View Poll Results: Who wants auto-signature code to be fixed in BIS/BES?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • I DO! - It looks unprofessional as it is right now.

11 64.71%
  • I DON'T! - I'm fine with subpar RIM/Blackberry features.

6 35.29%
    Right now BIS/BES auto signatures are appended to the end of the email transmission as a whole. If you're writing an email and send it the auto signature is tagged at the bottom and looks fine on the receiving end, however when that person replies to you and you reply to them, that signature on the last reply from you gets added to the bottom of the entire email again, instead of at the bottom of your respective reply. When it's all said and done, after several emails back and forth with the receiver, you're left with a bunch of signatures at the bottom of the original email body which just looks stupid! And if the person you're emailing with is on a BB as well, it's even more of a stupid looking issue with basically signature tags from both of you at the bottom of the email thread. Almost 2011 and RIM still hasn't fixed this one small issue.

So, chime in if you want them to fix this please... Thanks!
    12-12-10 10:56 PM
    lmao i never noticed that before. When will RIM get out of the stoneage with truncation and other BIS/BES limits? With all the people leaving they should have extra bandwidth now lol
    12-12-10 11:07 PM
    I never had any family members, friends, or business contacts complain about the format of the BlackBerry signature. However, I agree that it would look more professional if it did not place the signature at the bottom of an email thread.
    12-12-10 11:13 PM
    I use AutoText for my signature(s) because of the strange way RIM does them. They almost seem like an after-thought when done through BIS (not sure how they work or are different on BES). I also use a number of signatures too (work, school, family, friends) and don't always pay attention to which email address I'm replying from.

I'd just like a easier way of using a signature, and a good placement of it. Maybe a preview, and/or choice of what it is and where it will go? I do agree that the signature should be a part of the actual email and not like a small blip at the very bottom of it that keeps on getting pushed further down.

Oh and truncated emails I hate them! One stupid attachment and the whole email can't be read, oh that pisses me off!
    12-13-10 12:13 AM
    I use AutoText for my signature(s) because of the strange way RIM does them. They almost seem like an after-thought when done through BIS (not sure how they work or are different on BES). I also use a number of signatures too (work, school, family, friends) and don't always pay attention to which email address I'm replying from.

I'd just like a easier way of using a signature, and a good placement of it. Maybe a preview, and/or choice of what it is and where it will go? I do agree that the signature should be a part of the actual email and not like a small blip at the very bottom of it that keeps on getting pushed further down.

Oh and truncated emails I hate them! One stupid attachment and the whole email can't be read, oh that pisses me off!
    Same here; luckily I can get away with not having a signature when emailing back and forth at work. The truncated emails have GOT to go though. We often need to use photos to document different aspects of production within the company, and most of the time we'll send a description of what's going on and then a second email with a picture just to get around truncating messages (because some of us forget to upload smaller sizes). But when someone sends you something attached with a set size limit, eh well, too bad.

[joke]Maybe the truncation is to make room for the ever-expanding signatures. [/joke]
    12-13-10 03:29 AM
    Coming from an iPhone, which has little to no signature control over various email accounts, the way that BB does it is so much better. It isn't perfect, but at least you can control each individual account.
    12-13-10 08:59 AM

I didn't vote, because I too use AutoText for Signatures, though I use them not because of this issue, which I had never noticed, but because I have multiple tailored signatures, depending on who I am emailing, and how I want them to respond
    12-13-10 05:43 PM
    This is why Civic is who she is, she finds things like this all the time. Right on...
    12-13-10 06:51 PM
    I hadn't noticed either, but I always hit the "remove original text" option before I start typing. Does that mean they would stack up endlessly if both parties keep hitting reply without removing the OT?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by albee 1; 12-13-10 at 09:53 PM.
    12-13-10 09:50 PM
    I hadn't noticed either, but I always hit the "remove original text" option before I start typing. Does that mean they would stack up endlessly if both parties keep hitting reply without removing the OT?

Yes, they'd keep stacking at the bottom of the email thread... like all the way at the bottom.

It's because of the way RIM coded the auto-signature to append to the body of the email. They didn't code it to look for specific text that might indicate a previous email, so they just append it to the end of the email body. Of course, this doesn't work when you're replying back and forth.

I've used other auto-signature software loaded onto an Exchange server to automate certain things for some users for various companies and those do the same goofball thing. Eventually, the software was phased out because the auto-signature handling was bullisht and looked unprofessional. We moved to other means of doing the singatures from within the local email client itself instead of letting the email server auto-stamp it on the way out (which is the way RIM has it setup to do it now). They need to make it where the local BB email client on the phone handles the email signatures, just like Android does it.
    12-13-10 11:16 PM
    This is why Civic is who she is, she finds things like this all the time. Right on...
    lol, thanks, but trust me... there's a lot more then this that I've found and sometimes don't bother reporting it. After a while (and because of the poor support we've seen from RIM in actually fixing these issues) it kind of becomes a lost cause. I've started to compare the bug tracking/fixing on Blackberry to the war on drugs.

As an example of a bug I haven't bothered to mention; there's a small bug in the threaded SMS code on BB under OS5 that if you get a message from someone and then delete that last message in the list, even though the previous message to the one you deleted might have been from a previous day, the threaded discussion is still stamped and filed under the day/date of the last message that was received/deleted. That's kind of annoying when you open the coversation and you see the thread should be backdated to the last message in the thread, but it's not. The threaded SMS database indexing code is a bit screwed and causes this bug.
    12-13-10 11:21 PM
    I have notice the sms thread anomaly. It also bothers me that if your having multiple text conversations at the same time it won't separate them into individual window panes. I don't know how many times I've answered a question from the first party and ended up replying to the second. Just to be answered back, Huh? Lol!

12-14-10 09:26 AM
    I have notice the sms thread anomaly. It also bothers me that if your having multiple text conversations at the same time it won't separate them into individual window panes. I don't know how many times I've answered a question from the first party and ended up replying to the second. Just to be answered back, Huh? Lol!

This is usually not a problem if you go in and back out of each conversation thread properly. It won't do it automatically, so that may be why you're having issues with it.

Also, back to the OP issues. Seems to be a hit and miss problem. Sometimes it works fine, other times it's messed up. It seems to work fine unless the person you're emailing back and forth with is on a BB. Then the signatures are messed up. If you're conversing with someone using a non-BB email clients, the signatures appear to work correctly and in the right place. This bug might be rooted in the simple-text format bug/issue that's been plaguing BB for a while now.
    12-14-10 10:46 AM
    Thanks for the input JRSC, it always seems like I'm in the middle of a convo when some one else texts. I'll back out next time, good advice.

Back to the OP, does it matter which email client you use or is it consistent to all?

12-14-10 11:50 AM
    Thanks for the input JRSC, it always seems like I'm in the middle of a convo when some one else texts. I'll back out next time, good advice.

Back to the OP, does it matter which email client you use or is it consistent to all?

No, I think the issue may be when people email thread back and forth with just Blackberry to Blackberry. I'm looking further into it... As of this AM, a long email thread between a single BB and others using standard PC based email clients has proper email signature handling on emails sent from the BB side of the conversation.
    12-14-10 01:05 PM
    So in other words the bb's don't have the ability to differentiate between whose reply is who's and a pc does. Wondering what happens if you change the Encoding? Or if it would matter?

12-14-10 02:28 PM
    I have just moved from iPhone to blackberry and not too thrilled about this issue. I have the same issue with my Bold 9900.
    09-03-11 03:45 PM
    One more AutoText for Signatures user and I prefer that as I use 3 different signatures depending on my need.

09-03-11 04:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD