Is it like Palm is now? Is it still licensed to someone producing current phones? Is it only a software security company? Is a just a colloquial name for any pkb phone?
    08-18-19 06:19 PM
    Is it like Palm is now? Is it still licensed to someone producing current phones? Is it only a software security company? Is a just a colloquial name for any pkb phone?
    At this point, it has three licensees without anyone officially relinquishing said licenses
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-18-19 06:23 PM
    In 5 years I think BB will have renamed itself to something more appropriate for what they do now.
    08-18-19 06:51 PM
    How about Research In Motion or RIM for short? Just brainstorming and thinking out loud...
    In 5 years I think BB will have renamed itself to something more appropriate for what they do now.
    08-18-19 06:53 PM
    Brand will be still alive. There will be no phone with BlackBerry name attached.

May be sooner than 5 years
    RK_BB, phuoc and Bfalcon1 like this.
    08-18-19 07:00 PM
    In a year, there won't be any phone with a BlackBerry brand due to the exceptional BlackBerry greediness.
    Hopefully, the company rename itself as Research in Motion RIM.
    Thor commited a huge mistake when he named the company after an epic fail product.
    Last edited by John Albert; 08-18-19 at 07:56 PM.
    pdr733, RK_BB, the_boon and 1 others like this.
    08-18-19 07:28 PM
    How about Research In Motion or RIM for short? Just brainstorming and thinking out loud...
    I was thinking the same thing and that would be an appropriate name. It also sounds like an engineering company rather then a consumer products manufacturer.

As far as where they will be in 5 years? I think they will still be software driven and hopefully still licensing a product for the consumer, but in this current market, who knows for sure. It’s wait and see.
    Laura Knotek and ppeters914 like this.
    08-18-19 07:37 PM
    In a year, there won't be any phone with a BlackBerry brand due to the exceptional BlackBerry greediness.
    It's called adequate ROI that warranted licencing in the first place.
    08-18-19 09:01 PM
    It's called adequate ROI that warranted licencing in the first place.
    And see how did it work for them... Surprised?? You shouldn't be. This ROI is BS. ROI should be assessed by someone with the common sense not by an idiot with the head in his a**.
    John Albert and elfabio80 like this.
    08-19-19 01:28 AM
    In 5 years BlackBerry will be only known from history books or from the stories of our eldest, you know: "Back in my old days we had this mobile phone manufacturer, how was is called?? Raspberry, Blueberry, ooo I got it Blackberry - funny name... "
    phuoc likes this.
    08-19-19 01:33 AM
    I think it's officially the end of the line for Blackberry branded phones. The Optiemus experiment was a total failure . The TCL experiment has been a failure. The BB Android launcher and apps are mess that barely see updates. Security patches are always months behind and in some cases, non-existent.

I think a small market could still exist for a physical keyboard device but BlackBerry obviously isn't the one to do it anymore. Hopefully they don't sue any other company who attempts it.
    phuoc likes this.
    08-19-19 02:03 AM
    08-19-19 02:04 AM
    I think it's officially the end of the line for Blackberry branded phones. The Optiemus experiment was a total failure . The TCL experiment has been a failure. The BB Android launcher and apps are mess that barely see updates. Security patches are always months behind and in some cases, non-existent.

I think a small market could still exist for a physical keyboard device but BlackBerry obviously isn't the one to do it anymore. Hopefully they don't sue any other company who attempts it.
    Hopefully BB sues them for any patent royalties owed.
    08-19-19 05:11 AM
    And see how did it work for them... Surprised?? You shouldn't be. This ROI is BS. .
    Details were crafted, and both parties volunteered to sign the deal.

The only thing that frustrated the contract was that the market wasn't as big as TCL had hoped.
    08-19-19 06:55 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RIP Cartoon.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	445862
    Yet still sending messages in secret from beyond the thin veil? At who else's gravestone can you just punch in your request, press send and know for certain when the message arrived?
    08-19-19 07:09 AM
    In 5 years when Tim Cook is pushing a walker and being spoon fed apple sauce while contemplating final things, and Google is eating its tail, BlackBerry will still be BlackBerry.

I know I know...a Bold prediction, that's likely to raise a Storm, but that's straight from the Playbook, with no Leap of Faith quite yet. Will it be the Passport to finer things in Classic style? I Dtek that maybe it will. While I am not Priv-ey to such things...There you have it, from A-Z30. Now do we have time for Q10's & Answers? Let the Spark(s) fly.
    Last edited by i_plod_an_dr_void; 08-19-19 at 07:24 AM.
    08-19-19 07:12 AM
    In 5 years when Tim Cook is pushing a walker and being spoon fed apple sauce while contemplating final things, and Google is eating its tail, BlackBerry will still be BlackBerry.

I know I know...a Bold prediction, that's likely to raise a Storm, but that's straight from the Playbook, with no Leap of Faith quite yet. Will it be the Passport to finer things in Classic style? I Dtek that maybe it will. While I am not Priv-ey to such things...There you have it, from A-Z30. Now do we have time for Q10's & Answers? Let the Spark(s) fly.
    LMAO... I’m always impressed
    08-19-19 08:06 AM
    And see how did it work for them... Surprised?? You shouldn't be. This ROI is BS. ROI should be assessed by someone with the common sense not by an idiot with the head in his a**.
    Every company sets a threshold for a financial return on any project. BlackBerry set a price based on their threshold. Below that number the business didn't make sense to them and they would have rather had no licensees for handsets.

There was no option to license the IP at at a loss just so fans could have Blackberry-branded phones. No one at BlackBerry would have wanted that.
    08-19-19 08:15 AM

Excellent reminiscence!
    08-19-19 08:45 AM

Well crafted!
    08-19-19 08:57 AM

... The BB Android launcher and apps are mess that barely see updates. Security patches are always months behind and in some cases, non-existent..

Haha.... Sounds exactly like the BlackBerry we've all known & loved for the past 15+ yrs. Lol. Software has always been their weakest "strength". Lol. And then came Dan Dodge's crew... anyone remember Gateway Amiga? The idea that that conglomeration can prove profitable in " software only" seems pretty ludicrous, to me. Just based on history. Imo. Fwiw. Interesting to see it play out, tho...
    08-19-19 09:10 AM
    double post.
    08-19-19 09:10 AM
    The main problem I see is that people seem Unable to disassociate the Brand with old fashioned company that went bust.
    They had a big uphill battle to gain new clients outside the Blackberry true fans, and didn't succeed. So, using a fresh new brandname for the niche PKB market may be the best strategy moving forward.
    What do you think?
    08-19-19 09:15 AM
    The main problem I see is that people seem Unable to disassociate the Brand with old fashioned company that went bust.
    They had a big uphill battle to gain new clients outside the Blackberry true fans, and didn't succeed. So, using a fresh new brandname for the niche PKB market may be the best strategy moving forward.
    What do you think?
    Well... Imo, fwiw (not much lol) they were far too eager to bleed too much loyal legacy in effort to pursue Apple loving "unicorns". Unicorns who resent ANY slight intrusion into their glass window... Even " the notch"... Lol. In what universe would the space occupied by PKB win those users over? ??

They were doomed to niche status the minute SJ's crew slipped the word "phone" after the "i". And we still call tablets with telephone capabilities patched on, " phones". Lol. We all needed to acknowledge and embrace that niche reality rather than cheer on BB's misguided pursuit of "sorta Apple". Imo.

I've personally long contended that RIM should have remained RIM and that BlackBerry line should've remained in enterprise/professional space. A consumer space product line might've been called "Blueberry" ? Or GlassBerry?? Or "BlackGlass" or ???? Lol.

Best strategy moving forward? Get glass lovers out of the design room and focus on the characteristics that made their last successful model, successful. ?? Give the real fans something they can cheer for and there's a chance THEY can prove a valuable "free" sales force. Long shot, at this point.
    08-19-19 09:37 AM
    Well... Imo, fwiw (not much lol) they were far too eager to bleed too much loyal legacy in effort to pursue Apple loving "unicorns". Unicorns who resent ANY slight intrusion into their glass window... Even " the notch"... Lol. In what universe would the space occupied by PKB win those users over? ??

They were doomed to niche status the minute SJ's crew slipped the word "phone" after the "i". And we still call tablets with telephone capabilities patched on, " phones". Lol. We all needed to acknowledge and embrace that niche reality rather than cheer on BB's misguided pursuit of "sorta Apple". Imo.

I've personally long contended that RIM should have remained RIM and that BlackBerry line should've remained in enterprise/professional space. A consumer space product line might've been called "Blueberry" ? Or GlassBerry?? Or "BlackGlass" or ???? Lol.

Best strategy moving forward? Get glass lovers out of the design room and focus on the characteristics that made their last successful model, successful. ?? Give the real fans something they can cheer for and there's a chance THEY can prove a valuable "free" sales force. Long shot, at this point.
    All I want is a 9900 or Q10 sized device with a physical keyboard and trackpad. I don't think I'm alone in that desire.
    petergrafo likes this.
    08-19-19 09:54 AM
141 123 ...