Enough pixels already! TVs, tablets, phones surpass limits of human vision, experts say - News - MSN CA

This topic has been debated long and hard in the forums, Hd or not Hd, more pixel or less pixels.
    I thought I'd restart the debate, seeing as how Samsung and others are trying to sell the public on even greater res phones and Tv's.

If the experts are saying we can't tell the difference, how is the public still being tricked in to believing they can?
    ibpluto likes this.
    12-15-13 10:29 PM
    One word: Marketing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    m1kr0, rizdragon, ezrunner and 5 others like this.
    12-15-13 10:37 PM
    One word: Marketing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bingo.
    12-15-13 11:00 PM
    Bigger number = better

Sent from my Z30
    12-15-13 11:14 PM
    Idk though if I see a note 3 side by side with a Z30 there is a huge difference.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-13 01:17 AM
    Idk though if I see a note 3 side by side with a Z30 there is a huge difference.

Posted via CB10
    Don't confuse color vibrancy, warm or cool tones or saturation with pixel density.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    eldricho, FSeverino, web99 and 2 others like this.
    12-16-13 01:22 AM

Posted via CB10
    The thing is though, it's a big difference to you. To your eyes. Your eyes might prefer a completely different screen set up than mine, and the difference you see is just that. It's what settings have been selected for that display, at that time, in that ambient lighting, etc.

I'm pretty firmly on the side of the big numbers don't mean better after a certain point. It's just gimick.

Visit Geek Lite
    12-16-13 01:26 AM
    The thing is though, it's a big difference to you. To your eyes. Your eyes might prefer a completely different screen set up than mine, and the difference you see is just that. It's what settings have been selected for that display, at that time, in that ambient lighting, etc.

I'm pretty firmly on the side of the big numbers don't mean better after a certain point. It's just gimick.

Visit Geek Lite
    Well considering I can still see jaggedy edges on the Z30 browser icon, in my opinion the Z30 is not up to snuff. The screen resolution is pretty poor

Posted via CB10
    12-16-13 03:19 AM
    Well, if you ask me, 4K is 4K, 1080p is 1080p and so on and so forth. These technical terms are what they are, because they are simply the exact specifications for the levels of resolutions one can get on any particular display. If you are Samsung, you can't sell your 1080p HDTV as a 4K resolution TV because it just isn't that resolution, and by telling it otherwise is lying. You can't do that in Marketing, you can't say you have something you don't.

Now, some companies twist these terms to their benefit by saying they have 4K resolution and therefore you should choose their product over a 1080p product, and rightly so. But few people really know what 4K holds in terms of real benefits outside of it having more pixels. They are naturally gravitated to products with higher resolutions but most of the time they never really consider if it's necessary. Companies like Samsung know this and they soon throw out these numbers in an effort to impress people.

It's an easy way to gain an audience...
    12-16-13 04:55 AM
    Well considering I can still see jaggedy edges on the Z30 browser icon, in my opinion the Z30 is not up to snuff. The screen resolution is pretty poor

Posted via CB10
    are you sure its a pixel related issue, or its because originally the icon wasn't even developed with high res in mind?
    Toodeurep likes this.
    12-16-13 05:05 AM

Posted via CB10
    Don't compare the icons, that is scaling and 100% BBs fault. Open a picture or an app to do a fair comparison. It may not suit your eye that way either but at least you didn't let the icon scaling issue trick you.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-16-13 05:06 AM
    In the end, whatever sells will end up being "who's right". Demand drives the supply.
    12-16-13 05:08 AM
    Oh, you youngsters with your perfect eyesight and hi-res screens!......
    12-16-13 06:36 AM
    Here's another viewpoint (pun intended): What is the highest resolution humans can distinguish?

If Paul King is right, then 340 ppi at 10" distance from the eyes is about the maximum discernible resolution.

Personally, I don't hold my smartphone that close to my eyes. I tend to hold it about 14" away. I haven't done the math, but I'd guess about 300 ppi would be about right at that distance. And since my eyes are 60 years old, I could probably do fine with less. In fact, not too long ago I had a Samsung Galaxy Blaze 4G for about six months, with 235 ppi. I never had any problem reading text or enjoying pictures on that phone.
    12-16-13 09:04 AM
    It's like the camera megapixel war all over again. They're trying to sell the idea that more is better.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    12-16-13 09:10 AM
    There are things that you need more pixels for, but the majority of mobile devices aren't those things.

For example, a graphic designer can tell the difference when using a higher resolution screen to do design work. But, that type of work usually isn't done on phones or tablets.

I upgraded my monitor from 21-24 inches, which is a 3 inch difference. Not the biggest difference (a 27 would have been sweet)... but, the extra space PLUS the higher resolution meant there were A LOT more pixels on the screen. it was like a whole new world was opened up to me, but again, this was in terms of the amount of information that could go on the screen and NOT how well the colours appear. Between the two monitors (both LG) I cannot tell any difference when watching video playback from my bed (about 5 ft away). I also can barely distinguish the difference when using photoshop.

I guess it is all relative. It isnt so much the question of 'do we need it?' but rather 'do we know it is there?'

Those questions are different. For example I would say that we do NEED higher resolutions as tech advances, only to better display all the information that is becoming available. However, I would also say that we don't necessarily know, or can tell, the difference. Slight improvements are hard to distinguish, but putting my 1080p 24 monitor against my first ever commodore 64 unit is night and day.

We will never get great improvements unless we take small steps

Posted via CB10
    12-16-13 09:29 AM
    With my eyesight I'm happy if I can see squiggles in the screen.....

Yah sometimes too much of a good thing is too much. Or becomes pointless.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-16-13 09:55 AM
    WTF 40,000$ for a TV??

Z30 : No more peasants battery life
    12-16-13 10:09 AM
    I'm very nearsighted and have a habit of reading on my phone in bed. People who are nearsighted can actually hold a phone about six inches from their eyes and comfortably read or watch video without their glasses. I see every pixel. I couldn't wait to upgrade my iPad Mini to one with a Retina Display.
    Last edited by heymaggie; 12-16-13 at 11:10 AM.
    12-16-13 10:26 AM

Posted via CB10
    I've read this complaint before.

Has anyone checked if the icons on the Z30 are displayed 1:1 with their size on the Z10? I mean, the two have the same resolution vertically (but the Z30 is narrower in width), just spread out more on the slightly larger screen of the 30. So the icons on the 30 should be the same percentage bigger as the screen size difference per inch.

Yet, they fit a fifth row of icons on the 30. That means something got smaller relative to the screen pixels.

Does the OS use a whole other icon set for the Z30? Or does it use the same one as the Z10 and just scale them down slightly.

I don't have a Z30, so I can't see for myself, but it seems to me that if scaling is going on, that can result in the jagginess more than the resolution of the screen.

A more revealing aspect would be the quality of the text under the icons.

I'll have to check out some previously posted screen shots of the Z30 as any scaling related jagginess would be seen there too. I'd have to check a 1:1 image capture on my PC. I usually read the forum on my Z10, so such screen shots posted in the forums display much too small on my screen to notice anything.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-13 10:58 AM