Hacker Says iPhone 3GS Encryption Is ‘Useless’ for Businesses | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

Apple claims that hundreds of thousands of iPhones are being used by corporations and government agencies. What it wont tell you is that the supposedly enterprise-friendly encryption included with the iPhone 3GS is so weak it can be cracked in two minutes with a few pieces of readily available freeware.

It is kind of like storing all your secret messages right next to the secret decoder ring, said Jonathan Zdziarski, an iPhone developer and a hacker who teaches forensics courses on recovering data from iPhones. I dont think any of us [developers] have ever seen encryption implemented so poorly before, which is why its hard to describe why its such a big threat to security.
    07-27-09 09:20 PM
    No DoD agencies use those for anything that touches the network. Its no where close to secure enough.
    07-27-09 09:24 PM
    Yeah its true bb is A+ in security. My dads a certified ethical hacker and he uses a bb what does that tell you?
    07-27-09 09:28 PM
    I have always said that until the DOD start using iphones than I will never leave my berry. People that use iphones for business don't have a real need for real security IMO.

As someone that was an officer in the AF I never saw any of my colleagues use anything other than a berry for work purposes. Maybe for personal use they had an iphone but not on the job. And many that I keep in contact with that are no longer in the military still use bb's for business.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-09 10:35 PM
    what is a certified ethical hacker?
    A hacker that hacks systems and software to provide companies and
    developers the means to shore up their security. In short, they are not
    malicious, are not trying to create wholesale havoc.

EC-Council | Certified Ethical Hacker

Certified Ethical Hacker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    07-27-09 10:43 PM
    Another reason I choose BB over iPhone. Plus BB E-mail solution is top notch. Setting up an e-mail is as easy as entering your e-mail address and password.
    07-27-09 11:01 PM
    to me, the iphone is basically itouch that comes with phone functions. it's decent for portable media, average for phone functions... and i don't think it's practical for business at all.

if i'm at all interested with the applications, i'd just get myself an itouch for media's sake. cos i'm already very contented w/ my BBB

that's just my opinion.
    07-27-09 11:23 PM
    When exactly was the iPhone EVER marketed as a business device.
    This is the biggest non-issue in the history of smartphones.

The two devices were designed for a distinct set of users with
    a distinct set of needs. Let's stop comparing the two.
    07-28-09 12:27 AM
    No, let's keep comparing them, that way, consumers and corporate heads notice what they have done is set off a ticking time bomb by purchasing iPhones rather than BB.

07-28-09 12:34 AM

your right it was not marketed as a business device but they are trying to market it as a new solution for business users. Just like Rim is targeting the consumer to use their devices.

i just think that breaking into the consumer market should be a little easier than trying to brake into the business market. Rim stands a better chance at making a real splash if they fix some small things but apple and the business market will have a tough road if they don't fix their security.
    07-28-09 01:00 AM
    your right it was not marketed as a business device but they are trying to market it as a new solution for business users. Just like Rim is targeting the consumer to use their devices.

i just think that breaking into the consumer market should be a little easier than trying to brake into the business market. Rim stands a better chance at making a real splash if they fix some small things but apple and the business market will have a tough road if they don't fix their security.
    So true! People fail to see the long run. Instead of looking into the future some want to dwelve into the impossibilities. In the end RIM will still run smart phone market. Apple just made a little splash and people accept what apple spoon feeds them while bb users are seeing a brighter future in deep functionality rather than just appearance functionality like the iphone. It is just true. The main issues with the iphone are embedded within its hardware where as our issues are mainly software issues which mainly affect storm users and those issues are being addressed within each newer build. I think overall we will sEe more newer features on our phones in upcoming updates than what apple gives iphones.
    07-28-09 01:47 AM
    I doubt we'll ever see the day that people/companies drop the Blackberry altogether for the "business savvy-ness" of an iPhone. I tried, and failed. Glad to be with my 8900 now.

07-28-09 01:54 AM

Maybe you need to call Apple up and explain all that to them, I am sure they will be interested in knowing that they are off target with their marketing campaign to business, probably save them millions in advertising and marketing materials to know your thoughts on it.

But since they are the ones claiming.

Were seeing growing interest with the release of iPhone 3.0 and the iPhone 3GS due in part to the new hardware encryption and improved security policies, Cook said during Apples earnings call. The phone is particularly doing well with small businesses and large organizations.
    And Apple have even released a pdf on the new security enhancements for business use of the Iphone. http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/ga...y_overview.pdf

I would say they are on a different wave length than you are.
    07-28-09 03:47 AM
    Yeah its true bb is A+ in security. My dads a certified ethical hacker and he uses a bb what does that tell you?
    Out of curiosity, where did your dad start out when trying to get into the field? I've been interested in getting into infosec/pen-testing etc. I start a Cisco course next year in sixth form although I'm not too sure where to go from there. I'm still young at 16 so I have plenty of time. I was just wondering if your dad/ yourself may have any pointers.

07-28-09 06:07 AM
    Honestly? Not a darn thing.
    07-28-09 06:16 AM
    The Main Reason Why I Chose The Bb Over The I Phone, Is Here Att Is Too Expensive For What I Want.
    07-28-09 10:30 AM

So were Ferraris and Semi-trucks. Fortunately for us we don't have Semi-Truck Drivers expecting to transport thier cargo in Ferrari because they are "flashier and look cool".

Now if Buisness users would just take a clue from Truck Drivers
    07-28-09 12:50 PM
    lol i'm glad i don't have an iphone then
    07-28-09 12:53 PM
    I have an iphone and am now looking to purchase a 8900 blackberry or a bold or an Onyx or gemini...
    (RIM makes it so hard to choose a device)

but honestly the iphone isnt that bad.
    07-28-09 08:10 PM

When the 3g was released, Apple had the words "Enterprise Ready" plastered all over their front page. I tried to find a copy on the waybackmachine, but I can't find it. Here's an inside page those: Apple - iPhone - Enterprise
    07-28-09 08:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD