Don't get me wrong. I would be the first to admit that 2.1 or 2.2 had some great things and is pretty to look at...after all its the Evo's OS that draws us in the first place. After its all said and done and tried, I just find myself more comfortable and can get things done quicker on a BB so I revert back. I wish I was rich and can have both phones...best of both world, but I don't. So basically I need to settle with a phone that is more useful as an everyday phone and that is with BB so I don't know how I can be called a fanboy for this reason. I honestly don't care for Rim, but I like their so called stale phones. If they suck in 2 yrs I couldn't care less. I just takes whats best for me and my needs at the time...whether its android, iOS or OS6. Its the same reasoning that I would rather take my honda civic across the state then my Zo6 b/c it burns more gas and the civic is more reliable for a touring car.

Even if that scenario came true, Google has enough foresight to keep innovating and pushing the envelope - something RIM is incapable of. They wouldn't be resting on their laurels even if their fans thought it was the greatest. Need proof? Google's already working on Android 2.5 and hired Palm's UI designer, even after wow'ing the world with 2.2.

If you think RIM is remotely capable of the same, all you have to do is listen to their IBM-like co-CEOs. Suits with no vision.
    Last edited by noized77; 06-27-10 at 11:47 PM.
    06-27-10 11:44 PM
    I went from a BlackBerry Curve 8310 to a BlackBerry Storm 9530 to an HTC Droid Incredible and there is absolutely, positively nothing that could bring me back to BlackBerry at the current rate RIM is going. There are many, many reasons why, from capabilities to performance to aesthetics. I'll give you a huge one; I will never have to close a running application again to free up space and processing. That always drove me crazy. The Droid handles applications and processes for you.

If you ask this question to a BlackBerry-specific forum like CrackBerry, of course you're going to get a lot of pro-BlackBerry responses. The pulse of the smartphone market, however, is simply not reflected accurately here. People are going to Android in swarms without looking back, for even a second. There are always exceptions, of course, and those exceptions will voice their opinions at places like CrackBerry.

Consider this: There is an iPhone and an Android forum on the BlackBerry-focused CrackBerry. There's a reason.

The reason is this is a far more liberal forum than that of the other platforms, and since BB's are often a users first smartphone many people come back after moving on because this is such a great community, unfortunately with the great community and the freedom of expression threads dissing the BB get as much exposure as those praising its abilities, were a similar thread over on another board being anti iPhone would be deleted,

you don't see many Adriod is better than iPhone or vise versa on those boards either, again as the moderators do not allow the freedom. I am glad we can have these discussions as I often forget some features I never use on My BB that come out in threads like this and I can remind other people of them.
    06-28-10 12:03 AM
    If the phone (dumbphone, BB, or other smartphone) suits your needs, then that's great. I was referring to the common BB fanboy question "why do I need all these features?" when dissing Android and iPhone. It's freaking 2010. RIM is still banking on EMAIL like they were a decade ago. Technology progresses and that's why large numbers of BB users are going to real viable smartphone platforms that aren't built on antiquated code. When consumers pay $200 to 300 for a phone and a $30 data plan, they expect it to meet the standards of TODAY - something BB's don't live up to TODAY.

Also when I hear BB fans say "it does what I need and I get along fine with it," for the most part that's fine. But here's a news flash: humans adapt to whatever situations they're in. If they have to be stuck with a technologically inferior phone, they'll start making excuses as to why they don't need all the glitz and glam of Android and iPhone. It's as simple as that.

If you think BB is fine the way it is and it works well for you, that's great. But you're also the reason why RIM is lagging today - the cult of BB is making them rest on their laurels. We all know what happens with that kind of story.
    I think an even more pathetic view is that RIM IS trying to produce products that compete with Android and iPhone, they just don't know how. They will always make phones that the die hard BB people like: simple, hard button keyboards etc. But, the Storm is an example of their pathetic attempt to emulate the competition. Epic Fail. It was the Storm 1 that pushed me right over to the Incredible. 2 years later, still nothing even close to what the competition has to offer. Their attempts are actually becoming laughable. BB's have become typewriters in a world of computers. There will always be people who prefer to use typewriters (like my Mother ). while the rest of the world moves forward with technological advances .
    06-28-10 08:40 AM
    Some people (many who left BB for Android) just have higher standards.
    I laughed out loud at this statement. How is going from a secure, solid dependable device to a cheesy, overhyped, terribly buggy and non-dependable toy considered anything else other than hopping on the bandwagon? The Droid is a fad, plain and simple. People feel the necessity to follow the flock of sheep to the latest craze, even though it's nowhere near up to the standards it claims, they fool themselves into believing it just to feel superior. Pretty sad actually.
    06-28-10 09:06 AM
    I laughed out loud at this statement. How is going from a secure, solid dependable device to a cheesy, overhyped, terribly buggy and non-dependable toy considered anything else other than hopping on the bandwagon? The Droid is a fad, plain and simple. People feel the necessity to follow the flock of sheep to the latest craze, even though it's nowhere near up to the standards it claims, they fool themselves into believing it just to feel superior. Pretty sad actually.
    This is straight-up delusional. I don't even know where to start. I don't think I can.

Just... wow.
    06-28-10 09:19 AM
    Most people who go to android are long gone and have no plans on retuning to BB. I guess its hard to leave all those apps, widgets, and custom home screens android has to offer. It's just more appealing to most consumers.
    I'm coming back... today actually. Android was fun but all I do is text and everyone I text has a bb. Might as well go back to the bbm.
    06-28-10 09:20 AM
    Okay, I'm going to actually try to respond to this, point for point, which I already kind of did here in response to somebody else in a different thread:

How is going from a secure, solid dependable device to a cheesy, overhyped, terribly buggy and non-dependable toy considered anything else other than hopping on the bandwagon?
    Implying that non-BlackBerry phones are insecure, fragile, and undependable speaks to your extreme bias, so I'm going to have to approach this accordingly. I've owned BlackBerry phones. I can confidently compare them to my HTC Droid Incredible. They are no more solid, no more secure (this security thing is getting out of hand, actually), and no more dependable.

I don't know what you mean by "cheesy," so I can't comment there. The term "overhyped" is relative, but considering that all major gadget-based resources via online and printed media have hailed Droid phones positively and with consistency, I don't think this claim holds water. The claim that they're "terribly buggy" is totally made-up, unless you're referring to the latest iPhone. The phrase "non-dependable" makes no sense at all. Do you feel like elaborating on "cheesy," "overhyped," "terribly buggy," and "non-dependable" individually so that I know what in the world you're referring to?

Calling non-BlackBerry phones fragile, buggy toys is flat-out incorrect, but calling them "toys" is just ridiculous. My Droid Incredible "toy" regularly initiates Remote Desktop connections to my work's domain controller and Exchange server through our perimeter firewall via port forwarding. I'm running an FTP server on my Droid as well, to more easily send/receive data when needed. It syncs with the Exchange server at work, too; true sync, and without even needing to use our BES server! It's remarkable. Were there to be a full migration to the Droid platform in our office, our BES server could be decommissioned, and the hardware could be recycled for a different server-based purpose altogether. There is nothing toy-like about non-BlackBerry smartphones.

The Droid is a fad, plain and simple. People feel the necessity to follow the flock of sheep to the latest craze, even though it's nowhere near up to the standards it claims, they fool themselves into believing it just to feel superior.
    You sound technophobic here. Switching from a BlackBerry phone to a Google phone is most definitely NOT jumping on a fad bandwagon or mindlessly following the flock. It's keeping up with technology. Nothing more, nothing less. I strongly disagree with your statement that Droid phones are "nowhere near up to the standards it claims," too. As a matter of fact, my Droid exceeds the claims. I even more strongly disagree with your statement that Google's cell technology is a "fad." This is crazy. It's the future. Read any article, any white paper, any review. Look at market trends and analysis. Opinions are one thing, but you're stubbornly holding on to actual lies, and for what? You're only shorting yourself.

I've been having some pretty good conversations in other threads (this is a good one), but people like you make it impossible to intelligently converse about these things. It's fine if you love your BlackBerry. What isn't fine is convincing yourself of the validity of self-imposed lies and then forming your opinion of other smartphones based on those non-facts.

Pretty sad actually.
    What's sad is that you've made yourself intentionally ignorant. It would only take 2 minutes of your own personal research to educate yourself. Google phones a fad... good lord. I don't even know how you could come to that conclusion unless you're intentionally trolling me. Do you think the Confederacy won the war, too?
    06-28-10 09:55 AM
    I came back from a droid, an iphone, a pre, and many other phones..bb is the perfect phone for my needs but I can see the appeal of other platforms for some people

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-10 10:08 AM
    agreed! lol
    06-28-10 10:59 AM
    I came back from a droid, an iphone, a pre, and many other phones..bb is the perfect phone for my needs but I can see the appeal of other platforms for some people

I kinda feel like people who go for the iphone/android phones, don't REALLY need a smartphone for being connected to the internet constantly, and dont really use it much for communication purposes. They just want a toy to d*ck around with cause its the latest fad.

not saying thats true for everyone, but thats what it seems like to me for most ppl...
    06-28-10 11:12 AM
    I kinda feel like people who go for the iphone/android phones, don't REALLY need a smartphone for being connected to the internet constantly, and dont really use it much for communication purposes. They just want a toy to d*ck around with cause its the latest fad.
    Posts like this have that distinct flavor of "Keep telling yourself that." Yes, there is a sub-section of people out there that must have the newest gadget available, even if they'll never use it to its intended potential.

But most people who purchase a Droid or iPhone smartphone are doing so because, after doing their own research and using one in-hand at the store, they've come to the conclusion that it's the best option out there. There is no fad-mentality going on here. With the exception of stalwart BlackBerry fans, people expect more out of their smartphones as time goes on as opposed to the same 'ol same 'ol, and the manufacturers are delivering.
    06-28-10 05:59 PM
    For me it's the browser. If RIM just updates that then I would probably go back to blackberry
    06-28-10 06:12 PM
    Posts like this have that distinct flavor of "Keep telling yourself that." Yes, there is a sub-section of people out there that must have the newest gadget available, even if they'll never use it to its intended potential.

But most people who purchase a Droid or iPhone smartphone are doing so because, after doing their own research and using one in-hand at the store, they've come to the conclusion that it's the best option out there. There is no fad-mentality going on here. With the exception of stalwart BlackBerry fans, people expect more out of their smartphones as time goes on as opposed to the same 'ol same 'ol, and the manufacturers are delivering.
    OK you can't seriously believe that?

EVEN half the BB users if not more buy the phone based on Fad, and advertisement, I would put major dollars that more than 80% of the "Smart phone" users use it purely for txting, and facebook/twitter/whateverisfasionable they don't care about half the stuff we talk about here, Why did the iPod take the world by storm? because it had the LARGEST advertising budget ever seen by a consumer electronic, How Did Apple regain Marketshare in the PC sector? "Hi I'm a Mac & I'm a PC" advertisements, people are sheep to the media, Apple learned that well, and Verizon is pushing the media wagon with Andriod phones,

you give far far far too much credit to the consumer, you give them a cup with a string and say it is the best bang for their buck at the store they'll walk out happy,
    I'm not just talking Apple users, or Andriod users, but BB users, and Palm users, and people in general, they don't research they look for something pretty that is just a little bit more expensive then they can really afford and ask the sales guy what they would buy.
    06-28-10 07:11 PM
    I sold my Incredible on EBAY for $475 in fifteen minutes on Friday. I reactivated my old curve 8330. Damn I missed it.
    06-28-10 07:13 PM
    I have been using a Curve 8310 for the past few years, didn't realize how slow behind it is when all you do is email or texting. But the web speed or lack there of is why I ordered a iphone 4, due 7/14. I thought about a Bold 9000 because I like the size, though I'm not sure about the web speed. I have also considered the Nexus One to compare to the iphone and sell the iphone. I do have Apple products, imac, macbook, ipods, apple tv, but have felt the phone part of the iphone was a weak link compared to others. And with the reception issues reported may still be.
    Maybe I should keep my eyes out for a Bold 9000 as a backup in case this iphone, nexus experiment drives me back

How far behind the other Blackberries is the 9000?
    06-28-10 09:52 PM
    Why do the fanboys have to sprinkle replies to the wrong question. The OP was who went Android and came back? Not who went android and now wants to sling poo like a caged money? Please FBs go away and have your fun somewhere else. I would enjoy reading actual answers to the OP. As for me, my sister in law got the Moto Droid which is amazing but I played with it for a few hours, just not as well-integrated as the Bold 9000 I use daily. If I had gone for the Moto Droid, and I do think it is amazing in look, heft and having a real keyboard, I would have come back to BlackBerry. For MY purposes a BlackBerry just cannot be beat.

06-28-10 10:42 PM

woooooow, im pretty sure its the other way around
    06-29-10 08:59 AM
    OK you can't seriously believe that?

I would put major dollars that more than 80% of the "Smart phone" users use it purely for txting, and facebook/twitter/whateverisfasionable they don't care about half the stuff we talk about here, Why did the iPod take the world by storm? because it had the LARGEST advertising budget ever seen by a consumer electronic

"they could put out a f***ing brick and call it an iPhone if they wanted to"

"yes... but its the best phone"

06-29-10 09:11 AM
    I have a BB and a Droid. Best of both worlds. I get my Android fix and then back to BB for a bit and vice versa.
    06-29-10 09:11 AM

"they could put out a f***ing brick and call it an iPhone if they wanted to"

"yes... but its the best phone"

OMG I cried!! I love that video!!!
    06-29-10 09:00 PM
    You kids make me chuckle.
    06-30-10 07:12 AM
    My Droid Incredible "toy" regularly initiates Remote Desktop connections to my work's domain controller and Exchange server through our perimeter firewall via port forwarding. I'm running an FTP server on my Droid as well, to more easily send/receive data when needed. It syncs with the Exchange server at work, too; true sync, and without even needing to use our BES server! It's remarkable. Were there to be a full migration to the Droid platform in our office, our BES server could be decommissioned, and the hardware could be recycled for a different server-based purpose altogether.
    If your droid is really so practical and useful, it should take all of two minutes to convince your company and its IT department to switch completely over as you have described. Have you done this? If not, why not?
    06-30-10 08:58 AM
    For MY purposes a BlackBerry just cannot be beat.
    Agreed. The problem here is that people refuse to accept that fact that every individual has individual needs and wants, and that what is supposedly the latest and greatest really isn't considered the latest and greatest by everyone. What's worse is the fools that comment how BB users are "falling behind" or "stubborn" if they stick with their devices. If they have absolutely no use for anything else offered on newer phones, what's the point?

All I know is when I first got my Bold after dealing with countless phones since the late 90s through a couple WinMo phones, I said to myself "this is the greatest thing since sliced bread". Even after seeing what's out there now, I still haven't seen anyone improve on sliced bread. I really don't care how other people see it or think that other phones are so much more advanced when their advancements have no impact on me or my usage of the device.
    06-30-10 09:40 AM
    If your droid is really so practical and useful, it should take all of two minutes to convince your company and its IT department to switch completely over as you have described. Have you done this? If not, why not?
    Already addressed here. I'll copy/paste:

"I'm just consulting. Their needs are basic. Considering the tooth-pulling required and the headaches that ensued after moving them from Windows XP with IE6 to Windows 7 with IE8, I will likely advise them to stick with BlackBerry, as it will be the least abrasive for all parties. They use PCs and hand-held devices because they have to, not because they want to."
    06-30-10 10:17 AM
    Agreed. The problem here is that people refuse to accept that fact that every individual has individual needs and wants, and that what is supposedly the latest and greatest really isn't considered the latest and greatest by everyone. What's worse is the fools that comment how BB users are "falling behind" or "stubborn" if they stick with their devices. If they have absolutely no use for anything else offered on newer phones, what's the point?

All I know is when I first got my Bold after dealing with countless phones since the late 90s through a couple WinMo phones, I said to myself "this is the greatest thing since sliced bread". Even after seeing what's out there now, I still haven't seen anyone improve on sliced bread. I really don't care how other people see it or think that other phones are so much more advanced when their advancements have no impact on me or my usage of the device.
    I completely CONCUR!
    06-30-10 11:19 AM
93 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD