Hello readers,
    Since my new BB doesnt work with North American GSM signals (8830) I decided to take out the antenna so it wouldnt cook my body while im not registered to any Service Provider.

Now this,
    I took out the antenna from my BB8830 and yet theres still a 1 bar signal... (i had a full signal before with the antenna inside) can any one help me out finding this secret hidden antenna so I can strip it off. This is really annoying. I mean come on... 1 antenna is not enough?

By the way theres no ID CHIP in the phone since the GSM signals dont work anyway, so i resort to my samsung for calls but BB for work.

Thanks in advance for any help,
    Dunk.
    12-09-10 11:39 AM
    Call me crazy but I feel a little stupider after reading this. I am not a techie, but know that any RF utilizing device can still send and receive some signal without an antenna. That and are you saying that a BB will "cook" you worse than your Samsung? Or better yet, more than the natural and artfificially added radiation our bodies are bombarded with every second of every day?
    12-09-10 11:54 AM
    Epic Fail...
    12-09-10 11:58 AM

I hope this helps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    JRZLocal, mamahack and AltaVega like this.
    12-09-10 12:51 PM
    Hahahaha, wow...
    Just by Tawk On
    12-09-10 01:06 PM
    Have you ever run across anyone that has ever said to you "better to look like a fool than to open your mouth and prove it"? Seems like this would have been a good time to just browse and not say anything!

They have disassembly videos and all kinds of stuff on the innerworkings of each and every phone (especially one that's a few years old). Doesn't seem too hard to be able to find out what's inside without making a fool of yourself.
    12-09-10 01:53 PM
    This is probably the same person who posts all the other radiation scare threads.
    12-09-10 02:11 PM
    Call me crazy but I feel a little stupider after reading this. I am not a techie, but know that any RF utilizing device can still send and receive some signal without an antenna. That and are you saying that a BB will "cook" you worse than your Samsung? Or better yet, more than the natural and artfificially added radiation our bodies are bombarded with every second of every day?
    Ok now that you got the point of my question can you answer? or are you too preoccupied by your ego?

By the way this applies to all the other posts... wtf is this community a bunch of kids?
    12-09-10 02:50 PM
    Look, the simple answer to your question is to go to Mobile Connections and turn the radio off. There isn't a 'secret antenna' the device is a transceiver, with the radio turned on, even without an antenna, it can receive and
    transmit radio waves if available to do so. I can disconnect the antenna from any radio it will still receive some signal.

Your wording brought on a wave of commentary because the level isn't enough to 'cook' anything. Turn it off, it's a battery powered monitor.

Also, download a sense of humor app. If you let it get to you, it'll make you need the instructions I posted.

Last edited by BergerKing; 12-09-10 at 03:06 PM.
    12-09-10 03:03 PM
    I agree with the others, just shut the radio off or it probably has an option to select just the network you wish to operate on.

You could have even made the radiation problem worse (oh noes!!1!1!!) by removing the antenna...

The safest thing to do is what the other poster mentioned, build a portable farady cage for your head out of tinfoil...
    12-09-10 04:10 PM
    Quite epic indeed, just to add a lil more insight on radiation. When you are in your house/apartment, you are being bombarded by tons of natural/artificial radiation already and BlackBerries give off very very min levels of rad.

Just follow others ideas and you'll be fine but there is a secret rfid chip in ya berry!!

Thnx, Tripster

12-09-10 04:22 PM
    Rather than destroy a perfectly good 8830, return for a GSM phone from your carrier. Whoever sold it to you should have told you it would not work on North American GSM frequencies. That's not a secret. A new purchaser can be forgiven for not knowing that, but not a seller.
    12-09-10 04:28 PM
    I agree with Jeff H. That's crazy.
    12-09-10 06:06 PM
    I guess it takes all kinds to make the world go round. Loved your post BK! Hahaha! What does the OP do when he has to get an x-ray at the Docs? Better get a bluetooth ear piece and keep the bb 30 feet away!

12-09-10 06:28 PM
    Can't you just turn the radio off?
    12-09-10 08:28 PM
    Has to be a troll...has to be!

12-09-10 09:04 PM
    Not really what i'd call a troll... I mean trolls are trying to stir the pot and upset folks. This seems more like they were trying to get themselves ridiculed...
    12-09-10 09:42 PM

I hope this helps.

I know I shouldn't be laughin but this was the funniest thing I've seen all day. Had me rollin for a good 5 mins.
    12-09-10 10:25 PM
    It must have been for real. The op has not been back since the first time someone pissed him off. And yes JRZ it was so good I had to save it!

12-10-10 09:25 AM
    Cook you? Lol. It sounds like you are little fried already.
    12-10-10 09:28 AM
    In theory... Removing the the antenna only makes the reciever work harder and is constantly searching for signal.... Which will "cook" your brain quicker.
    Also, from when I worked in the cellphone industry(when we were just switching to digital from analog) all heandsets work on same level, so your "safe" Samsung is cooking your brain just as quickly as your BlackBerry...

WOW

Last edited by MattIam; 12-10-10 at 10:37 AM.
    12-10-10 10:35 AM
    Actually I have read somewhere that per say my 9700 emits more radiation than other cell phones...so is that not the case.

I was also wondering why I had an extra finger since using this phone...

12-11-10 09:08 AM

I was also wondering why I had an extra finger since using this phone...

Hey, at least now you can text and email faster!!!!

12-11-10 09:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD