I'm currently due for an upgrade this year as my smartphone contract comes to an end next month and I was thinking about giving BlackBerry another shot. The last BlackBerry I had was the Bold 9900 (amazing device) and the Bold 9000 before that. Real game changer devices. I've never strayed too far from the CrackBerry space as I've seen everything that's been happening since.

What's a little disheartening though is the lack of a really great QWERTY device from BlackBerry. They released the Z30 which was pretty much a more power-packed Z10 and was hoping for them to do the same to the Q10 and release a Q30 which would pretty much just add a larger & taller screen. Sadly, this doesn't seem to be the case as the "Windemere" rumored device is set to come out with a 1440x1440, square screen....... those who have seen my previous posts know how much I loathe that 1:1 screen ratio...

I don't get it, in this age of large screens, there's no reason why BlackBerry could have taken the Z10 screen size and slap a physical keyboard at the bottom. If people couldn't handle the size, they could even bring the screen size down to 4 inches. The key thing is having a screen that is suitable for web browsing and also be compatible with apps used by the Z10 and Z30, which would show information on screen.

A colleague in the office had a Q10 for a while but I found it ridiculous when it came to browsing web pages, especially if you frequent sites like CrackBerry and The Verge (and others like them) where some article pages can get really long depending on the amount of comments. You're just constantly scrolling, I hated that. I like all the comments on one page but with the 1:1 ratio of the Q10.... it's an absolute pain.

Someone might say, just get the Z10 or Z30 but no, I don't want an all-touch device. If I'm going BlackBerry, I want my physical keyboard. I want my productivity that I had with my 9900 which was because of the physical keyboard. I guess BlackBerry isn't even on the list for me now for this next upgrade but maybe one day they'll make some moves again and figure things out. All the best to BlackBerry during their rebuilding period...
    05-30-14 03:33 PM
    If you want a physical keyboard get the Q10 - it's the best and really only game in town. If you don't want a physical keyboard i'd recommend the Z30. If you're willing to wait for the Windermere/Q30 that's an option or the Classic/Q20 for that matter --- but in the meantime those are your options.

Sent from my amply large Q10

Posted via CB10
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    05-30-14 03:51 PM
    This post made me wonder - what's the screen size and ratio of the Classic...?

Posted via my beautiful Q10
    05-30-14 03:53 PM
    So I seem to miss the whole point of your thread and post.
    Plazmic Flame and Q10Bold like this.
    05-30-14 03:54 PM
    If you don't want BlackBerry Q10 or a touchscreen I think there is still some flip phones on eBay.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-14 03:54 PM
    I was really hoping for a slider but apparently that's wishful thinking. I really feel that the 1:1 ratio does limit certain apps but I don't really use that many myself so I don't mind much. There is no substitute for the keyboard even though I type way faster on my Z30. I'll save my judgement til I see this Q30 but was somewhat dissapointed at the 1:1 decision.

Posted via CB10
    Plazmic Flame and acovey like this.
    05-30-14 04:03 PM

Posted via my beautiful Q10
    The ratio of the Classic is going to be 1:1, which is the same as the Q10. It was stated by BlackBerry that the Classic would be compatible with the same apps that the Q10 uses.

So I seem to miss the whole point of your thread and post.
    The point was that I'm due for an upgrade, want to go with BlackBerry, but there is no QWERTY device worth getting in the lineup.

If you don't want BlackBerry Q10 or a touchscreen I think there is still some flip phones on eBay.

Posted via CB10
    Your sarcasm is appreciated...

I was really hoping for a slider but apparently that's wishful thinking. I really feel that the 1:1 ratio does limit certain apps but I don't really use that many myself so I don't mind much. There is no substitute for the keyboard even though I type way faster on my Z30. I'll save my judgement til I see this Q30 but was somewhat disappointing at the 1:1 decision.

Posted via CB10
    I don't use much apps myself and even the switch to BB10 would mean I lose a the few apps that I use but I would be willing to even give those up if there was a BlackBerry device, with physical keyboard and a taller screen. A slider would be the compromise and even that I would settle for; it would have the large screen and the physical keyboard underneath when needed/wanted. Sadly, that doesn't exist either.
    acovey likes this.
    05-30-14 04:29 PM
    From everything we know so far (i.e., until it's actually announced, this is what we know), the Classic is going to look just like the Q10 with the addition of the "belt", which includes the touchpad and the call buttons. It will still be a 720x720 1:1-ratio screen.
    SmileDahling likes this.
    05-30-14 04:31 PM
    What apps would you lose? Between Snap/Amazon/1mobileMarket and BlackBerry world there isn't anything I want that I don't have.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-14 06:48 PM
    Okay. Bring on the Windemere. I'm okay w out a trackpad now as I think I've moved beyond the 9900 trackpad - I use a Q10 and the whole belt thing is great but if it takes away my screensize, I'd rather have real-estate than the belt.

That 4.5" screen is nice. With a physical keypad, 10.3, and some kick-ace sound, I'm ready to move forward.

Posted via CB10
    OkieBloke likes this.
    05-30-14 08:39 PM
  11. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    I am with the OP, want the bold 9900 keyboard!!!!... with bigger screen and amazing camera...

Don't like the q10 keyboard and while I am using z30 and z10 now, and iphone 5, I want to get a powerhouse device which is qwerty!!!

Waiting.........

Posted via CB10
    acovey, Plazmic Flame and Doggerz like this.
    05-30-14 08:46 PM
    I had the Bold 9900, then got the Z10 and now have the Q10. I thought I would miss the larger screen on the Z10 (I especially like the LCD display) but am actually quite surprised at how little I am missing the screen on the Z10. I find that I type better on the Q10 's keyboard than I did on my 9900 and I do not miss the track pad at all. I had purchased two Q10s before this one and returned them because I was looking for the 9900 experience. But decided to give this one an honest try and after about three weeks, am loving it. The screen ratio does not bother me as much either. The shortcuts, battery life and form factor are worthwhile trade offs for me.

Good luck with ur decision and totally understanding ur points.

Sent from my Q10 or Z10.
    05-31-14 09:01 AM
    A slider is the way to go.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    Doggerz likes this.
    06-01-14 01:14 AM
    I do not type fast, so virtual input speed has no bearing on my handset purchasing conclusions.

A product does not feel real to me unless I have some way to actually 'feel' a physical and emotional connection to it.

By November, the choices you have will become much clearer.

Its a tough wait but just know what you want and stick with that.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    06-01-14 03:24 AM
    I think the Windermere will be worth getting. Please wait for it. I think you'll like it, as the screen is massive.

Quality Poultry - Channel PIN: C004B64D1
    06-01-14 03:53 AM
    To me it seems like your expectations don't fit exactly to any device available or announced by now. You could wait for the Q20 but I fear it wouldn't be of any more advantage than the Q10 to you.
    So the windermere could be an option. Still, we don't know what this device will actually be and when it will be available.

You stated that web browsing is a very important thing to you. Well, I personally don't have any problems with web browsing on the Q10. It's solid and it works. However if you want to focus on web browsing and multimedia I think a qwerty phone will never be the best option. You will always have some shortcomings with a keyboard phone when it comes to browsing.
    TgeekB likes this.
    06-01-14 05:28 AM
    I am with the OP, want the bold 9900 keyboard!!!!... with bigger screen and amazing camera...

Don't like the q10 keyboard and while I am using z30 and z10 now, and iphone 5, I want to get a powerhouse device which is qwerty!!!

Waiting.........

Posted via CB10
    Really??? WHY?!?!? I L O V E the Q10 keyboard!

Posted from my awesome Q10 via CB10.
    06-01-14 06:37 AM
    Really??? WHY?!?!? I L O V E the Q10 keyboard!

Posted from my awesome Q10 via CB10.
    Yeah!!!For me q10 keyboard trumps 9900 because of the width and spacing between the keys.It could be like I adapted to its straight design and I don't feel 9900 keyboard is better than q10.

Posted from my Black Beast Q10
    06-01-14 08:07 AM
    Okay. Bring on the Windemere. I'm okay w out a trackpad now as I think I've moved beyond the 9900 trackpad - I use a Q10 and the whole belt thing is great but if it takes away my screensize, I'd rather have real-estate than the belt.

That 4.5" screen is nice. With a physical keypad, 10.3, and some kick-ace sound, I'm ready to move forward.

Posted via CB10
    The toolbelt does not affect the screen size. The lack of screen size is the result of the 1:1 screen choice. The Q20 would not have a larger screen if there was no toolbelt.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-14 08:56 AM