Make/licensce whatever you want to call it. This would have fulfilled their musings on a followup to the PLAYBOOK brilliantly....and served a real average business efficiency....for those who can't justify the government grade blackberry hardened Samsung tablet.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/ZTE-...n-leak_id98421

...maybe they should partner? with a BB security Branded model.
    Looks like they took the idea from a bb concept video (2012) and trying to make it real.

15 seconds in.
    Last edited by deremi; 09-28-17 at 03:22 PM.
    09-28-17 01:38 PM
    Wow similiar..and from that long ago? great minds......seems to be a desired thing. Though the one in the video I think is still technically not doable, and BB underwent a lot of flak at that time, so this was probably not on their radar.

But today in the licensing model, worth a hard look. ZTE took what you could do today and ran with it (hinge with stop points-though I also suggested maybe edge glass at the joining in the middle). I think it fits the problem in the business world, and consumer of carrying both the tablet (ipad/etc) and the phone, when you might need both, but don't like the hassle that you can't just put it away in your pocket when on the go....e-reader and phone, business apps and phone, games apps and phone. Full screen or diff't app in each pane., the gap in the middle a very minor price to pay for the effeciencies gained, and becomes invisible once you start using it, and the pricing model should put it below the ipad.
    Might give Apple a little scare.
    09-28-17 02:12 PM
    I wonder when it will finally click with people that BlackBerry isn't going to make any more devices. It amazes me still that people say "I hope BlackBerry makes (name your item, phone, tablet, etc). They aren't going to make anything anymore, and have said so 100 times.
    I personally will continue to say blackberry as long as there name and logo is used. Who builds it doesn't matter to me as long as the company's name is still being pushed. As we are seeing there licensing agreements are multilevel if BlackBerry's logo is on it ill support it. If it powers up with the shield and logo I'll support it.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-17 04:12 PM
    I'd like a BlackBerry Android tablet. Got two PlayBook tablets that need replacing.
    09-28-17 06:22 PM
  5. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    No market for it. Apple ipro, ms...etc... why would anyone buy a bbry tablet?

Posted via CB10
    09-29-17 05:14 AM
    The only new tablet I'd like to see from BlackBerry, would be if TCL decided to come out with a competitor to the Surface laptop / tablet combo.

I don't think a regular secure android tablet would wow anyone enough to give it a try vs the other options that are out there.
    10-03-17 10:00 AM
    if BlackBerry's logo is on it ill support it.
    Its like me buying an Atari tee shirt at Costco this summer. There is a market for nostalgia. I remember all the fun I had with PacMan etc, from the original game company, even though they failed from poor business practices. Likewise, I have had years of enjoyment from BlackBerry phones and still use Z30 so, within reason, I would support the logo and I am sure many others would too.

BB, Still the One
    10-03-17 10:41 AM
    The only new tablet I'd like to see from BlackBerry, would be if TCL decided to come out with a competitor to the Surface laptop / tablet combo.

I don't think a regular secure android tablet would wow anyone enough to give it a try vs the other options that are out there.
    Agree, I think a competitor for the Surface... would need to be running Windows. As that is the biggest draw for the Surface line, they run Windows and thus do the "things" a real laptop would do. Closest thing Google has is Chromebook but that's not Android and thus isn't what BlackBerry is securing.

Anyone building premium Tablets that run Android? The Galaxy Tab S3 9.7 ($500 US) is a very nice Android Tablet, but it's not a Surface Pro or an iPad Pro. And Samsung does make higher end hardware, but they only offer it with Windows OS. I expect the reason is few want or need an expensive Android powered tablet at this point. Samsung has put forth the effort to customize Android for a better Tablet experience.... I doubt BlackBerry could afford to tweak Android that much for a single product. If they did, it wouldn't be at the Galaxy Tab S3 price or specs. They'd probable stick with the SD625 again.....

Apple and Kindles are what I see a lot of these days... with the Windows powered devices becoming more and more common. Four or five years ago... Android had a spot, but I think Google lack of effort with the OS for that form factor, has really hurt OEMs ability to compete.
    10-03-17 10:52 AM
    Im in total agreement. Great post. A lot of great thoughts in there. The differentiation here would be the ability for users to create vs. consume. Be it business, art, music, etc.
    Another mid to high end Android tablet isn't going to do that.

...Unless...

They find a way to create a Surface - like experience on Android. This is out of my area of knowledge so its all theoretical... I understand there is a higher cost to maintain and support customized versions of Android. However, I wonder if, on a tablet, an Enterprise tablet or one focused on students, if it would make sense.

...or...

Samsung is still fooling around with Tizen. And from what I've read, they are still having a hell of a time securing it. If Samsung and BlackBerry team up to create a Surface - like experience on a Samsung build, BlackBerry secured tablet, that could be an option as well.
    10-04-17 07:02 AM
    Im in total agreement. Great post. A lot of great thoughts in there. The differentiation here would be the ability for users to create vs. consume. Be it business, art, music, etc.
    Another mid to high end Android tablet isn't going to do that.

...Unless...

They find a way to create a Surface - like experience on Android. This is out of my area of knowledge so its all theoretical... I understand there is a higher cost to maintain and support customized versions of Android. However, I wonder if, on a tablet, an Enterprise tablet or one focused on students, if it would make sense.

...or...

Samsung is still fooling around with Tizen. And from what I've read, they are still having a hell of a time securing it. If Samsung and BlackBerry team up to create a Surface - like experience on a Samsung build, BlackBerry secured tablet, that could be an option as well.
    BlackBerry can't afford to customize the Android used on the phones very much... what have they done over the last year? They certainly don't have the resources or experience to bring a desktop experience to a low volume product like a Tablet.

Why wold Samsung need to create an Android Surface, when they have Windows? Users like Windows, Enterprise likes Windows (believe it or not) as they have been securing and managing it for a long time. Why would Samsung need BlackBerry to secure Android when they have KNOX?
    10-04-17 09:22 AM
35 12