I laughed out loud at this statement. How is going from a secure, solid dependable device to a cheesy, overhyped, terribly buggy and non-dependable toy considered anything else other than hopping on the bandwagon? The Droid is a fad, plain and simple. People feel the necessity to follow the flock of sheep to the latest craze, even though it's nowhere near up to the standards it claims, they fool themselves into believing it just to feel superior. Pretty sad actually.
    I understand you did not like the statement you quoted, but this statement you made is even more ridiculous.

It sounds to me like you know nothing about Android. Yes, around BB people who also know nothing this may be funny, but for those who have experienced it all, you sound extremely unintelligent.

It is not a fad. It is not extremely buggy. There is no bandwagon. My device is extremely dependable and reliable and the build quality is outstanding.

Before you start sounding like a bigger fanboy than the one you are quoting, think.
    06-30-10 12:03 PM
    Agreed. The problem here is that people refuse to accept that fact that every individual has individual needs and wants, and that what is supposedly the latest and greatest really isn't considered the latest and greatest by everyone. What's worse is the fools that comment how BB users are "falling behind" or "stubborn" if they stick with their devices. If they have absolutely no use for anything else offered on newer phones, what's the point?
    exactly!! very well said.
    06-30-10 01:10 PM
    exactly!!!!!!
    And that is why your missing out!
    06-30-10 03:12 PM
    And that is why your missing out!
    missing out on what? Droidpoop?
    06-30-10 03:17 PM
    I understand you did not like the statement you quoted, but this statement you made is even more ridiculous.

It sounds to me like you know nothing about Android. Yes, around BB people who also know nothing this may be funny, but for those who have experienced it all, you sound extremely unintelligent.

It is not a fad. It is not extremely buggy. There is no bandwagon. My device is extremely dependable and reliable and the build quality is outstanding.

Before you start sounding like a bigger fanboy than the one you are quoting, think.
    I agree! Secure? Just because the Android is and Open OS does not mean it isn't secured. To even really try to break the OS you need Root. And some of the people don't really know how hard that is. Someone else on this thread said buggy apps, like BB doesn't have any? and most of our apps run solid. The newer generation of Droid phones are awesome. It would take a miracle for me to go back to BB. That OS 6 may run better and have new features but it looks exactly the same. If Android is anything like Linux OS and how it changes. We know Android will change also.
    06-30-10 03:17 PM
    It kinda reminds me of the whole windows vs Mac debate. 'Mac is better', 'Windows is buggy' etc. , but in the end of the day, nothing an apple computer did or does beats the flexibility in hardware and software PCs had since windows Xp.
    And I'm sure some Mac users couldn't care less, that I can slap a new GPU in, reboot and act like nothing ever happened, but that's why there are different things for different people.
    On topic though, Android seems like it's still in it's infancy, I would love to see how far it goes. You do have to admit, it changed the game, if for nothing else than the competitors (RIm, Apple) running to improve their own offerings.
    07-01-10 08:47 AM
    I agree! Secure? Just because the Android is and Open OS does not mean it isn't secured. To even really try to break the OS you need Root. And some of the people don't really know how hard that is. Someone else on this thread said buggy apps, like BB doesn't have any? and most of our apps run solid. The newer generation of Droid phones are awesome. It would take a miracle for me to go back to BB. That OS 6 may run better and have new features but it looks exactly the same. If Android is anything like Linux OS and how it changes. We know Android will change also.
    Android... secure? Maybe the logo isn't the only thing green around you:

Report: Be aware of Android Apps - ZDNet

jon.oberheide.org - blog - remote kill and install on google android

.:[ packet storm ]:. - http://packetstormsecurity.org/[search].x=0&[search].y=0

20 percent of Android apps are privacy threat, says security firm - Techworld.com

Also, Google can remotely delete applications/entire phone and force install applications from YOUR phone:

Slashdot Story | Google Has Android Remote App Install Power, Too

Google deletes two Android applications remotely

Even the browser has been known to have it's own set of problems:

Android Vulnerability So Dangerous, Owners Warned Not to Use Phone's Web Browser: Updated

The other HUGE problem with Android is all of the different builds, some NEVER getting security updates, and unable to update to fixed versions. You shouldn't have to deal with the choice of being slow (updating entire versions) or being secure (from updating, sometimes being near impossible, and most of the time not accessible for casual users/joe-public). It's sad that some phones CANNOT update to a secure enough version to stop the SMS vuln that was released almost a year ago.

In closing, hopefully at this years pwn2own (my first entry, as well as the first year mobile devices are involved in their own category) you will all see the security differences. It's just like the Mac fanboys telling me how secure osx and safari are, only to get CRUSHED, as the first exploited system/browser combo in 09'. The nice thing about BB is all the steps you'd have to go through to even remotely show an exploit by the time it gets to the phone. BES enabled BB's, even more-so. Hardened BB's, almost impossible.
    Last edited by Borborygm; 07-04-10 at 03:05 AM.
    07-04-10 02:55 AM
    "Jon Oberheide, the security researcher who developed the application that Google remotely removed from Android phones, noticed during his research that the Android OS includes a feature called INSTALL_ASSET that allows Google to remotely install applications on users' phones. 'I don't know what design decision they based that on. Maybe they just figured since they had the removal mechanism, it's easy to have the install mechanism too,' Oberheide said in an interview. 'I don't know if they've used it yet.'" -- from one of the articles

Install asset? Who else refers to their operatives as "assets", lol? Google/Android sounds a bit like the nanny state; it knows what's best for you.
    07-04-10 07:46 AM
    I already have come back from Android to BB. I was thinking about this situation and realized that on my Bold, I have everything that I need, AP news, email, tweeter, facebook, text, travel programs, Kindle, Weather programs, movie programs, navigation programs. What the heck do I need other than what I have? The only thing that is needed is a nice browser and that is coming. So other than a nice browser, what else does anyone really need with a cell phone? Staying with my BB which is fast, reliable and easy to use. Thats my story and I am sticking to it.
    07-09-10 12:38 PM
    I was actually really curious to open this thread as I am also a BB user who came back from android but this thread just turned into a pissing match. Everybody has needs and that's that, for whoever wants the new shiny object sure, Android will give you that but not everyone thinks they are the most productive devices either. I wrote 50 pages of a story I'm working on directly from my BB due to not having my laptop with me for a week and couldn't imagine ever doing that with an Android phone. I could be typing, switch to one hand and start drinking my coffee while my right hand is still typing. I have the apps I need right here (sports scores, Twitter, Docs to Go and a couple of others). For me this device is what I need and for you, maybe not, go for an Android if you prefer. But this thread has completely left the original topic and is just another argument thread. By the way, the above stated reasons are the reasons I came back to BB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-10 01:12 PM
    True droids are not secure at all because of their open platform and I do believe that BB's are way better, but the numbers don't lie. RIM lost almost 10% of the smartphone market over the past year since android got popular. Androids greatest strength (open platform) is also its greatest flaw.
    Not trying to start an argument, but in general systems that are open platform are more secure, with less security threats, and less viruses. For example open platform linux, much more secure than microsoft. Another example is Apples Mac OS, which underneath based on a very secure open source Unix. This is why Mac OS has never had major security issues compared to Windows, also rarely any viruses. When something is open, you have millions of people perfecting bugs, instead of depending on 1 company. This is the first time i've heard that open platform is less secure, generally it's the other way around.
    07-09-10 02:33 PM
    I am in the middle of a smart phone transition/upgrade. I've been using a Curve 8310 for the past 2+ years and for voice, text-emails its great, as we know the web is the weak link at least with this model.
    I considered a Bold 9000, and recently a 9700.

I also ordered an iphone 4 and a Nexus 1 to test out, the nexus came today but its 3g for T-Mobile ( I have AT&T), the iphone 4 is coming next week.

I'm unable to run more than edge with this Nexus which I have on my Curve so it will go back. I have a few Apple products, imac, macbook, apple tvs, ipods, so I'm thinking the iphone may be the easiest to transition to, but if i experience any of the issues I've seen and heard about back it goes. I heard Blutooth is a new issue that's been raised.

So I may be back to Blackberry also, and I'm guessing a 9700
    at this point is a better choice from a curve 8310 than a Bold 9000 will be?
    07-09-10 04:30 PM
    I am in the middle of a smart phone transition/upgrade. I've been using a Curve 8310 for the past 2+ years and for voice, text-emails its great, as we know the web is the weak link at least with this model.
    I considered a Bold 9000, and recently a 9700.

I also ordered an iphone 4 and a Nexus 1 to test out, the nexus came today but its 3g for T-Mobile ( I have AT&T), the iphone 4 is coming next week.

I'm unable to run more than edge with this Nexus which I have on my Curve so it will go back. I have a few Apple products, imac, macbook, apple tvs, ipods, so I'm thinking the iphone may be the easiest to transition to, but if i experience any of the issues I've seen and heard about back it goes. I heard Blutooth is a new issue that's been raised.

So I may be back to Blackberry also, and I'm guessing a 9700
    at this point is a better choice from a curve 8310 than a Bold 9000 will be?
    Why didn't you order an N1 with AT&T 3G bands?
    07-09-10 04:52 PM
    Why didn't you order an N1 with AT&T 3G bands?
    I was thinking the same thing.

07-09-10 04:56 PM
    I came back from Android. I had a Samsung Moment from Sprint for a week and hated it every moment. I wanted to return it the next day. It was completely rushed to market - had so many bugs associated with it, and it was not email friendly. I kicked myself for abandoning blackberry and went back and got the Tour 9630.
    07-09-10 06:48 PM
    I was also tempted to ditch my Storm2. But after playing with my brother's Incredible, I decided to stay. The Surepress technology is awesome for me and the instant messaging/emails is a must since I'm a business owner. Sure Android has a lot of glitzy widgets and apps. Which appeal to a lot of consumers. But later I realized, I was swipping and pressing to many times to get to a app. Like most cell UI, JUST place the most used icons on your homescreens, then, wala...your set. And yes Android has cool apps and games, but that's why I have an Xbox 360 for. RIMM just needs to put in a 1ghz Snapdragon processor and better browser, then I won't have that urge again to jump...oh, whats up with our reboot time also, ha, ha, ha
    07-09-10 07:18 PM
    " Originally Posted by avt123 View Post
    Why didn't you order an N1 with AT&T 3G bands?"

I was thinking the same thing.

I did from Gazelle but turns out its T-mobile 3g
    07-09-10 09:26 PM
    I have never had a berry, but will be getting one once I'm eligible for an upgrade in a few months. I currently rock android and like it alot but it is a toy. I don't mean "toy" in the same sense that most people here mean it. What I mean by "toy" is it does everything I need but also has endless entertainment functions as well as endless customization options with root. However, with all those entertainment functions and customization options comes distractions. My phone never distracted me when I had a dumbphone, but I needed more function and smartphones offer just that. With a berry, I think I will have all the work related necessities covered but can be a tad limited on the tweaking and entertainment capabilities thereby my phone will return to being a tool instead of a toy. The only thing I can see that I will miss is the web browsing. Even on a low-end android, my browser blows all my buddies/colleagues berry browsers out of the water. I'm hoping webkit will solve that problem for RIM and atleast make it bearable. If not, it's not the end of the world and I will probably still go berry.

My next device:
    bold 9650

On another note that doesn't really hold weight in my decision but is a major plus:
    There is no device that is as sexy as a blackberry.
    07-11-10 07:06 PM
93 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD