• Google/iCloud or other Cloud based service

10 25.64%
  • Yahoo!/Hotmail or other online mail service

0 0%
  • Outlook or Other desktop application

7 17.95%
  • Other (Please specify via post)

4 10.26%
  • Sync? What's this witchcraft you speak of?

1 2.56%
  • BlackBerry address book

17 43.59%
    Where do you store your phone contacts (and sync from)?

I've had my contacts stored on google for a while now. It has been associated with my Gmail account. But with the new Google Terms of Service now out, I am liking it less and less each day.

I used to store my contacts on Outlook and sync when I was using a Windows Mobile 5 (predecessor of WP7), and while it worked the online ability to sync with other devices have spoiled me.

So I created a pool to find out how you store your phone contacts (Android, BB, iPhone, WP7 etc).

If you choose Other, please submit what...
    03-07-12 08:55 PM
    Call me crazy (many do ), but I store them in my address book.

Edit - poll now adjusted to suit the normal user. Subtract one from "other" for accurate results.
    03-07-12 09:14 PM
    The BB address book and Outlook.

I just don't trust Google to hold anything like that and will never use it.
    03-07-12 11:00 PM
    bb protect, i drive lite, gmail (soon ditch), personal exchange solution....
    in reality gmail handles day to day all else are backups and biz contacts are on exchange server
    03-07-12 11:29 PM
    ... i drive lite ...
    Never heard of iDrive before. And it support all clients not only iOS.

I will definitely have to check this one out, thanks!
    03-08-12 09:49 AM
  6. T
    I store mine in my BlackBerry's address book. I would never store contacts in the cloud as a matter of principle. Why would I want my contacts stored on some server somewhere?

But okay, I know Google came out with the new privacy policy. I haven't been paying attention because it doesn't really affect me, but what is it about the new TOS that you don't like?
    03-08-12 12:52 PM
    You missed an option, I store my address book a couple of different places. I chose other.....anywhere from BlackBerry Protect to gmail and other places
    Last edited by spencerdl; 03-08-12 at 01:00 PM.
    03-08-12 12:57 PM
    I store mine in my BlackBerry's address book. I would never store contacts in the cloud as a matter of principle. Why would I want my contacts stored on some server somewhere?

But okay, I know Google came out with the new privacy policy. I haven't been paying attention because it doesn't really affect me, but what is it about the new TOS that you don't like?
    Re:Google

Personally I used to love them had mine for years, but from being the good guy, open loving company they used to be i see more and more decision made basses on maximum profits and less to do with that motiff they were known for. Tracking, personalized adds, insecurity of market place/play. The fact that as ingenious as it is that when I mention attachments in a email and don't add one gmail on Web browser ask if I forgot to add them (reading my mail). It just rubs me the wrong way and I have to wonder how long before the data leaks.(if not already)
    I'm not denying that they must make money to survive but at what cost to my privacy?
    Last edited by pcguy514; 03-08-12 at 01:32 PM.
    03-08-12 01:30 PM
    I just migrated everything over to Gmail. I setup my Gmail accounts to sync my contacts and calendar with my 9900 wireless. Before doing this I had to find a way to sync Gmail (contacts and calendar) with Outlook 2010. I found it with Sync2 for a one time cost of $39.95 and if you start an online chat with them they will send you a 5% discount code.

It took a little bit of work getting everything clean since Gmail and BlackBerry and Outlook handle the data a little differently. Now my computer, 9900, PlayBook and Gmail account are all in sync.
    03-08-12 02:17 PM

For Google's TOS on this site

I didn't like this part in the section "Your Content in our Services":

Some of our Services allow you to submit content. You retain ownership of any intellectual property rights that you hold in that content. In short, what belongs to you stays yours.

When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content.

So according to this TOS, once I put something on there servers they have a right to publicly display and distribute such content regardless of my wishes it seems.
    03-09-12 12:21 AM
    Re:Google

Personally I used to love them had mine for years, but from being the good guy, open loving company they used to be i see more and more decision made basses on maximum profits and less to do with that motiff they were known for. Tracking, personalized adds, insecurity of market place/play. The fact that as ingenious as it is that when I mention attachments in a email and don't add one gmail on Web browser ask if I forgot to add them (reading my mail). It just rubs me the wrong way and I have to wonder how long before the data leaks.(if not already)
    I'm not denying that they must make money to survive but at what cost to my privacy?
    Agreed, there service, especially with the ability to have GMail act like an exchange server has made my PIM management easy. But since Google launched Google+, they seem to be on a mission to populate your Google+ with everything they know about you, personal or otherwise...
    03-09-12 12:24 AM
    My master contacts are in my MacOS Address Book. I sync it directly with my Bold 9930 using the Desktop app. I have to sync to Google in order to sync with my Playbook. I would prefer to sync both directly with my Address Book over WIFI, but that doesn't seem to be possible.
    Last edited by boldmiata; 03-09-12 at 12:37 AM.
    03-09-12 12:27 AM
    Address book and an Excel Sheet placed every probable private place/device I would log onto.
    Prehistoric as it may be but rocksolid.
    03-09-12 01:20 PM
    I used to sync, but once you add another device into the mix things get ed up very easily. I just bakup to BB Protect.
    03-09-12 03:15 PM
    I am confused about this poll too... I mean yes I store them in BlackBerry address book because that's the native application for this job. However, I sync the data with BlackBerry Protect. Where is the option to vote for BlackBerry Protect?
    03-09-12 03:39 PM
    I am confused about this poll too... I mean yes I store them in BlackBerry address book because that's the native application for this job. However, I sync the data with BlackBerry Protect. Where is the option to vote for BlackBerry Protect?
    Protect is a cloud back up service. Calender and Contacts. When you 'sync' your contacts with Protect, you are actually restoring them from the last backup.

So you would choose address book or witchcraft...LoL
    mssca likes this.
    03-09-12 03:47 PM
    Protect is a cloud back up service. Calender and Contacts. When you 'sync' your contacts with Protect, you are actually restoring them from the last backup.

So you would choose address book or witchcraft...LoL
    Oh ok... done.
    03-09-12 03:48 PM
    store them in my address book also ...and on my simcard also ....i never have more than 150 phone numbers at any given time
    03-10-12 09:55 AM
    I just keep them in the BB address book.
    03-10-12 05:08 PM
    I don't understand Blackberry address book. I see att address book on my phone and a gmail address book but not Blackberry. Explanation please. How does this Blackberry Protect work and how much doe sit cost?
    03-11-12 12:30 PM
    BlackBerry Adress Book + regularly DM Contacts Backup. SIM-card is full..
    03-11-12 12:32 PM
  22. T
    BlackBerry Adress Book + regularly DM Contacts Backup. SIM-card is full..
    Yes, DM backups. I didn't think to mention that in my earlier reply.
    03-11-12 12:35 PM
    Address book Sync via BB Protect
    03-11-12 10:19 PM
    For Google's TOS on this site

I didn't like this part in the section "Your Content in our Services":

Some of our Services allow you to submit content. You retain ownership of any intellectual property rights that you hold in that content. In short, what belongs to you stays yours.

When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content.

So according to this TOS, once I put something on there servers they have a right to publicly display and distribute such content regardless of my wishes it seems.
    I believe this to content ie ratings, map locations, videos, etc... and not your personal information. Contacts considered as part of your personal information.
    03-11-12 11:17 PM
    I don't understand Blackberry address book. I see att address book on my phone and a gmail address book but not Blackberry. Explanation please. How does this Blackberry Protect work and how much doe sit cost?
    The native addressbook application on a BlackBerry smartphone is called Contacts. BlackBerry Protect is a free service to backup certain databases on the BlackBerry smartphone to a server maintained by Research In Motion under the BlackBerry brand.
    03-11-12 11:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD