Thanks for your feedback.
    05-20-09 10:25 PM
    I used mine for two days with no data. Why, cause I could not afford to pay for it. Then out of the goodness of their heart, sprint gave it to me for fffrrrrreee.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-09 11:03 PM
    I just gave an 8700g to my son, sans data plan. He loves it; uses the pda functions especially the notes and alarm. Also loves the keyboard for texting.

05-21-09 01:23 AM
    It does make sense. Use wifi if the device supports it. I do that when I travel abroad to avoid or minimise roaming costs as my Bold is able to connect to BB mail and browser via wifi on most hotspots.
    05-21-09 01:46 AM
    I didn't have a data plan for a couple of days but you can't use the bb properly so I went and had it added, its only an extra �5 so I'm not too bothered

05-21-09 06:16 AM
    i dont have a bb data plan, i use att prepaid and i have a standard data plan (i can use for inet etc) but att doesnt offer bb data plans prepaid, but i use my phone more as a pda then for email anywho, i chose to come to bb because of the treo's, i have been a palm user for years (my first was a III) but with the treo's i had to find something different, wife has a black jack and i can never figure out how to make a phone call on that thing, i tried the 8110 i got for her and it seems ok so i got myself a used 8700c to try myself, and i like it much better compared to the treo's and never used email so this hasnt been an issue...

pixelated display.
    05-21-09 08:24 AM
    I am on the computer all day with email and surfing the net at my fingertips so I don't need a data plan with my BB. I use my curve as a pda. I like the calender,tasks and Mara Tick apps. Also I text quite a bit since I don't really like to talk that much.
    05-21-09 09:56 AM
    brewersc: That make sense, I'm in the same situation now, I have a computer at work and I'm thinking about reusing my Pearl with no data.
    05-21-09 11:08 AM
    I am on the computer all day with email and surfing the net at my fingertips so I don't need a data plan with my BB. I use my curve as a pda. I like the calender,tasks and Mara Tick apps. Also I text quite a bit since I don't really like to talk that much.
    My reasons as well, I am at a desktop all day, my laptop at home, so along with WiFi, I am rarely somewhere where I cannot get internet access. Plus I cant afford it at this time.
    05-21-09 11:10 AM
    I did not have a data plan for months and I was fine with it. I added it on a few months ago and while it does make my phone a whole lot more fun, I may take it back off for a while and save the money... my hubby is losing his job and somehow a BB data plan doesn't seem like a necessary expense. I'll miss it but I think I can live without it
    05-21-09 06:31 PM
    I didn't have a data plan with my pearl 8100 until i got an iPhone and now the Bold. I only liked the pearl for its little keyboard hehe. So tiny
    05-21-09 08:47 PM
    I used to not have a data with my 8700c (in Canada but bought it off e-bay) I too use it more for PDA stuff and have a lot of data, but I do more and more browsing and e-mail's everyday. I loved my treo 650
    05-21-09 08:51 PM
    I did not have the data plan for awhile because i lost my job and i was trying to cut expenses anyway I could.I eventually added it back on though because its like having a ferrari(blackberry) in your driveway but not having the keys to drive it
    05-21-09 08:58 PM
    My son uses a hand me down 7280 for voice and text only...loves it.

My wife uses and 8130 for the same reasons...doesn't love it because she's completely, utterly, and hopelessly non-technical.

I have two brothers and one sis in law who all have Curves without data plans. I try to tell them what they're missing, but they can't or won't spend the money on it.

To be honest, it's a helluva phone, text, and pda device without the data plan. But the data plan just opens up a whole new world of fun, adventure, convenience, and usability.
    05-21-09 11:20 PM
    It would be awesome if my wife had a Blackberry for Phone/PDA/Texting purposes. Yes I know there are devices out there that can do this without being a blackberry. And yes I know that not having data on a blackberry is like having a ferrari without the keys. But there are a few people out there that have brand loyalty, they also are on limited budgets so making a device that didn't need to have a data plan would be great for families.
    05-22-09 10:29 AM
    BlackBerry Curve - I did not take the data plan.

Basically don't need it.

Thought of Buying iPod but they don't sell it without data plan.

thought this is the second best.
    05-22-09 12:11 PM
    I'm on the brink of cancelling my BB plan. I lived without a data plan for so long and now that I've had it for a while, its just not worth it. I'll lose the GPS capability which was the biggest plus, and checking sport scores, but that's what my gps unit is for.

05-22-09 05:45 PM
    Well, if you're not interested in the apps and it is convenient to use wifi for email and internet, then why pay for the data plan?
    05-28-09 01:42 AM
    data plans are over priced anyway
    05-28-09 01:46 AM
    Not if you are on Orange UK :P
    It's unlimited data (500mb) for free
    Well it's clearly not unlimited but in one month I wont get through more than 24mb and I would say I am a heavy user!!!!
    05-28-09 04:56 AM
    That's intresting I always thought you NEEDED a data plan!

05-28-09 05:26 AM
    You need a data plan if you are using email, PIN, or pretty much any non-game application.

That being said, I don't have one not only because of cost, but also because I have another phone (AT&T Tilt) and an iPod Touch that both use WiFi that can be found all around campus. So I can surf the web, check email, and use map features where ever I want on campus. For off campus, I have TomTom on my tilt so I don't really need the GPS feature to work with data on Google Maps.

Plus I put MGMaps on my 8110, so worse case I use offline maps as well.

I've used my Tilt for 1.5 years without data and haven't missed it.
    05-28-09 06:44 AM
    I used mine for two days with no data. Why, cause I could not afford to pay for it. Then out of the goodness of their heart, sprint gave it to me for fffrrrrreee.

No wayyy! They gave you a free data plan? AT&T would probably cancel my plan if I asked for something free..
    05-28-09 09:24 AM
    Well I have one because I use email, bbm..., internet. But you don't really need to have one.

05-28-09 10:53 AM
    I used a bb for a year before I purchased the data plan, but I would not recommend having a bb without a data plan since it limits the phone to only phone and txt.
    05-28-09 12:28 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD