I had an Evo but Android just wasn't for me. Took it back exactly a week after it
    launched. However I never went back to Blackberry. Was already using an iPhone
    before it, which I had ditched my BB for already. Using an iPhone 4 now and see no
    reason to go back to Blackberry. BB is just way too sub-standard (for me) now.
    The phone fulfills my needs and I believe is the best smartphone out there (again, for me).
    06-27-10 12:30 PM
    My hubby was deciding between a storm 2 and a droid. He went with droid just to try the android OS versus my bb. He enjoys many things on it and hates many things on it. The pages of apps looks cool but seems to be excessive and most will never be touched. Call issues and the touch screen locking up drives him up the wall. He wishes he had gone with the storm 2. He told me its just not worth all the extra steps to get to simple tasks. I am glad he got the droid, because now I know I am really not interested in the android at all. I don't particularly enjoy touch screens anyway and I find his phone extrememly frustrating to deal with in comparison with my bold. I think the bb is just more user friendly and you can figure things out a little easier. The droid has alot more things to remember, like long presses and short presses do certain things. It feels like the Mac vs. PC thing all over. I can see the draw to them, but they are just not my cup of tea.
    06-27-10 01:03 PM
    At this point in time, I wouldn't consider coming to BB ever again. Most of the people I know that moved to Android forgot about whatever platform they were on before it.

Also, this thread is going to be screwed with results. Since it is a thread for people who are coming back, don't think that the majority of people are coming back. Maybe some real world numbers will come in some day.

As Androids market share grows so rapidly, it it pretty hard to believe that a lot are coming back. Especially when recent articles are pointing at Android directly stealing from RIM and not Apple.

News Headlines

And here is the thread this is being discussed in...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f169/cn...iphone-488359/
    Last edited by avt123; 06-27-10 at 04:52 PM.
    06-27-10 01:16 PM
    I've tried The Hero and then the EVO and neither hold my interest for long and had since returned them. A pretty OS can only last so long before the novelties wears off. Using these android phones is just so inconvenience for me as an everyday phone. I'm not going to write an essay on what I think is wrong with them since most people already know and is well documented(battery, email, messaging...etc). Sure its making a ton of money b/c of its multimedia capabilities and pretty OS, but seriously, some of us don't need them. My life and who I'm connected is too valuable to be wasting time fiddling around a phone that makes it seems like a chore to do simple task. Yes BB OS is boring and outdated but that doesn't take away from its simplicity, convienience and the best messaging/productivity which is why we love them in the first place. Now if only they would improve the browser, make the OS a little prettier and get rid of the truncated email...I wouldn't even think twice about any other phone period.
    06-27-10 01:52 PM
    I came back from android, but mostly due to hardware limits. No android devices are out for verizon that support cdma and gsm .

So those cdma sprint/verizon android phones have no gsm sim slot, making them useless overseas unless you want to pay extreme fees to verizon or sprint to use them.

Other than the hardware issue, Android is great, I miss the good free turn by turn google nav, and googe sky maps. I miss the useful battery percentage widgets , and music apps , and web browser. sighhh
    06-27-10 02:00 PM
    I came back from android, but mostly due to hardware limits. No android devices are out for verizon that support cdma and gsm .

So those cdma sprint/verizon android phones have no gsm sim slot, making them useless overseas unless you want to pay extreme fees to verizon or sprint to use them.

Other than the hardware issue, Android is great, I miss the good free turn by turn google nav, and googe sky maps. I miss the useful battery percentage widgets , and music apps , and web browser. sighhh
    The Droid Pro that is suppose to be released at the end of the year is rumored to be a world phone. That may be the Android device for you.
    06-27-10 02:31 PM
    Why is this thread being moved this is not fair there are other threads in this category that should be moved that aren't that is not right this thread should stay right hear it is news that people that have left are coming back
    06-27-10 03:45 PM
    Why is this thread being moved this is not fair there are other threads in this category that should be moved that aren't that is not right this thread should stay right hear it is news that people that have left are coming back
    That's what happens when you have mods that like to play with their power..

but in all seriousness, it was posted in the wrong forum, the title to the thread is more of a "Discussion" rather than "News & Rumors"
    Last edited by JoelTruckerDude; 06-27-10 at 03:51 PM.
    06-27-10 03:49 PM
    At this point in time, I wouldn't consider coming to BB ever again. Most of the people I now that moved to Android forgot abut whatever platform they were on before it.

Also, this thread is going to be screwed with results. Since it is a thread for people who are coming back, don't think that the majority of people are coming back. Maybe some real world numbers will come in some day.

As Androids market share grows so rapidly, it it pretty hard to believe that a lot are coming back. Especially when recent articles are pointing at Android directly stealing from RIM and not Apple.

News Headlines

And here is the thread this is being discussed in...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f169/cn...iphone-488359/
    Exactly. This thread is full of jaded BB fans making things up like "many people are coming back." Yeah, sure. Frequent any iPhone or Android forum and try to find any threads about going back to BB. You don't find it.

Not to mention drm2blv asking "but do you really need that in a device?" Like I've said many times, you can get around with a horse and carriage today and it'll still get you from point A to point B. Some people (many who left BB for Android) just have higher standards.
    06-27-10 04:47 PM
    Exactly. This thread is full of jaded BB fans making things up like "many people are coming back." Yeah, sure. Frequent any iPhone or Android forum and try to find any threads about going back to BB. You don't find it.

Not to mention drm2blv asking "but do you really need that in a device?" Like I've said many times, you can get around with a horse and carriage today and it'll still get you from point A to point B. Some people (many who left BB for Android) just have higher standards.
    I believe the people HERE that would come back, the people here are people that once loved BB, left for greener pastures and had to come back,

it took me a while to leave WinMo in favour of BB, nothing out there offers me the package BB does to get me to leave, but I know if I got frustrated with any device change I`d quickly go back to BB, I tried Apple, and couldn`t leave it, once Andriod makes a Media player like the iPod Touch, I`ll buy it.

but Joe Public that buys a BB, then buy`s and Andriod probably never goes to any forum to talk about it, and will wait 2-3 years for their contract to be over and get the next best thing they can at that time. which is what those statistics really show, 2-3 years ago, new smartphone users all jumped onto blackberry`s they were awesome, nothing could really touch them for cost vs performance, NOW Andriods are that, BB`s are cheap and plentiful nothing WOW but andriod has all the marketing behind them with no need for iTunes
    Last edited by deRusett; 06-27-10 at 05:00 PM.
    06-27-10 04:57 PM
    I still believe you guys are not been far when moving these threads there are a few threads about discussions and there not been moved maybe its just about the people that start them how about the thread title why does rim still insist on putting on board media memory on devices that title sure sounds like a discussion to me where's the news in that thread
    06-27-10 05:56 PM
    Maybe if you added a "period" to form actual sentences the mods wouldn't have moved your thread.

All kidding aside, they can do whatever they want. I have seen BB discussions and just because Android was mentioned in the article, the thread was moved to the Android section where it later had no more discussion.
    Last edited by avt123; 06-27-10 at 06:28 PM.
    06-27-10 06:22 PM

I think it's insulting that you say that ppl who have android have higher standards. My stepdad owns a flip phone and it works well for him and what he wants. My mother owns the lg envy touch and it satisifies her needs. My sister and her husband own the iPhone cause it fulfill theirs needs. I currently own an envy 3 but am looking to upgrade to a bold 9650. Every phone user has different wants and needs. I own an itouch and have owned a moto krave and hated it. I love my itouch but I couldn't do touch all day. So no user has better taste than any other and RIM is not out of date or else no network would carry it cause their updates wouldn't work with the phones. Phones are built to supply different users with different things for their needs and wants. So just cause I choose a bold over a droid doesn't mean I'm carrying around a horse and buggy.
    06-27-10 06:32 PM
    I have a droid and used to have a Bold 9000

There were only 3 advantages Android had over the Bold: Google maps with navigation, better internet browser and better email viewing with pictures. That is the reason I switched I had Garmin on the Bold but at times it would take for ever to find a signal and if I was going to pay $30 for the internet I wanted a phone that could view browsers better. Even though the email was not pushed, I could always view the email no more html files to view or having to go directly to the website to view the emails pictures (ie emails from espn, newegg, etc.)

I have enjoyed the Droid, but I am going back to BB when the Slider/Bold/Torch comes out.

Here is what I didn't like about the Droid and Android OS

1.) Keyboard was useless, horrible I never use it. I have become better with the virtual keyboard, but it is almost impossible for me to type one handed even with Swype

2.) Contacts, contacts, contacts Android drives me crazy. I lose contacts all of the time. People tell me I am crazy and it is not happening and that I am doing something wrong, but it never happened to me on a BB. Looking for an old text message to reply to someone and the number is there, but the name isn't is a pain.

3.) More about contacts, BB was flawless with typing in the beginning letters of a contact and being able to use it to text, email or call. Droid is not flawless especially with me losing contacts. Did I mention that I lose contacts on my droid.

4.) Last about contacts. No grouping function with the droid. I had to either go online to make a group or download an app.

5.) I do not like the fact that after a day, there is not longer a time of date when the text was received.

6.) Email. I used to use hotmail for everything. Not having it pushed drove me crazy and the default email program would always freeze up on me. I found away around it by going to hotmail.com, but that little red light is addicting. BB is great with pushing the emails from different accounts.

7.) Reception. My office is in a gym and I coach in a pool so I have a lot of concrete to go through. My droid drops calls all of the time or goes down to below 3g. Rarely if ever dropped a call with the Bold on ATT (Shocking I know) and I like how the Bold sounded on the phone compared to the droid, not as many breakups. As for 3g I usually had 3 bars with the BB compared to one bar with the droid

8) Viewing the screen outside was tough, in a pair of sunglasses was close to impossible. Never had that problem with my Bold

9) Bold felt great in the hand, very easy to use and hold one handed and do everything you need to do. Not the case with the droid. Typing on the screen one handed in portrait was tough and close to impossible in landscape with the droid, a lot of more complex tasks take 2 hands. It will be great to have the Bold like keyboard back to type with a keyboard when I need it.

10) D pad was close to worthless you have to open up the keyboard to get to it. I think it will be a nice feature with the 9800 to have the optical touch pad on the screen to use it. It took a while to be able to fine tune where the cursor would go using the touch screen and I had to use the d pad a lot to fix typing errors and type in web pages. I have used a touch pad a little and it seemed to work great.

I am glad I had the droid because I have learned a lot about using a "smart phone" and found navigating around the phone with a touch screen can be easier and faster. I now know what I want and I know what I need from a phone and it is a Blackberry.
    Last edited by giper; 06-27-10 at 07:37 PM.
    06-27-10 07:31 PM
    Nicely laid out arguments Gummi and Gipper, but be careful. I have noticed some like to magnify every perceived fault with a BlackBerry as if it can do nothing well and conveniently forget any fault with an android as if they are the best thing in the world. The truth is, as others have pointed out, that different devices suit different needs. For some there is no middle ground and if you don't agree with them, then there's got to be something wrong with you.
    I can say that after a short time I have come to see that writing a word compatible document pasting in various cuts on an android is as tedious as ****. Internet is good, but it's a toy and not ready for real work. I will use the Android for work because I have to, but I will continue to use my personal device for mail and composing. Nothing out there comes close to it for many tasks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-27-10 08:07 PM
    Nicely laid out arguments Gummi and Gipper, but be careful. I have noticed some like to magnify every perceived fault with a BlackBerry as if it can do nothing well and conveniently forget any fault with an android as if they are the best thing in the world. The truth is, as others have pointed out, that different devices suit different needs. For some there is no middle ground and if you don't agree with them, then there's got to be something wrong with you.
    I can say that after a short time I have come to see that writing a word compatible document pasting in various cuts on an android is as tedious as ****. Internet is good, but it's a toy and not ready for real work. I will use the Android for work because I have to, but I will continue to use my personal device for mail and composing. Nothing out there comes close to it for many tasks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thanks ex! All I'm trying to get across to these droid happy people is that I'm glad it works for you. However being a college student I don't need a phone that does all of that. In fact talking to the store manager at my verizon store he said if I wanted reliable I shouldgo with the bold. I'm not looking for the newest latest and greatest thing. I'm looking at something that's reliable and for me androids haven't been out long enough to prove reliablility for me personally. Every phone is geared for a certain user and every os is different than the next. Is droid a RIM killer? Not in my opinion.
    06-27-10 08:17 PM
    Before I owned a BB, I had the G1.

Started with G1, then got the BB8900, then got the Cliq, missed BB, so I decided to get the 9700 and keep the Cliq. Will get rid of the Cliq for either the Nexus One or Samsung Galaxy Vibrant (aka Galaxy S).

I really like both platforms. I count on my BB as my daily user but love to play around with my Android for fun.
    06-27-10 08:45 PM
    I think it's insulting that you say that ppl who have android have higher standards. My stepdad owns a flip phone and it works well for him and what he wants. My mother owns the lg envy touch and it satisifies her needs. My sister and her husband own the iPhone cause it fulfill theirs needs. I currently own an envy 3 but am looking to upgrade to a bold 9650. Every phone user has different wants and needs. I own an itouch and have owned a moto krave and hated it. I love my itouch but I couldn't do touch all day. So no user has better taste than any other and RIM is not out of date or else no network would carry it cause their updates wouldn't work with the phones. Phones are built to supply different users with different things for their needs and wants. So just cause I choose a bold over a droid doesn't mean I'm carrying around a horse and buggy.
    If the phone (dumbphone, BB, or other smartphone) suits your needs, then that's great. I was referring to the common BB fanboy question "why do I need all these features?" when dissing Android and iPhone. It's freaking 2010. RIM is still banking on EMAIL like they were a decade ago. Technology progresses and that's why large numbers of BB users are going to real viable smartphone platforms that aren't built on antiquated code. When consumers pay $200 to 300 for a phone and a $30 data plan, they expect it to meet the standards of TODAY - something BB's don't live up to TODAY.

Also when I hear BB fans say "it does what I need and I get along fine with it," for the most part that's fine. But here's a news flash: humans adapt to whatever situations they're in. If they have to be stuck with a technologically inferior phone, they'll start making excuses as to why they don't need all the glitz and glam of Android and iPhone. It's as simple as that.

If you think BB is fine the way it is and it works well for you, that's great. But you're also the reason why RIM is lagging today - the cult of BB is making them rest on their laurels. We all know what happens with that kind of story.
    06-27-10 08:51 PM
    I went from a BlackBerry Curve 8310 to a BlackBerry Storm 9530 to an HTC Droid Incredible and there is absolutely, positively nothing that could bring me back to BlackBerry at the current rate RIM is going. There are many, many reasons why, from capabilities to performance to aesthetics. I'll give you a huge one; I will never have to close a running application again to free up space and processing. That always drove me crazy. The Droid handles applications and processes for you.

If you ask this question to a BlackBerry-specific forum like CrackBerry, of course you're going to get a lot of pro-BlackBerry responses. The pulse of the smartphone market, however, is simply not reflected accurately here. People are going to Android in swarms without looking back, for even a second. There are always exceptions, of course, and those exceptions will voice their opinions at places like CrackBerry.

Consider this: There is an iPhone and an Android forum on the BlackBerry-focused CrackBerry. There's a reason.
    06-27-10 09:02 PM
    If the phone (dumbphone, BB, or other smartphone) suits your needs, then that's great. I was referring to the common BB fanboy question "why do I need all these features?" when dissing Android and iPhone. It's freaking 2010. RIM is still banking on EMAIL like they were a decade ago. Technology progresses and that's why large numbers of BB users are going to real viable smartphone platforms that aren't built on antiquated code. When consumers pay $200 to 300 for a phone and a $30 data plan, they expect it to meet the standards of TODAY - something BB's don't live up to TODAY.

Also when I hear BB fans say "it does what I need and I get along fine with it," for the most part that's fine. But here's a news flash: humans adapt to whatever situations they're in. If they have to be stuck with a technologically inferior phone, they'll start making excuses as to why they don't need all the glitz and glam of Android and iPhone. It's as simple as that.

If you think BB is fine the way it is and it works well for you, that's great. But you're also the reason why RIM is lagging today - the cult of BB is making them rest on their laurels. We all know what happens with that kind of story.
    Slow clap. Wonderfully stated, and I am in agreement 100%. I made a thread expressing similar sentiments earlier here. The question posed: what is it that BlackBerry has to offer in 2010 that is unique and isn't already offered by another phone, but better?
    06-27-10 09:10 PM
    Of course a sensitive and shallow thinking user like you is the reason why we have a cult fanboy base similar to the iphone's. In two years I'm predicting Android fan base will take over the ihpone fanbase into thinking their phone has no faults. Calm down sonny boy, no reason to get offended if you think you already have the latest and greatest.

If you still haven't calm down yet. Watch this video.

Last edited by noized77; 06-27-10 at 09:43 PM.
    06-27-10 09:39 PM
    Well I'm one of the ones that's a new bb user, switched out, and ran back. I previously owned the G1 and my touch. Put them down for a few months. Picked up (what some called the low end bb for whatever reason) an 8530...took to it instantly. So I thought maybe I'm just not weighing my options properly. Went in the store and traded the 8530 for a samsung moment..brought it back the next hour......crazy. Everything just seemed suddenly all over the place on that device. No structure or anything. Plus the email is annoying after having the bb. Idk. Maybe my taste grew up..imagine.
    06-27-10 10:06 PM
    wow this is funny i just came back to Crackberry today and was about to post the same thing. a little bit on my history,,, my first bb was a 8320 i loved that little machine like no other..... when android came out it gave alot of freedom and hope and the Google dream phone came around (g1) i picked it up in the first wave and oh boy i regret it then i went back to blackberry with the 8900 and felt in love again and 6 months later the Google nexus one came out before making the jump i did research and bought it well i own it right now and its a good phone. the android OS has come a long way and its more user friendly but for me is too overwhelming to much searching around for one app and such so now i find my self looking for a 9700 on ebay lol

Im assuming your on Tmobile? Yeah the 8320 was my first BB also, I loved that device too, and I really want to get a Bold 9700 now, but i'm not sure if i should spend that kind of money on a Bold when my Curve 8900 is very similar, and BB is coming out with @ new devices in a few of months with BB OS 6 soon.

I just hope I can control myself until then lol
    06-27-10 11:02 PM
    Of course a sensitive and shallow thinking user like you is the reason why we have a cult fanboy base similar to the iphone's. In two years I'm predicting Android fan base will take over the ihpone fanbase into thinking their phone has no faults. Calm down sonny boy, no reason to get offended if you think you already have the latest and greatest.

If you still haven't calm down yet. Watch this video.
    Even if that scenario came true, Google has enough foresight to keep innovating and pushing the envelope - something RIM is incapable of. They wouldn't be resting on their laurels even if their fans thought it was the greatest. Need proof? Google's already working on Android 2.5 and hired Palm's UI designer, even after wow'ing the world with 2.2.

If you think RIM is remotely capable of the same, all you have to do is listen to their IBM-like co-CEOs. Suits with no vision.
    06-27-10 11:17 PM
    i never left. Why would i? I already have the best phone from the best manufacturer.

From where i am, everything else is downhill.
    exactly!!!!!!
    06-27-10 11:19 PM
93 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD