Is it just me or is the idea of "refreshing" a phones hardware kind of ridiculous?

Why would we pay full price for a slightly upgraded phone when there are newer models (with even slightly better hardware) set to come out a few months after? I could understand the idea of refreshing a phone if they take our old phones for the refreshed model at a heavy discounted price (kind of like how upgrade programs work). They can always take the old phones and at a cheaper cost refurbish them to meet the same hardware specs as the refreshed phones to be resold at discount...

I guess what I'm saying is that unless there is a very low cost for those of us owning BlackBerries that are getting a refresh; why even bother? Especially if we'll have to resign our carrier contracts? Seems like a waste of an early upgrade, but I guess that's just me...
    08-27-10 01:43 PM
    agreed. The whole Idea of an refresh is more stoopidest thing i've ever heard.

I think RIM should release ONE (uno / 1 ) device per year each in the Storm, Bold, Curve, Torch, Pearl line and be done with it.

and make the upgrades / new phones worth the wait.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-27-10 02:13 PM
    It makes sense to me. The outside form factor doesn't really need any more tweaking, especially not just for the sake of being different. It's what's inside that counts.

Also, the "refresh" models aren't designed to replace their immediate predecessor for most people. Since most people are on a two-year upgrade cycle, they should generally be skipping a generation of phone models during that time.
    08-27-10 08:33 PM
    Also, the "refresh" models aren't designed to replace their immediate predecessor for most people. Since most people are on a two-year upgrade cycle, they should generally be skipping a generation of phone models during that time.
    Agree. Believe the refreshes are usually to bring in more customers once sales have leveled, not to entice owners of the previous version. Other than the new Storm.. I can see some storm owners upgrading to get the new OS.
    08-27-10 08:41 PM
    The way the market is going, "refresh" devices each year is weak. Things are advancing ridiculously fast, except for with RIM. They need to get their head out of their @$$ IMO.
    08-27-10 08:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD