    To be fair, us BB10 users also have to contend with workarounds as well. Most of us don't have repeated random rebooting issues, but there are other areas where we do find the need to compromise, be it with features/functionality previously promised but not yet implemented (Wifi Direct, headless apps), or missing app/game support (Netflix, Instagram, Candy Crush, etc.) Each user is faced with different compromises depending on which features they personally use, but the compromise is still there.

I think for as long as smartphones and mobile devices are so deeply ingrained in our everyday lives, we'll continue to bend over backwards to the manufacturers/platform devs.

Posted via CB10 on my white Z10 & lovin' it!
    07-12-13 08:03 PM
    Don't cry for Android users. They at least have a vibrant ecosystem that can alleviate the pain of reboots.
    speaking of which, tasker is awesome. I used it to reboot my android in the middle of the night and then preload some apps - so it looked like it never rebooted.

as for acceptable? it's not, but people are lazy and it's a lot of work migrating phones.
    07-12-13 08:42 PM
    speaking of which, tasker is awesome. I used it to reboot my android in the middle of the night and then preload some apps - so it looked like it never rebooted.

as for acceptable? it's not, but people are lazy and it's a lot of work migrating phones.
    I love by Tasker. It is the definition of an anchor app for me.
    07-12-13 08:47 PM
    if they have to reboot their nexus 4 often they have some crappy app loaded on it. I very rarely reboot mine except when loading a rom or kernel. Maybe once a week. My Z is probably about the same.
    Same here, I can't recall a situation where I have needed to reboot because of performance issues, but I reboot it every now and then right before I go to sleep just because.

My Nexus 4 is rooted and I have a reboot app, push a icon, select what I want to boot into and about 30 seconds later it is ready for me to enter my password. It is so fast and easy, that I just do it randomly when I think about it.

Not a big deal at all and I'm kinda surprised to hear of someone making a big stink out of 30 seconds of down time on their Phone per week.

Maybe you're right, and they have a app screwing something up.

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    07-12-13 08:55 PM