If by "pals" you mean "brainwashed people who have invested so much time and money into this P.O.S. that they have to reflexively bash anybody who questions its perfection so that they can maintain the illusion that they didn't make a mistake, thus maintaining their self-image of infallibility" then you are 100% correct, sir.
    Blah blah blah... cry me a river. Get a different phone.
    07-23-08 10:15 AM
    If by "pals" you mean "brainwashed people who have invested so much time and money into this P.O.S. that they have to reflexively bash anybody who questions its perfection so that they can maintain the illusion that they didn't make a mistake, thus maintaining their self-image of infallibility" then you are 100% correct, sir.
    okay so let me get this straight, because you can't take it out of the box and automatically have it do exactly what you want it to do then you think its a P.O.S., hmmm.... i come to think you have wandered into the wrong place to start bashing a phone because you lack the common sense on how to sit down and take a little bit of time to really figure what this phone can do.
    07-23-08 10:16 AM
    As I said in my first post in here, BB's aren't for everyone. No one here is brainwashed, they just took the time to learn about their Blackberry. I owned a Treo for 2 years, and have had a Blackberry for almost one. IMO there is no comparison, and would never switch back. You obviously were looking for the type of responses that you've received, otherwise you would have asked for assistance with the issues you were having rather than bashing the device that this forum was created for. If you would like to learn more about your Curve, then post any questions you have - we'll be glad to help. There is also a "Other Smartphones" forum here - http://forums.crackberry.com/f21/
    if you have questions about or want to profess your love of all things Palm.

Have a great day.
    07-23-08 10:19 AM
    aww! bmcclure I was gonna ask if I could have it especially since the op prefers a treo

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-08 10:19 AM
    Before you go calling everyone who doesn't agree with you brainwashed, read the posts and check out other threads. As Jenay said most people here aren't about bashing other devices. Most of us love our BBs and find them very useful. If it's not the right device for you get something else, but I echo Jenay when I say every device has its problems and shortcomungs.
    07-23-08 10:22 AM
    Is this guy serious?
    07-23-08 10:23 AM
    As I said in my first post in here, BB's aren't for everyone. No one here is brainwashed, they just took the time to learn about their Blackberry. I owned a Treo for 2 years, and have had a Blackberry for almost one. IMO there is no comparison, and would never switch back. You obviously were looking for the type of responses that you've received, otherwise you would have asked for assistance with the issues you were having rather than bashing the device that this forum was created for. If you would like to learn more about your Curve, then post any questions you have - we'll be glad to help. There is also a "Other Smartphones" forum here - http://forums.crackberry.com/f21/
    if you have questions about or want to profess your love of all things Palm.

Have a great day.
    Great response Chaz. I have to agree!

aww! bmcclure I was gonna ask if I could have it especially since the op prefers a treo

Beat you to it!

Is this guy serious?
    I think so... unfortunately
    07-23-08 10:26 AM
    w/e, it was free, and worth every dime I paid for it. I shouldnt need a laptop to run simple business/personal apps that any other smartphone does, should I?
    You DONT need a laptop. But it appears U can't handle the device u have, as u are not willing to take a minute to find all the FREE aps out there for your phone. BB doens't overload the phone with stuff not everyone can use, but makes these apps available so YOU can design your own phone with what YOU need.......and that's SMART desgning!! That's what I was saying. But perhaps a diff phone would better suite u. If you are w/in your 30 days, swap it out! But I would personally be happy with a free bb......but they are not for everyone! Hope u find what u are looking for Eldergoth......
    07-23-08 10:32 AM
    Um, I think I speak for most members here when I say that no one here has a problem with other devices, and let me ask you something: Did you read my post at all? Did I not address every single thing you said? Go ahead. Read it. I'll wait.

Done? Ok good. Every single device out there has issues - EVERY SINGLE ONE. In fact, everything in LIFE has issues! Cell phones, cars, appliances, heck, even PEOPLE. Nothing is absolutely perfect. And if you aren't willing to take the time to learn about things and get used to them and find ways around those imperfections, well, that's your issue. Not ours.

Now. Don't you have a Treo forum you should be registering for? Thanks for trying out, rookie.
    Darling, i would happily reply to it point by point, except you aren't bright enough to put your replies outside quotes, and it isn't worth the time to cut and paste. Oh ****, here goes....

This is a cell phone, not a laptop. And in addition, this is why the "memoury chip" is referred to as a MEDIA CARD. It is for just that - MEDIA.

Where did I make the "memoury chip" typo that you are harping on so strongly, as you cant address the real points effectively? Its certainly not in my original, unedited post. OK, so its a media card. I wouldnt need to use it as native memory if this POS had enough of its own.

Do your research - the new 4.5 OS offers Docs to Go. And as far as a "real" scheduler - what is wrong with the calender and tasks applications? Are they, um, fake???

You mean that thing thats in beta now? Let me become a beta tester so that I can use basic functions that real smartphone owners have as standard. I wouldnt call the calendar/task apps fake. I would certainly call them underfeatured, unintuitive, should be combined into one app, ugly, etc.

Bouncing off the memoury ceiling... Ok I am not quite sure what you are trying to say here.. But I assume you are referring to the known "memoury leak." If you had searched and read through this forum before posting this, you would know that we are all aware of this, and have numerous tips to all but eliminate this issue.

Again with the "memoury" thing. Are you having eyesight issues? I refer not to memory leakage, but to the lack of enough natively addressable memory to run the simple things that come standard on a real smartphone. There are apps out there, yes, aside from the relative difficulty of having to download and install versus out-of-the-box, they are limited in their functions and aesthetics by the lack of memory space.

Oh I'm sorry - I must be mistaken. I thought there were forums online for pretty much EVERYTHING.. From other cell phones, to cars, to new mums, to wedding planning, to masochism..... Hmm.

Well i can certainly see BB devotees as masochists, the way they put themselves through **** to make these things functional. However you miss my point. A user of a real smartphone (ok it gets tricky here, try to stay with me) doesnt have to be a forum junkie to make his/her phone do the things a smartphone needs to

Again, do your research. There are tons of great free apps out there. But like everything in life, stuff costs money. Sorry if some applications cost money due to the fact that, gasp, some companies design things to turn a profit. What a novel concept!

Have you ever owned a real smartphone? They have actual tons of free software. BB's have a trickle of it, and what there is of it is anemic in comparison. RIM charges its developers. Their competitors dont. Which do you think will have better freeware? You are paying RIM for things that you should have as basic to any smartphone. Yeah, i should have done my research, but it was free, so what the hell? I thought I was getting a smartphone. I wasn't. I got an email toy. Weeee.
    07-23-08 10:33 AM
    Eldergoth, had you posted questions without behaving like a 12 year old condescending, rude asshat you would have gotten a different reception. However since you are keen to ignore any valid offers to help, instead focusing on being as arrogant, insulting, rude and obnoxious as possible, don't you DARE try to come off as the injured party.

Enjoy your treo.

07-23-08 10:38 AM
    Wow!!! This turned in to a war zone pretty quick!! Is their something we can help you figure out with your BB, or would you rather just bash the phone and everybody that uses it?

07-23-08 10:44 AM
    Eldergoth, had you posted questions without behaving like a 12 year old condescending, rude asshat you would have gotten a different reception. However since you are keen to ignore any valid offers to help, instead focusing on being as arrogant, insulting, rude and obnoxious as possible, don't you DARE try to come off as the injured party.

Enjoy your treo.

I wasn't asking for help. I'm perfectly capable of determining for myself that this is not really a smartphone, now that I've had some time to play with it. And if you'll look back to page one, I didn't start with the "arrogant, insulting, rude and obnoxious" behavior. Oh, I'm sorry, since i dont worship the BB, I'm supposed to shut up and take it? All I did was vent some frustrations about missing features that I had expected from this "smartphone" i was getting, features that are basic, innate, and out-of-the-box for the BB's competitors. The RIM zealots had to get offensive about it. They're as bad as Apple fanboys.
    Last edited by Eldergoth; 07-23-08 at 10:47 AM.
    07-23-08 10:44 AM
    Wow. What a crabby user. I love my berry. Hope you figure it out cause I do not think your berry is the problem.
    07-23-08 10:48 AM
    You are still being a ****. At least own it.

You came here looking for a fight, every response you had was beyond rude, and don't try to pretend otherwise. No, the fanbois are no better but surely you knew the response to the tone of your initial post would be strong. You got what you came for.

However when offered help by bmcclure and jenay you got insulting and downright sexist in jenays case. So instead of wasting our time and kevins bandwidth, return the damn phone, go back to your treo, have a happy life.

07-23-08 10:49 AM
    Eldergoth,

Take a hike, there is no need for this here...... Bashing is not what this place is about.... I'm sure the mod's will be here shortly to take out the trash .........

Damn kids....... ******** grow up....
    07-23-08 10:51 AM
    Smartphone: a mobile telephone with extended features as a personal digital assistant, Internet browser, etc.
    In terms of features, most smartphones support full featured email capabilities with the functionality of a complete personal organizer.

Blackberry's ARE smartphones.
    Although you didn't start out rude, you did post in a BlackBerry forum, where you had to know BlackBerry users/fans would read it and respond as such. I'm not sure why you would have expected anything other than the replies you've received.
    07-23-08 10:52 AM
    they have been notified
    07-23-08 10:53 AM
    You know what I think this thread needs? I simple put end to the insanity. You know what I say about our new "CB member"????

"You ARE the weakest link......GOODBYE!"
    07-23-08 10:53 AM
    Originally Posted by Eldergoth
    If this was a smartphone, I could plug in a memory chip and it would use it as more than a glorified Zip drive, it would treat it as native, usable memory.

This is a cell phone, not a laptop. And in addition, this is why the "memoury chip" is referred to as a MEDIA CARD. It is for just that - MEDIA.

The BlackBerry SmartPhone is designed to serarate secure corporate data stored in the Device Memory from the easily removable Media Card. This is stored under the battery so that the BES administrator can see that someone has removed the battery. So this is a DESIGN FEATURE not a big.

If this was a smartphone, it would have a few basic applications pre-loaded, a real scheduler, word processor (I have a mini keyboard, ffs), Office document viewers, etc.

Do your research - the new 4.5 OS offers Docs to Go. And as far as a "real" scheduler - what is wrong with the calender and tasks applications? Are they, um, fake???

Email attachments are easily opened and are supported in a large number of format which are being added to all the time at the server end. There are several 3rd party products that will allow email attachment saving, MS Office document opening, editing, creation and deletion. The vendors are the same ones who sell them for other phones.

If this was a smartphone, users wouldnt be bouncing off the memory ceiling when they finally get the thing sorted out.

Bouncing off the memoury ceiling... Ok I am not quite sure what you are trying to say here.. But I assume you are referring to the known "memoury leak." If you had searched and read through this forum before posting this, you would know that we are all aware of this, and have numerous tips to all but eliminate this issue.

I have never seen what all the fuss is about with the BlackBerry's memory. It is a finite device just like my 4Gb PC. If I load too much stuff into that, it slows down. ALL computers slow down when you put too much stuff into them. It is simply a case of personal management. If you cannot do that with regard to memory based devices then maybe you should not own ANY.

If this was a smartphone, I could open the box, activate it, and not have to become a forum junkie to make it do the things a smartphone should, and it would do them without spending a couple hundred bucks on cobbled together crap software from little one man shops.

Oh I'm sorry - I must be mistaken. I thought there were forums online for pretty much EVERYTHING.. From other cell phones, to cars, to new mums, to wedding planning, to masochism..... Hmm.

Also not real sure what "cobbed together crap software" refers to...

If you were a smart user, you would recognize that ALL modern devices require setting up and a certain amount of comittment prior to use. I have owned 4 different BlackBerry SmartPhones and have so far not spent anywhere near $200 on extra software. Ture some fortware is crap but there is as much crap software out there for other devices as for the BlackBerry.

If this was a smartphone, i would have my pick of freeware apps for virtually anything i wanted to do with it, instead of one mediocre payware or subscription service and a couple freeware competitors that cant be relied upon to work consistently.

Again, do your research. There are tons of great free apps out there. But like everything in life, stuff costs money. Sorry if some applications cost money due to the fact that, gasp, some companies design things to turn a profit. What a novel concept!

Do you really rate yourself so low that you use freeware for one of your prime uman functions; communication. Seriously if you do then you are really quite a sad, sad person. Free software is pretty much worth what you pay for it im my 30 year association with software.

The BB is a one-trick pony (push email) that is finding out that all the other ponies are learning its trick. Boy did I make a mistake taking the free "upgrade" my carrier offered. Meh, Treo's will be that much cheaper in a year. At least the QWERTY keyboard makes writing emails easier.

The BlackBerry's major trick is to be quite simply the best smartphone on the market today. It currently comes in at least nine different iterations and they all work in a way that is easy to use which makes it CHEAP for corporations to train their employees to use the BlackBerry. If it were not cheap to do this then corporations would not have equipped their employees with them in the millions. As to your pont of push email, the BlackBerry's true trick is to make push email so secure that the Indian Government were unable to crack it. Other products do not even come close to this level of securtiy. Again, there is your corporate connection again.

You Sir, need to understand just what you have in your BlackBerry.

There is, however one thing that I have never, ever found in these forums and that is a way to cancel my membership. I wish that this were a feature of CrackBerry for I wish that in all sincerity that you, Sir would do just that.

Nonetheless should you decide to read the manual and realise what a true miracle of design and technology you got for nothing then I for one will be only too happy to help you get more from it.

IN CRACKBERRY YOU ONLY EVER HAVE TO ASK.

Jenay, I hijacked you post, sorry but what with us both bein' Genuses an' all, I figured that the aging goth here might just git da message. Then again, prob'ly not.

Colors look pretty tho.
    Last edited by Pete6; 07-23-08 at 11:01 AM.
    07-23-08 10:55 AM
    jeez ---
    this is like a yuppie walking into a biker bar, asking for a latt�, then after getting beat down.... he chooses to stay around for a while.

if you don't like it... get rid of it. i'll take it.

if you decide you like it... change your tone, and join in on the fun.
    07-23-08 10:59 AM
    I wasn't asking for help. I'm perfectly capable of determining for myself that this is not really a smartphone, now that I've had some time to play with it. And if you'll look back to page one, I didn't start with the "arrogant, insulting, rude and obnoxious" behavior. Oh, I'm sorry, since i dont worship the BB, I'm supposed to shut up and take it? All I did was vent some frustrations about missing features that I had expected from this "smartphone" i was getting, features that are basic, innate, and out-of-the-box for the BB's competitors. The RIM zealots had to get offensive about it. They're as bad as Apple fanboys.
    And you're a F***** id!ot. Reading all your wannabe witty thesaurus spawned posts is making me laugh my azz off. Before I pis*s myself in laughter, go away so I don't have to get up out of my computer chair to take a pee
    07-23-08 10:59 AM
    Lol!
    The weakest link crack was priceless.
    Give the free phone back and get on with your life.

07-23-08 11:19 AM

The BlackBerry's major trick is to be quite simply the best smartphone on the market today. It currently comes in at least nine different iterations and they all work in a way that is easy to use which makes it CHEAP for corporations to train their employees to use the BlackBerry. If it were not cheap to do this then corporations would not have equipped their employees with them in the millions.

Wow, I was going to reply to your points, but the quoted text here "quite simply the best smartphone on the market today" has me convinced that you're delusional. The best version on the market has, what, 128K of memory available for applications? Hello, Commodore 128 that I owned somewhere around 1986. Whats the iPhone up to now, 16GB (not that im a huge fan of Apple, but the memory comparison is still valid)? Give me a shout when they make a Blackberry as powerful as the Amiga that I replaced the C128 with in 1988. Yes, im aware they are measured in K, not Megs, I'm making a point here. 64/128MB isn't enough.

Best smartphone on the market today? Its not even a smartphone. Never should have listened to people who said it was the best thing since sliced bread. Its great for big business. For small business users like me? Not so much. I was led to believe that it would be, like its competitors, a laptop replacement, at least situationally. Pay attention there, i said situationally, i.e. times you dont need full-scale apps. Phones are getitng to the point that they can, at times, substitute for a laptop. The Curve isn't there, and I don't see RIM making anything that is capable of that without a serious shift in their thinking.

Big business wants thin client hardware. Small business wants miniature PC's. Consumers want something in-between. All I see from RIM currently is big business thinking. Even the Storm, or whatever they are calling it these days, looks to be a half-measure. Wish I'd known this all beforehand insteard of relying on recommendations from Crack(berry)heads.
    Last edited by Eldergoth; 07-23-08 at 11:33 AM.
    07-23-08 11:24 AM
    Wow, I was going to reply to your points, but the quoted text here "quite simply the best smartphone on the market today" has me convinced that you're delusional. The best version on the market has, what, 128K of memory available for applications? Hello, Commodore 128 that I owned somewhere around 1986. Whats the iPhone up to now, 16GB (not that im a huge fan of Apple, but the memory comparison is still valid)? Give me a shout when they make a Blackberry as powerful as the Amiga that I replaced the C128 with in 1988.

Best smartphone on the market today? Its not even a smartphone. Never should have listened to people who said it was the best thing since sliced bread. Its great for big business. For small business users like me? Not so much. I was led to believe that it would be, like its competitors, a laptop replacement, at least situationally. Pay attention there, i said situationally, i.e. times you dont need full-scale apps. Phones are getitng to the point that they can, at times, substitute for a laptop. The Curve isn't there, and I don't see RIM making anything that is capable of that without a serious shift in their thinking.

Big business wants thin client hardware. Small business wants miniature PC's. Consumers want something in-between. All I see from RIM currently is big business thinking. Even the Storm, or whatever they are calling it these days, looks to be a half-measure. Wish I'd known this all beforehand insteard of relying on recommendations from Crack(berry)heads.
    You just don't know when to drop it do you......
    07-23-08 11:27 AM
    And I absolutely *love* the whole attitude of these forums. "If you are not one of us, go away!!!" "If you have any concerns with this phone, you must humbly ask us, the gods of this forum, and you must talk around any possible criticism of the phone or its maker" "OMG UR T TEH STOOPID COZ UR NOT LIEK TEH BB" Please, I have yet to hear how this hunk of crap I was talked into is really a smartphone, despite its 64MB
    07-23-08 11:31 AM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD