Are we getting anything new for Verizon any time in the near future? I mean I like my 9650 and all but this is getting a little ridiculous. Do we have anything on the horizon for Verizon Blackberrys??
    01-04-11 05:25 AM
    Your guess is as good as ours. All we can do is hope for something to be announced at the CES this month.
    01-04-11 07:42 AM
    Bberrys once VZ's dominant smartphone is no longer relevant to them. wasn't the storm refresh cancelled?
    01-04-11 11:09 AM
    Bberrys once VZ's dominant smartphone is no longer relevant to them. wasn't the storm refresh cancelled?
    No longer relevant? What facts support this assertion? True the Storm refresh was canceled, but that's because it wasn't enough of an upgrade from the underwhleming Storm2. It wasn't a complete rejection of BlackBerry by VZW.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 01-04-11 at 11:53 AM.
    01-04-11 11:15 AM
    No longer relevant? What facts support this assertion? True the Storm refresh was canceled, but that's becasue it wasn't enough of an upgrade from the underwhleming Storm2. It wasn't a complete rejection of BlackBerry by VZW.
    There will always be two sides to a coin but consensus on blackberry right now are vastly led by sentiments such as the following:

RIM doesn�t have a competitive smartphone now, nor will it have one any time in the near future� � Editorial from a BlackBerry Addicted Engadget Editor

Verizon Snubs RIM, Says BlackBerry OS 6 Is No �Savior�5 weeks ago 0 Comments
    Posted in News, Verizon, Research In Motion, BlackBerry, Mobile OS, Mobile & Wireless, Research & analysis Print Research In Motion is beginning to look like the Rodney Dangerfield of the telecom world, at least among its tech company peers.

Unnamed sources within Verizon are quoted as saying RIM�s new operating system, BlackBerry OS 6, has �no material value." Obviously, the telco giant is not banking its future on BlackBerry devices. The comments come in the form of a research note from Kaufman Bros.� Shaw Wu.

That�s despite the fact that BlackBerry 6 has received generally positive reviews; nonetheless, it�s not proving to be intimidating, apparently. Wu further quotes his insiders as saying OS 6 will be no �savior" for RIM, which has seen its market share decline rapidly as competition from Apple�s iPhone and Android-based smartphones continue to take customers away from the Canada phone-making giant
    01-04-11 11:37 AM
    There will always be two sides to a coin but consensus on blackberry right now are vastly led by sentiments such as the following:

RIM doesn�t have a competitive smartphone now, nor will it have one any time in the near future� � Editorial from a BlackBerry Addicted Engadget Editor

Verizon Snubs RIM, Says BlackBerry OS 6 Is No �Savior�5 weeks ago 0 Comments
    Posted in News, Verizon, Research In Motion, BlackBerry, Mobile OS, Mobile & Wireless, Research & analysis Print Research In Motion is beginning to look like the Rodney Dangerfield of the telecom world, at least among its tech company peers.

Unnamed sources within Verizon are quoted as saying RIM�s new operating system, BlackBerry OS 6, has �no material value." Obviously, the telco giant is not banking its future on BlackBerry devices. The comments come in the form of a research note from Kaufman Bros.� Shaw Wu.

That�s despite the fact that BlackBerry 6 has received generally positive reviews; nonetheless, it�s not proving to be intimidating, apparently. Wu further quotes his insiders as saying OS 6 will be no �savior" for RIM, which has seen its market share decline rapidly as competition from Apple�s iPhone and Android-based smartphones continue to take customers away from the Canada phone-making giant
    So a lot of third-party opinions and unnamed sources are the basis for your assertion that RIM is no longer relevant to VZW?
    01-04-11 11:52 AM
    If VZW gets the iPhone like it's so vastly rumored it finally will, you're gonna see the proof right there, once it's released on big red... see where RIM's #'s are 6 mos after, there will be proof
    01-04-11 12:08 PM
    So a lot of third-party opinions and unnamed sources are the basis for your assertion that RIM is no longer relevant to VZW?
    I am not trying to change anybody's mind/perception of RIM. I think they have a lot of people rooting for them to succeed, it would be very good to the market place if they do.

It is however mine that blackberry is not key to VZ's success as Mr. Wu points out, a very respected financial analyst whose opinion i value...i concur.
    01-04-11 12:08 PM
    If RIM/BlackBerry weren't relevant to Verizon, they wouldn't be in the Verizon line up.

Now if you're try to say that RIM's current offerings on VZW, or any carrier for that matter, aren't wowing the buying public, then I'd agree.

Despite Mr. Wu's opinion of VZW's view of BB devices, you cannot dismiss the fact that businesses choose BB for security. If VZW wants to be in the corporate sales arena, BB will have to remain relevant.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 01-04-11 at 12:17 PM.
    01-04-11 12:15 PM
    Some of the other VZW people on the forum have indicated that VZW and RIM are not on the best of terms right now. Which i think we can agree seems logical from the lack of RIM devices on VZW
    01-04-11 12:16 PM
    Some of the other VZW people on the forum have indicated that VZW and RIM are not on the best of terms right now. Which i think we can agree seems logical from the lack of RIM devices on VZW
    Besides the Torch and the Style (which can stay on Sprint as far as I'm concerned) what has RIM put out there that's new? 9780 is just a refresh, and 9570 was passed over.
    01-04-11 12:26 PM
    thats just it, not to much at all from RIM camp but what and when was the last VZW phone?
    01-04-11 12:51 PM
    thats just it, not to much at all from RIM camp but what and when was the last VZW phone?
    VZW can't sell what RIM doesn't have. That doesn't mean Blackberry isn't "relevant" to Verizon anymore. I would imagine when RIM presents a worthwhile device, VZW will carry it. 9570 apparently wasn't worthwhile.

The last VZW phone was probably an Android based device. Moto and HTC, among others, are putting out new devices all the time, so that's what get's the limelight.
    01-04-11 01:13 PM
    Are we getting anything new for Verizon any time in the near future? I mean I like my 9650 and all but this is getting a little ridiculous. Do we have anything on the horizon for Verizon Blackberrys??
    More importantly (IMO), is the immediate lack of 4G BB's. Android is going to mop up on Verizon--anyone wanting a 4G phone more than having BBM will be going Android.
    01-04-11 01:46 PM
    BBLeaks is suggesting VZW might be getting a Torch still device. The article says it might be a horizontal slider as oppose to the vertical one AT&T has available. 4G or LTE what also be nice, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Analyst: Verizon Getting the BlackBerry Torch in March 2011 � BBLEAKS.COM – BlackBerry leaks, news, videos, faqs, reviews
    01-04-11 02:28 PM
    More importantly (IMO), is the immediate lack of 4G BB's. Android is going to mop up on Verizon--anyone wanting a 4G phone more than having BBM will be going Android.
    The people who don't care about BBM are already going to Android now. Immediate lack of 4G BB matches the immediate lack of 4G service. It's only available in select cities now, how long is it goingto take to upgrade the enitre network.

BBLeaks is suggesting VZW might be getting a Torch still device. The article says it might be a horizontal slider as oppose to the vertical one AT&T has available. 4G or LTE what also be nice, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Analyst: Verizon Getting the BlackBerry Torch in March 2011 � BBLEAKS.COM � BlackBerry leaks, news, videos, faqs, reviews
    CDMA Torch with horizontal slider sounds great to me, not big the vertical slide. As long as it continues to have the real touchscreen, I might give it a look.
    01-04-11 02:33 PM
    I am not trying to change anybody's mind/perception of RIM. I think they have a lot of people rooting for them to succeed, it would be very good to the market place if they do.

It is however mine that blackberry is not key to VZ's success as Mr. Wu points out, a very respected financial analyst whose opinion i value...i concur.
    bb is not key to verizon's success. but verizon is a key to rimm's success. and it aint looking promising.
    01-04-11 02:43 PM
    The problem with the idea that nobody cares about the LTE BB just because the network isn't there yet is: I don't see RIM putting out a new device for Verizon unless it has LTE capability. If that proves to be the case, then availability of the LTE network is irrelevant.

I'm sure there are a lot of folks who just want the LTE BB because it is likely to be a new BB with more advanced hardware and perhaps a new OS, even if they're nowhere near the LTE network area.
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 01-04-11 at 03:38 PM.
    01-04-11 03:33 PM
    VZW can't sell what RIM doesn't have. That doesn't mean Blackberry isn't "relevant" to Verizon anymore. I would imagine when RIM presents a worthwhile device, VZW will carry it. 9570 apparently wasn't worthwhile.

The last VZW phone was probably an Android based device. Moto and HTC, among others, are putting out new devices all the time, so that's what get's the limelight.
    sorry i meant VZW BB device...i guess the "bold" but that was a simple refresh of the tour. Sadly the Tour and Storm where the last BB on VZW that were not refreshes IMO.
    01-04-11 04:44 PM
    The problem with the idea that nobody cares about the LTE BB just because the network isn't there yet is: I don't see RIM putting out a new device for Verizon unless it has LTE capability. If that proves to be the case, then availability of the LTE network is irrelevant.

I'm sure there are a lot of folks who just want the LTE BB because it is likely to be a new BB with more advanced hardware and perhaps a new OS, even if they're nowhere near the LTE network area.
    LTE is in 38 cities...
    01-04-11 04:48 PM
    LTE is in 38 cities...
    I know. That was my point. Some people here in this thread and others have dismissed the need for the LTE BB due to some assumed lack of coverage.

My point in response to that was that the next new VZW BB will be likely be LTE capable, and even if its at a premium price, many people who want a new BB will buy it even if they aren't in an LTE area simply because they want a new, hopefully high performance BB.

I just don't anticipate a non LTE BB coming out and even if one does it won't be more than another refresh. I expect to see BB people running to get the LTE BB regardless of LTE coverage since it'll be the first really new BB in a couple of years on VZW.
    01-04-11 07:26 PM
    sorry i meant VZW BB device...i guess the "bold" but that was a simple refresh of the tour. Sadly the Tour and Storm where the last BB on VZW that were not refreshes IMO.
    Very true, the Bold is a refresh. RIM should have put it out first and left the tour on the design table. Not because it was a bad device, but it was EOL listed almost as soon as it was out. It is very obvious RIM is focused on GSM carriers and Android, although spreading around a little more, is focused on CDMA.
    01-04-11 07:38 PM
    Very true, the Bold is a refresh. RIM should have put it out first and left the tour on the design table. Not because it was a bad device, but it was EOL listed almost as soon as it was out. It is very obvious RIM is focused on GSM carriers and Android, although spreading around a little more, is focused on CDMA.
    XX30, XX50, XX70, I think even XX10 and XX90, all CDMA devices. I daresay BlackBerry is focusing more towards CDMA these days. If that keeps up, it'll be either Nokia or iPhone in the UK in the near future... We're seeing a distinct lack of BlackBerry in the UK... Looks like my first LTE will have to wait until like 2020, because of how slow UK development is, and I'm not able to shift to Droid/iP/WP.
    01-04-11 07:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD