Why so much negativity from users that don't even have the Z10 yet. I am from the UK and actually have a Z10, I'm not moaning. Blackberry are playing catchup from a starting point of zero for a new platform that has been out for 4 days yet because there aren't apps to suit everyone right from the start it's a fail! If you are only buying the Z10 for apps that you want immediately and don't have patience or workarounds stick to IOS or Android. Lets face it IOS is just a gateway for Apps as IOS is rather dated now. Android the less said about the quality of a lot of the apps available the better, and yes I have a Nexus 4 and Iphone 5 so I am able to form my own judgement. Give it time for the ecosystem to build, moaning when the phone hasn't even been released in your country yet is rather sad and just detrimental to the Blackberry 10 as a whole.
    The country is irrelevant. Anyone can visit the Blackberry World app store from a PC and set the filters to show all currently available z10 apps, and it's not pretty. Blackberry said they would launch an improved app store, and they failed to do so. Why? Because it's still queuing the same old list of old BB Playbook apps that were on the Blackberry Playbook since more than a year ago to the top of the list!

Go point yourself directly over to Blackberry World. Do you see what I just saw? TWO FRIGGIN FLASHLIGHT APPS are on the first page of top rated apps! Ugh! So even if some good apps are making their way onto BB10, BB in their infinite wisdom has allowed the ratings from OS7 and Playbook to carry over so that flashlight apps are bumping out well know popular apps that are making their first appearance on the z10. Great thinking guys.

That's not a "moan". The rating system I just mentioned above IS happening. It's a far from ideal way to display your app selection to potential customers. That's called constructive criticism. People who lump together all criticisms under terms like "whining/moaning" etc like you just did are the same people who never get positive changes made. In fact, I'd argue that YOU are just as detrimental to the situation as the people who actually ARE whining instead of criticizing. No better.
    93Aero and aniym like this.
    02-05-13 12:04 AM
    Blackberry announces they have 70,000 apps at launch of BB10. They also said they have 90% of the top 600 apps.
    So what is a reasonable expectation percentages of these apps being in BB World today. 30-60%.??? I don't think they even have 30%.
    Maybe I'm just a whiner or maybe it's because I went through this waiting game with the Playbook and I'm still waiting.
    richardat likes this.
    02-05-13 12:33 AM
    The country is irrelevant. Anyone can visit the Blackberry World app store from a PC and set the filters to show all currently available z10 apps, and it's not pretty. Blackberry said they would launch an improved app store, and they failed to do so. Why? Because it's still queuing the same old list of old BB Playbook apps that were on the Blackberry Playbook since more than a year ago to the top of the list!

Go point yourself directly over to Blackberry World. Do you see what I just saw? TWO FRIGGIN FLASHLIGHT APPS are on the first page of top rated apps! Ugh! So even if some good apps are making their way onto BB10, BB in their infinite wisdom has allowed the ratings from OS7 and Playbook to carry over so that flashlight apps are bumping out well know popular apps that are making their first appearance on the z10. Great thinking guys.

That's not a "moan". The rating system I just mentioned above IS happening. It's a far from ideal way to display your app selection to potential customers. That's called constructive criticism. People who lump together all criticisms under terms like "whining/moaning" etc like you just did are the same people who never get positive changes made. In fact, I'd argue that YOU are just as detrimental to the situation as the people who actually ARE whining instead of criticizing. No better.
    Did you actually even READ my comments, if you did you would have noticed that they were not directed at the rating system used or the way they are displayed etc it was directed at the OP complaining about a LACK of apps, maybe if you addressed my actual reply it might help.
    02-05-13 04:49 AM
    Did you actually even READ my comments, if you did you would have noticed that they were not directed at the rating system used or the way they are displayed etc it was directed at the OP complaining about a LACK of apps, maybe if you addressed my actual reply it might help.
    Cool
    /10 char
    02-05-13 08:05 AM
    Blackberry announces they have 70,000 apps at launch of BB10. They also said they have 90% of the top 600 apps.
    Actually to be fair, i'm not sure RIM said anything about having 90% of the top 600 apps. I'm pretty sure it was tweeted from @blackberryscoops (who is as credible as OJ Simpson) and people ran with it.
    mikeo007 and richardat like this.
    02-05-13 11:35 AM
    Actually to be fair, i'm not sure RIM said anything about having 90% of the top 600 apps. I'm pretty sure it was tweeted from @blackberryscoops (who is as credible as OJ Simpson) and people ran with it.
    watch the BB10 launched. You will see Thorsten himself say that they have 1000 of the top apps.
    02-05-13 11:46 AM
    watch the BB10 launched. You will see Thorsten himself say that they have 1000 of the top apps.
    Right, but he doesn't offer any more of the equation. They could have 1000 of the top 10000 apps.

The 90% of the top 600 was never confirmed by anyone from BlackBerry afaik.
    richardat likes this.
    02-05-13 11:52 AM
    Maybe they did, i'm not sure. The only thing I find disconcerting is the whole "commited" thing in regards to the apps. Whatsapp was supposed to have been announced on launch day, but I guess it turns out they're "commited", or "Coming Soon", which reminds me of the old RIM, where email on the PB was "Coming Soon" 10 months later..
    02-05-13 11:54 AM
    apps apps apps apps apps!!!!!

I will die without apps!!

I have a buddy with a 9900 and he was saying BB doesnt have enough apps. Me and the rest of my friends laughed cause he still uses the 9900 and isnt going to switch.

I know I need at least 100 good apps. Cause thats what I use daily.

Has anyone here ever used the internet and websites? It works pretty good for a lot of stuff, continually updates so you dont need to download anything and theres several options. If you are impatient and need apps I have an amazing solution, go android or ios. So simple. I'm sure what BB provides will be good for billions of people. But I know, we all need all these apps. Even my friend. So easy to mold peoples perceptions. I've been using my iphone and i find it funny/annoying cause they will always have this bar on the top of the website on for an app to download for the site I'm on. Cause I guess I 'need' this app.
    02-05-13 11:58 AM
    Maybe they did, i'm not sure. The only thing I find disconcerting is the whole "commited" thing in regards to the apps. Whatsapp was supposed to have been announced on launch day, but I guess it turns out they're "commited", or "Coming Soon", which reminds me of the old RIM, where email on the PB was "Coming Soon" 10 months later..
    Good thing you dont use BB huh?

Edit: I had sent you two private msgs but didnt see anything in my sent box so not sure if you got them.
    02-05-13 11:59 AM
    Making excuses for the lack of apps (and "use the internet") is as lame as "why don't you sideload".

The apps were announced at launch and still aren't there. Admit it. It's pretty easy.

Enough with the excuses. I know it makes you feel better.
    02-05-13 12:00 PM
    apps apps apps apps apps!!!!!

I will die without apps!!

I have a buddy with a 9900 and he was saying BB doesnt have enough apps. Me and the rest of my friends laughed cause he still uses the 9900 and isnt going to switch.

I know I need at least 100 good apps. Cause thats what I use daily.

Has anyone here ever used the internet and websites? It works pretty good for a lot of stuff, continually updates so you dont need to download anything and theres several options. If you are impatient and need apps I have an amazing solution, go android or ios. So simple. I'm sure what BB provides will be good for billions of people. But I know, we all need all these apps. Even my friend. So easy to mold peoples perceptions. I've been using my iphone and i find it funny/annoying cause they will always have this bar on the top of the website on for an app to download for the site I'm on. Cause I guess I 'need' this app.
    How well does that website work when your working in the middle of the bush with little signal, and need to find the nearest cell tower in order to aim your signal booster? Oh that's right, pretty hard to bring that up on your phone or laptop when you don't have any signal, and yet is no problem whatsoever using a signal finder app.

As to your PM, yes I got it, and I emailed you directly. So i'm guessing your email address was incorrect
    02-05-13 12:07 PM
    Making excuses for the lack of apps (and "use the internet") is as lame as "why don't you sideload".

The apps were announced at launch and still aren't there. Admit it. It's pretty easy.

They aren't there. Its a new platform. Do you have a Z10? I don't. If I didnt I wouldnt care. I'm not an app-freak.

It doesnt make me feel better, I'm trying to help the people who seem to be dying over the fact they arent there. Again, I dont own a BB10 device, but when I was using my 9900 I didnt have any problems with apps. Does seem early to complain though. Especially coming from the majority of people who dont own devices.

As for you, if you do own one, I'm perplexed, you constantly bash BB, to buy a BB10 devices seems completely idiotic. So I gotta assume you either didn't buy one (would be even more amazing if someone living in New Jersey who has constantly shown their dislike for BB went to the trouble to get one) or you are one of those people who just complains about everything in life no matter what.

I feel so much better now. Without apps on a phone I dont use I'm almost dying.
    02-05-13 12:10 PM
    I'm fervently hoping Blackberry is promising it "will" have them. Because as of right now those 1000 top apps are not there.
    Perhaps your definition of top apps is not the same? Ie.

They have a list of the top 1000 selling apps/apps used over the last year and you're looking at what's in the list exactly today. Or they have a list of the top 1000 most commonly used apps on a regular basis.
    02-05-13 12:11 PM
    Yes, I have a Z10. I will wait for software upgrades and apps before I use it as my primary mobile device.
    02-05-13 12:18 PM
    How well does that website work when your working in the middle of the bush with little signal, and need to find the nearest cell tower in order to aim your signal booster? Oh that's right, pretty hard to bring that up on your phone or laptop when you don't have any signal, and yet is no problem whatsoever using a signal finder app.

As to your PM, yes I got it, and I emailed you directly. So i'm guessing your email address was incorrect
    So apps dont need the internet?

Last time I was without signal was when I was a few weeks ago in Iowa. For some reason T-mobile has zero signal there and I couldnt get a connection. Before that? Well, traveling overseas, K, bad examples. I don't go into bushes that often. I guess if you live in the bush apps that dont require the internet (close to if not 100% of the ones I use do) would be handy, like netflix and skyp (lol). I actually find my iphone and laptop pretty useless without an internet connection.
    02-05-13 12:24 PM
    So apps dont need the internet?

Last time I was without signal was when I was a few weeks ago in Iowa. For some reason T-mobile has zero signal there and I couldnt get a connection. Before that? Well, traveling overseas, K, bad examples. I don't go into bushes that often. I guess if you live in the bush apps that dont require the internet (close to if not 100% of the ones I use do) would be handy, like netflix and skyp (lol). I actually find my iphone and laptop pretty useless without an internet connection.
    Signal finder apps dont require internet, no. And I wasn't aware that you could use Whatsapp over a web page, as this is what I was referencing when you jumped in and started screaming APPS!! I don't care how much you like or dislike apps, the point is, the majority of users DO want them and like them. Good for you if you like bookmarking web pages and then going and entering info into the tiny boxes on your phone. Personally, I prefer well designed apps.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    02-05-13 12:29 PM
    Perhaps your definition of top apps is not the same? Ie.

They have a list of the top 1000 selling apps/apps used over the last year and you're looking at what's in the list exactly today. Or they have a list of the top 1000 most commonly used apps on a regular basis.
    Whatever his definition is, i'm sure when Thorsten referenced having 1000 of the top apps, he wasn't referring to Flashlight and Solitiare apps. Actually, maybe he was, and we were just reading more into it.. /shrug Who knows..
    02-05-13 12:31 PM
    90% of the top 600 came from Frank Boulben in this article:

"The RIM CMO said BB10 will launch with at least 70,000 applications and has strong developer support. RIM has been targeting the top 600 apps in major markets and Boulben said that BB10 will support roughly 90 percent of those apps"

He didn't say when I guess...

RIM to hit multiple price points with range of BlackBerry 10 devices - FierceWireless
    mikeo007 likes this.
    02-05-13 12:55 PM
    90% of the top 600 came from Frank Boulben in this article:

"The RIM CMO said BB10 will launch with at least 70,000 applications and has strong developer support. RIM has been targeting the top 600 apps in major markets and Boulben said that BB10 will support roughly 90 percent of those apps"

He didn't say when I guess...

RIM to hit multiple price points with range of BlackBerry 10 devices - FierceWireless
    "Support" is a pretty sketchy word to use there too...hmm.
    For instance, BB10 will never "support" apps like iMovie or pages which are both in the top 20. It also won't support some of the top Android apps due to different functionality.
    02-05-13 12:58 PM
    I'm really getting sick of the complaints about lack of apps. This was known beforehand. 70,000 is not a lot given that the competitors have more than that in just garbage apps alone and I'm sure what is there serves enough people for now. The slow development of apps are because of the developers. BB put everything in front of them and said please join us. So what happened? Developers wait to see if it will be worth their time and effort. This constant complaining about BB is making the mountain they are currently fighting to climb ever steeper. People see these complaints everywhere and stay away from this new device because of it. And then what? Sales slow and the developers turn away and BB's mountain becomes a deep deep hole once again. What you say on these forums can turn millions away. Just google anything BB and there is CB in the top 3 hits.

Also, nobody dare compare this to the PlayBook launch. This phone has all the functionality that killed PlayBook at launch. It can do so much more. The reason why no developer leaped at making apps for PB was because RIM fudged it and customers ran away and didn't look back. Now that BB has done it right and developers are still sitting on their haunches waiting to see if it will be worth it to start developing for the new phone, all you complainers are driving potential customers away from BB10 by blaming BB for not having apps. Then the developers turn away and then where are we with apps? So stop complaining and go tell all the developers of your gazillion favourite apps to get off their a$$es because you want to use their apps on your device of choice. This will be more productive for everyone.
    02-05-13 01:16 PM
    Signal finder apps dont require internet, no. And I wasn't aware that you could use Whatsapp over a web page, as this is what I was referencing when you jumped in and started screaming APPS!! I don't care how much you like or dislike apps, the point is, the majority of users DO want them and like them. Good for you if you like bookmarking web pages and then going and entering info into the tiny boxes on your phone. Personally, I prefer well designed apps.
    Well, i feel for those who have a Z10 and can't use whatsapp. BBM/TXT hopefully hold them over until Whatsapp releases their app. APP!!

One thing I'd point out is even though I may seem like this oddball, the group of people posting in these forums are the minority and would tend to be more app-centric. I'll agree most people 'want' apps. Just like my buddy with his bold 9900. The reality is do people use/need them or do they just think they do cause thats what they've been told. I'll agree there are people like you who need them. But I'd strongly argue you are in the minority and at bb10's launch there is likely enough apps there to please the overwhelming majority of users (looks like sales are doing alright so far) and things are only going to get better. Developers develop and they pretty much are developing for bb10 whether they go android, ios or html5. Pretty brilliant. I just hope this stupid app-restriction with things like netflix stops. Lets hope sales continue to go well and people have no choice but to bring their 'apps' to BB.

edit: Smartphone tip. Webpages can be saved as homepage icons (ios and BB for sure, not sure about 'droid) so you dont have to bookmark them
    02-05-13 01:31 PM

I would disagree with the 'use the internet' and 'sideloading' ... those ARE options, and very valid ones, although internet over sideloading because SLing isnt really an everyday user feature.

but i agree 100% that the apps they promised are not there! went in to get skype... NOTHING. Im not a big app person, but this is pretty lazy on their part. I know other companies do the same, so to me it isnt a big deal... but it is pretty weird.
    02-05-13 01:31 PM
    I'm really getting sick of the complaints about lack of apps. This was known beforehand. 70,000 is not a lot given that the competitors have more than that in just garbage apps alone and I'm sure what is there serves enough people for now. The slow development of apps are because of the developers. BB put everything in front of them and said please join us. So what happened? Developers wait to see if it will be worth their time and effort. This constant complaining about BB is making the mountain they are currently fighting to climb ever steeper. People see these complaints everywhere and stay away from this new device because of it. And then what? Sales slow and the developers turn away and BB's mountain becomes a deep deep hole once again. What you say on these forums can turn millions away. Just google anything BB and there is CB in the top 3 hits.

Also, nobody dare compare this to the PlayBook launch. This phone has all the functionality that killed PlayBook at launch. It can do so much more. The reason why no developer leaped at making apps for PB was because RIM fudged it and customers ran away and didn't look back. Now that BB has done it right and developers are still sitting on their haunches waiting to see if it will be worth it to start developing for the new phone, all you complainers are driving potential customers away from BB10 by blaming BB for not having apps. Then the developers turn away and then where are we with apps? So stop complaining and go tell all the developers of your gazillion favourite apps to get off their a$$es because you want to use their apps on your device of choice. This will be more productive for everyone.
    y do the customers have to do BB jobs? BB should been having developers making apps for them. Don't blame anyone but BB. its their job. no one profit other than them if the phone is successful. they need a better job at attracting developers. plain and simple

the customers have every right to complaint about anything as long as its a valid concern. app is a real concern. no one care how great your OS is if there is no support on it. app is what make the phone functional. try using a phone without any app. see how far it goes

there is a reason why things get better, because people complaint and hopefully company will get it right sooner or later. should we all sit quietly and "hope" things get better because its BB in which we trust? i dont even understand whats up with brand loyalty. this is a damn cell phone for god sake.
    02-05-13 01:40 PM
    Well, i feel for those who have a Z10 and can't use whatsapp. BBM/TXT hopefully hold them over until Whatsapp releases their app. APP!!

One thing I'd point out is even though I may seem like this oddball, the group of people posting in these forums are the minority and would tend to be more app-centric. I'll agree most people 'want' apps. Just like my buddy with his bold 9900. The reality is do people use/need them or do they just think they do cause thats what they've been told. I'll agree there are people like you who need them. But I'd strongly argue you are in the minority and at bb10's launch there is likely enough apps there to please the overwhelming majority of users (looks like sales are doing alright so far) and things are only going to get better. Developers develop and they pretty much are developing for bb10 whether they go android, ios or html5. Pretty brilliant. I just hope this stupid app-restriction with things like netflix stops. Lets hope sales continue to go well and people have no choice but to bring their 'apps' to BB.

edit: Smartphone tip. Webpages can be saved as homepage icons (ios and BB for sure, not sure about 'droid) so you dont have to bookmark them
    This is a pretty tired argument IMO. Sure, many people probably don't "need" all the apps they use. But really, a lot of those people probably don't "need" a smartphone either. Technology in general is more of a "want" than a need for the average consumer.

I don't need a car with A/C, but if I had the option, why would I take one without it?
    02-05-13 01:50 PM
123 12345