A lot of times I see pictures posted on FB or Twitter using Instagram of people's dinner plates...or see people taking pictures of their plates when we dine out. I would understand if it's some amazing, artistic dish that you don't see around often or something interesting like that but often they're common dishes. I seriously don't understand this new fad...if it's that. I'm not saying everyone does this but I find it more common than I would expect.

Lol, I know exactly what you are talking about. When I was on a Cruise with my family last Christmas, I sat by my cousin who would take pictures of what she ordered. I mean it was a Cruise. You have to have something to remember that good time, and I believe she was using Instagram AND FaceBook too.
    12-01-12 11:55 PM
    I agree, why do we need a second social network to share pictures, Facebook does the job for me. And there are certainly better photo editing app and programs.

Jon
    I guess one could also say something like... "why do we need a another mobile OS, there's already Android and iOS."
    12-02-12 01:36 AM
    I guess one could also say something like... "why do we need a another mobile OS, there's already Android and iOS."
    Or another way of saying, "Why do we need another IPhone?, It always stays the same...with a home button." Lol.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    12-02-12 01:39 AM
    i dont think it has anything to do with someone being a RIM fanboy. If anything it's more about Instagram fanboys rather than BB Fanboys here. I personally would not use it no matter what platform I use. I have no use for it. Any pics I want to share with people, they will get it. It's people that use this service versus people that do not.

You could have one of the millions of iOS or Android users who don't use this app also call people on Instagram sheep.
    Everybody has different habits and preferences. This may be hard to believe, but there exist a large subset of the general population who enjoy sharing photos with people they don't know. I realize some people find this behavior odd, but it is something that exists. There also exists another subset of the general population who enjoy looking at random photos taken by random people on random subjects. Again, I understand some people don't find this kind activity interesting at all, but such people who enjoy this kind of thing do exist. The problem for RIM is that there's apparently 100 million of them, and a lot of them want to use their smartphones to post and view these photos.
    Rello likes this.
    12-02-12 01:44 AM
    Everybody has different habits and preferences. This may be hard to believe, but there exist a large subset of the general population who enjoy sharing photos with people they don't know. I realize some people find this behavior odd, but it is something that exists. There also exists another subset of the general population who enjoy looking at random photos taken by random people on random subjects. Again, I understand some people don't find this kind activity interesting at all, but such people who enjoy this kind of thing do exist. The problem for RIM is that there's apparently 100 million of them, and a lot of them want to use their smartphones to post and view these photos.
    You missed the point. I was simply pointing out that the people here who said they don't use it didn't say so only because this is not on a RIM device. If there are 100 mmillion people who use Instagram, there are 200 million more who do not and would not and it has nothing to do with whatever platform runs their smartphone. I personally know people on iOS and Android who do not use it in any fashion.

Thats all. Very simple point to bring some balance to it all.
    12-02-12 02:02 AM
    Thank u...
    I couldn't have said it better. There are more instagram users than BB users...and that margin is growing everyday. How can people not realize that BB10 needs to have instagram (and other big apps) if its to ever steal back market share?!? If people want instagram, they have to eventually pick a certain platform...that's potentially 100 million people who won't chose BB at this time because they can't get the instagram experience. Why miss out on that?

Being a "instagram fanboi" is irrelevant in my opinion because either way u need to pick a platform to use it. Once again, many people in this community will spin it in RIM's favor for why they believe something isn't needed that the competition has. It gets old
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    12-02-12 02:26 AM
    You missed the point. I was simply pointing out that the people here who said they don't use it didn't say so only because this is not on a RIM device. If there are 100 mmillion people who use Instagram, there are 200 million more who do not and would not and it has nothing to do with whatever platform runs their smartphone. I personally know people on iOS and Android who do not use it in any fashion.

Thats all. Very simple point to bring some balance to it all.
    I see what u are saying but with that logic, that are 1 billion people using facebook....that means another 7 billion aren't. Imagine if BB's couldn't use facebook. That's 1 billion potential customers they are losing because their devices can't access this program. Bottom line, RIM can't afford to ignore the fact that they don't have this app on their platform....no matter what people that will never use it will say
    12-02-12 02:43 AM
    I'm sure that RIM will find the way to solve it.
    12-02-12 02:54 AM
    I can say with some degree of certainty that I do miss Instagram
    12-02-12 03:00 AM
    A lot of times I see pictures posted on FB or Twitter using Instagram of people's dinner plates...or see people taking pictures of their plates when we dine out. I would understand if it's some amazing, artistic dish that you don't see around often or something interesting like that but often they're common dishes. I seriously don't understand this new fad...if it's that. I'm not saying everyone does this but I find it more common than I would expect.

Interesting.

There is someone on this site who travels a lot, and when he is in a restaurant and is eating something amazing he sends me a pic.

He does it with his BB. And he does it because he is far away from me. NEWSFLASH: when people love each other, they do this silly little thing called SHARING. Can you conceptualise that? What do YOU care about what he shares with me?

Is that OK then, because he uses a BB?

The insolent arrogance of these apologists is astounding.

What does ANYONE care about how anyone else uses their phone or what parts of their lives they share? How does that impact the conversation that a particular app that is, as countless others, missing in BB is EXTREMELY popular with the consumers who will open their wallets and BUY a device based in the usability of that device? And when looking at how they will use their device, if they have a list of apps they use and they don't see in BB they will BUY an iPhone or an Android?

Here is how I use Instagram....border collie group, golden retriever group, german shepherd group, sheepherding group, equestrian sports group, friends on both coasts, friends across the pond, family EVERYWHERE. I take a pic or see something I want to share, edit it, and send it to a select group based on specific interests and/or relationships.

And because BB doesn't have it, I use a platform that gives me the opportunity to SHARE with the people in my life. Sue me.

Quit the arrogant apologist defence of RIM's shortcomings. They ignored the consumers, the consumers spoke with their wallets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 12-02-12 at 04:45 AM.
    12-02-12 04:11 AM
    Between BBM, Facebook, Twitter, CrackBerry and N4BB I have absolutely no time for another social platform.

To be honest I'm not sure who's loosing, Instagram or BlackBerry? I supposed BB wasn't hip enough for the hipsters but all the BB owners have found other channels to share their filtered photos.

I'd say for me it's too late, Instagram has left it too late to join BlackBerry, I don't have time for it now and I've already purchased Poto Studio Pro on my BB and incidently, it became available on my PlayBook too at no extra cost.
    12-02-12 04:18 AM
    i dont think it has anything to do with someone being a RIM fanboy. If anything it's more about Instagram fanboys rather than BB Fanboys here. I personally would not use it no matter what platform I use. I have no use for it. Any pics I want to share with people, they will get it. It's people that use this service versus people that do not.

You could have one of the millions of iOS or Android users who don't use this app also call people on Instagram sheep.
    Then don't use it.

But I want it.

What right have you to deny me something I want?

12-02-12 04:33 AM
    I use Instagram all the time. When I was deployed I used social networking to stay in contact with friends and family.

I continue to use it now that I am home as well. All my pics on FB get posted through Instagram.

It's in RIM's interest to have the widest pool of popular apps as possible. There is no app moral high ground that makes a person more enlightened by bucking the trends.
    12-02-12 04:55 AM
    There is no app moral high ground that makes a person more enlightened by bucking the trends.
    BRILLIANT!!!!!

I actually LOVE this.

The arrogant BB apologists feel somehow superior in view of the flaws and the weaknesses in BB.

It's astonishing.

CHOICE is good. It wins sales.

notfanboy and mikeo007 like this.
    12-02-12 05:01 AM
    I use Instagram all the time. When I was deployed I used social networking to stay in contact with friends and family.

I continue to use it now that I am home as well. All my pics on FB get posted through Instagram.

It's in RIM's interest to have the widest pool of popular apps as possible. There is no app moral high ground that makes a person more enlightened by bucking the trends.
    Of course not but when BB owners that are left out by Instagram for such a long time but they need/want to hold on to their BB for other reasons have no choice but to buck the trend and use other apps/social platforms. I have no doubt many will join Instagram as soon as it's available but not everybody will.
    12-02-12 05:33 AM
    BRILLIANT!!!!!

I actually LOVE this.

The arrogant BB apologists feel somehow superior in view of the flaws and the weaknesses in BB.

It's astonishing.

CHOICE is good. It wins sales.

You're starting to sound like you're on a personal mission against "blackberry apologists" but you forget you used to be one.
    12-02-12 05:36 AM
    You're starting to sound like you're on a personal mission against "blackberry apologists" but you forget you used to be one.
    lol must agree i was feeling the same way as you reading this post, i dont quite understand why someone who disagrees with someone else is a `BB apologist`, much in the same way if opinion swings the other way they are automatically a troll. everyone has their own opinions, and you`ll never get thru life without meeting someone with a different opinion to you. calling them apologists or trolls simply because of different viewpoint is very narrow minded imho.
    12-02-12 05:47 AM
    lol must agree i was feeling the same way as you reading this post, i dont quite understand why someone who disagrees with someone else is a `BB apologist`, much in the same way if opinion swings the other way they are automatically a troll. everyone has their own opinions, and you`ll never get thru life without meeting someone with a different opinion to you. calling them apologists or trolls simply because of different viewpoint is very narrow minded imho.
    I know right? Take my wife for example, she barely uses Facebook, she has no use for Twitter or Instagram as she's a very private person, she only needs BBM/Email/SMS/physical buttons and she finds even the 9790 too big her previous BBs being Pearl and Pearl 3G.

She needs nothing else, is she a "BlackBerry Apologist"? Probably no BB10 device will suit her needs, she will never carry a L or N sized phone.
    12-02-12 06:04 AM
    A BB apologist that I refer to is one who takes a weakness and then rationalises and justifies why that weakness is advantageous to the platform. THAT is an apologist. Since someone recently questioned my English comprehension, I offer a definition of the word "apologist."

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/apologist

Prefer not to use the app all you want, that's neither here nor there to me. But to find fault with the availability or the use of it by those who do like it is taking a weakness and turning it into a desirable attribute.

And kindly show me where I called anyone a troll. Do NOT put words in my mouth to support an indefensible argument. That shows the weakness in your position that CHOICE is not desirable. Don't like it, don't use it. But don't deny ME the right to have it available. Or, in its absence, I will simply do what I did and contribute to Apple's and Samsung's margins of profit and increase in marketshare by repeatedly going to them for products and for the apps they do have.

And to Belfast, whom you've quoted and whose posts I don't see unless quoted....yes, I used to be a blackberry apologist, until I opened my eyes, developed an open mind, and discovered that those platforms that I used to malign all have features I now value and use. Such as Instagram.

In other words, I opened my mind, educated myself, and removed the fanboi - or fangirl - blinders.

Amazing the big world there is out there when you open your mind to possibilities.
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 12-02-12 at 06:47 AM.
    12-02-12 06:33 AM
    It offers the same social features as Instagram and also has a rather large user base. Google it.
    OK...let's try some actual data.
    How many users for both apps?
    12-02-12 06:52 AM
    A BB apologist that I refer to is one who takes a weakness and then rationalises and justifies why that weakness is advantageous to the platform. THAT is an apologist. Since someone recently questioned my English comprehension, I offer a definition of the word "apologist."

apologist - definition of apologist by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Prefer not to use the app all you want, that's neither here nor there to me. But to find fault with the availability or the use of it by those who do like it is taking a weakness and turning it into a desirable attribute.

And kindly show me where I called anyone a troll. Do NOT put words in my mouth to support an indefensible argument. That shows the weakness in your position that CHOICE is not desirable. Don't like it, don't use it. But don't deny ME the right to have it available. Or, in its absence, I will simply do what I did and contribute to Apple's and Samsung's margins of profit and increase in marketshare by repeatedly going to them for the apps they do have.

And to Belfast, whom you've quoted and whose posts I don't see unless quoted....yes, I used to be a blackberry apologist, until I opened my eyes, developed an open mind, and discovered that those platforms that I used to malign all have features I now value and use. Such as Instagram.

In other words, I opened my mind, educated myself, and removed the fanboi - or fangirl - blinders.

Amazing the big world there is out there when you open your mind to possibilities.
    Right, so now that you "opened your eyes" nobody else is allowed to be one right? And you're on a mission to point them all out?

As for weaknesses, yes they can be strenghts of a smaller number of people.

Here's some things I don't want in a phone that could be perceived as weaknesses and would make me sound like an apologist: front facing camera, big screen, big size device, Netflix, Skype, full touch

Does that make me an apologist for curent BBOS devices because I don't need more?
    12-02-12 06:53 AM
    No, they're sheep because they want the app only because other people have it
    NEWSFLASH: that's now networks work.
    Rello likes this.
    12-02-12 06:55 AM
    Haven't we already heard it is coming. Calm down guys. BB10 needs big name apps no matter if most existing BB users would need them or not to start winning back customers lost to other platforms. Someone vested in Instagram might not switch back if support isn't there. Same for Skype, and Netflix (Netflix you can have my monthly fee again if you support BB10, you won't see a dime from me if not). Yes the filters on the app will likely be a joke compared to built in ones on BB10 from what we've heard, but if people with BB10 devices start loading really cool stuff to Instagram and the other people see it and ask how they did that and find out BB10 did it, then they might give BB10 a shot next upgrade. Who knows maybe RIM will integrate it into the hub and you can click/edit/share faster and that will win people over.

Apple and Android have created an app centric smartphone market that allows technology challenged people to use a Smartphone ( Apple on the challenged part as Android is much more flexible ). RIM needs to cater to app part of this but in add that RIM twist of get stuff done fast to it, which they are doing with the hub, and integrating apps into it. Let's just hope that the apps are there, the people that "left" but tell us how RIM sucks daily either come back or stop telling us what we are missing, and things get productive here on Crackberry again.
    pantlesspenguin and Cesare21 like this.
    12-02-12 08:21 AM
    Right, so now that you "opened your eyes" nobody else is allowed to be one right? And you're on a mission to point them all out?

As for weaknesses, yes they can be strenghts of a smaller number of people.

Here's some things I don't want in a phone that could be perceived as weaknesses and would make me sound like an apologist: front facing camera, big screen, big size device, Netflix, Skype, full touch

Does that make me an apologist for curent BBOS devices because I don't need more?
    I dont think you're understanding here. An "apologist" says stuff like "We don't need those apps/features. In fact, I BB is even better because it DOESN'T have them!" I remember a certain CB member even said that BB would lose credibility if it ever even offered Netflix, Instagram, etc in the app world.

The difference is when someone doesn't use or have a need for Instagram and other apps to realize that millions of others do use them, and and their availability will play a large role in the success of BB10. I don't use Instagram and never have. I don't use it on Android and I won't use it on BB10. But I sure as heck don't want people who do use and enjoy it to be left out.
    12-02-12 08:44 AM
    Haven't we already heard it is coming. Calm down guys. BB10 needs big name apps no matter if most existing BB users would need them or not to start winning back customers lost to other platforms. Someone vested in Instagram might not switch back if support isn't there. Same for Skype, and Netflix (Netflix you can have my monthly fee again if you support BB10, you won't see a dime from me if not). Yes the filters on the app will likely be a joke compared to built in ones on BB10 from what we've heard, but if people with BB10 devices start loading really cool stuff to Instagram and the other people see it and ask how they did that and find out BB10 did it, then they might give BB10 a shot next upgrade. Who knows maybe RIM will integrate it into the hub and you can click/edit/share faster and that will win people over.

Apple and Android have created an app centric smartphone market that allows technology challenged people to use a Smartphone ( Apple on the challenged part as Android is much more flexible ). RIM needs to cater to app part of this but in add that RIM twist of get stuff done fast to it, which they are doing with the hub, and integrating apps into it. Let's just hope that the apps are there, the people that "left" but tell us how RIM sucks daily either come back or stop telling us what we are missing, and things get productive here on Crackberry again.
    Amen. I owe you a thanks when my button comes back.
    12-02-12 08:48 AM
249 12345 ...