Lol this thread made me curious to play around with the pic editor on my phone since I've never really done it. I just take pics and send them without adding a filter or effect. But this stuff is kinda cool!

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...2-02122330.png
    I LIKE it!!!!!! It is loads of fun!!!!

I take family pics and use the different effects, then share them with the list of contacts I've got loaded on the app, in FB and in Twitter.

As far as my groups, I can take a pic and share it with the people in my groups who are in my list.

It's twofold, editing and sharing on my network.
    12-02-12 05:42 PM
    But that's kinda the point. It proves that Photo Studio isn't exactly a substitute for Instagram because Instagram *IS* it's own social network in addition to editing photos and sharing them on fb, twitter, etc. Heck most phones' stock camera app can do that now.
    It's not on BB. It's irrelevant.
    The go-to, canned, automatic response for all the apps that BB is missing that the other platforms have.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    12-02-12 05:45 PM
    Interesting how someone so gorgeous can be so crazy...

*flees*
    *throws paper wad at tre* And thank you :P.
    12-02-12 05:48 PM
    For those who say its not just about the filters, then what is it about. Without filters, you are posting an image to Facebook and Twitter through a third-party application - which would be pretty pointless don't you think. Look, I get what Instagram is about now, BUT the relevancy of the social component was an after thought. The filters drove the application (IMO).

I simply call Instagram popular by the Apple effect - if popular on the iPhone, its so cool and unique. When just about every phone has the Instagram filters natively, Instagram will seem extremely useless as you can then skip the third party and upload directly to Twitter or Facebook.
    12-02-12 06:03 PM
    For those who say its not just about the filters, then what is it about. Without filters, you are posting an image to Facebook and Twitter through a third-party application - which would be pretty pointless don't you think. Look, I get what Instagram is about now, BUT the relevancy of the social component was an after thought. The filters drove the application (IMO).

I simply call Instagram popular by the Apple effect - if popular on the iPhone, its so cool and unique. When just about every phone has the Instagram filters natively, Instagram will seem extremely useless as you can then skip the third party and upload directly to Twitter or Facebook.

You are not looking at Instagram outside the restrictive prism of Twitter and FB. Think of it as a social network in ADDITION to FB and Twitter.

I wouldn't even argue that the filtering made it popular, or that there are not better filter apps available. I could also argue that there are better social utilities than FB, but that does change the fact that size makes FB the giant.

In and of itself, Instagram is a popular app that makes BB10 that more attractive.
    12-02-12 06:10 PM

actually no you dont. You can just upload to instagram if you want, no twitter or facebook post required. It can be a complete standalone network if you so choose
    12-02-12 06:13 PM

I see your point, but you can say that about anything. What's the point of Twitter? You can post pics and updates on Facebook. Whats the point of Facebook? On Myspace you can add friends, pics, and status updates.

Instagram is the same way, except its a mobile social network. It JUST recently added a web version. And like the previous poster said, Instagram can be used as a standalone app. Within the app you can follow people and be followed. No Twitter or Facebook required.

There will always be a new popular app. Next year there will be a new thing and mobile devices will need to catch up.
    12-02-12 06:14 PM

Except that I first used it on the Skyrocket....

And if it is cool on Apple and cool on Android, why not use it?

Or is it that because it is cool on Apple and on Android, then it should not be on BB?

I have said it a million times before and I'll say it again....

1) Take a pic
    2) Apply cool filters to the pic
    3) Share the pic
    a) on FB
    b) on Twitter
    c) with people outside my family and *in the flesh* friends but with whom I share an interest

Is it really THAT difficult to understand that it's

1) a filter
    2) a sharing app

filter/sharing
    sharing/filter

Clear?

And I could not care a flying fig which came first, sharing or filters. The point is that it's got both and I use both. And every time I want to use it I have to put my BB down and take out my iPhone or my Skyrocket.
    Actually, I lie....increasingly so, the device that has become more and more irrelevant to me is my BB because really all I use it for these days are BBM and banking apps. If my *one* BBM contact who remains from my loved ones would get WhatsApp, I would leave BB where it spends most of its time....at the bottom of my bag or in my kitchen drawer.

*IT* has become irrelevant.
    12-02-12 06:17 PM
    I see your point, but you can say that about anything. What's the point of Twitter? You can post pics and updates on Facebook. Whats the point of Facebook? On Myspace you can add friends, pics, and status updates.

Instagram is the same way, except its a mobile social network. It JUST recently added a web version.

There will always be a new popular app. Next year there will be a new thing.
    I also see your point, but you have to admit that it's all about the filters. And I'm not saying its pointless now, but most likely will be when similar filters are native on all devices OR the trend gets old. I rather not have to manage more than two social media accounts. It then become a job and not fun.

Also, I will say that Twitter and Facebook are worlds of difference. Twitter is trend/topic based conversations. It's all about the chatter. There's not sharing your entire life on Twitter like on Facebook. Lets save this for another forum.
    12-02-12 06:23 PM
    I know several self-described "creatives" who eschew Twitter and Facebook and primarily use Instagram for networking. One also uses Google+.
    12-02-12 06:27 PM
    I also see your point, but you have to admit that it's all about the filters. And I'm not saying its pointless now, but most likely will be when similar filters are native on all devices OR the trend gets old. I rather not have to manage more than two social media accounts. It then become a job and not fun.

Also, I will say that Twitter and Facebook are worlds of difference. Twitter is trend/topic based conversations. It's all about the chatter. There's not sharing your entire life on Twitter like on Facebook. Lets save this for another forum.
    So your point is that because *in the future* there will be native filters on all devices or the trend gets old, that BB should not add Instagram and not catch up to the present today????? Because you, a majority of one as opposed to the oh, couple of dozen people who use Instagram, chooses not to have it?
    Seriously? That's the argument you're going with? OK....you go with that.
    12-02-12 06:30 PM
    I don't see why this topic ran for 6 pages. When people say RIM is behind, it's true because BBOS doesn't have features the competitors provide as standard fitment. RIM did fall behind for other reasons of course, but it's true it still doesn't have Instagram, Netflix, Skype and so on.

For the apologists who say we don't use/require/need/feel it, there are others who use/require/need/feel it. Nobody is forcing you folks to use it. H3ck, it's like saying my 1980 civic only plays the radio because I don't use/require/need the flash drive (when it indeed doesn't have the function). Choice is the democratic way of life. Folks can use this choice to accept or deny something, but cannot deny that choice.
    12-02-12 07:00 PM
    i think BB should have Instagram, but nobody "needs" it!. i believe it'll be on BB10.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-02-12 07:00 PM
    It's clear that some people in this thread don't know what what Instagram fully is.

Facebook did not pay $1 billion for Instagram because it needed a photo filter/editor.

Instagram is a photo-sharing app, and more importantly, a self contained, widely popular social network.

It's an app that epitomizes the power of mobile, and using apps strictly for content delivery. At the time of acquisition Instagram had 30 million registered users. Making it widely popular, and the #5 social network.

Basically, RIM absolutely must get apps of this caliber of popularity on board, or BB10 is crippled out the gate. It's not negotiable or optional. It's absolutely a must.
    12-02-12 07:04 PM
    Who needs email on a phone? I never use it. I can send the same message in a text message. If I wanted email I would just wait until I got home and turned on my computer..........
    12-02-12 07:07 PM
    I know several self-described "creatives" who eschew Twitter and Facebook and primarily use Instagram for networking. One also uses Google+.
    Speaking of Google+, google just decided to add me to it a few days ago and started suggesting friends. Just another reason not to trust Google for me.
    12-02-12 07:19 PM
    Who needs email on a phone? I never use it. I can send the same message in a text message. If I wanted email I would just wait until I got home and turned on my computer..........
    And GPS! Talk about useless. If I wanted GPS I'd get a garmin. And wifi? Useless with an unlimited data plan!
    12-02-12 07:19 PM
    Speaking of Google+, google just decided to add me to it a few days ago and started suggesting friends. Just another reason not to trust Google for me.
    So you have a google account? Do you use gmail? Have you corresponded with other gmail users? Do you subscribe to any channels on youtube? Or Latitude? Were these people listed as the friends it suggested or were they completely random?

One thing I don't like about Facebook is that if you click on someone's profile or picture that you don't have as a friend, it suggests you to them as someone you might know. I also think it's weird that it suggests people you have one mutual friend with. But that doesn't keep me from using Facebook.

Same with Twitter. It suggests people that my friends are following. That doesn't necessarily mean I want to follow them as well. I still use Twitter.
    12-02-12 07:28 PM
    And GPS! Talk about useless. If I wanted GPS I'd get a garmin. And wifi? Useless with an unlimited data plan!
    While the above is a parody, very similar arguments have been given before with complete seriousness. It's unbelievable sometimes.
    12-02-12 07:30 PM
    So you have a google account? Do you use gmail? Have you corresponded with other gmail users? Do you subscribe to any channels on youtube? Or Latitude? Were these people listed as the friends it suggested or were they completely random?

One thing I don't like about Facebook is that if you click on someone's profile or picture that you don't have as a friend, it suggests you to them as someone you might know. I also think it's weird that it suggests people you have one mutual friend with. But that doesn't keep me from using Facebook.

Same with Twitter. It suggests people that my friends are following. That doesn't necessarily mean I want to follow them as well. I still use Twitter.
    They were gmail contacts that were suggested but I only use the email and never ever clicked on Google+

Actually I haven't logged into Google on a computer in many months.

But now apparently I have a Google+ profile.
    12-02-12 07:31 PM
    They were gmail contacts that were suggested but I only use the email and never ever clicked on Google+

I tried G+ awhile ago. It was fun for like a day, but like you mentioned earlier in this thread, I didn't need yet another social network to keep track of. However, I do use the G+ Messenger on my phone. It's kind of like a watered down BBM and allows group chats, photo sharing, and video chats. But I never get any alerts, emails, etc about G+ itself even though I'm using the messenger.

We're getting off topic, lol.
    12-02-12 07:41 PM

Well that whole Google+ thing was a nice random diversion from the "I don't like Instagram so nobody should have it because it's irrelevant" thing....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    pantlesspenguin and mikeo007 like this.
    12-02-12 07:46 PM

Google's plans with regards to G+ have been fairly well known. I believe G+ will encase your new Google profile.

But I figured with your distrust of Google, you would have completely deleted your Google account by now...
    12-02-12 07:46 PM
    Google's plans with regards to G+ have been fairly well known. I believe G+ will encase your new Google profile.

But I figured with your distrust of Google, you would have completely deleted your Google account by now...
    That's what I was thinking. No google, no google maps, no youtube...
    12-02-12 07:50 PM
    Who needs it? BB10 needs it, along with other bigtime apps if it doesn't want to fail like we've never seen anything fail before. That's who.
    12-03-12 12:13 AM
249 ... 45678 ...