So I have a Pearl 8130 that sits in my box of phone goodies..
    I want to donate it where it would get good use instead of collecting dust..
    I have my Storm2 which I currently use and a Tour as a backup so I don't need the Pearl anymore.. It also has a Seidio case and belt clip... Any ideas? Thanks, JK
    02-01-10 07:39 PM
    So I have a Pearl 8130 that sits in my box of phone goodies..
    I want to donate it where it would get good use instead of collecting dust..
    I have my Storm2 which I currently use and a Tour as a backup so I don't need the Pearl anymore.. It also has a Seidio case and belt clip... Any ideas? Thanks, JK
    hi there! i suggest checking out these sites:

Cell Phone Recycling: How to Donate Your Old Mobile Phone
    ^ a how to and where to guide on donating cell phones

National Coalition Against Domestic Violence
    ^ you can donate cell phones to the national coalition against domestic violence and the people who use the phones will use it in case of emergencies. i've donated to there before and it's a great cause

i want to commend you on donating your phone! i've donated previous unused phones before and it's a great thing to do rather than have it sit somewhere collecting dust!

have a wonderful day!
    02-01-10 08:17 PM
    Hey! Thank you both for your posts. I'm giving up the BB and going back to a regular phone. If I cant sell this pearl flip, I'll donate it. That's a very good reminder, but if it's a blackberry phone, don't they have to put a data plan on it?
    02-01-10 08:34 PM
    02-01-10 09:13 PM
    in my country there's program where old phones can be donated to orphanages and old age homes.
    02-02-10 12:18 AM
    Some Verizon stores have boxes where you can donate phones to go to the troops overseas so they can call home.
    02-02-10 11:41 AM
    Some Verizon stores have boxes where you can donate phones to go to the troops overseas so they can call home.

I like this even better for a BB phone. I'm just making a wild guess that domestic violence programs wouldn't want phones that require internet plans purchased for them. Troops can see pictures or videos of their families. I'm looking into this donation idea today.
    02-02-10 11:57 AM
    Cool that you want to donate your phone. I keep my old 8330 just in case. My dad's berry got stolen and guess who came in to the rescue.
    02-02-10 01:19 PM
    phones can be donated for domestic violence at all verizon stores. However they only want phones unfortunately no BB can be used if they could be used without a data plan then that wouldn't be a requirement for those who have BB so why would they work just for phone calls on donations? be nice but it doesnt work that way.

I suggest you sell it I don't think it would work for the troops either. all BB require a data plan Your heart is in the right place though. It is nice to know people still care in this world we live in
    02-02-10 02:39 PM
    yeppers and I think staples does this as well.
    02-02-10 02:51 PM
    If you want to give to a member of the Crackberry family go to the pay it forward thread in the marketplace. That what I will do if I had a working blackberry. Although you get nothing it feels good to help out someone in need

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-10 02:52 PM
    Hey! Thank you both for your posts. I'm giving up the BB and going back to a regular phone. If I cant sell this pearl flip, I'll donate it. That's a very good reminder, but if it's a blackberry phone, don't they have to put a data plan on it?
    I've been looking for a free Pearl Flip, is it Verizon branded? Want to give it to a CB mod? Just to let you know I donated my Storm1 to a CBer had his phone stole by thugs. You can verify this with Camoko.
    02-02-10 03:31 PM
    I do know a member who needs a decent Verizon device, hers is falling apart, she is a single mom on a fixed income and could use the help. Just someone several of us know. Her Pearl is on it's last legs.

I'm on the wrong network, but I've sent good used phones to members myself. It is her primary method of communication.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 02-02-10 at 05:53 PM.
    02-02-10 05:49 PM
    I forgot to mention, mine is apparently locked in to US Cellular.

That's who I've had it with. If anyone can figure out how to unlock it or use it on another network, it's yours. That's why I think it would be hard to give away on the PIF thread, if it's locked into a carrier already. That's the part that sucks - I know there's hundreds of deserving people out there and I've got a locked-in phone sitting useless.
    02-02-10 06:00 PM
    Thanks for all of the ideas! Going to look into the pay it forward thing I think.. Thanks again..

02-02-10 09:28 PM
    I use my old BB 8110 as a music phone when running and exercising, so still has its purpose.
    02-03-10 02:12 PM
    I like this even better for a BB phone. I'm just making a wild guess that domestic violence programs wouldn't want phones that require internet plans purchased for them. Troops can see pictures or videos of their families. I'm looking into this donation idea today.
    When you donate a phone, they don't actually give your phone to say, a soldier or someone that has been abused. They either recycle it for precious metals or refurb it and resell it. Any money they make off that goes to the charity you gave it to. A lot of people think when they donate to cell phones for soldiers that their cell phone will actually be sent to a soldier, however they are actually just sending them calling cards.

So if you are thinking about donating your cell phone... DO IT... Working or not, it doesn't matter.

(I used to work at Recellular, where most donated phones go)

02-04-10 06:28 AM
    "PDARepairWorld.com, formerly bbrepairshop.com, will repair old BlackBerrys and sell them at auction, and then donate the proceeds to charity.

From their website:

"Don't throw away your broken BlackBerrys! A little known fact is that we have a very progressive recycling program. Many our of larger customers have made it a practice to send their old phones to BB Repair Shop. Phones are wiped of all data and any repairs necessary are performed to put them into top condition. Once functional, the phones are sold at an auction and all proceeds are donated to a charity. Have a charity that is dear to you? Let us know and we will donate all proceeds on your behalf.

Help us make 2010 a record year for giving. In order to do this, we will be accepting all smartphones, regardless of the brand."
    Last edited by cobalt; 02-04-10 at 07:59 AM.
    02-04-10 07:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD