I've recently upgraded my Verizon 9650 to OS 6 and I want to go to a previous version. At some point along my upgrade path (I don't mean my upgrade to 6, I mean at some point during my upgrade from OS 5.x to OS 5.something) an app I use broke (Milksync for Remember the Milk). I'm trying to find different versions of OS 5 on the Blackberry site but it takes me in a loop and seems to only give me 6. I want to download multiple versions of 5, not just the latest.

Thanks!
    02-01-11 10:41 AM
    Can you please explain the end-result you're seeking?
    Are you trying to find an OS with which your app will be compatible, because it doesn't work with OS6 ?

And you want multiple versions of OS5 as well? If it works with OS5, it should work with any build.

Where did you get the app? Is it free or paid?
    rohith626 likes this.
    02-01-11 10:54 AM
    I have ran into problems with upgrading OS also. This would be helpful since up to now I have used over the internet upgrades and had problems with mine. Hopefully the answer will work for me also.
    02-01-11 11:57 AM
    BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites

Locate your carrier and choose your model. After you press the Next button, review the OS choices. Most carriers will have several choices dating back to the original release versions.

02-01-11 12:00 PM
    I have ran into problems with upgrading OS also. This would be helpful since up to now I have used over the internet upgrades and had problems with mine. Hopefully the answer will work for me also.
    By "over the internet" do you mean over the air, ie upgrading the OS via the network without a PC involved?

Then yes, you should definitely do it on your PC. Follow the link that Reed left above for all carriers' official downloads.
    And it does very often list previous OS's as well for that carrier & device.

You can also check CB's new & improved OS Superpage:
    CrackBerry.com | BlackBerry OS Superpage

Lastly, here's a bit of an OS Upgrade Guide that I posted recently in one of the upgrade threads:

ELITE1's Quick OS6 UPGRADE GUIDE

1. Uninstall any previous OS from your PC.
    2. Download OS to PC. Use Internet Explorer to do so, not Firefox or Chrome.
    3. Following successful DL, run OS file to install OS on PC.
    4. On BB, go to BBM Options, scroll down to Backup section. Ensure Remote Backup is enabled AND also conduct a Local Backup to media card.
    5. Go through any 3rd party apps that have option to save settings to media card, and conduct Backup to media card from menu within each of these apps. (Examples: all Bellshare apps such as BerryBuzz & BerryWeather; QuickLaunch; Shao's apps such as Wallpaper Changer & SixTools; Show Me The Images; etc).
    6. Connect BB to PC. Open DM and backup device. Close DM.
    7. (Optional) Use desktop program like BBSAK or BBMCP to backup 3rd party apps.
    8. On PC, navigate to
      64-bit: Computer/C:/Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader and delete file therein called Vendor.
      32-bit: Computer/C:/Program Files/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader and delete file therein called Vendor.
    9. (Optional) Run Shrink-A-OS.
    10. In same AppLoader file where you deleted Vendor, double-click on Loader to initiate OS upgrade. Follow onscreen instructions.
    02-01-11 02:22 PM
    I've recently upgraded my Verizon 9650 to OS 6 and I want to go to a previous version. At some point along my upgrade path (I don't mean my upgrade to 6, I mean at some point during my upgrade from OS 5.x to OS 5.something) an app I use broke (Milksync for Remember the Milk). I'm trying to find different versions of OS 5 on the Blackberry site but it takes me in a loop and seems to only give me 6. I want to download multiple versions of 5, not just the latest.

Thanks!
    Plug your device into DM and go to application loader, update software and you should see all the OS 5 downgrades.
    02-01-11 03:59 PM
    I only have 6.0 there.

Any ideas?

Also, once I do get the latest 5.x OS I have a question about restores. Before I did the 6.0 upgrade I took a full backup of my 5.x and then did a full backup of 6.0 after the upgrade. I assume that the backup backs up the data and not the full device image? So as a result, when I do the restore, can I just take a full 6.0 backup and restore it to the device after I downgrade to 5.x? Or is the 6.0 application data not compatible with 5.x?

thanks
    02-07-11 09:30 AM
    In BlackBerry Desktop Software under the Device menu select:

"Update my device"

In the dialog box select:

"View other versions"

You should see all available versions there. Select the Check Box for the one you want and then press "Install"

I did the same thing. OS 6 was buggy and reduced the battery life on my Verizon 9650 by half. I will wait for a few more updates before trying again.

Good luck!
    02-08-11 11:02 AM
    I looked and only saw 6.x available. I found where to download 5.x by reading http://forums.crackberry.com/f172/lo...6/#post6034064, then I uninstalled 5.x from the PC from Add/Remove Programs, ran the 6 installer and proceeded with the downgrade from within the Desktop Manager's "Device Info", "Upgrade Device" option.
    Last edited by howiecamp; 02-08-11 at 07:37 PM.
    02-08-11 11:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD